Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

This isn't a case where you should be too concerned about it because Pfizer/Moderna make the right antibodies. People (the world) that got AstraZenica/Sinovax have more justification to be concerned:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1472749977797632002?t=cZ5tnOnpWiFZTiso_VJhEg&s=19

Big note though: those vaccines don't make the right antibodies, but there's plenty of positive spillover effect (per Fauci) in the T-cell areas, so it helps to keep people out of the hospital still.
And that’s why you don’t buy vaccines from the PRC or Russian Federation. :china::ussr:

Also man I’m happy I got the full dose modernia booster shot. Then again I’m not like that goon whose gotten like 23 vaccinations. I mean unless those screenshots posted on Twitter was fake,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

idempodunk posted:

^ What would this mean for those who've already gotten a half-dose booster? Would getting another half-dose booster be equivalent to having gotten a full-dose one in the first place? Is it likely we'll even be officially eligible to receive a second half-dose booster in the near future?

It’s not likely you will be eligible. This change itself is requiring specific trial data. “If some is good, more is better” isn’t sufficient for regulators, even when it’s a good educated guess.

As for whether it would work, my understanding is that likely would, but not as a simple equivalence to a full dose. Two half doses could be even more effective than one full dose, but they’d have to be spaced by a month or more, for the same reasons that the first, second, and third shots are separated by one or more months.

More likely is that regulators approve full Moderna doses and allow them (and Pfizer’s vaccine) as a second booster, some months after the first booster.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

This isn't a case where you should be too concerned about it because Pfizer/Moderna make the right antibodies. People (the world) that got AstraZenica/Sinovax have more justification to be concerned:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1472749977797632002?t=cZ5tnOnpWiFZTiso_VJhEg&s=19

Big note though: those vaccines don't make the right antibodies, but there's plenty of positive spillover effect (per Fauci) in the T-cell areas, so it helps to keep people out of the hospital still.

AstraZeneca’s vaccine induces more or less the same sorts of antibodies as the mRNA vaccines, antibodies to the spike, the whole spike, and nothing but the spike (of the virus as sequenced in early 2020), it just doesn’t elicit enough of them.

Sinovac’s vaccine is inactivated virus, and the antibodies it induces are qualitatively different.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also man I’m happy I got the full dose modernia booster shot. Then again I’m not like that goon whose gotten like 23 vaccinations. I mean unless those screenshots posted on Twitter was fake,

I saw that 23-dose goon in passing and I have no idea how they didn't just explode into a pile of sickness. The Moderna booster knocked me on my rear end for a day and a half, so I have no idea what Megadose Goon had to deal with.

... wait gently caress, it's a needle fetish isn't it

Platystemon posted:

AstraZeneca’s vaccine induces more or less the same sorts of antibodies as the mRNA vaccines, antibodies to the spike, the whole spike, and nothing but the spike (of the virus as sequenced in early 2020), it just doesn’t elicit enough of them.

Sinovac’s vaccine is inactivated virus, and the antibodies it induces are qualitatively different.

Thanks, I just skimmed that particular one. Sinovac really hasn't been looking good lately and it's not like anyone truly knows what the Chinese numbers are like at any given time. If/when Omicron gets there, lol at the supply chain complaints so far.

Edit: and I know political tribal poo poo and all that, but I still don't understand how people can look at numbers like these and try to play the FAKE NUMBERS FAKE VAX FAKE NEWS card:

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1472932495092232201?t=roOIvLOTxr0l6XoLHqe2iA&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 20, 2021

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pfizer booster trip report.

I got my second Moderna dose back in March and it kicked my rear end. I'd heard from some coworkers that getting the Pfizer booster on top of the Moderna vaccine was way less bad. I can concur. I'm not going to pretend that I felt good yesterday but I was pretty functional. My eyes hurt, I had a pretty decent headache, and I was pretty fatigued all day but it was way better than my second Moderna shot.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

facialimpediment posted:

Edit: and I know political tribal poo poo and all that, but I still don't understand how people can look at numbers like these and try to play the FAKE NUMBERS FAKE VAX FAKE NEWS card:

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1472932495092232201?t=roOIvLOTxr0l6XoLHqe2iA&s=19

Because Biden is president, the federal government is now a liberal communist agenda and any arm of it is not to be trusted. You can quote CDC numbers until you're blue in the face, anti vaxxers will simply say those numbers are fake.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

Because Biden is president, the federal government is now a liberal communist agenda and any arm of it is not to be trusted. You can quote CDC numbers until you're blue in the face, anti vaxxers will simply say those numbers are fake.

That was also true when Trump was president all the bad numbers were deep state saboteurs remember

e: remember when he saved Alabama from the perfidious lies Emmanuel Goldstein kept pushing through NOAA?

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 20, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

I saw that 23-dose goon in passing and I have no idea how they didn't just explode into a pile of sickness. The Moderna booster knocked me on my rear end for a day and a half, so I have no idea what Megadose Goon had to deal with.

