Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why am I seeing "The population in South Africa skews younger so..." come up so often in comments about Omicron severity? Surely their stats include the age of the patients?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why am I seeing "The population in South Africa skews younger so..." come up so often in comments about Omicron severity? Surely their stats include the age of the patients?

Most of the news stories and numbers being presented are for the population as a whole without the breakdowns. So this is appended to ensure that people don't mistakenly project the percentages as a whole to other countries.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Three things:

1) if your covid caution is more important to you than your marginal dollar, and you have a lot of disposable cash, then you can have an at-home PCR-equivalent exam that turns around results in 20 minutes via https://shop.cuehealth.com/pages/memberships. It used to be only available via institutions (e.g., NBA players, certain Google employees), but now you can get it at home.

2) In related news, there are no Binax tests available within an 80 mile radius of me, according to every pharmacy/walmart/etc I called today. Can't tell if this is good news or bad news.

3) I have been playing around with https://gabgoh.github.io/COVID/index.html today, just trying to get a sense of the scale of the health system stress over the next month or two. For the major variables, I put in:

* .2% as the CFR of delta in vaccinated persons (which is what I found in some studies)
* a hospitalization rate of .8% (which is what Denmark, a highly vaccinated population, has been ballparking in the early days for Omicron)
* an R0 of 6, which is my read of where Trevor Bedford estimates it to be for Omicron (could be a bit lower, could be 2x higher, in his projections)

Obviously, these are rough numbers. My guess is that they are somewhat optimistic, because this doesn't factor in an increased CFR from inadequate care, and the CFR among the unvaccinated will be higher than .2%, I suspect. On the other hand, it doesn't involve any of the homeostatic reaction of people undertaking NPIs themselves out of caution. But it would have to be quite a bit rosier than this to avoid the projections of the model, which top out around 120k new hospitalizations a day and 15k deaths a day sometime around late January.

(epistemic confidence: i'm just some guy plugging numbers into calculators)

Petey fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 20, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Good interview from yesterday with Trevor Bedford on why cases in SA appear to have peaked, how Omicron might unfold in the US, other things:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/12/the-south-africa-omicron-wave-is-already-peaking-why.html

I don't have a lot of time to try and summarize it right now but it's a good read and imo pretty level-headed

e:

Petey posted:

* an R0 of 6, which is my read of where Trevor Bedford estimates it to be for Omicron (could be a bit lower, could be 2x higher, in his projections)
Bedford seems to estimate an initial Rt of around three in the interview linked above

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 20, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Not just "the population of South Africa skews younger", but also the initial demographics of the Omicron wave skewed younger than previous waves. And no, most of what's being reported is population-level statistics that don't account for age or anything else. Even the age-stratified statistics released by SA MoH don't seem to account for prior infection (which could be a huge factor with high seroprevalence and immune evasion).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

Bedford seems to estimate an initial Rt of around three in the interview linked above

Rt is different that R0. Rt reflects the average reproduction in the current population (with precautions + vax + prior exposure etc), while R0 attempts to remove at least NPIs and vaccinations and current level of prior exposure to reflect baseline reproduction that can then be modified by interventions/infections that confer some protections. R0 is still tricky to pin down too, because it's still population-dependent and what exactly gets included can depend on modeling goals. This is a pretty good brief discussion of how tricky things can get.

E: Should have looked at Petey's post, sorry - if we're plugging it into an epi calculator we'd need to use Rt instead. Non-homogeneity of susceptibility and CFR can also affect outbreak dynamics, but I'm not sure by how much in this case.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 20, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Stickman posted:

Rt is different that R0. Rt reflects the average reproduction in the current population (with precautions + vax + prior exposure etc), while R0 attempts to remove at least NPIs and vaccinations and current level of prior exposure to reflect baseline reproduction that can then be modified by interventions/infections that confer some protections. R0 is still tricky to pin down too, because it's still population-dependent and what exactly gets included can depend on modeling goals. This is a pretty good brief discussion of how tricky things can get.

E: Should have looked at Petey's post - if we're plugging it into an epi calculator we'd need to use Rt instead!

