Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

The blockchain is just... data, right? It's just some magic database floating in the :yaycloud:. A jpeg is also data. Instead of the blockchain pointing to a jpeg hosted on some site that can disappear why can't you just put the data of the jpeg inside the blockchain and that way it lives on forever in the forever cloud along with the data on who owns it and who can sell it, etc?

I remember back in the olden days you would pirate stuff off newsgroups by running a text to binary converter thing, how is this not the big brain idea on how NFTs work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The goal isn't to make it work, the goal is to take money from people who don't know it doesn't work.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It would be really big

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Vice President posted:

why can't you just put the data of the jpeg inside the blockchain
Because they're stupidly, insanely, moronically inefficient.

Putting a 100kb image on the Ethereum blockchain would cost over $8000

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Spatial posted:

what I hear you saying is my jpeg is worth at least $8000 and the price can only go up up up as it gets harder to make them

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Spatial posted:

is that why nfts are always little doodles?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

gay for gacha posted:

is that why nfts are always little doodles?

Nope. Even the little doodles aren't on the blockchain. They're tiny little doodles because they're procedurally generated so they can have ten thousand or whatever "unique" ones to sell at their ITO. All that's on the blockchain is a little dot of data that says "gay for gacha owns* this unique token which is tied to the little doodle currently hosted at [hosting link]." Basically, instead of buying real estate in New York City, you're buying one of the signs on I-95 that says "New York City: this direction."

*for the NFT version of "owns"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How do you prove that you own* the wallet that owns* the NFT?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

You have to lick the URL to claim own*ership. Other people can right-lick it too, but that lick won't be in the blockchain.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Vice President posted:

The blockchain is just... data, right? It's just some magic database floating in the :yaycloud:. A jpeg is also data. Instead of the blockchain pointing to a jpeg hosted on some site that can disappear why can't you just put the data of the jpeg inside the blockchain and that way it lives on forever in the forever cloud along with the data on who owns it and who can sell it, etc?

I remember back in the olden days you would pirate stuff off newsgroups by running a text to binary converter thing, how is this not the big brain idea on how NFTs work?

To be honest, when NFTs first came out I thought they involved using the blockchain has to generate a unique cryptographic signature which would be used to sign the file thus making the file effectively unique or at least one that couldn't be copied without a trace of "ownership". It still had all the problems with validating the ledger itself, gross inefficiency, and everything else but it turns out that NFTs are waaaaaayyyyy stupider than I could even conceive of at the time. Thankfully 2 years of covid has given me plenty of time to spiral into madness and now I understand them quiet well.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

NFTs answer the question of "What is the most intrinsically worthless thing that people will speculate and grift with?"

The answer of course, is "There is nothing so worthless that idiots won't try to scam others with it"

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 20, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The junk collector posted:

To be honest, when NFTs first came out I thought they involved using the blockchain has to generate a unique cryptographic signature which would be used to sign the file thus making the file effectively unique or at least one that couldn't be copied without a trace of "ownership". It still had all the problems with validating the ledger itself, gross inefficiency, and everything else but it turns out that NFTs are waaaaaayyyyy stupider than I could even conceive of at the time. Thankfully 2 years of covid has given me plenty of time to spiral into madness and now I understand them quiet well.

Yup, I think most people did at first when they heard "block chain" and "art." The reality is incredibly stupid, and it makes me wonder what percent of NFT buyers:

1. Still don't understand what they're exactly buying.
2. Understand what they're buying and are just hoping to scam the next person.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

smackfu posted:

How do you prove that you own* the wallet that owns* the NFT?

Finders keepers losers weepers

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What’s the current processing time of a Bitcoin/ethereum/etc transaction? Once started, are they guaranteed to go through? Do you have to key in the wallets every time?

I guess I’m having trouble seeing the use case for why a big retailer would switch to a technology that takes longer to process, still has transaction fees, and has a high probability that bad actors will constantly try and hack your POS to switch the receiving wallet key to their wallet and get 1+ days worth of sales in non-reversible transactions.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Of course.

https://www.radioshack.com/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Democratic Pirate posted:

What’s the current processing time of a Bitcoin/ethereum/etc transaction? Once started, are they guaranteed to go through? Do you have to key in the wallets every time?

I guess I’m having trouble seeing the use case for why a big retailer would switch to a technology that takes longer to process, still has transaction fees, and has a high probability that bad actors will constantly try and hack your POS to switch the receiving wallet key to their wallet and get 1+ days worth of sales in non-reversible transactions.

