Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's so bad even the local Walmart that hasn't had stock since the Captain Marvel wave is choked with them, including the exclusive figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's so bad even the local Walmart that hasn't had stock since the Captain Marvel wave is choked with them, including the exclusive figure.

exclusive?

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I remember when they first announced the Eternals figures and I thought "Why?" And sure enough, there are 20 Angelina Jolies collecting dust on an endcap at Target.

Speaking of Target, I had to brave one today, but was rewarded as I found the whole new wave of MOTU Origins. That was having to deal with the insanity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nodosaur posted:

exclusive?

They made an exclusive captain marvel for Walmart

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294650336050?hash=item449a875332:g:TRkAAOSwdfdhXdO0

Is it this?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hrm.

Think I'm gonna go for the Endgame pack with Rescue instead

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nodosaur posted:

Hrm.

Think I'm gonna go for the Endgame pack with Rescue instead

That’s a really good looking version.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

That's the standard release, which I know because I bought that exact one at Target. The auction is mislabeled there. Scam or incompetence? Who knows...

The exclusive had a bunch of orange fire effects. Every version had the swappable heads.

I was never too happy with the regular release version I got because the paint apps were just not very precise on the uniform, like the little gold piping didn't line up where it should. I have thought about buying a fancy import or something where it'll be a better representation of the costume, cause it's a cool design. Thought about repainting it myself, but :effort:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nerd Of Prey posted:

That's the standard release, which I know because I bought that exact one at Target. The auction is mislabeled there. Scam or incompetence? Who knows...

The exclusive had a bunch of orange fire effects. Every version had the swappable heads.

I was never too happy with the regular release version I got because the paint apps were just not very precise on the uniform, like the little gold piping didn't line up where it should. I have thought about buying a fancy import or something where it'll be a better representation of the costume, cause it's a cool design. Thought about repainting it myself, but :effort:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1538109051...%3ABFBM5v6H2bpf

Is it this then?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yes, that's the actual exclusive.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The best Cap Marvel ML is the one that came with her flight jacket and Goose :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The best Cap Marvel ML is the one that came with her flight jacket and Goose :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Exactly so.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
AmiAmi had the new Dragon Ball Super Hero figures up for preorder. I got one for the Goku but I hosed up and took too long for the Vegeta.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Shiroc posted:

AmiAmi had the new Dragon Ball Super Hero figures up for preorder. I got one for the Goku but I hosed up and took too long for the Vegeta.

https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/dragon-ball/56617-shfiguarts-dragon-ball-super-super-hero-vegeta-super-hero-ver-bandai-.html

There ya go. NNG is legit, I've used them several times and have my own preorders for these figures on there. They do ask for up-front payment, unlike amiami, though.

If you're okay with waiting, Vegeta (along with all of the figures for this particular "wave") is a "normal" release, meaning he'll show up on places like Amazon, Barnes & Nobel, GameStop, etc. for regular retail price. But since he releases in June in Japan, you're likely not gonna see him until August at the earliest on the U.S. sites.

I wound up ordering the whole wave in one go on NNG, only later realizing that meant that they wouldn't ship *any* of them until the last one releases in July. So I wound up ordering all four individually as well. I'd be happy to sell you my second Vegeta for cost + shipping.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CelticPredator posted:

I was talking about the Eternals exclusive, walmart got Salma Hayek and Target got Angelina Jolie.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Nanigans posted:

https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/dragon-ball/56617-shfiguarts-dragon-ball-super-super-hero-vegeta-super-hero-ver-bandai-.html

There ya go. NNG is legit, I've used them several times and have my own preorders for these figures on there. They do ask for up-front payment, unlike amiami, though.

If you're okay with waiting, Vegeta (along with all of the figures for this particular "wave") is a "normal" release, meaning he'll show up on places like Amazon, Barnes & Nobel, GameStop, etc. for regular retail price. But since he releases in June in Japan, you're likely not gonna see him until August at the earliest on the U.S. sites.

I wound up ordering the whole wave in one go on NNG, only later realizing that meant that they wouldn't ship *any* of them until the last one releases in July. So I wound up ordering all four individually as well. I'd be happy to sell you my second Vegeta for cost + shipping.

Thanks for all of the details. I'll let you know if I decide to take you up on yours.

