Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Except that the botched spell was tearing reality several new ones at that very moment so there wasn't time for nuance.

Yeah but that was from changing while it was being cast, no reason they couldn't just learn from that and do it properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I would also like to note that for most of NWH, Every time Peter is outside, he's spotted by news choppers and people on the street who end up dogging him until he hides.

However, the massive lightshow of electricity, world-fabric tearing, explosions, and destruction of scaffolding/shield at the statue of liberty go completely unnoticed by the entirety of New York City.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
NWH Antagonist Stuff: One intresting thing of note they never mention the exact date and time of their deaths. You could do ALOT of things with Alternative Timelines (im thinking along the lines of Ray Bradbury A Sound of Thunder) where maybe Obama never won in Tobey-Man's universe (instead Osborn does, Dark Reign-style) or OrangeMan never winning in Andrew-Man's

to be blunt, i REALLY hope this isn't the last we'll see of these characters

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Retro Futurist posted:

I do take some issue with that, I get it was for story purposes and everything but Strange could have totally put like a 2 mile safety zone there, or even just left his own memory so they could deal with it later. It's one of those things you just have to not think about too much

Spoilered just to not spoil the original spoiler - but not directly related to NWH:

But then how would we find out in later MCU movies that someone had cast the same spell years before to make everyone forget the existance of The Sentry/The Void?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

El Generico posted:

Peter shows the same amount of respect for the Statue of Liberty that the US shows to the values it represents

That reminds me I agree with that one radio call in voice near the start that adding a Captain America shield to the Statue of Liberty is loving stupid. I mean sure he saved the world, give him a drat statue I say, but he didn't save the world alone (he didn't even die in the process!). If we're just gonna sanctify the Avengers that much why not just put a fuckin arc reactor on the statue's chest?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

That reminds me I agree with that one radio call in voice near the start that adding a Captain America shield to the Statue of Liberty is loving stupid. I mean sure he saved the world, give him a drat statue I say, but he didn't save the world alone (he didn't even die in the process!). If we're just gonna sanctify the Avengers that much why not just put a fuckin arc reactor on the statue's chest?

Hell yeah and a quiver on its back!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Statue of Liberty to honour all the Avengers but they accidentally make an idol of Taskmaster.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought No Way Home was pretty great.

I marked out for Daredevil so hard. He didn't even do much, but he was there. Wonderful.

I really liked the message of the film. I felt like it was addressing a lot of complaints people have had about MCU Spider-Man. Took away his Stark stuff. Left him broke. And in general a Spider-Man story about him refusing to kill his villains and instead do something to save them really got me in the heart.

May's tombstone wrecked me. That's a good quote. That whole thing just got me really hard.

Garfield was actually great. I hated that first Amazing film and thought the second was only marginally better, but man did he show it wasn't his fault. He's just delightful in all of his scenes. McGuire did a great job as well. He was distinct from the Spider-Verse old Pete but still managed to be that kind of mentor figure. It was really nice having them around. They didn't overshadow Holland and it felt like both characters got some closure. Garfield catching MJ managed to get me even when I saw it coming.

Was that the Strange from What If? That rules. Happy to see Wanda.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lobok posted:

Statue of Liberty to honour all the Avengers but they accidentally make an idol of Taskmaster.

Or it becomes the Super-Adaptoid.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Happitoo posted:

Spoilered just to not spoil the original spoiler - but not directly related to NWH:

But then how would we find out in later MCU movies that someone had cast the same spell years before to make everyone forget the existance of The Sentry/The Void?

I rescind my complaint

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, I've been mulling things over for a little bit, and I think these are some things I'd like to see in the next Spider-man helmed movie

Since No one knows that Peter is Spider-man anymore, and the Avengers are kind of done-ish (Steve's old, Thor's in space, Tony and Widow are dead, and Hawkeye is "retired") I want him to go back to dealing with lower level threats. Not saving the world, or even New York from out and out destruction. Something a little more earth based.

I think someone else mentioned it, but let's bring in Felicia/Black Cat. She can be someone that Peter opens up to, and has a relationship with, and maybe, in a bit of bad judgement, reveals his identity to. He's alone and he's tired of being alone and he just wants to be able to share his hero identity with someone. Now that he's not a public figure, he doesn't have any reason to hang out with Daredevil (yet), though he could be another Brother in arms.

Back to Black Cat, I think it's a good opportunity for Peter to get out, explore and maybe get to see a side of "Hey, these powers don't have to be used just to save the world. Live a little." Yes, of course "Power = Responsibility" and I'm sure by the end of the movie he'd end up back there. But maybe Spider-man can cut loose and have a little fun in his life for just a little while? He's 17-18 by the end of this movie, he spent 5 years not existing, and before/after that he was in 2 mega-battles for the fate of all life. Maybe he can enjoy his life a bit before that. Go out, be a little naughty, maybe steal a bit from the rich to give back to the poor, as long as nobody gets hurt. Narrator: Someone will get hurt.