A long time, unless you pay the people processing the transactions money to make it go faster. Just look at that one bitcoin beer purchase that was going around a few weeks back, it took several minutes for it to actually go through. I'm not convinced the POS hack thing is really any more doable than it currently is though, if there was mass adoption I assume the wallets the fake money goes to would be set up and protected the same way bank account details are now. The problem is way more the unstable nature of the price, as evidenced by those people in El Salvador that paid their rent in bitcoin only to then find themselves in arrears because by the time the transaction completed and was cashed out to actual money the price had changed and the amount of bitcoin sent was no longer enough to cover the bill.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I guess there is no longer a business in selling batteries and cables?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Repeat after me: There is no functionality of the blockchain which isn't better served by just having a P2P filesharing network like torrents OR by having a couple of centralized servers with backups somewhere.

All uses of "blockchain technologies" are moronic, poorly-conceived copies of better technologies.

I 100% and wholeheartedly agree for where the technology already exists, but crypto never, ever caught onto that. Instead we have Filecoin and Sia and Chia to basically encrypt data, make it more expensive, and waste hard drives. I do notice a relative lack of common sense in crypto, that hasn't changed basically ever. In the grand scheme of things, everything is super nascent, it's not exactly all too surprising for a 10 year old ponzi scheme that feeds on mostly alt right extremism handwaved away with :words: and bullshit.

There is a certain universal/interesting application of the distributed nature of blockchains, but it's not really anything I'd consider more than a thought process or a proof of concept for now.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

njsykora posted:

A long time, unless you pay the people processing the transactions money to make it go faster. Just look at that one bitcoin beer purchase that was going around a few weeks back, it took several minutes for it to actually go through. I'm not convinced the POS hack thing is really any more doable than it currently is though, if there was mass adoption I assume the wallets the fake money goes to would be set up and protected the same way bank account details are now. The problem is way more the unstable nature of the price, as evidenced by those people in El Salvador that paid their rent in bitcoin only to then find themselves in arrears because by the time the transaction completed and was cashed out to actual money the price had changed and the amount of bitcoin sent was no longer enough to cover the bill.

You aren't buying beer on the blockchain though. It can only handle 4 transactions a second (and completes them all once every 10 minutes or so) and has massive fees. Practically every merchant does their transactions through an intermediary that keeps it in house, which is why there is the "approved" wallet company in El Salvador.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

There is a certain universal/interesting application of the distributed nature of blockchains, but it's not really anything I'd consider more than a thought process or a proof of concept for now.
People have been saying that for a decade. There is no use. It's a total failure as a technology. It's only good for three things: speculation, the exchanges which profit from that, and the occasional ransom payment from sabotaging a hospital.

Bitcoin uses over 24GW of electricity to process less than 4 transactions per second across the entire world. In exchange for being the most pathetically inefficient system ever conceived by humanity, it gains the ability to be distributed and trustless. Except it isn't even that. For any practical use transactions must go through a trusted centralised intermediary because of its monsterous inefficiency, defeating the entire point.

Ethereum famously adds smart contracts. The World Computer where code is law! But it's no better than Bitcoin. You can run code on this baby for a mere $250 per second while it consumes 12GW of electricity to do it. And with almost 4% of the compute power of a single $1 microcontroller to share between the entire planet, just think what you'll be getting done! Can't wait for web3!

It's the technological incarnation of a miserable ideology that dimisses hierachies of trust. In the real world trust and centralisation are the basis of society and civilisation because they're so effective and efficient. Throwing them away is strangling itself in the crib and that's why everything to do with cryptocurrencies is a complete joke. Failure was baked in from conception.

Spatial fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 20, 2021

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

StormDrain posted:

Now most digital signals are made up of one's and zeros. However, ours also has twos. That's one better innit?
Look at this point the argument is between compression standards like mp3 vs ogg vs flac vs uncompressed wav.

:can:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Spatial posted:

People have been saying that for a decade. There is no use. It's a total failure as a technology. It's only good for three things: speculation, the exchanges which profit from that, and the occasional ransom payment from sabotaging a hospital.

Bitcoin uses over 24GW of electricity to process less than 4 transactions per second across the entire world. In exchange for being the most pathetically inefficient system ever conceived by humanity, it gains the ability to be distributed and trustless. Except it isn't even that. For any practical use transactions must go through a trusted centralised intermediary because of its monsterous inefficiency, defeating the entire point.

