Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Uncle Enzo posted:

Somewhat related:

My friend Saul lived out in the country with two good-size dogs that liked to roam, despite Saul's efforts to keep them contained. One day Saul's neighbor came over and related that the two dogs were threatening his cattle and informed Saul if the dogs came near his animals again, he would shoot them.

Saul's response? He thanked the rancher for giving him the warning and last chance to restrain the dogs. The rancher could have just shot them outright. Instead he went out of his way to locate their owner and warn Saul.

Saul then completely changed his strategy to restrain the dogs, knowing that if they got loose again that would probably be it for them.

Moral: be grateful for warnings.

That OP has an extremely narrow window to try and keep her daughter out of legal trouble, she should be grateful to have the chance before the cops and courts get involved.

Did the neighbour think: Better call Saul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
please, maths will always be there for her, but dipac

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
seriously tho get your daughter in therapy

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hughlander posted:

AITA for taking my daughter shopping when she was supposed to be punished?

Sure, the 14 year old's brain is being cooked in a cocktail of growth/sex hormones but holy gently caress she basically got rewarded for psycho-level behavior.

There's no way the story isn't around to literally everyone at school within a matter of hours so she's definitely going to be ostracized by many of her peers, that's a better time to start trying to find ways to cheer her up not literally on the drive home from picking her up after being expelled from her group.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kntfkr posted:

My son is bad at maths but good at Englishes.

The british are so weird, they have many maths but only one sport

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

haveblue posted:

The british are so weird, they have many maths but only one sport

it's called football and it's not what you think

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for yelling at my mom that I hate Harry Potter and to LET ME LIVE MY OWN LIFE

quote:

As my title suggests, my mom is a huge Harry Potter nut. She and my dad actually met in a harry potter “IRC” (like Disord but for old people) in the early 00s got married had kids and from day one decided to embarrass us for life by naming us after some Harry Potter and Star Wars characters.

It’s honestly been hell. I have a stupid name and since we were little my parents have forced stuff like Harry Potter, Star Wars, marvel movies, etc etc down our throats. Everything is about dragons and magic and blah blah blah. I’m so sick of it. Every birthday every holiday everything is just organized around “fandom.”

So just like every Christmas the days leading up to Christmas we have to sit down every night and watch Harry Potter movies. It’s. So. loving. BORING!!!! I can usually get away with knitting or drawing on my Ipad during this but this year my mom was like “let’s just have a technology and distraction free night every night”

I arranged to go over to my friend Missy’s house instead for like two nights. Missy’s family is NORMAL and likes things a NORMAL amount. My mom got really mad and started talking about how it’s a family tradition and how I’m basically rejecting her and went on her whole thing about how “you wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for harry potter.”

I finally had it and just yelled “NOBODY CARES THAT YOU WERE A BIG NAME IN THE HARRY POTTER FAN CLUB!!! I don’t like Harry Potter! I don’t like Star Wars! I HATE MARVEL MOVIES THEY’RE ALL SO BORING PLEASE JUST LET ME HAVE MY OWN INTERESTS!”

I couldn’t help it I started crying because I was just so frustrated because everything always has to be about harry potter this star wars that and now that we’re all older they started doing game of thrones. EVERYTHING is centered around some kind of movie or tv show or book series.

Just onces I want my family to band around something that DOESN’T have to do with media or these nerdy things. We live in Utah where we have like 5 National Parks and even though I ask every year for my birthday I’VE NEVER EVEN BEEN TO ARCHES!!!!

Well my sister called me saying that mom was angry and to just come home and to stop with the theatrics. I told her that I’m sick of having all this old “nerd” stuff crammed down my throat and just once I want to have a normal time watching normal Christmas movies and not having to pause for “lightsabre battles”.”