Black Cat goes around doing burglar poo poo, Spidey chases but never quite captures her, or maybe never turns her in ala Catwoman. But being young, stupid and reckless she ends up trying to steal from Kingpin, and you can imagine how that goes. End of the day, Kingpin should be foiled, Black Cat lives to steal another day, and Daredevil might bookend some parts as both Hero and lawyer, but just cameo stuff. Maybe a few more lines than NWH, but he's not the focus, just seasoning.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have very strong feelings about that ending.

I get that part of being a Spider-Man fan is eternally yelling "can't Peter Parker just get a goddamn win for once in his life", but... CAN'T PETER PARKER JUST GET A GODDAMNED WIN FOR ONCE IN HIS LIFE? argh!

And, like, I get that they pushed him too far into being Iron Man Jr., but I liked the things that made MCU Spidey unique, and to see them roll him back so harshly to Spider-Man Classic bugs me. But I'd have been much more okay with it if Peter had not done the maddeningly self-sabotaging and thus completely in-character aaaaagh thing of not reuiniting with his supporting cast. Whom I also liked and they better be back goddammit!

Also, the original spell wasn't to erase the entire goddamn concept of Peter Parker from everyone's mind, just the link between him and Spider-Man, and I'm not entirely sure why it had to be modified to be like that to close the mutiversal gaps.

Also also, was that Dr. Strange Supreme in the trailer? I think that was Dr. Strange Supreme, that'd be cool.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TwoPair posted:

Yes, replace the tablet with the shield and the torch with mjolnir instead

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yes, replace the tablet with the shield and the torch with mjolnir instead

Yes, placing the icon of an actual god on the Statue of Liberty would go over well with right wingers

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh, one more thing, not having Spider-Man and Venom interact was a tremendous cop-out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, one more thing, not having Spider-Man and Venom interact was a tremendous cop-out.

I'm glad. I think that would have overshadowed other things and taken the character off the board for future films.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, placing the icon of an actual god on the Statue of Liberty would go over well with right wingers
Who knows maybe the mcu right wing is all about the norse gods now

TwoPair posted:

The shield is specifically an american symbol so of course it's what america is going to add. I'm sure they're building thor statues in oslo too. But also...

stev posted:

Oh I thought everyone was talking about the Firefly Serenity. I was trying to work out what was so objectionable about it (other than Joss Whedon).
Killed Book, killed Wash, turned River into another carbon copy "tiny girl what knows kung-fu"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Here's a fun glimpse through the eyes of the average non-Turbo nerd movie goer.

Two of my coworkers were talking about seeing No Way Home this weekend.
- One of them thought that Doctor Strange was also in the Toby Maguire Spider-Man movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjbAcW7cNgo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CapnAndy posted:

I thought that was an odd decision, yeah.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The United States posted:

Who knows maybe the mcu right wing is all about the norse gods now

The shield is specifically an american symbol so of course it's what america is going to add. I'm sure they're building thor statues in oslo too. But also...

Was really hoping we’d have gotten something similar in Endgame. Still holding out for Thor whipping his hammer around a star.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

I'm glad. I think that would have overshadowed other things and taken the character off the board for future films.
Yeah, but c'mon, setting it up in one post-credits just for the literal next post-credits to go "lol j/k"? Get out of here with that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I still stand by my idea that Eddie should've been getting trashed with Peter B Parker

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Was really hoping we’d have gotten something similar in Endgame. Still holding out for Thor whipping his hammer around a star.

Only thing that kinda erked me about Hickmans run was those panels. TOO OnTheNose for a character that is the literal living embodiment American Cold War hegemony. Seemed like he'd be above that type of boomer bullshit.

Other than those gripes Hickman's Avengers run is the best with Busiek's a close second

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 21, 2021

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but c'mon, setting it up in one post-credits just for the literal next post-credits to go "lol j/k"? Get out of here with that.

Did you miss the end of that scene? It sets stuff up pretty clearly

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

Did you miss the end of that scene? It sets stuff up pretty clearly
No, I saw. Still a major cop-out.

Also, and unrelated to that, the longer I sit with it, the less I like erasing the entire concept of Peter Parker from reality. It's overkill and the implications are kinda horrible.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

A lot of problems could have been avoided if Strange had just explained to Peter exactly what his spell was going to be before he started casting it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhonne posted:

A lot of problems could have been avoided if Strange had just explained to Peter exactly what his spell was going to be before he started casting it.
Or if that had been the spell he cast at the end instead of the juiced up "No More Peter Parker" special!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhonne posted:

I mean he kind of did. Granted, he could (probably should) have started the whole thing after Peter laid out his requirements very carefully but still, after the first or second time Peter asks him to modify the spell, he's basically like "okay let's cut it out" and is clearly getting stressed out/losing control of the spell but Peter keeps talking like he's adding additional items at a drive-thru window

CapnAndy posted:

Or if that had been the spell he cast at the end instead of the juiced up "No More Peter Parker" special!

