Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyelkin posted:

really seems to me like 40% of voters are ride or die for the dems no matter what, 40% of voters are ride or die for the republicans no matter what, and the remaining 20% just hate whoever is currently in charge because nobody ever improves material conditions

Obviously true, though I'm surprised so many throw in for the democrats because the republicans do actually deliver for their base whereas the dems, not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

vyelkin posted:

really seems to me like 40% of voters are ride or die for the dems no matter what, 40% of voters are ride or die for the republicans no matter what, and the remaining 20% just hate whoever is currently in charge because nobody ever improves material conditions

Lol you're seriously overestimating the 20% swing voters there, who mostly are just swayed by completely asinine bullshit.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

LastInLine posted:

Obviously true, though I'm surprised so many throw in for the democrats because the republicans do actually deliver for their base whereas the dems, not so much

republicans only deliver for their base in some really specific ways that require you to be a religious lunatic or a fascist or just wildly racist in ways that even a lot of Americans can't stomach

so basically a lot of people aren't going to throw in for them no matter what, at least for a while longer

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

republicans only deliver for their base in some really specific ways that require you to be a religious lunatic or a fascist or just wildly racist in ways that even a lot of Americans can't stomach

so basically a lot of people aren't going to throw in for them no matter what, at least for a while longer

Yeah it's obvious I'm way underestimating the ability of Americans to perceive of politics outside of RvD. You're 100% correct

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Lol you're seriously overestimating the 20% swing voters there, who mostly are just swayed by completely asinine bullshit.

well yeah asinine bullshit is the only thing to be swayed by when nobody ever does anything to actually meaningfully improve your life

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyelkin posted:

well yeah asinine bullshit is the only thing to be swayed by when nobody ever does anything to actually meaningfully improve your life

Precisely. If no option will actually benefit you, you're left with only trivial differentiators to choose from and in America it increasingly is spite. I haven't heard of anyone voting for any other reason since 2008 since that was the last time anyone promised to do anything at all for them (and they didn't). Since then it's all been about who you want to see owned

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

vyelkin posted:

drat that's very inciteful

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Yeah it's obvious I'm way underestimating the ability of Americans to perceive of politics outside of RvD. You're 100% correct

Yeah, the only reasonable response to the state of US politics right now is "gently caress this poo poo" but most people aren't ready for that leap at all or even close to it. So for those people it's a choice between Democrats and the party that's teetering on the edge of literal pogroms at all times.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

zegermans posted:

drat that's very inciteful

Quite to the contrary, it hasn't incited anything

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

like there's a reason that it's taking the world practically ending before mainstream voters even begin to question the democrats' insistence that every election is the most important election ever in the world

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

vyelkin posted:

90% of people dont really care about anyone outside their friends and family, the party divide is between people raised in places where being conservative is considered cool and people raised in places where being liberal is considered cool

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
lmfao that the democrats in 2021 prove schmitt's claim that liberalism's focus on form and procedure paralyses them from actually changing anything.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

extreme polarization cuts both ways, the same way Trump had a solid core of 40% support no matter what happened from day to day, Biden does too even though he's an empty suit with a D on the back

Republicans have a solid 35% and Democrats have a solid 30% now each can lose about five percent if they royally gently caress up like GWB did but still it means a majority of the country 55% are entirely enslaved to the big two. Now continued decline under the GOP under Trump 2nd term could make this less but I do believe that effectively at this point whatever comes to take over will have to accept it is effectively disenfranchising half the country due to them having brain worms for the big two.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Dec 20, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

lmfao that the democrats in 2021 prove schmitt's claim that liberalism's focus on form and procedure paralyses them from actually changing anything.

What more does liberalism have to accomplish? We live in a unipolar wholly neoliberal world, their project is complete. Liberals only have to defend the status quo, they have nothing left to build.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Sucks that it's only 20%

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Sucks that it's only 20%

the good news is that 60% of the country automatically hates whoever is in charge, which is a recipe for really great outcomes

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

that white with college ain't gonna look so good in about 3 months lol

not necessarily, there was a poll that showed greater support for student loan forgiveness among those with no college than those with college
i mean there will definitely be a drop in support in that category, it just might not be catastrophic

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

missed the meltdown and now im really mad about it

there will be more, and they will be more nuclear than this poo poo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Doctor Jeep posted:

not necessarily, there was a poll that showed greater support for student loan forgiveness among those with no college than those with college
i mean there will definitely be a drop in support in that category, it just might not be catastrophic

Yeah "with college" includes a lot of older people, who are generally really stupid and moralistic about student loans

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

most of the country (correctly) doesn't give a poo poo about politics, which is ofc by design. when polled they'll respond to party favorability however they feel, which I guarantee right now is still 100% predicated on if they think trump is cool. If they were dragged to a voting booth they'd probably vote the way they polled, but no one gives a poo poo (again, correctly). The only reasons Joe Biden won is because of the Floyd protests motivating the youth and COVID making mail-ins way easier.