... wait gently caress, it's a needle fetish isn't it
You know I'd say that's just too bizarre, but after the last few years....

facialimpediment posted:

Thanks, I just skimmed that particular one. Sinovac really hasn't been looking good lately and it's not like anyone truly knows what the Chinese numbers are like at any given time. If/when Omicron gets there, lol at the supply chain complaints so far.
And that's not even the one the PLA developed on their own....with even less oversight. Well so much for all that vaccine diplomacy. :v:

I should state that I don't want people dying (well people who aren't shitheads), but I just never felt that Sinovac had any of the testing to prove it's claims and the real world data hasn't been any better.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

facialimpediment posted:

The amazing thing about that post is how many people latched onto it as evidence of goon insanity rather than recognizing an obvious fakepost.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Loucks posted:

The amazing thing about that post is how many people latched onto it as evidence of goon insanity rather than recognizing an obvious fakepost.

You are stunningly optimistic for a regular in this thread if you believe fakeposts can ever be obvious again in a world where hundreds of people have been camping at dealy plaza waiting for JFK to come back

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if the guy’s post history before and since were consistent with the story, and they’re not, I’m preeeeetty sure that blood doesn’t work like that.

I don’t know how that story got legs, but got them it did.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If anything his blood would be really fast from all the quicksilver in it

Loucks
May 21, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

You are stunningly optimistic for a regular in this thread if you believe fakeposts can ever be obvious again in a world where hundreds of people have been camping at dealy plaza waiting for JFK to come back

The error here is lumping CSPAM covid thread regulars in with q-anon. :wtc:

There's a fundamental difference between "we should take covid more seriously and err on the side of caution" and "democratic pedophiles are using adrenochrome in pizza parlor basements," and if that's not immediately clear to a person I can see why fakepost identification would also be difficult.

And yeah, the science is just not consistent with the claims. It's funny bullshit that people ran with because they are infinitely credulous and/or really want to believe that the "let's take covid seriously" contingent is just a bunch of insane doomers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

Wait, goons are not insane? poo poo, my entire worldview is smashed.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Statistically, there must be someone out there who got comfort booster shots as a coping mechanism. There are too many people for there, there must be one person out there that has the access and compulsion to weekly boosters. I'm just happy they post on this forums somewhere.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good to know that Chilean Jews have magic powers over Israel. Also just use the translate button as it gives a reasonable translation.

https://twitter.com/gabrielboric/status/1179498192985116672?s=20

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shame on an IGA posted:

Are they still there? gently caress, I was hoping they were gone, my mom wants to go see the book repository

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://www.9news.com.au/national/huge-dust-storm-blankets-queenslands-north-west/fb8e3d6a-611e-45a2-b9a6-f17183740531

Real Fury Road imagery going on here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lol it's Daniel Pipes, he's an old crank nobody likes and he doesn't have enough influence to get a waiter to substitute ham for bacon at the IHOP.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grrrreeeaaaatttt just got an email from my kids school that a kid in my sons Kindergarten class tested positive for Covid.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Grrrreeeaaaatttt just got an email from my kids school that a kid in my sons Kindergarten class tested positive for Covid.

Just one?
We got an email that 5 teachers and 6 students did, lol.
Good thing my daughter is fully vaccinated.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My twin’s five year old birthday in April can’t come soon enough.

At least my daughter is fully vaxxed, but our school district as well as the one my wife teaches at are going mask optional after break. :bang:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Just one?
We got an email that 5 teachers and 6 students did, lol.
Good thing my daughter is fully vaccinated.

Well just one that I know of, my kids are fully vaxxed, but only since the 13th, so a long time till they can get the booster.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Loucks posted:

The error here is lumping CSPAM covid thread regulars in with q-anon. :wtc:

There's a fundamental difference between "we should take covid more seriously and err on the side of caution" and "democratic pedophiles are using adrenochrome in pizza parlor basements," and if that's not immediately clear to a person I can see why fakepost identification would also be difficult.

And yeah, the science is just not consistent with the claims. It's funny bullshit that people ran with because they are infinitely credulous and/or really want to believe that the "let's take covid seriously" contingent is just a bunch of insane doomers.

where is "these frozen bon bons are going to give me covid" on this scale?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1472942635924922372?t=oAR4Sg5Z8v46bf8BPZ_vfw&s=19

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Not that I support brutal crack downs by any kind of government, but if I was elected as a leftist in a wave for my own protection I would probably do a lot of internal cleaning of the intelligence apparatus and then basically hide in a bunker until my new intelligence apparatus can get a handle on most of the violent idiots in the country. Especially if I was in latin america, I would be asking for tips from castro on how not to get deaded by the CIA.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

where is "these frozen bon bons are going to give me covid" on this scale?