Right, the calculator should be using Rt. I had thought that was in the range for Bedford from his tweet thread, but I'll go read that nymag link once I can find my way around the paywall.

e: if you take Rt at 3 for the U.S. — which seems optimistic? — you're still maxing around 50k hospitalizations a day, 7k deaths a day. As Stickman said, all of this is tricky.

e2: new from UVA

https://twitter.com/BPaves/status/1472729065459273736

Petey fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 20, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Petey posted:

I'll go read that nymag link once I can find my way around the paywall.

Here's a pdf print-out.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Would you call this file a...... pre-print?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Interesting thread on modeling transmissibility vs immune evasion using initial SA data from SA's modeling team. Their best-fit estimates are transmissibility ~2-4x greater than Delta with 25-50% immune evasion, but there are some scenarios that estimate higher immune escape and lower relative transmissibility (if SA's initial outbreak occured in a population with very high prior infection or Delta is reinfecting a much higher % than their best estimate).

https://twitter.com/saCOVID19mc/status/1472680175301283847

fosborb posted:

Would you call this file a...... pre-print?

Pfff, we don't bother with prints anymore.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not sure we ever DID know that delta was more deadly.

During the new york wave the actual ratio from cases in the US to deaths in the US was one death per 13 cases, now in the delta era we are around 1 death for 260 confirmed cases.

CLEARLY that isn't real. It's dead simple to know that isn't a real effect and I'm not claiming that is. It's obvious that it was just a result of testing barely existing during the new york original virus era.

But it also means all the real world death rate estimates for original vs delta are all pretty iffy. Delta killed way more people but because it spread much much more widely. The theory was it might also be more biologically dangerous. but that was with big error bars. If it was like 11% less fatal but just killed more because of bigger waves it's not like we measured with precision enough to actually have known. The estimates of delta ended up with it being very close to the original, with big estimate on top of estimate estimations on either's fatality. If it was some less deadly that would have fit within the estimate error bars.

It was more deadly to the *UN*vaccinated. New York by the time Delta got there was by the main a vaccinated population so yes the death rate was a hell of a lot lower as a result of that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Petey posted:

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1471654963419893762

I don’t like that this is his working hypothesis.

I mean, it’s a fine hypothesis, it’s just disastrous if true.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I need to get a job at the factory that just pays me to post random tweets with "looks bad guys!" over and over.

What even is "disastrous" about that tweet? South Africa isn't the only place on earth with large populations of vaccinated or recovered people. I doubt even 10% of the US is immunologically naive at this point.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Thank you!

There is a lot of stuff in there that was helpful to read. One thing that I'm not sure about is what both DWW and TB seem to assume, i.e that reinfections will be more mild. From Leonardi et al in Pathogens: https://www.mdpi.com/2076-0817/10/10/1267/htm

quote:

Some governments expect vaccines to enable future infections or reinfections to act as immune boosters [31], but there is evidence that even after multiple infections and full vaccination, reinfection can result in more severe disease [32]. A study of US healthcare workers found that hospitalization was more likely following reinfection [33]. The UK SIREN study suggested that although prior infection provided ~80% protection against reinfection at 5 months, compared with controls, symptomatic re-infections were still seen with high virus loads and potential for transmission.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It was more deadly to the *UN*vaccinated. New York by the time Delta got there was by the main a vaccinated population so yes the death rate was a hell of a lot lower as a result of that

There's a bit in this article Stickman linked where DWW and TB go back and forth about why the Delta death rate remained so high in the U.S. compared to the UK. It's not focused locally on NY specifically, more around the US.

The section is a bit confusing — I don't know if the transcription got some of TB's quotes wrong? — but it seems like they're trying to figure out if that difference means anything for Omicron. But I'd actually be curious what other people make of this section — starting with DWW saying Before we move on on page 5 — because I've now read it 2-3 times, and I've had at least a little caffeine, and I still can't quite make sense of what they're talking about. I *think* it's DWW saying "why did Delta kill so many people here at a given population vaccination rate, compared to other countries" and TB saying basically "yeah we don't really know."

So is this about hosed CDC data? Is it about vaccine spacing? Is it about us dramatically undercounting the denominator of positive cases so the CFR looks higher?

Platystemon posted:

I mean I hope it is wrong. In the article above, TB says attack rate of 50%, so maxing out at 160m cases, and talks about some British report saying "most pessimistic is last winter."

