Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Posting and sending nudes might be the new norm but society will still label the woman as a slut and destroy her career over it. I'm married and pray I never have to re-enter the dating scene but I'd hope there are still people out there who aren't so selfish as to not recognize the risks that are disproportionately inherent to ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm saying it getting robbed is a normal part of life and if it's traumatic for you you've probably walked a very sheltered path. Most people will be robbed 2 or 3 times by the time they hit 18.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I assume a good number of you used to be 16 year old boys. I did too and there is a 0% chance I ever would have stolen nudes out of someone's phone to send to my friends. Wtf?

I wouldn't have either, but think back to high school and remember just how many weird, creepy kids there were.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dazerbeams posted:

Posting and sending nudes might be the new norm but society will still label the woman as a slut and destroy her career over it.

That's because the one applies to young people but the capability to do the other still rests with old people. Give it another 50 years, until the teens trading nudes today are running society.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for fixing the toilet in a shared apartment then refusing to pay for a useless plumbers visit?

quote:

I (F 32) share an apartment with two flat mates (Joe M23) and (Bob M25). We are all students of a terminal degree program at the same school, and have been living together for almost two years now.

Up until a few months ago things were relatively fine between us, but Ive always felt a bit ganged up on being the only one here who isn’t from money, and the only woman in the apartment with two guys who have never even kissed a girl.

A few weeks back, Bob texted me saying that the toilet wasn’t flushing while I was at school. I came home, disassembled the panel, saw that the chain had been twisted, untwisted the chain, and put everything back together. When I let Bob know that I had gotten the toilet working he got really mad.

The next morning he came out while I was eating breakfast and got into a yelling match because he thought I had behaved badly by fixing the toilet and that I should have called a plumber. He ended up calling a plumber to double check that I didn’t do any permanent damage to the toilet, who arrived and was extremely confused about why he was supposed to fix a perfectly functioning toilet.

Bob then asked me to pay for half of the plumber and I told him he was out of his mind and that I wasn’t funding his stupid plumber when I had already solved the problem.

I think my roommate is TA because I dont think he would have called a plumber to check my work if I had been a man and he had any respect for me. He thinks Im TA for being too McGiver, and just shouldn’t try to fix anything myself.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Imagine living in an area where the police don't take your possessions at gun point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm saying it getting robbed is a normal part of life and if it's traumatic for you you've probably walked a very sheltered path. Most people will be robbed 2 or 3 times by the time they hit 18.

uh

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA For snitching on my (ex) best friend?

quote:

I (18M) have a been close with my best friend J (18M) for over a decade now and I love him more than anything. And over a year ago, he got a girlfriend (18F) who we’ll call M. M is the sweetest woman i have ever met - she cares for J so much, and I have found a close friend in her. A few months ago J moved into M’s apartment. J doesn’t have a job and M has a well paying one. She is the breadwinner.

Now onto the story. I was having lunch with J when his phone beeped. He looked at it and smiled saying, “M sent me nudes!” While I thought that he didn’t need to say it out loud, I still replied with,“Congrats.” That’s when he dropped this; “You wanna see?”

To say I was horrified would be an understatement. 1, I had a boyfriend (18M) and he was aware of this. 2, I saw M as a sister and he was also aware of this. I blew up on him, saying how disgusting it was that he would even ask, and he backed down immediately, apologising.

Here’s where I may be the AH. I, as a feminist, could not just brush this incident off. My mums (38F) (39F) taught me all about r*pe culture and I knew that this could lead to much worse. I told M, and she was furious. She thanked me and then called J. They had a screaming match that ended with M breaking up with J and him kicked out of her flat. After he moved back in with his parents, he texted me and I told him the truth. He exploded, calling me names, insults, and even at one point slurs. I kept my cool and explained my it was duty as a decent human being to tell M, and I then said, “What if you had shown that to other people; have you shown them to other people?” And he replied with, “Yes, but that’s not the point.” I screenshot it and sent to M. She was angry, and according to my friends has now threatened legal action.

Turns out he’s told our friends, and majority have sided with him. They say while what he did was wrong, it wasn’t my place to to tell her. A few of my friends, M, my boyfriend and my parents side with me, but I’m staring to doubt myself. They were a very happy couple and they loved each other a lot, and they pointed out that I’m the reason they broke up.

AITA?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for fixing the toilet in a shared apartment then refusing to pay for a useless plumbers visit?

her moronic roommate's head needs to go in the toilet

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ah, the ol' "you're not allowed to be upset that I wronged you, because that implies I am a wrongdoer which is upsetting to me, the person whose feelings matter." Sometimes I wonder how that kind of zero-effort manipulation persists into adulthood; do these dudes just go through life hunting for people who have never had a model for appropriate boundaries, like that thermal vision scene from Predator?

Literally yes. This is what all those pua guides and stuff are for: scare off women who don't immediately call bullshit when being "negged" to sniff out doormats.

Evil Willow posted:

My (30F) boyfriend (28M) wants to move in but not pay bills...?