Now everyone who isn't a suburbanite wife of a retired hedge fund manager loving hates the democrats. When polled they'll still say they prefer D to R but there's no way they're coming out to vote especially since the only messaging they've been getting and will get for the next 3 years is and will be "this is your fault. we owe you nothing. it's your duty to vote for us you pathetic worm"

if (when) trump runs again it's going to make the VBNMW voters flip their poo poo again but they were going to vote anyway. Even if we got Floyd-scale summer protests again right before the election people would recognize Democrat complicity in a way they didn't last time, because they're in charge, after all.

also based on how accurate polls have been I bet the places and people polled are specifically arranged to produce the most exciting horse race news content. I'd bet if you got every single american into a voting booth it'd break D because most people generally hate the republicans, but I think if you were to accurately capture likely voters in these coming elections would break extremely hard R because who the gently caress is going to waste their time standing in line all day to vote so that these wrinkled old perverts can continue to do jack poo poo? Maybe 2024 won't be *that* bad (solid loss but not a blowout) if voter suppression doesn't completely destroy the mail-in vote, but everything else is going to be a democrat bloodbath

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

most of the country (correctly) doesn't give a poo poo about politics, which is ofc by design. when polled they'll respond to party favorability however they feel, which I guarantee right now is still 100% predicated on if they think trump is cool. If they were dragged to a voting booth they'd probably vote the way they polled, but no one gives a poo poo (again, correctly). The only reasons Joe Biden won is because of the Floyd protests motivating the youth and COVID making mail-ins way easier.

Now everyone who isn't a suburbanite wife of a retired hedge fund manager loving hates the democrats. When polled they'll still say they prefer D to R but there's no way they're coming out to vote especially since the only messaging they've been getting and will get for the next 3 years is and will be "this is your fault. we owe you nothing. it's your duty to vote for us you pathetic worm"

if (when) trump runs again it's going to make the VBNMW voters flip their poo poo again but they were going to vote anyway. Even if we got Floyd-scale summer protests again right before the election people would recognize Democrat complicity in a way they didn't last time, because they're in charge, after all.

also based on how accurate polls have been I bet the places and people polled are specifically arranged to produce the most exciting horse race news content. I'd bet if you got every single american into a voting booth it'd break D because most people generally hate the republicans, but I think if you were to accurately capture likely voters in these coming elections would break extremely hard R because who the gently caress is going to waste their time standing in line all day to vote so that these wrinkled old perverts can continue to do jack poo poo? Maybe 2024 won't be *that* bad (solid loss but not a blowout) if voter suppression doesn't completely destroy the mail-in vote, but everything else is going to be a democrat bloodbath

i'd like to look inside the head of the person who voted for biden because of george floyd - a man killed in a blue city in a blue state, lol

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

that just never entered the calculus for most people, and like Kaepernick and everything else it just became about Trump. The protests got people animated and desirous of political activity and they wanted someone to Do Something and Biden wasn't Trump and seemed like he would help. In that light maybe the Biden presidency will be good if it gets a lot more people to recognize the complicity of the democrats in all this.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Shh.. Dont let out that blues are more racist and classist.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/taragolshan/status/1472950062531629060

lmao

just like everyone in cspam predicted, manchin knew from the start that he would kill the bill and was just stringing the rest of the party along for fun

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Manchin got to be the belle of the ball for nearly a year lol. Good job everyone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

https://twitter.com/taragolshan/status/1472950062531629060

lmao

just like everyone in cspam predicted, manchin knew from the start that he would kill the bill and was just stringing the rest of the party along for fun

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

Sleepy Joe was so sad, desperate and low energy he tolerated this diva behavior for weeks.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Manchin got to be the belle of the ball for nearly a year lol. Good job everyone.

ok sure, but you also have to take into account how everyone else looked weak and ineffectual, while staking their own credibility on the eventual success of the process

and at least it all came to a conclusion at a good time where it didn't feed into multiple other major news stories about Democrats abandoning their promises while completely failing to govern

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Doctor Jeep posted:

yeah it probably won't crater because those are the most dem dems but it's only got to go down 3% more to be underwater lol

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Crowsbeak posted:

Lol. The Latino numbers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyanGirdusky/status/1472948896108363778

Also non white overall. Dems deserve to die like the whigs.

If you dig into the poll, the college degree divide is the same for white voters (white college degree = +6% approval, white no degree = -30% approval) as it is for the entire population (college degree = +10% approval, no college degree = -30% approval). Educational attainment is the single most important sorting factor between the parties right now.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
if you're voting for dems or repubs and you're NOT motivated by absurd bullshit, then you are a pure psychopath. It means you either like republican policies, which only a few wackos do, or you somehow believe the democrats have a coherent political project, which would have to be a fabrication of your own imagination since the democrats do everything they can to point out that they don't.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

If you dig into the poll, the college degree divide is the same for white voters (white college degree = +6% approval, white no degree = -30% approval) as it is for the entire population (college degree = +10% approval, no college degree = -30% approval). Educational attainment is the single most important sorting factor between the parties right now.

you'd think they'd start offering free college to try and expand their base

lol. lmao.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

LastInLine posted:

What more does liberalism have to accomplish? We live in a unipolar wholly neoliberal world, their project is complete. Liberals only have to defend the status quo, they have nothing left to build.

The Liberal project is to stop history, but not to end it.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Dems bummed out their bbw negotiations fell off and have to make up something to waste time to change nothing as

They(y) get destroyed in 2022

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

DoubleDonut posted:

honestly, the likes of Jon Chait and Concerned Citizen losing hope is making me feel more hopeful than I have since Bernie won Nevada

accelerationism ftw

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nope, wrong

https://twitter.com/ameseh/status/1472964257188745225?s=20

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

amy here is one dumb motherfucker

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"well i think the dems have learned something from being monumentally useless pieces of poo poo" lmao no

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think we're ever going to have to deal with a Democratic presidential candidate [...] again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

hahaha they're all so dumb holy poo poo