Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Getting to the point where I'm overwhelmed by the amount of team options and skills I want to have in any given team so it was quite refreshing to fuse Trumpeter and see that he just learns the full suite of Ma____barion skills lol, straightforward nuke it is.

What was everyone's endgame team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I know exactly what you mean, I ended up changing around a lot. I kinda had three endgame setups based on where exactly in the endgame I was. I'm going to spoiler these for those who might not be at the end yet cuz seeing new demons was one of my favorite parts (didn't watch any of the promos)

Before getting locked into an ending I had a pretty normal setup for this game from what I've seen online:
Yoshi / Norn / Third floating between trumpeter and harlot for spells+ailments
Murakumo focused naho

After locked into an ending. I got law miracle and I actually somewhat regret using it because I basically melted Shiva and the endgame bosses after just a couple of fusions. When I replay this game again I'm not going to use any of the alignment miracles and just keep the same team.
Metatron / Zeus or Beelzebub depending / Demeter
Same naho setup but with drain force and harlot resistances

For demifiend, basically a 24 demon roster lol. Everyone with some answer to phys damage, enduring soul and/or abyssal was necessary, but it was still skin of my teeth

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yoshitsune/Oberon/Isis has been my boss setup for the entire 3rd area and it hasn't failed yet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started playing Megami Tensei 1 and it seems like a pretty chill dungeon crawler. Haven't been able to actually recruit a demon yet but I'm grinding for a sick new weapon.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How much does level matter for demons? I finished the 3rd area and have some guys at the low 50s who are still kicking rear end. Any potential fusions seem like a big downgrade in stats. I have a nice stock of grimoires but didn’t want to go all out until the end.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Honestly I wouldn't be afraid to just use grimoires on demons you like. They are rather easy to come buy in this game and the red mitamas that drop them seem like the most common type to find.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Grimoire's you can just use whenever, they're fairly common. Gospels I'd recommend to save until your 70s or 80s if you're planning on doing the superbosses.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I've used like 20 grimoires on Artemis bc I didn't realize she was so low level and she has an insane skillset

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yoshitsune/Oberon/Isis has been my boss setup for the entire 3rd area and it hasn't failed yet

Oberon gang, masukukaja every boss fight

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Oberon gang, masukukaja every boss fight

I have matarukaja and boon boost on him too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anubis and Idun were my area 3 MVPs, he had the donums to boost everyone else if he couldn't take a useful turn, and Golden Apple is too good to turn down.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Every time a demon joined my party for doing a sidequest I have to kick them out and re-fuse them properly because the stat bonuses I get from Warriors' Conception are absolutely disgusting and anyone who doesn't have them isn't even worth benchwarming.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Finally took out the Demi-fiend after many, many failed attempts. Such a sick capstone to this amazing game.

Gamer notes timg'd for spoilers

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm seriously considering fusing up a new ultimate Yoshitsune but I'm not sure how much I can be bothered grinding him out like 50 levels lol

Also Mother Harlot gave me her essence and my MC is now functionally invincible with repel phys, but I assume I'm going to have to take it off before the final bosses/superbosses or they'll get mad and spam ultimate attacks

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Level grinding would definitely be tedious. I kinda wish grimoires and gospels didn’t require you to kill a single demon to actually get the level up. At least if you fuse from much higher level demons they start quite a bit over base level. 10+ from the start is nothing to sneeze at

Evil Eagle posted:

This is cool! I need to start putting these things on paper again. Phone notes just don’t have the same appeal

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Level grinding would definitely be tedious. I kinda wish grimoires and gospels didn’t require you to kill a single demon to actually get the level up. At least if you fuse from much higher level demons they start quite a bit over base level. 10+ from the start is nothing to sneeze at

This is cool! I need to start putting these things on paper again. Phone notes just don’t have the same appeal

Yeah this was my sticking point, like just let me feed the dude 40 grimoires at a time or whatever.

The UI could use some work in general I think, it doesn't bother me too much because I have early 90s CRPG related brain problems, but stuff like that and having to go through three menu options and scrolling every time I want to use a spyglass on a mitama is a chore

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

Finally took out the Demi-fiend after many, many failed attempts. Such a sick capstone to this amazing game.

King poo poo 👑

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

gently caress yes. Congrats

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Evil Eagle posted:

Awesome

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Ran into my first brick wall with Black Rider. He absolutely cracks my entire poo poo in half no matter my team lineup atm, lol. So now I'm just hunting down mimans in the area instead

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Ran into my first brick wall with Black Rider. He absolutely cracks my entire poo poo in half no matter my team lineup atm, lol. So now I'm just hunting down mimans in the area instead

He kicked my rear end for a while as well, my winning run only succeeded because I lucked out and he chose not to cast two Megidolaons in a row lol. Brought back some classic memories of Mot from Nocturne

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I got him by not killing the adds. The megidolaons were just too strong at that point. Definitely one of the most memorable bosses

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

holy poo poo ishtar has an assload of press turns, lmao. i completely lucked out having a great resist setup but it was still very stressful. This game owns.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

holy poo poo ishtar has an assload of press turns, lmao. i completely lucked out having a great resist setup but it was still very stressful. This game owns.

Her turns are reduced if you turn off her pillars

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kild posted:

Her turns are reduced if you turn off her pillars

I started doing this the last time I played and then forgot before running into the fight lol. Still had 5 press turns but I survived thanks to elec/fire nulling guys and dumb luck

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I think it's more fun if you don't go all the way personally, tips too far in the other direction

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

I think it's more fun if you don't go all the way personally, tips too far in the other direction

agreed

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

Yeah it's insane how easy that fight is if you do everything beforehand, it makes it the easiest boss fight in the game by miles.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I took out all but one of the towers and she kicked my rear end then I took out the last one and she was absolutely useless. Think there was a happy medium they overshot somewhere there

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Dazai is such a loving dipshit.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dazai is the only human character who does anything and everything he does is stupid

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

devil survivor is really fun. wendigo is kicking my rear end. this feels like twewy / ffta crossover

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dazai is the only human character who does anything and everything he does is stupid

that one cutscene in area 4 is Awesome.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I thought everything about him after he embraces being Abdiel’s Knowledge and commits to the Law path was insanely sick. But I’m a Law boy myself so maybe I’m biased

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

finally got this and the switch as an early christmas

haven't gotten to the first boss yet but got absolutely wrecked by Matador lol

a proud SMT tradition

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I thought everything about him after he embraces being Abdiel’s Knowledge and commits to the Law path was insanely sick. But I’m a Law boy myself so maybe I’m biased

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Made sure to save up 10 or so Gospels for hitting level 85, chugged them all and crushed Shiva on my first attempt. I feel powerful

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Anyone got any strats for Maria? I have a decent team but she just heals her entire life bar every turn.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I, ah, don't think I'm going to manage the Hard Demi Fiend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

You've got this.