AITA?!??!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
(like Discord but for old people)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for yelling at my mom that I hate Harry Potter and to LET ME LIVE MY OWN LIFE

this is too good, it's real to me damnit

Foo Diddley posted:

(like Discord but for old people)

lol I played classic wow for a bit and got made fun of for calling discord vent

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

quote:

“IRC” (like Disord but for old people)

I did not need to be attacked like this today :mad:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I thought Discord was for olds now. What do the kids use these days?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Something Awful (like Facebook but for old people)

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's weird how quick technology makes you obsolete. I'm 35 and used to be able to do anything on a computer just by rooting around and now I can barely navigate windows 10.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It's weird how quick technology makes you obsolete. I'm 35 and used to be able to do anything on a computer just by rooting around and now I can barely navigate windows 10.

i'm sure you can still do anything on a computer just by rooting around, you just haven't got as much patience for it anymore

it isn't any harder but it's just as tedious as it was decades ago

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Let the KIIIIDS Go to ARCHES. But unironically.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

When I was a kid, I *always* had to have my parents' VCR clock set. As an adult, I don't care if my microwave blinks CLOCK at me all day.

Foo is correct; you've just realized that it's not worth the effort. If Microsoft is gonna keep changing how I set my desktop background, I'm just not gonna set it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Variable 5 posted:

When I was a kid, I *always* had to have my parents' VCR clock set. As an adult, I don't care if my microwave blinks CLOCK at me all day.

Foo is correct; you've just realized that it's not worth the effort. If Microsoft is gonna keep changing how I set my desktop background, I'm just not gonna set it.

oh i'll figure out how to do it, i always have. only thing i do differently these days is i'm not gonna help anyone else do it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Let's be honest, IRC was already outmoded when I was using it in the 00s. To say nothing of pirating stuff from hubs.

AITA for chosing my STEPMOM over my biological mom?

quote:

I am 24F and I just bought a new house. My dad and stepmom contributed too for the house and it looks perfect. My mom left me and my dad when I was 5 because my dad couldn't earn much. A year later he remarried to my stepmom (J). She wasn't what I thought stepmoms would be. She was kind and really talented. I don't have other siblings or stepsister. She basically raised me as her own daughter. She helped through everything (financially too).My biological mom (K) came for me when I was 16. I had grown a hatred for her as she abandoned me. She still was invited to events like my birthday or Christmas. She has a stepdaughter few years younger than me.

So when I bought a new house I expected my stepmom to move in with me as it was closer to the hospital she has to go every 3 months(Diabetes). Before I could move in my mom asked me how many rooms were there. I told her how many were there and she said she and her stepdaughter would move in a week later to CHOOSE the rooms. I told her no as J was moving in with me and it caused a big argument between us. She included J and my dad and said how J brain washed me and created chaos between a mother and daughter. She yelled at me for being raised pathetically and "I gave birth to you so you owe me a lot". Her stepdaughter called me said I was being a bi*ch for not giving her a place to stay. J and I moved in 3 days ago but we still get calls from them telling me to kick J out or K won't see me again. I don't think I am but am I the AH?

Edit: Why they are/want to move in my house? 1) J has diabetes appointment every three months and my dad's place is nearly 2 hour flight + hotel. Living with me can reduce the cost.

2) K's stepdaughter wants to live in the city and in my house so as family we don't have to pay each other. She is broke and jobless. K wants to stay so she can supervise me.

3) My dad isn't involved because he is a peace keeper. He doesn't get angry quickly and doesn't do activities that makes him regret later.
Give me your house.

AITA for selling my house to get away from my sister? (self.AmItheAsshole)

quote:

I took in my pregnant sister when she almost homeless, kicked out by her bf (father of the baby). We aren’t close but I let her into my home because I didn’t want my nephew to be homeless. The agreement was I took her in for 3 months and she would find a job and find a place to live in that time. Almost year later she’s still later she hasn’t left and I’m stuck paying for her and her son. Even worse she recently got back together with the bf that kicked her out but hasn’t forced him to pay any child support so I’m paying for everything. He’s a stinky disgusting rear end in a top hat who I banned from the house but my sister keeps sneaking him I n when I’m out. I can afford it as I have a good job but I’m sick of her mooching off me when she could find a job but hasn’t sent out a single resume. She has had depression in the past and is probably depressed now and so she begged our mom to speak to me on her behalf who keeps telling me when I let her into my home I signed an obligation for life to take care of her son. I’m also single without children so in her eyes I don’t have any obligations now but to take care of her grandson. Ive been looking for a better job for a while and I just found one. It’s a work from home job but I can’t imagine working with my sister around. I’ve told her I’m selling the house and moving states and she has 2 months to move out. Now all I’m getting is phone calls from my mother and other family members who know they have to take care of my sister if I leave begging me to keep taking care of her. She is screaming at me for leaving her “on the streets” and I can’t wait for Feb to come early enough. But I feel kind of guilty looking at my nephew who is going to suffer because both of his lovely parents and probably is going to end up like them. AITA?
GIVE. ME. YOUR. HOUSE.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm pretty sure I've called Discord "IRC but for young people" so, fair.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