Over the top, but still less delusional than "get a vaccine and take no other precautions to protect yourself against a deadly, effectively airborne virus" which seems to be an increasingly popular point of view, especially now that the administration has embraced the essential conclusions of the Great Barrington Declaration. Do you really not remember how urgently the authorities cautioned us to wash our hands and be careful of fomites in the early days of this thing? Hell, they're still telling us to wash our hands as if that's relevant to SARS-CoV-2.

There were a lot of unknowns and a lot of stressors. It's gross to point to that poster panicking under circumstances where it wasn't clear how to stay safe as if it's some sort of own or evidence of insanity. But of course cruelty is a foundational value here on SA, so if we didn't ruthlessly mock people in crisis we just wouldn't be goons. :haw:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/marcusbarnett_/status/1472933253132734467?s=20

Man what a coincidence

Edit: also, this dude's title on LinkedIn

Gonzalo Pinochet
Ayudante de Derecho Constitucional y actualmente pasante en The Leadership Institute en Arlington, Virginia US.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Loucks posted:

Over the top, but still less delusional than "get a vaccine and take no other precautions to protect yourself against a deadly, effectively airborne virus" which seems to be an increasingly popular point of view, especially now that the administration has embraced the essential conclusions of the Great Barrington Declaration. Do you really not remember how urgently the authorities cautioned us to wash our hands and be careful of fomites in the early days of this thing? Hell, they're still telling us to wash our hands as if that's relevant to SARS-CoV-2.

There were a lot of unknowns and a lot of stressors. It's gross to point to that poster panicking under circumstances where it wasn't clear how to stay safe as if it's some sort of own or evidence of insanity. But of course cruelty is a foundational value here on SA, so if we didn't ruthlessly mock people in crisis we just wouldn't be goons. :haw:

the bon bon guy was march 2021. well after fomite transmission was shown in papers to be negligible relative to airborne. and after he posted about threatening a stranger to force his way into their apartment to recover someone else's property. cspam thread is bad and reinforces bad habits in its regulars.

and washing your hands is good for your health. please wash your hands.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 20, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Loucks posted:

Do you really not remember how urgently the authorities cautioned us to wash our hands and be careful of fomites in the early days of this thing? Hell, they're still telling us to wash our hands as if that's relevant to SARS-CoV-2.

Can you show me where handwashing etc has been proven irrelevant to covid? Because uh, many other airborne viruses also can transmit via fomites in the short term and I can't see where it would be beneficial to presume that covid does not spread that way in addition to the air.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

Hell, they're still telling us to wash our hands as if that's relevant to SARS-CoV-2.

Uh, what? No washing your hands remains relevant to ANY viral infection and helping treat spread. Plus:

Brute Squad posted:

Are you seriously arguing that hand washing, one of the most tried and true practices to helping limit the spread of infections, is 'ineffective'?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Handwashing has been shown to be relatively irrelevant with respect to covid as most transmission occurs through inhalation of droplets or aerosols or whatever you want to call it. If I use the wrong term the no-airborne-covid crew tends to get upset, so I'm just using. If anyone has evidence to support fomite transmission as a significant source of infection I'd love to see it, honestly. One thing I can say for sure is that as we continue to go through this thing we are continually learning, and I'm entirely open to new information.

Brute Squad posted:

How in the world can my post be interpreted as an argument against washing hands? :psyduck:

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 20, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

How in the world can my post be interpreted as an argument against washing hands? :psyduck:

You said it wasn't relevant to Covid. It is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7267118/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Loucks posted:

Well if you read it then that's what it says, but maybe it's opposite day and words mean different things, if that's the case then don't continue

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
In “well duh” news, Amazon went out of its way to support Xi and China to break into their markets.

https://twitter.com/aliceysu/status/1471890179723911169?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

In “well duh” news, Amazon went out of its way to support Xi and China to break into their markets.

https://twitter.com/aliceysu/status/1471890179723911169?s=20

Apple does this as well, as long as these guys are making money, they will sell out any and all ideas of security and privacy to keep the money flowing.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

Not that I support brutal crack downs by any kind of government, but if I was elected as a leftist in a wave for my own protection I would probably do a lot of internal cleaning of the intelligence apparatus and then basically hide in a bunker until my new intelligence apparatus can get a handle on most of the violent idiots in the country. Especially if I was in latin america, I would be asking for tips from castro on how not to get deaded by the CIA.

I have some bad news for you about Comrade Fidel...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1472658271685300236?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

You said it wasn't relevant to Covid. It is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7267118/

Is there some data buried in this paper that supports the claim that covid is spread via fomites, or are you just dumping a link into the thread in the hopes that no one will read it? The abstract just asserts that handwashing is good and is being used at the time of publication (early 2020) as a significant part of covid prevention. But my point was exactly this: that the authorities insisted that everyone should wash their hands specifically to prevent covid infection despite no evidence that it was a meaningful vector.

Or is your claim that handwashing is relevant to covid because CDC, et al. urged people to wash their hands in response to covid? That seems to be the only position supported by the link.

e: at least thank you for not doing the bad faith "why do you hate washing hands??" nonsense.