The last thing I don't understand about this article is DWW/TB saying "well look at the SA data, the hospitalization rate may have fallen by 91% in the last few weeks," which is also something Ghandhi has been touting. I guess I'm not sure how to factor in the lag here, because if we know cases lead hospitalizations by a few weeks, and we have a massive increase in cases due to enhanced spread, the rate is going to plummet in the short term. Certainly hope it's the case.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Something else that's been on my mind —

I worry a little bit about blue states / covid-cautious institutions, with strong testing and exclusion regimes, destabilizing themselves over the next few weeks. Let's say Omicron *is* much more mild but also *is* much more transmissable in a highly vaccinated population. I can easily imagine my university, with weekly PCR testing and a booster mandate, have lots of critical personnel — folks at the medical center, utilities, etc — getting exposed over holidays, popping PCR positive, and having to stay home from campus for 7-10 days under our current rules. At some point, do we run out of people to operate the utilities and the health clinic? Do we then have to revise our policies and procedures mid-outbreak? What kind of institutional trust will decay there?

Now take this and scale it up to hospitals and electrical grids in Massachusetts. I don't expect this specific thing to be an issue in Florida etc because I just expect people to come to work when they are sick but not sick enough to not work.

Note you already see this being trialed in the NFL, in terms of "don't need to test if you're vaccinated and asymptomatic," in order to keep the season going. The sports leagues have often led other major American institutions in their response all pandemic.

This issue is apparently one of the issues in the European response, see e.g. the report linked in this thread:

https://twitter.com/kniggem/status/1472643403435450368

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What even is "disastrous" about that tweet? South Africa isn't the only place on earth with large populations of vaccinated or recovered people. I doubt even 10% of the US is immunologically naive at this point.

Platyslemon wasn't saying what TB posted was disastrous, they were saying that *my* (incorrect) interpretation of R0 = 6 would be disastrous, if true.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Petey posted:

Is it about us dramatically undercounting the denominator of positive cases so the CFR looks higher?

For the initial new york outbreak?

It's that. it's clearly that. That isn't even a question. I don't think a single person on earth is actually suggesting that the actual original new york outbreak was only 5000 cases a day at it's peak killing 800 people a day. It just pre-dated the existence of any test of any sort, available to the public. The only people that maybe got presumed positive were people in the hospital with respiratory distress. Remember the debate early on if asymptomatic cases even EXISTED? because the idea of wasting tests on people without symptoms made it impossible to check?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Early testing priority was given to those already hospitalized, and those already hospitalized are more likely to die than your average case.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

For the initial new york outbreak?

No (although I do believe that is true too), if you read it, and as I said in my post, the article is asking that about everything post-vaccination/Delta in the U.S. Pages 5-8ish of the Stickman linked article.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Petey posted:

Platyslemon wasn't saying what TB posted was disastrous, they were saying that *my* (incorrect) interpretation of R0 = 6 would be disastrous, if true.

Nah.

Trevor Bedford’s working hypothesis is that Omicron is that it’s no less severe than Delta in any particular group—vaccinated, unvaccinated, recovered—it’s just infecting a larger fraction of vaccinated and recovered people, while potentially causing illness similar to Delta in the unvaccinated.

That’s a bad scenario for everyone.

Such behaviour would constitute a case of Simpson’s paradox, the textbook example which in medicine is the low birth-weight paradox. Underweight babies born to smokers have better health outcomes than underweight babies born to nonsmokers. So, should doctors recommend that parents-to-be who are at risk of having underweight babies take up cigarettes?

No. Smoking doesn’t make any babies healthier. What it does do is decrease birth weight across the board, moving otherwise healthy babies into the underweight category. These otherwise healthy babies are at higher risk for bad outcomes than if they were of normal weight and born to nonsmokers, but they are at lower risk than the “traditionally” underweight babies, e.g. from malnutrition. Smoking makes every baby sicker, but creates the illusion of making underweight babies healthier by diluting the small number of seriously sick underweight babies with only mildly sick babies.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Early testing priority was given to those already hospitalized, and those already hospitalized are more likely to die than your average case.

Very very early on a lot of people weren't even medically tested at all. A lot of early cases were diagnosed by symptoms.