hawowanlawow posted:

this is too good, it's real to me damnit

lol I played classic wow for a bit and got made fun of for calling discord vent

Vi sitter här i Venten och spelar lite Dota

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm pretty sure I've called Discord "IRC but for young people" so, fair.

Something Awful (a BBS for babies)

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

when I let her into my home I signed an obligation for life to take care of her son

Well, I'm *never* having my brother and his wife spend the night with their kids.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Boba Pearl posted:

Seriously? Nobody else?!

E: I think you guys are bull making GBS threads me on this I grew up in foster care so I met like 50 -60 kids as I grew up some rehoused or reunited and I can't think of a single friend who hasn't been robbed, beaten, or assaulted in some manner.

Never in my life. I can't think of anyone I know who has been mugged either.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah same, other than my friend's mexico-city girlfriend I don't know anyone who's ever been mugged. Everyone's had their apartment or car broken into of course, but never personally mugged. Thieves just want a low-risk score, not a fight.

Of course weird suburban people who don't know how to de-escalate with homeless folks constantly say they were "mugged" or "attacked" when they come here, but it's entirely poo poo like "A homeless person asked me for money and instead of just saying "sorry" and walking on I stopped and told him to get a job and ask him what gives him the right to harass me and my christian family. He then slowly stood up and used a curse word so I threw my wallet at him and ran to protect my wife and kids. This city needs to double its police budget!!!"

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 20, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
gotta be real never getting robbed? that's a hit.

lucky computer touching pieces of poo poo

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
if someone speaks to you do you just throw all your personal belongings at them and then run away

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What's this? Manga for old people?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
No I waited until they press a gun barrel or a knife to my head, chest, or stomach when I'm walking home from school.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
lol

uh huh

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

No I waited until they press a gun barrel or a knife to my head, chest, or stomach when I'm walking home from school.

Do you really think that the majority of the world experiences this?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
The Reverse Walter Mitty

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Boba Pearl posted:

Okay so if being robbed is such a ho-hum, everyday occurrence then what's with your complete inability to shut the gently caress up about it for two seconds?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Google tells me that 30 robberies per 100 000 people happen per year in Denmark, and that figure specifically does not discriminate between purse snatching and direct threats of violence, but notes that the former is more common.

I don't know what to tell you, I have never met anyone who's ever been mugged. It's not universal.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Variable 5 posted:

What time is it at your parents house?

TWELVE O'CLOCK
TWELVE O'CLOCK
TWELVE O'CLOCK

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Human Tornada posted:

Okay so if being robbed is such a ho-hum, everyday occurrence then what's with your complete inability to shut the gently caress up about it for two seconds?

whoa, hey hey hey

gettin' mugged might not be as common in our parts of the world but let's not attack the armed robbery victim over it, huh?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

whoa, hey hey hey

gettin' mugged might not be as common in our parts of the world but let's not attack themultiple armed robbery victim over it, huh?

FTFY

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
it's always fun when a goon makes an offhand comment about something that seems completely normal to them, only to realize that the rest of us are going "what the gently caress?!" and actually their life experiences are very different from other goons.

That's ok though! We've all had different hosed up stuff happen to us in our lives. But for the record, I've never ever been mugged or beaten up either. My spouse has, but that was before we met. It's not that common among people I know.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

whoa, hey hey hey

gettin' mugged might not be as common in our parts of the world but let's not attack the armed robbery victim over it, huh?

Everyone else already has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Rust Martialis posted:

Everyone else already has

yeah and my own comments weren't the most supportive either

it's us, we're the assholes