On things that arrived this year

I like them though I wish that the package had come with two stands. I ordered some of their easel style ones for the school Gwen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This may be a dead-end question unless Shiroc or Gatos have some insight, but is there a guide somewhere for identifying vintage Godzilla and Ultraman finger puppets? Just looking at that request I’m realizing how insanely niche that must be :cripes:

I’ve been looking at new ideas for my resin dump moulds and I realized how trivially easy it would be to cast the finger puppets I already have in silicone and do crazy colorways with them, but I wanted to see what else is out there. I’m pretty sure all the ones I have are Heisei era and easy to replace if I end up messing them up in the process, but I wanted to double check.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kaiju fans are pretty drat passionate - you'll find a resource somewhere. :)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
You could also try asking in the CD Godzilla thread. I don't think there is a full overlap of posters and people were able to ID an amazing glitter Godzilla really quickly.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 20, 2021

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Yeah it sucks but honestly not totally unexpected given the holiday season and crumbling of chains due to omicron. Two packages I'm supposed to get today from FedEx, one of them being the 3-Pack Legends X-Force set, are gonna be delayed until Wednesday.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This may be a dead-end question unless Shiroc or Gatos have some insight, but is there a guide somewhere for identifying vintage Godzilla and Ultraman finger puppets? Just looking at that request I’m realizing how insanely niche that must be :cripes:

I’ve been looking at new ideas for my resin dump moulds and I realized how trivially easy it would be to cast the finger puppets I already have in silicone and do crazy colorways with them, but I wanted to see what else is out there. I’m pretty sure all the ones I have are Heisei era and easy to replace if I end up messing them up in the process, but I wanted to double check.

Finger puppets are an obscure one; I have more info and books about keshi than I do those. I'd say try clubtokyo.org but I'm not sure if they have those there or not.

edit: I mean, if they are Heisei, then they 90% are likely to be Bandai items. They still make tons of finger puppet kaiju (I went to an Ultraman event a few years ago and there were bins just FULL of them) but they are like the cheapest of the cheapest toys, meant to be affordable to kids.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 20, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Joe Fisto posted:

Ah gently caress you guys.

my dude I get wanting your stuff but drivers are often out 13+ hours on the road every day in late november/all of december, especially the week before christmas.

like, I got a notification that a package I had ordered was expected to be delivered at 10:30 PM(which was subsequently delayed to the following day, the driver likely said "gently caress it, I'm done for the day"). And most drivers start out on the road at like 8-9AM.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FedEx isn't union as well so that doesn't help since the drivers (as well as all other workers) are pretty much treated like poo poo.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
When my kids are around when a package is delivered, I ask them to wave hi and yell thank you to the UPS/USPS/FedEx deliverer so they know we appreciate them. I'm totally fine if my packages show up a day or two later, gotta accept our new reality.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 20, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well nothings going to make packages move faster right now

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Edit: ignore me. Bad day.

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 20, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nodosaur posted:

Black Panther

I dunno, like $15 shipped? I will have to get my MCU Mls together after the holidays and take some pics, but if you want a bunch of them, I'll sell em to you cheap.

Off the top of my head I know I have:

Civil War Black Panther
Black Panther wave Black Panther (unsure if it's the m'Baku or Okoye one, I wanna say Okoye)
2-pack Agent Ross and Kilmonger
Solo Kilmonger in the BP suit from whichever wave that was
M'Baku wave Kilmonger in the fatigues
GotG1 Star Lord with the long jacket
GotG1 Rocket
GotG2 Star Lord solo release with the short jacket
GotG2 Rocket
GotG2 Ego
GotG2 Toy's R Us Groot (the one with the baby and the plant)
GotG1 Groot BAF
Civil War Iron-Man/Cap/Spidey 3 pack
A bunch of Ant-Man parts
Netflix Luke Cage and Claire Temple 2 pack

I forget what else. A lot of them are still in the box new, a bunch or loose. Will have to go track down what is what.

Oh yeah and I have some Fox X-Men figures I'm gonna offload too... Magneto, the Wolverines, and the Comic Con exclusives probably, I need to do an inventory. For awhile I was just grabbing MLs left and right as they came out if they even slightly struck my fancy because of how quickly they were selling out, and now I just have all this stuff and it needs to go.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I kinda want that magneto. I could never pull the trigger for the full set. But I love me some fass.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I kinda want that magneto. I could never pull the trigger for the full set. But I love me some fass.