"My boyfriend, who lives with his mommy, expects me to be his new mommy! On an unrelated note, do you think this fire that burned my hand will burn my other hand?"

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I don't send nudes and neither does my partner, but it's common enough that I'm happy to accept that some people are willing to accept the risks involved without considering it a personal failing on their part.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

That's because the one applies to young people but the capability to do the other still rests with old people. Give it another 50 years, until the teens trading nudes today are running society.

You say this like there's not a good chance boomers will salt the earth completely before giving up the ghost.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Boba Pearl posted:

Yeah, I agree, muggings are NBD and nothing compared to having your nudes leaked.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

drat. rly makes u think

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Like be real how many of you have NOT been mugged robbed or threatened with overwhelming violence.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Any kind of breech of personal trust and safety, from sexual harassment to robbery, can be (and often is) traumatic, not just for the immediate act, but the ongoing paranoia and destruction of self confidence, safety, and worth. Let's not pretend anyone is sensitive or stupid for how they react to any of those situations.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
serious post out of the way

lol if you haven't been severely traumatized by a violent act before you're 12. what are you, a trust fund baby?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Having your nudes leaked is infinitely worse than being mugged or robbed because despite what the movies tell you you CANNOT use your sicknasty kung fu to defeat the internet

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I guess mugging stats are like drinking stats in that there's a tiny percentile doing all the heavy lifting. The other day crime came up and not a single person in the group had ever been mugged. But the one lady from Mexico city was like "lol I'd get mugged once a week or two on the Metro"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Having your nudes leaked is infinitely worse than being mugged or robbed because despite what the movies tell you you CANNOT use your sicknasty kung fu to defeat the internet

I stopped going to judo classes after the mugging because I'd have to walk through that same area at night to get to that dojo. Yes I'm aware that it's kind of funny to stop doing something for self defense because there's too much of a perceived danger to the self.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think I might literally be at this point in my life. Like I'm pretty much ready to not be in a relationship ever again if I can get out of the one I'm in right now. So maybe I'm just brain broken, I'm sorry to have posted.

I mean, we've been reading these threads long enough to realise how many people end up in horrific situations because of the idea that any relationship is better than being single.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Look I would never call someone a wimp for freaking out about being mugged their first time especially in a new country. I will make fun of them for trying to relate it to leakning nudes. None of your potential employers who do social media checks are gonna be like "oh you got mugged in 2015? You don't really match the companies brand," but plenty of people will not hire you if they even suspect that you're genitals exist in a visible form on the internet. Getting mugged won't exactly have a train of internet people stalking you down and harassing you. Like all ptsd hurts for sure but to not even consider your traumatic moments are someone else's normalcy, and then to try and play trauma Olympics with sex victims is insane.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Comparing how different people react to different types of traumas is really stupid and is one of the reasons people who undergo something traumatic don't seek out therapy because they feel that whatever trauma they went through can't be as bad as someone that went through something else that's traumatic.

For example, I stopped a suicide a few years ago and it was pretty traumatic but I held off on therapy because in my mind I had A. Gone through worse in the past and B. Felt that what I had undergone was not as traumatic as say being shot at or mugged. So instead of seeking help when I started to have issues I put it off.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

B-Rock452 posted:

Comparing how different people react to different types of traumas is really stupid and is one of the reasons people who undergo something traumatic don't seek out therapy because they feel that whatever trauma they went through can't be as bad as someone that went through something else that's traumatic.

For example, I stopped a suicide a few years ago and it was pretty traumatic but I held off on therapy because in my mind I had A. Gone through worse in the past and B. Felt that what I had undergone was not as traumatic as say being shot at or mugged. So instead of seeking help when I started to have issues I put it off.

Yeah exactly.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Boba Pearl posted:

Like be real how many of you have NOT been mugged robbed or threatened with overwhelming violence.

I got threatened with a boat oar and a pickaxe at Walmart once but that's about it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It seems stupid to say that getting mugged is so common it shouldn't be traumatic when getting nudes leaked is pretty drat common too.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Maybe let's not mock anyone's traumatic experiences? Just a thought.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

No, holy poo poo, the majority of people do not get mugged, robbed, or threatened with overwhelming violence multiple times in their lives.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Seriously? Nobody else?!

I think i made myself sad.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It seems stupid to say that getting mugged is so common it shouldn't be traumatic when getting nudes leaked is pretty drat common too.

I don't think leaking nudes is as common as being mugged tbh.

E: I think you guys are bull making GBS threads me on this I grew up in foster care so I met like 50 -60 kids as I grew up some rehoused or reunited and I can't think of a single friend who hasn't been robbed, beaten, or assaulted in some manner.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 20, 2021

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

CONTENT!

