Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My Nurgle book arrived today, which is about a week earlier than I expected.

Something no reviewer talked about but which I find real interesting is that Nurgle in Path to Glory looks weird. P2G Nurgle armies don't include non-Hero daemons in their list of units - they can just, in any battle, get any 3 non-Hero daemon units they want for that battle within the points limit, plus one more per Nurgle Hero they've got. Which is interesting - it means you can have a lot of variety in army setup, but your daemon units can't get Veteran abilities over time, because they don't exist. However there's Quests you can do to get temp access to Veteran abilities for a single battle. Nurgle also has one of the more interactive P2G rulesets, because the special Nurgle terrain is all corrupted versions of regular terrain, and losing battles can un-corrupt it, while winning battles can corrupt normal terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

My Nurgle book arrived today, which is about a week earlier than I expected.

Something no reviewer talked about but which I find real interesting is that Nurgle in Path to Glory looks weird. P2G Nurgle armies don't include non-Hero daemons in their list of units - they can just, in any battle, get any 3 non-Hero daemon units they want for that battle within the points limit, plus one more per Nurgle Hero they've got. Which is interesting - it means you can have a lot of variety in army setup, but your daemon units can't get Veteran abilities over time, because they don't exist. However there's Quests you can do to get temp access to Veteran abilities for a single battle. Nurgle also has one of the more interactive P2G rulesets, because the special Nurgle terrain is all corrupted versions of regular terrain, and losing battles can un-corrupt it, while winning battles can corrupt normal terrain.

It sounds like it would be interesting to play through.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm wondering if this is how all Chaos P2G stuff will look for daemons when it eventually gets fully done. (Slaves to Darkness P2G excepted, since they don't have summoning.)

e: also the P2G-only Nurgle warscroll battalions are much easier for daemons to do than the daemon Core Battalion. A single GUO is enough to qualify for one of them.

e2: Also a weird note: the cheapest things to summon are now non-casting Heralds, at 7 contagion points, compared to 8 for a 3-model Nurglings unit, 9 for a Gnarlmaw,, 10 f or a 1-model Beasts of Nurgle unit, 12 for Poxbringer, 14 for a 10-model Plaguebringer Host, 18 for a 3-model Plague Drones unit, or 30 for a Great Unclean One.

No one will ever summon a Great Unclean One.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 19, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm wondering if this is how all Chaos P2G stuff will look for daemons when it eventually gets fully done. (Slaves to Darkness P2G excepted, since they don't have summoning.)

e: also the P2G-only Nurgle warscroll battalions are much easier for daemons to do than the daemon Core Battalion. A single GUO is enough to qualify for one of them.

e2: Also a weird note: the cheapest things to summon are now non-casting Heralds, at 7 contagion points, compared to 8 for a 3-model Nurglings unit, 9 for a Gnarlmaw,, 10 f or a 1-model Beasts of Nurgle unit, 12 for Poxbringer, 14 for a 10-model Plaguebringer Host, 18 for a 3-model Plague Drones unit, or 30 for a Great Unclean One.

No one will ever summon a Great Unclean One.

I am planning on trying to summon a Great Unclean one in my next game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Good luck with that. Also, one note that i found while checking the app after registering my code: for each Lord of Afflictions, you can field a single-model unit of Pusgoyles. The one-model unit isn't Battleline but now you can actually use the spare from your box.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

Good luck with that. Also, one note that i found while checking the app after registering my code: for each Lord of Afflictions, you can field a single-model unit of Pusgoyles. The one-model unit isn't Battleline but now you can actually use the spare from your box.
They did the same with the Stormcast Dracoths and Stormdrakes, since you can make the hero with one of the models instead of a unit of two normal ones.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Crazy Ferret posted:

When Skaven get new stuff, I imagine that new Eshin or Skyre stuff to be front of the list. The basic clan rat box is still pretty good but Eshin Night Runners and friends are old as hell. That old monkey-skaven look is rough. Skyre Acolytes may as well be a sign pointing to 3D printers.

Still, I'd bet my warp stone on Eshin getting a fresh go. I'd love to see the Eshin Triads come over from Total Warhammer 2.

The blood bowl and underworld teams would make good proxies for night/gutter runners, most of them have ninja poses

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Finished another unit of Stormcast Liberators.

Modeling two years ago versus today:

A little cleaner but mostly better basing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like the metallics in the new ones more!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/20/cursed-city-resurrected/

Also, Cursed City going back into production.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I might be getting it this time

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

How is it for anyone who got it and actually played it? Like, compared to Gloomhaven or something like that. I almost got it for my board gaming group but their interest was iffy and then it sold out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bringing back Cursed City---as well as reconfirming the planned expansions---and all without ANY explanation about how or why it went dark for a year, is one of the bizarre things I've ever seen.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

bagrada posted:

How is it for anyone who got it and actually played it? Like, compared to Gloomhaven or something like that. I almost got it for my board gaming group but their interest was iffy and then it sold out.

Let's just say that the models are the star...

If you've played Gloomhaven, this is going to be a poor comparison, although that's the case with almost every other game on the market. In all seriousness, Cursed City isn't bad by any stretch, and it's pretty good for a GW board game. The biggest issue I have with it is that all of the enemies feel too similar and for the players ranged attacks are kind of OP. I'm hoping that they address that in the expansion.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
It's a Christmas Miracle!

