Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Fucks sakes can we stop with the Hitler comparisons my god we've done this for pages and pages now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Fucks sakes can we stop with the Hitler comparisons my god we've done this for pages and pages now.

Reminds me of Hitler, who would often get so fixated on a single objective he'd lose sight of anything else.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I'm still in shock over Khrushchev's appeasement of JFK, who like Hitler, was the leader of a country and started wars.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
It would be awkward if China attacked Taiwan while Russia attacked Ukraine. I've thought a lot about this and have come to believe that the government of the United States would not like it if that happened.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Owling Howl posted:

It would be awkward if China attacked Taiwan while Russia attacked Ukraine. I've thought a lot about this and have come to believe that the government of the United States would not like it if that happened.

China attacking Taiwan would probably be the next thing to happen if Russia successfully invades Ukraine without reprieval.

As it would prove that america is weakening it's global hegemony by allowing war in Europe.

And before the "what would you suggest murikkkaa does????"

I don't have an answer to that because there isn't really a good one. And Washington knows that. They can threaten sanctions or economic jabs but cannot risk open warfare esp if article 5 isn't in play.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

China attacking Taiwan would probably be the next thing to happen if Russia successfully invades Ukraine without reprieval.

As it would prove that america is weakening it's global hegemony by allowing war in Europe.

And before the "what would you suggest murikkkaa does????"

I don't have an answer to that because there isn't really a good one. And Washington knows that. They can threaten sanctions or economic jabs but cannot risk open warfare esp if article 5 isn't in play.

The US almost has treaty obligations with Taiwan, way more than it had with Ukraine.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vasukhani posted:

The US almost has treaty obligations with Taiwan, way more than it had with Ukraine.

Okay, but will they enforce those obligations if it means the world ends?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Okay, but will they enforce those obligations if it means the world ends?

I don't know. But they have a way better chance of enforcing them there then in the country where they have no treaty obligations and have explicitly said the country is not an ally!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Vasukhani posted:

The US's treaty obligations irt Tawain can be summed up as "idk maybe"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Taiwan has a better chance of defending itself against China. For many logistical reasons.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Conspiratiorist posted:

The US's treaty obligations irt Tawain can be summed up as "idk maybe"

and for Ukraine it's "lol no"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine must call the German bannermen to defend them from Russian tyranny...again

I cannot wait for the propaganda from the Russian side if Germany hypothetically put troops in Kiev or somewhere on the dniper.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 19, 2021

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Taiwan and Ukraine are insanely incomparable.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Germany will not do anything that endangers the sweet sweet gas

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
As another piece of undeniable evidence that Putin is planning to annex Ukraine, Georgia and the Baltics, in the Euro Hockey Tour's games in Moscow the Russian team has been wearing jerseys with CCCP (USSR) instead of Russian national emblems. Not quite hammer and sickle, but close enough. This is equivalent to German ice hockey team wearing jerseys saying 'Deutsches Reich".

Idiots believe the claim that this is because Soviet national ice hockey team was formed 75 years ago, smart people understand that Putin & Lukashenka love ice hockey and use it to legitimize their plan to restore Soviet borders of 1946.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hm.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Ukraine first, reattach Poland and Finland as former parts of Russian empire, after that invasion reasons become harder to come by.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

iv46vi posted:

Ukraine first, reattach Poland and Finland as former parts of Russian empire, after that invasion reasons become harder to come by.

Buffer states, if there's no other excuse, always go for buffer states, and you are guaranteed to get a whole throng of bootlickers going "hm, this is very reasonable and mature realism in international affairs, yes, no option for us but to yield"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I like big buffers and I cannot lie.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

Buffer states, if there's no other excuse, always go for buffer states, and you are guaranteed to get a whole throng of bootlickers going "hm, this is very reasonable and mature realism in international affairs, yes, no option for us but to yield"

Good thing one of those "bootlickers" is in the whitehouse

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Vasukhani posted:

Sweet, what department are you in?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vasukhani posted:

The current admin is taking plenty of measures to strengthen Ukraine's position, build consensus in NATO for taking the Russian threat seriously, and deter Russian action, short of putting NATO troops directly in the line of fire. Your posts are inexplicably blind to the idea that the West can take meaningful action to the current and future threat short of WW3.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

The current admin is taking plenty of measures to strengthen Ukraine's position, build consensus in NATO for taking the Russian threat seriously, and deter Russian action, short of putting NATO troops directly in the line of fire. Your posts are inexplicably blind to the idea that the West can take meaningful action to the current and future threat short of WW3.

Oh yeah dude anti-tank missiles and humvees will do great against overwelming air power.