Ethereum famously adds smart contracts. The World Computer where code is law! But it's no better than Bitcoin. You can run code on this baby for a mere $250 per second while it consumes 12GW of electricity to do it. And with almost 4% of the compute power of a single $1 microcontroller to share between the entire planet, just think what you'll be getting done! Can't wait for web3!

It's the technological incarnation of a miserable ideology that dimisses hierachies of trust. In the real world trust and centralisation are the basis of society and civilisation because they're so effective and efficient. Throwing them away is strangling itself in the crib and that's why everything to do with cryptocurrencies is a complete joke. Failure was baked in from conception.

I know on some level bitcoin folks are using renewables and driving towards cheaper energy (cheaper not necessarily being ecologically friendly, sadly), but yes that part is stupid because targeting cheaper power could potentially mean Coal or worse. Smart contracts running publicly visible and unmodifiable code is actually quite novel but I'm not sure people understand that ethereum represents an increasingly smaller amount of it regularly, and a lot of this uses sidechains and things that require 0 power whatsoever. Basically, Ethereum established javascript (solidity) as the language to run code, but I can for example use Binance Smartchain or Arbitrum or Avalanche or whatever the gently caress other blockchain network without relying on Ethereum (or any sort of Proof of Work model) at all and using approximately 0 power and costing approximately 1-30 cents to un a transaction. Not everything is relying on a Proof of Work model, and Proof of Stake has it's own issues (IE: rich people control the network).

Web3 is straight stupid, it's even more simple. It amounts to "now you have a website that you can visit and you can send your crypto money to it!" Congrats. Web3, done.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spatial posted:

Failure was baked in from conception.

don't talk about me like that! :sassargh:

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I do wish there was something like digital cash. Where I can pay for something online without having to put in my name or personal information. Like, there are a lot of people that use patreon that I would like to support here and there but I refuse to put my information into the application. I wish I could just hand them 5 dollars through the screen. Which is what I thought bitcoin was before the whole ponzi thing.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Smart contracts are a brilliant way to tech our way out of the inherent inefficiencies of the legal dispute resolution system so long as everyone can consistently write code that behaves perfectly predictably 100% of the time in the face of adversarial activity.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

All the difficulties of writing bulletproof code with the difficulties of writing a watertight contract, that's surely a combo that goes great together!

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I know on some level bitcoin folks are using renewables and driving towards cheaper energy (cheaper not necessarily being ecologically friendly, sadly), but yes that part is stupid because targeting cheaper power could potentially mean Coal or worse.

Even if that were true they would be wasting whatever limited capacity of renewable energy we have on this stupidly inefficient speculation machine

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

gay for gacha posted:

I do wish there was something like digital cash. Where I can pay for something online without having to put in my name or personal information. Like, there are a lot of people that use patreon that I would like to support here and there but I refuse to put my information into the application. I wish I could just hand them 5 dollars through the screen. Which is what I thought bitcoin was before the whole ponzi thing.

How soon we forget Flooz.com.

They even had Whoopi Goldberg as their official spokesperson!

RIP to the original digital currency that increased in value by 20,000% and then went to 0 a few years later because it was just being used for fraud and scams.

BWM: Whoopi took all $8 million of her payment in Flooz.com stock.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

gay for gacha posted:

Making anonymous electronic payments is also a great way to do fraud, money laundering, or other financial crimes. Bitcoin originally was intended to basically be what you're talking about but as it turns out, there are a lot more internet criminals than internet libertarians.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

Smart contracts are a brilliant way to tech our way out of the inherent inefficiencies of the legal dispute resolution system so long as everyone can consistently write code that behaves perfectly predictably 100% of the time in the face of adversarial activity.

Yep, this is the biggest problem. I'm not sure how people thought it was wise? Literally smart contracts are a unique idea in how they work, but the reality of them is summed up like this:
Make sure you know code and have literally reviewed all of the available code before interacting with a smart contract.
IE: should the average person be using this poo poo? Hell no.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

How soon we forget Flooz.com.

They even had Whoopi Goldberg as their official spokesperson!

RIP to the original digital currency that increased in value by 20,000% and then went to 0 a few years later because it was just being used for fraud and scams.

BWM: Whoopi took all $8 million of her payment in Flooz.com stock.

Don't forget the also-ran beenz. The stupid names definitely didn't do them any favors.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Oil! posted:

Practically every merchant does their transactions through an intermediary that keeps it in house, which is why there is the "approved" wallet company in El Salvador.