Also, I'm sure everyone super called the fact that Beast Radukar was totally intended to be an expansion before everything got hosed, but it's fun to see that come to fruition.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My guess is that there's something subtle in there that they couldn't legally use - maybe a proper noun from back before they owned everything in Warhammer.

Like a reference to Malal or something along those lines. They've been mining the early nostalgia, and licensing back then was weird. Like how you still can't buy a tshirt with a cover before issue 100. Sometimes authors retained rights instead of GW.

I'll be very curious to see a side-by-side flip-through when it comes out later.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Best explanation Ive heard was from Vince on Wahammer Weekly and he said it was probably a shipping delay that resulted in them having to choose between a second run of Cursed City and getting AoS 3.0 out the door on time. He also said that they probably reacted the way they did to keep the investors from panicking that they had to cancel one of their flagship products, so they claimed it was only meant to be one run to sidestep the "cancellation" word when speaking to investors.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That seems likely, there were some really bad international shipping problems around the time particularly around paper products out of China.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

bagrada posted:

It's basically Blackstone Fortress, but fantasy.

There's less ranged enemies than Blackstone for obvious reasons, and the "AI" is dumber (because mindless skeletons) but it's pretty close.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

bagrada posted:

It's fine. Gloomhaven is the best, so it's not a fair comparison. But I liked it as much as Blackstone Fortress. Also, the game has a few problems for me, in the sense that it gets too easy and the pacing of the missions makes them feel like a slog after a while. But my group tried a variant posted in the BoardGameGeek forums and it improves a lot.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2642992/first-impressions-fixes-and-additional-content

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

bagrada posted:

It's bad. It starts off fun and even show a lot of promise but the repetition and GW RNG fuckery kills it. It's a cool base system but it needs work, it has none of the calculating risk or planning to offset RNG Gloomhaven has, you often get rat hosed and the only take away is "roll better idiot". It starts off very easy to the point it's a snooze, to its credit it does get a lot harder, but then you're too vulnerable to a spike of bad luck putting you into a death spin.

The campaign is far, far, far too long and padded out with only three base missions plus unique boss missions to be so randomly punishing, and the missions themselves tend to drag out. When you lose a mission it loving hurts, purely because the time wasted, and now you have to play another generic mission hooray. The characters aren't balanced against each other, some are murder machines and some are elves and very bad.

There were some fan rule fixes that looked really good, and were trying to make new enemies/scenarios, but I couldn't bring myself to play it any more to try them out.

Mikey Purp posted:

and for the players ranged attacks are kind of OP.

Pure ranged attacks are gimped pretty hard by cursed city's take on line of sight, characters can often only do it once per turn (unless you have an item) and you can't do it if you're adjacent to an enemy. The one character you'd expect to have OP ranged attacks is very hard to inspire and very poo poo compared to the consistent, easy going murder from some of the melee characters. The hybrid melee/ranged attacks are very strong but always limited by needing good rolls to activate or limited use per turn.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Thanks for the takes, I'll keep my eye on it but probably pass since we don't get together too often and Frosthaven and Nemesis Lockdown should be coming next year.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Blood Boils posted:

The blood bowl and underworld teams would make good proxies for night/gutter runners, most of them have ninja poses

Yeah, the Blood Bowl team looks fun. The Warp-stone footballs seem like easy Acolyte conversions and the other rats can fit into other roles with ease. There is something to be said about the tokens as well. This looks like a fun purchase.

I also try to add as much variety to my rat hordes as possible. A few extra poses go a long way to make the army more interesting.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
The new rat ogor is almost perfect out of the box except for the big rear end football curled in its hand

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GIRL BRAINS posted:

The new rat ogor is almost perfect out of the box except for the big rear end football curled in its hand

Which is funny because in Blood Bowl the Rogre is the last player you want to give the ball to. You take one only for murder.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Ma dudes new faqs are out https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/#warhammer-age-of-sigmar. In important news unlesh hell cut to 6 inches and amulet of destiny down to 6+ ward

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah those look to be the big ones. There's also some points changes and Kragnos and Nagash got some new stuff, although I don't think anyone fields Kragnos or Nagash for serious times.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Yeah sentinels up to 170 https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/XTPR7PzBSVcNAAOd.pdf Not gonna complain about that

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want to get nagash but not for $150

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Those are the two biggest changes - the rest is most,y standardizing Warmasters and clarifying they don’t get access to battle traits (which makes Archaon a non-valid source of Aura of Chaos now!), standardizing Khorne and Tzeentch to the normal faction rules rather than going off God keywords, and making Alarielle and Morathi get all spells from their faction lores.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want to get nagash but not for $150

On the other hand he is half your army at that point cost so you make savings on other units

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Pretty conservative changes. I can't believe Gardus got cheaper, he's probably the best Stormcast hero.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gotrek went up 50 points. GW says stop using Gotrek so much.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

You can now vote for your favorite miniature of the year:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/21/vote-now-for-miniature-of-the-year-2021-choose-your-winner/
The winner will surely be a 40k mini, but it would be fun to see Lord Kroak or the crab from Underworlds up there.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I will absolutely vote for the crab.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Slaanesh stays losing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tough choices there but I'll have to go Helbrecht if only because he was my coolest kitbash ever

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
drat the point changes ruined my 1k Tzeentch army before I was even able to use it once.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Voted Crab

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I followed my heart and went Darkoath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
speaking of Slaanesh I voted Sigvald because that model is the best one they've released all year and its not even close