I'm pretty sure they explain (although it's kind of rushed, I may be confused) that the spell has gone more haywire and all the beings threatening to come through the cracks at the end are now gunning for Peter specifically. At that point it was No More Peter or else Dr. Strange could have pulled into some sort of multiverse of madness! Glad we dodged that bullet.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 21, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Think I'm gonna sit on it for the night first but I enjoyed nwh quite a bit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CapnAndy posted:

Speaking of, next movie could lead into an adaptation of the less classic but more edgy "Peter Parker No More" story. He has no one and being both Spider-Man and Peter has caused him problems so he thinks maybe he doesn't need to be Peter much anymore. People have said they'd like to see Black Cat introduced and she's the perfect love interest for that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Peter should really have just asked him to make everyone forget the Mysterio broadcast instead of forget that Peter = Spider-man

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The whole ending of NWH is Dr Strange casts a spell so everyone forgets Peter Parker. Peter Parker still exists, he still has a birth certificate and his name appears where it should be, but people see it any go "i don't know who that is" and it gets ignored. Peter can still go up to people and say "hi i'm peter parker" and that will be the first time the other person has met him for all they know. It's nothing more complex than that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh thank god I can click on this thread again :haw: (Or possibly: aw gently caress I can click on this thread again :sigh:)

So okay I have mostly very very positive thoughts. Buncha nitpicks too but just very technical ones. It might just be me but a lot of the execution felt a bit amateurish, in a "well, they did their best to cram twenty major characters into this film but it's still really obvious when the majority of them are pouring their hearts out at blank friggin' air" kind of way. I think maybe fifty or even sixty percent of all dialogue was shot without actors being in the same room together. Which led to, for me, a lot of said dialogue feeling and either overwritten or underwritten. I enjoyed that the two other Peters had so much interaction and so much stuff to say to each other instead of just being momentary cameos like I'd somewhat assumed, but in a small way it also almost felt like they were forcing them to banter a bit much when they could have just...let less be more. And then there are other moments where, like, something dangerous is about to happen, and there are seven people crammed into a room, someone probably could have reacted fast enough to prevent the bad thing from happening but the bad thing has to happen so...y'know. It does.

Fortunately all that doesn't harm the actual meat of the film very much, ie the actual plot and characterizations and, yeah, incredible fan-service. I think I liked everything that everyone did, everything that ended up happening here, which is impressive. Mostly I'm quite impressed that it all came together rather coherently, and in a way that did justice to the parts that it really needed to do justice to, which was something I missed from the previous two films, though that's also a bit of an oversimplification. All in all I didn't feel like there were any particular missing moments, or any messaging that particularly contradicted itself. I suppose the ending does feel a little bit like a walkback for some of the MCU Spider-Man stuff...but in a way that still makes me excited to see what comes next. This is basically the MCU's version of One More Day, and I'm sure they'll find some way to fix it. They can't seriously deny us Ned Leeds, Sorcerer Supreme, after all.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I can't think of anything more Parker Luck than Pete dutifully staying away from Ned for his own good, only for him to become an amoral super scientist and combine latent magic abilities with designs inspired by a crazy looking guy on a bat glider who trashed a highway and powerbombed Spider-Man through an apartment block. And I am here for it, get that kid practicing on a balance board, stat.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sentinel Red posted:

I can't think of anything more Parker Luck than Pete dutifully staying away from Ned for his own good, only for him to become an amoral super scientist and combine latent magic abilities with designs inspired by a crazy looking guy on a bat glider who trashed a highway and powerbombed Spider-Man through an apartment block. And I am here for it, get that kid practicing on a balance board, stat.

WHOA, you need to get your eyes checked, mate. That was a spinebuster if I've ever seen one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There are two things that already kind of grind my gears about the discussion from the movie and one is the number of people who want/expect Ned to become Hobgoblin. Not even sure if it's the fans saying it that irks me or the thought that's what the execs or filmmakers or whatever will actually do. Or maybe it's just because it's another reason to dislike that the character is named Ned Leeds, because it provides the weakest and most threadbare connection to 616 Ned, as if he isn't actually Ganke and wasn't straight-up stolen from Miles Morales and denies Miles from having him in future movies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

WHOA, you need to get your eyes checked, mate. That was a spinebuster if I've ever seen one.

drat right it was

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There was a powerbomb and a spine buster in the movie.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Why can't there be two heavy set south east Asian kids in a movie series set in New York?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Honestly if they want to introduce Hobgoblin, go the Phil Urich route. Introduce Ben as a competitor to Jameson and Pete becomes friends with his nephew Phil, then through whatever contrivance you like he can become Hobgoblin/Green Goblin/Goblin King. Hell, merge him with some of the other Hobgoblins and eschew the formula and insanity for a being a crime lord with a theatric bent in your Spidey vs organized crime story since it seems like Pete is now primed to be a proper city hero again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

Why can't there be two heavy set south east Asian kids in a movie series set in New York?

Who both know a Spider-Man, are his best friend, know his secret identity and do his tech support? The MCU Ned is 100% a carbon copy of Ganke and has 0 to do with the comics Ned Leeds.