Nothing has fundamentally changed since 2008 with the position of Ukraine as a member of the US's security umbrella; words are cheap, but the actions tell how much the Americans are willing to give

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 20, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

iv46vi posted:

How likely are the Finns to have another Simo Häyhä tooling around?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vasukhani posted:

Oh yeah dude anti-tank missiles and humvees will do great against overwelming air power.
Okay, we've gone from your initial position, "the US shouldn't do anything because Russia would annihilate Ukraine and start WW3" to "actually the US isn't doing anything" to "well, the US isn't providing enough weaponry to prevent Putin from making the Holodomor look like Disneyland".

You make the obvious mistake of thinking direct support to Ukraine must be intended to allow Ukraine to defeat the Russian invader, when its actual intent is to render invasion too costly for the invader to bear. And no, that's not "the West sacrificing Ukrainian lives to spite Russia", as I believe you've said previously, that's empowering the people of Ukraine to defend themselves to prevent Putin from even making the attempt.

As usual, you inexplicably ignore that there's more being done beyond military aid. Though some might mock it as "soft power", there is a lot that can be done through other means that would both weigh against Putin's decision to go in and limit the flagrancy of his war crimes if he does. This requires rallying NATO allies to take unified action, as well as counteracting Russia's attempts to subvert and otherwise gain leveraged over major NATO powers.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

Okay, we've gone from your initial position, "the US shouldn't do anything because Russia would annihilate Ukraine and start WW3" to "actually the US isn't doing anything" to "well, the US isn't providing enough weaponry to prevent Putin from making the Holodomor look like Disneyland".

Actually I said that the US wouldn't do anything, because it had articulated many times that Ukraine isn't actually a vital interest for the US.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
See how well the Iraqi army did in 2003 for a case of tons of ground equipment "raising the cost" for an invader with overwhelming air control. Also the war that just happened in NK

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
The US saying "it's a vital interest! we care!" and then just unloading the material they were planning on giving to the Kabul city state in Kyiv instead is a pretty contradictory messaging!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And if they actually gave Ukraine some substantial support, you'd be whining about them stoking tensions and forcing mother Russia to launch the nukes in self defense. gently caress right of with this concern trolling

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Funniest but about that is that NATO member Turkey just recently shot down a Russian plane, helps fund forces fighting Russians in Libya and Syria and just recently helped gently caress up Armenia with Azerbaijan, how much squealing and threatening WW3 was about that compared to hysterical crap like nukes in Ukraine?

Looks like military might works and being in NATO is a good idea to bully Russia

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Somaen posted:

Funniest but about that is that NATO member Turkey just recently shot down a Russian plane, helps fund forces fighting Russians in Libya and Syria and just recently helped gently caress up Armenia with Azerbaijan, how much squealing and threatening WW3 was about that compared to hysterical crap like nukes in Ukraine?

*slowly turns to intensely stare at WAR CRIMES GIGOLO*

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Grape posted:

*slowly turns to intensely stare at WAR CRIMES GIGOLO*

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

And if they actually gave Ukraine some substantial support, you'd be whining about them stoking tensions and forcing mother Russia to launch the nukes in self defense. gently caress right of with this concern trolling

There is a huge difference between saying something will happen and something is good. Do you think doctors who diagnose cancer are pro-cancer?

Ukraine isn't a vital interest for the US and their actions prove it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Vasukhani posted:

There is a huge difference between saying something will happen and something is good. Do you think doctors who diagnose cancer are pro-cancer?

I think people who slavishly support Russian aggression are pro-cancer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rust Martialis posted:

I think people who slavishly support Russian aggression are pro-cancer.

:hmmyes:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
"coronavirus is airborne and cannot be stopped by putting up plexiglass barriers at random spots"

"lol you slavishly support coronavirus"

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
If Putin is actually set on invading Ukraine, nothing Europe or the US is willing to do will substantially change the outcome. idk if you guys know but Russia actually already invaded Ukraine, and the US bloc showed then that, as know, it actually doesn't give that much of a poo poo!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Vasukhani posted:

"coronavirus is airborne and cannot be stopped by putting up plexiglass barriers at random spots"

"lol you slavishly support coronavirus"

Yeah you've made it abundantly clear that you regard Russia as an agencyless automaton that follows its nature, and can only be reacted to avoidantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Grape posted:

Yeah you've made it abundantly clear that you regard Russia as an agencyless automaton that follows its nature, and can only be reacted to avoidantly.

No. The US leadership has things it considers vital security interests. The Russian leadership has things it considers vital security interests. For Russia, control over Ukraine is a vital security interest. For the US, it is not. Therefore, no matter what happens, the US will not be willing to go as far as the Russians for Ukraine. What the US is doing now is window dressing.

Whether Russia's vital interests reflect its geopolitical position or ideology is another question