AITA for telling my boyfriend to go yell at his mother instead?

quote:

My (30m) partner has been staying with me (21f) in my apartment for the past 2ish weeks. Things haven’t been great; but we’ve been getting past them. Today he had a project he decided to do for me, that i’m so grateful for but he woke up late so couldn’t really get to do. I wasn’t frustrated or anything, and he made a new game plan. He didn’t tell me he needed help so when I was just sitting around, he got upset and we started bickering. He said he needed laundry done, I said I needed to go food shopping and he said he needed to do as much work as he could on the project but then said how “of course I wouldn’t help him” .. I stated “I was going to do your laundry, but if your going to yell at me all day, yell at your mother to do it”.. he then screamed at me to stop while I am ahead, packed all his things and has been fighting with me since. He came in before and asked me to apologize, I said I wouldn’t as if he wanted to treat someone like poo poo for caring for him, then he can treat someone else like that. He then told me he’s my elder and to respect and treat him as such. Am I in the wrong? Is this my fault? Am I the rear end in a top hat?

In the comments!
he’s currently packing his stuff and leaving, he’s breaking up with me (woe is me) because I can’t respect him as an elder and as an adult?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

Look I would never call someone a wimp for freaking out about being mugged their first time especially in a new country. I will make fun of them for trying to relate it to leakning nudes. None of your potential employers who do social media checks are gonna be like "oh you got mugged in 2015? You don't really match the companies brand," but plenty of people will not hire you if they even suspect that you're genitals exist in a visible form on the internet. Getting mugged won't exactly have a train of internet people stalking you down and harassing you. Like all ptsd hurts for sure but to not even consider your traumatic moments are someone else's normalcy, and then to try and play trauma Olympics with sex victims is insane.

I agree with all of this. I was not trying to play trauma olympics, though. I was just saying I was victimized and now I do things differently, such as don't leave my house after 6:30 pm. I never once suggested the traumas were the same, just that they're both traumas and we can do things to protect ourselves from victimization.

Boba Pearl posted:

E: I think you guys are bull making GBS threads me on this I grew up in foster care so I met like 50 -60 kids as I grew up some rehoused or reunited and I can't think of a single friend who hasn't been robbed, beaten, or assaulted in some manner.

It's going to be heavily dependent on your surroundings. 80%ish of people I know who live in this country have been mugged. I've only been mugged once but I've also witnessed a few. The vast majority of people I know who still live in the US have not been mugged. I think only one of my friends who lives in the US has been a victim of that kind of crime. I know many more people who have had nudes leaked.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 20, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Except you can't there is literally nothing you can do to stop someone robbing you or leaking your nudes. There are a lot of thing you can do that might help but if someone is going to victimize you that's it. Trying to fight back will just make things worse like Judo isn't going to do anything against a knife and not sentence nudes is extremely impractical if you're under like 30. If someone is going to victimize youthat's what is going to happen full stop.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
i feel like you should be looking at the person you're dating as an equal and not as though you're their elder

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I mug in the nude every day.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

Except you can't there is literally nothing you can do to stop someone robbing you or leaking your nudes. There are a lot of thing you can do that might help but if someone is going to victimize you that's it. Trying to fight back will just make things worse like Judo isn't going to do anything against a knife and not sentence nudes is extremely impractical if you're under like 30. If someone is going to victimize youthat's what is going to happen full stop.

You can 1) not send nudes or keep them in your phone or 2) not go outside of your house after the sun goes down.

I am still at risk of home invasion, nothing really I can do about that, I suppose. It's not legal for me to own a gun and with my depression problems it's not wise even if it were legal.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 20, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

CONTENT!

AITA for telling my boyfriend to go yell at his mother instead?

In the comments!
he’s currently packing his stuff and leaving, he’s breaking up with me (woe is me) because I can’t respect him as an elder and as an adult?

When you're so mature for you're age ends up being true. What a loving creep.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Pay the plumber and then demand the roommates pay the OP as much as the plumber got because she's the one who fixed it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Hellblazer187 posted:

You can 1) not send nudes or keep them in your phone or 2) not go outside of your house after the sun goes down.

1. Is pretty much stop dating and 2. Isn't even true it means not leaving your house ever the sun doesn't stop crime you can get robbed in broad daylight.

E: you are not safer because it's light out you may need therapy if you're not leaving your house after sundown because you think you'll be robbed. Nothing makes you safe in this world, and you can have everything torn from you at any moment. There are no precautions that will do anything but make you feel better, at the end of the day if someone wants you hurt you're going to get hurt.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 20, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

1. Is pretty much stop dating and 2. Isn't even true it means not leaving your house ever the sun doesn't stop crime you can get robbed in broad daylight.

So, I'm very nearly 40, but is 1. actually true? Is sending and receiving nudes really mandatory for dating? Like what happens when you tell someone you're dating "oh, I don't send nudes, sorry" is that just it forever?

Yes you can get robbed in broad daylight but it's much more common after dark (at least where I live). The fact that I can't 100% protect myself doesn't mean I can't like, 75% protect myself by staying put after dark.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Boba Pearl posted:

Seriously? Nobody else?!

I think i made myself sad.

I don't think leaking nudes is as common as being mugged tbh.

I don't think it's more common. I mean every celebrity in the world seems to get their nudes leaked every 3-5 years and that's not even including normal people.