Like a bank?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

drk posted:

Making anonymous electronic payments is also a great way to do fraud, money laundering, or other financial crimes. Bitcoin originally was intended to basically be what you're talking about but as it turns out, there are a lot more internet criminals than internet libertarians.
How do you tell the difference between the two?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
An internet libertarian is merely an internet criminal who hasn't found the right scam yet. Bit coin fixes this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

How do you tell the difference between the two?

Criminals have fewer child abuse prosecutions per capita.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Midjack posted:

Don't forget the also-ran beenz. The stupid names definitely didn't do them any favors.

The Z at the end of the name was very much the missing vowel of the early 2000s.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

I used to do property inspections. One building I did years ago had an adult store and "theater" with it. Theater being about 40 fold up chairs with a screen and projector in an old garage.

The manager wanted us to get there early to not disturb their customers. He showed up late so our inspection ran to about 9 am. At 8 am when they opened there must have been a dozen middle aged guys waiting to pay $8 each to go into the theater along with a pretty steady stream of people coming into the adult store. The manager said it was like that every day, all day. The place was a gold mine.

quote:

quote:

I don't think it is that unreasonable. I have a girlfriend and kids and don't have a lot of privacy. It's too cold and there are potential legal issues with using an ipad in the car. The novelty store near me lets you rent a booth and getting to pick a movie you've never seen and not have to worry about locking the door or volume is worth $50 for an hour to me.

This post is making me wonder if its not normal to just jerk off quietly in the bathroom whenever you need. Work, sisters house, hospital. You can even use ear buds if you must have sound. Ive never felt the need to go to a shop

quote:

quote:

In regards to DVDs, it's the same reason people buy vinyl discs instead of listening on their phones, and people buying a switch game in package instead online. It's all about the material possesion, collecting and decorating. It has a little more value to some.

I'm big into laser disks and LD porn is a huge market. I've bought and sold LD porn for upwards of $600 for a disk before. The common disk only goes for about $25, but the average will run you about $65. I've spent a good amount (too much over a long period of time so I don't know exactly how much, but a lot) and enjoy my little collection. You can sell rarer disks for several hundred dollars and use that to fund a couple more disks. I try not to put too much money into it per month any more.

quote:

Porn is free. Yes. But you get what you pay for. People would probably be shocked at how much I spend on physical media porn in 2021, but the cost makes it better. It's cool watching vids that i know won't ever lag or get pixilated, they'll also never randomly get taken down.

quote:

Most of the adult stores I have seen are video stores with toys and costumes etc. One actually is kind of like a blockbuster where you rent the films which sounds so gross but I swear I was in line buying something and there were men with shopping carts of DVDs!

Some people collect vinyl records. Maybe there's something about vinyl porn.

quote:

Your question is phrased very judgementally. Not sure if you intended that. People spend thousands of dollars on old Super Nintendo consoles, games, and controllers. Why do that when you can emulate it. They must be crazy! Using the old stuff that is hard to find fundamentally feels different and has a cool factor.

I have probably spent thousands on porn physical media (over many years) and I definitely prefer the experience over random pornhub links. Same amount of money but one is more socially cool.

quote:

Because if you buy a song on iTunes, Apple can remove it remotely from your Music playlist even when you paid for it outright. I didn’t notice some of my music disappeared until the song was playing on the radio and I noted that it hadn’t played on shuffle. I went to look for it on my phone and it was gone. I tried looking for it to redownload it again and couldn’t find it. Because I don’t want to pay $20 month (or $5 or $10, whatever the cost) when I really only want to hear the "songs" I like. This is not to say that a membership is not right for others. It’s just not right for me.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Way to find the audiophiles of the world of pornography.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I have to assume that "men with shopping carts of DVDs" at an adult store several times a month are engaged in some kind of weird reselling market. I don't even know how or why you'd add a shopping cart's worth of porn DVDs to your house multiple times per month without living in a warehouse.

You'd also need to extend the length of the day to 36 hours and watch all day every day to get through that catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have to assume that "men with shopping carts of DVDs" at an adult store several times a month are engaged in some kind of weird reselling market. I don't even know how or why you'd add a shopping cart's worth of porn DVDs to your house multiple times per month without living in a warehouse.

You'd also need to extend the length of the day to 36 hours and watch all day every day to get through that catalogue.

The old "True Porn Clerk Stories" thread on improvisation.ws had some insight into these people.