Remember for the first months how every chart was split between "positives" and "presumed positives"

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Nah.

Trevor Bedford’s working hypothesis is that Omicron is that it’s no less severe than Delta in any particular group—vaccinated, unvaccinated, recovered—it’s just infecting a larger fraction of vaccinated and recovered people, while potentially causing illness similar to Delta in the unvaccinated.

That’s a bad scenario for everyone.

Such behaviour would constitute a case of Simpson’s paradox, the textbook example which in medicine is the low birth-weight paradox. Underweight babies born to smokers have better health outcomes than underweight babies born to nonsmokers. So, should doctors recommend that parents-to-be who are at risk of having underweight babies take up cigarettes?

No. Smoking doesn’t make any babies healthier. What it does do is decrease birth weight across the board, moving otherwise healthy babies into the underweight category. These otherwise healthy babies are at higher risk for bad outcomes than if they were of normal weight and born to nonsmokers, but they are at lower risk than the “traditionally” underweight babies, e.g. from malnutrition. Smoking makes every baby sicker, but creates the illusion of making underweight babies healthier by diluting the small number of seriously sick underweight babies with only mildly sick babies.

Got it, thanks for clarifying.

(my tired eyes somehow misread your "I don’t like that this is his working hypothesis" as "I don’t think that this is his working hypothesis")

Petey fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 20, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Petey posted:

Got it, thanks for clarifying.

(my tired eyes somehow misread your "I don’t like that this is his working hypothesis" as "I don’t think that this is his working hypothesis")

(This is why naked twitter link with some meaningless "woopsy poopsy, looks bad guys!" style posting is so annoying. Not even the people that it's supposed to agree with can follow what information is trying to be conveyed)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not only that, it was also more deadly to the vaccinated! Vaccine effectiveness against death was reduced by a factor of 2-3x, which on top of the 2-3x increase in risk of death means that breakthrough delta a cases are somewhere in the range of 4-9x more deadly than a breakthrough Alpha/wild type case.

It’s just that baseline risk is much lower than for unvaccinated folks ~ vaccines still reduce delta IFR by a huge amount (though eventually reduced somewhat by waning).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

And yes OoCC, we measure with enough accuracy by comparing like-to-like, ie rates of death for delta and alpha over transition periods, adjusted for relevant demographics. That’s why the error bars aren’t too large to distinguish hypotheses, a thing that you just pulled out of your rear end.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stickman posted:

Interesting thread on modeling transmissibility vs immune evasion using initial SA data from SA's modeling team. Their best-fit estimates are transmissibility ~2-4x greater than Delta with 25-50% immune evasion, but there are some scenarios that estimate higher immune escape and lower relative transmissibility (if SA's initial outbreak occured in a population with very high prior infection or Delta is reinfecting a much higher % than their best estimate).

https://twitter.com/saCOVID19mc/status/1472680175301283847

This model has delta diminishing as omicron grows; is that inevitable or likely? Most of the plots I've seen so far don't have it declining yet.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Petey posted:

Something else that's been on my mind —

I worry a little bit about blue states / covid-cautious institutions, with strong testing and exclusion regimes, destabilizing themselves over the next few weeks. Let's say Omicron *is* much more mild but also *is* much more transmissable in a highly vaccinated population. I can easily imagine my university, with weekly PCR testing and a booster mandate, have lots of critical personnel — folks at the medical center, utilities, etc — getting exposed over holidays, popping PCR positive, and having to stay home from campus for 7-10 days under our current rules. At some point, do we run out of people to operate the utilities and the health clinic? Do we then have to revise our policies and procedures mid-outbreak? What kind of institutional trust will decay there?

Now take this and scale it up to hospitals and electrical grids in Massachusetts. I don't expect this specific thing to be an issue in Florida etc because I just expect people to come to work when they are sick but not sick enough to not work.

Note you already see this being trialed in the NFL, in terms of "don't need to test if you're vaccinated and asymptomatic," in order to keep the season going. The sports leagues have often led other major American institutions in their response all pandemic.

Isn't that the end game though? Going back to the old normal where if you didn't have symptoms - aka being healthy - then you just go about your daily business in life just like before?

And public trust in the institutions has been eroded already because of shifting advice and moving goalposts? The OG reason why we went through lockdowns was to flatten the curve and ensure hospitals don't get overwhelmed. The understanding was that people are going to get infected but we keep the bed spaces open until everyone gets it and we have herd immunity or vaccines. Then we got the vaccines and if you were double vaxxed then you were OK but oh no breakthrough infections keep the health measures going. Case counts going up disaster looms! Now you aren't vaxxed unless it is 3 shots.

I understand the medical rational behind each decision and the need for caution. But at some point in time, and that time has come and gone for many people even in jurisdictions that have had a high tolerance for restrictive health measures, people are just going to start bending or outright breaking the rules because in their minds, even if they comply with the latest round of restrictions, this will never go away.

This is made worse by the decoupling of case counts and negative health outcomes. For example in Ontario, after the reopening in summer 2021, icu and hospitalizations were effectively flattened at a constant rate despite a small surge in September when people also rang alarm bells.

Public trust in health institutions and doctors are at an all time low. Everytime they urge caution and demand restrictions and nothing comes of it, the erosion worsens.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Stickman posted:

And yes OoCC, we measure with enough accuracy by comparing like-to-like, ie rates of death for delta and alpha over transition periods, adjusted for relevant demographics. That’s why the error bars aren’t too large to distinguish hypotheses, a thing that you just pulled out of your rear end.

Well, deaths per case went down comedically over time.

The assumption is that just means the obvious "we test better, we have better treatments, vaccines exist, the most vulnerable groups already faced it by now"

What has error bars is trying to reverse engineer those factors out. With the end results being "likely slightly more deadly with lower percent chance it's the same or less deadly". And no one is running the experiment where they inject a bunch of old ladies to get the exact answer.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1472903378325975047?s=20

This is preliminary and not peer-reviewed, and Moderna has obvious incentives to skew their findings. But it's better than nothing.
The article also suggests that in light of Omicron, Moderna's plan seems to be to focus on continuing production of the original vaccine, and testing an Omicron booster in "early" 2022 (possibly just shelving their Beta/Delta-targeted vaccines?).

quote:

A booster shot of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine significantly raises the level of antibodies that can thwart the Omicron variant, the company announced on Monday.

The news arrives as Omicron rapidly advances across the world, and most coronavirus vaccines seem unable to stave off infection from the highly contagious variant.

Moderna’s results show that the currently authorized booster dose of 50 micrograms — half the dose given for primary immunization — increased the level of antibodies by roughly 37-fold, the company said. A full dose of 100 micrograms was even more powerful, raising antibody levels about 83-fold compared with pre-boost levels, Moderna said.

Both doses produced side effects comparable to those seen after the two-dose primary series. But the dose of 100 micrograms showed slightly more frequent adverse reactions relative to the authorized 50-microgram dose.

The results are based on laboratory tests that do not capture the full range of the body’s immune response against the virus. Although vaccines may not prevent infection from the variant, they are expected to prevent severe illness in the vast majority of people.

The data have also not been published or reviewed by independent experts. Moderna said it was preparing a manuscript with the data that would be posted online.

The pharmaceutical companies Pfizer and BioNTech announced earlier this month that a booster shot of their vaccine also increased the level of antibodies against Omicron.

Moderna tested a third shot of several versions of its vaccine, each in 20 people. Before boosting, all the individuals had low levels of antibodies that can prevent Omicron infection. At Day 29, after receiving a third shot, the 50-microgram and 100-microgram doses of the current vaccine both sharply increased antibody levels.

The company also tested “multivalent” booster shots that incorporate mutations seen in the Beta and Delta variants, many of which are also present in Omicron. Those continuing trials each have 300 to 600 people enrolled in them. The 50-microgram and 100-microgram doses of the multivalent boosters increased antibody levels to similarly high levels, Moderna said.

Given how quickly Omicron is marching through the world, Moderna said, the company will focus its near-term efforts on extra shots of the original vaccine. It also plans to test a booster shot that is specific to the Omicron variant early next year and to include Omicron in a multivalent booster.

“To respond to this highly transmissible variant, Moderna will continue to rapidly advance an Omicron-specific booster candidate into clinical testing in case it becomes necessary in the future,” said Stéphane Bancel, Moderna’s chief executive officer.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
So the relative protection that vaccines provide in Ontario is completely nose-diving now that Omicron is solidly dominant (80+% of cases). I don't think this can be translated to actual vaccine effectiveness, there's zero controls for age or other factors that would affect infection rates and vaccination rates, but your odds of contracting COVID are basically now identical in Ontario regardless of whether you've been vaccinated or not. (also things are moving too fast for the 7 day average to keep up, so note the actual data points)

"Vaccinated" in this case means 2+ shots, so some small proportion of this group is boosted.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ontario is about 90% vaccinated.

At zero percent on that chart:

Is this chart showing that of every 1000 cases about 100 are unvaccinated and 900 are vaccinated?

OR

Is this chart showing there is 100 vaccinated cases for every 100 unvaccinated cases?

Because those seem very different!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Ontario is about 90% vaccinated.

At zero percent on that chart:

Is this chart showing that of every 1000 cases about 100 are unvaccinated and 900 are vaccinated?

OR

Is this chart showing there is 100 vaccinated cases for every 100 unvaccinated cases?

Because those seem very different!

That's a rate based number, so it means roughly the former (we're not anywhere near 90% fully vaccinated for the entire population, it's 81% for 5+ and probably a few percentage points less for the entire population.

We had 2,781 fully vaccinated cases and 746 fully unvaccinated cases today.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 20, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

enki42 posted:

So the relative protection that vaccines provide in Ontario is completely nose-diving now that Omicron is solidly dominant (80+% of cases). I don't think this can be translated to actual vaccine effectiveness, there's zero controls for age or other factors that would affect infection rates and vaccination rates, but your odds of contracting COVID are basically now identical in Ontario regardless of whether you've been vaccinated or not. (also things are moving too fast for the 7 day average to keep up, so note the actual data points)

"Vaccinated" in this case means 2+ shots, so some small proportion of this group is boosted.

lmao at vaccine effectiveness against infection being calculated at 5%

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I think the label of "vaccine effectiveness" for that line is super misleading, it's controlling for basically nothing. but yeah by the same token vaccines are definitely not doing an awful lot at the moment in Ontario.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

enki42 posted:

I think the label of "vaccine effectiveness" for that line is super misleading, it's controlling for basically nothing. but yeah by the same token vaccines are definitely not doing an awful lot at the moment in Ontario.

They still make it way more likely you'll stay out of hospital though, right?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1471654963419893762

I don't see what's disastrous about "breakthrough infections are mild"? Sounds like extremely good news, given how many people have already either gotten vaccinated or caught a previous strain.

A real disaster would be if breakthrough infections were exactly as bad as regular infections.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alctel posted:

Extremely so, yes.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Alctel posted:

I don't think that would show in our stats yet (it's only been like a week since Omicron took off) but everything I've heard says that's the case.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't see what's disastrous about "breakthrough infections are mild"? Sounds like extremely good news, given how many people have already either gotten vaccinated or caught a previous strain.

A real disaster would be if breakthrough infections were exactly as bad as regular infections.

Having a variant that is just as deadly as Delta and also faster spreading and also more prone to breakthroughs would be a pretty bad disaster even if breakthroughs continue to be mild.

"Breakthrough infections are mild" is potentially bad news because the silver lining people are hoping for in order to mitigate the damage from a faster spread and immune escape is "most infections are mild."

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, they were in prior waves — the breakthrough IFR in Delta was same as IFR in the unvaccinated.

The difference was the vaccines helped prevent infection, and thus lowered the total.

I think it's too early to say, yet, what the case will be with Omicron. Hopefully the vaccines will hold up against severe disease and death. But we have evidence from prior variants that once you're infected, the rates don't change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Petey posted:

Well, they were in prior waves — the breakthrough IFR in Delta was same as IFR in the unvaccinated.

The difference was the vaccines helped prevent infection, and thus lowered the total.

I think it's too early to say, yet, what the case will be with Omicron. Hopefully the vaccines will hold up against severe disease and death. But we have evidence from prior variants that once you're infected, the rates don't change.
Currently with available data on Omicron it's either (a) vax and/or previous exposure help a ton with severity, or (b) it's inherently less deadly. It's one of those two. The weight of existing data does not support the hypothesis it's equally bad on breakthroughs.