I mainly wanted it for the Sir Ian and Sir Patrick heads. Well, and the wheelchair. I wanted to find a good casual white shirt and pants ML body to throw it on and just have him and Patrick Stewart hanging out in action figure form on my desks, because I've met both actors around town (NYC) twice at this point and they're awesome and two wonderful dudes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey guys, rambling nonsense incoming,

So as I said previously, I’ve made a lot of progress in therapy. Over the last few months we’ve covered a lot of ground, delved into my trauma and started processing things in a way I never have before. The goal is to assemble the broken pieces of myself and try to be a better, more functional person.
So we’ve pinpointed where things started to go wrong for me. This takes place in 1987. Some of you may know that I share a name with a fairly well known (at least in the 80s) boy who contracted AIDS. He was getting national press for his battle to attend school which lead his family to relocate further into central Indiana. As fate would have it, my family relocated to the vicinity the same month. There was enough local coverage of his move that when someone at my new school saw my name on the registration they assumed I was him and the rumors spread very quickly.
I began attending school, already infamous, simply for sharing a name. We later found out a secretary had spread misinformation to the staff and PTA which lead to the belief that I was the young man with AIDS and thus, in full 80’s panic, was a danger to the student body. A petition was quickly circulated to keep me out of the school.
Eventually, the truth was sorted out, but the target was already painted on my back. For some reason, other children constantly tormented me over my name. I was pushed, kicked, shoved, punched, pushed off playground equipment, struck with baseball bats. I was brutalized for three years, the school did nothing other than tell my parents I was instigating the incidents and that I reveled in the attention. Years later my parents told me bricks were thrown through our front windows and one of the family cars was vandalized very early in this terrorzing.
Eventually we moved again, this time far west and for a moment I was free. Then the famous boy died and his funeral was nationally televised. People took note of my name and I was again bullied, not so much physically but there was endless teasing. My mother thought contacting the local paper would help so I ended up in a large article detailing my plight on the front page of the Metro section. This as you might guess, did not help. The spectre of the name could not be escaped.
We moved yet again and I was able to finally distance myself from the name for a time. It still came up occasionally.

In 1999, while suffering from what we’re now identifying as mental health issues I ended up selling my childhood collection for pennies. Shortly after I had some terrible life stuff happen and I tried to kill myself. Maybe because I didn’t have my refuge anymore? I’ll probably never know for sure but my doctors and therapist think it’s possible as they’ve pretty much determined that I’ve been suffering from depression for most of my adult life. I mean, I always hated myself but I genuinely thought that was normal.
Oh, and the check the store wrote me bounced. I was never able to get paid back on that.

I briefly dipped into the 200X line but they were hard to find and I ended up selling them fairly soon after the line died. Aside from the occasional Big Lots or Thinkgeek score, I didn’t touch Classics, I was convinced I couldn’t afford them and sold them soon after. Most of my collecting energies went towards books and Transformers, for some reason I never felt guilty about those things.
In 2018 I got married, got a new job and bought a house. I posted frequently about my collecting at this time. In fall of 2019, I went on a road trip to Kokomo toys with a friend and while browsing I saw Sy-Klone in a display case and it just screamed at me. So I bought it. And then the ravenous purchasing you all witnessed thereafter.

So that’s a lot to read but typing this stuff out has been helpful. Now here’s why I typed all that out.

One of my concerns we’ve been addressing in therapy is that I made all these impulse purchases as retail therapy instead of dealing with my pain in a healthy manner. But in the deep dive into my past and trauma, we’ve figured out quite a bit.

I’ve long been worried that I’m a bad person. I have a history of behaviors and actions that would lean to that conclusion. So we’ve been doing a lot of exercises involving morality, moral codes, ethics etc. Who taught me how to be a person? Where did I learn right from wrong?

He–Man.

At the end of every episode there was a moral to the story, parable or life lesson. We found some compilations on Youtube and they line up with what I’ve always held as my personal belief system. Some of them are silly and hokey but to an 8 year old it all made sense. Since that session I’ve been rewatching the entire series and it’s definitely evoking some memories and feelings. It’s wild what can trigger vivid childhood memories.
So is the massive He-Man collection a bad thing? Was this all the result of unhealthy purchasing whilst trying to find happiness in material things? My therapist says no. So long as it hasn’t become a financial burden, there’s nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with things you enjoy.
And holy poo poo do I enjoy these things again. In the weeks since my breakthrough I’ve fully realized how much I love this stuff again. I’ve built this fantastic new collection and every time I walk through the toy room I feel good. The only thing I found refuge in as a child was MOTU and while I have a fantastic support system as an adult, I love having these things back in my life. The connection I have rediscovered to this franchise is helping me deal with a lot of the pain I’ve had walled up for so long.
The timing has been pretty fantastic as well, with the new lines that are currently available. This isn't by any means the cure to all that ails me, but it's given me a new version of the safe fantasy world I took refuge in as a child.

Yeah, lots of rambling. I'll probably ramble on some more later.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
drat Rhyno it's truly heartwarming to read how post-breakthrough you've found true joy with such a simple collection of plastic toys and that He-Man specifically was so strong in forming your moral center. Part of what makes collecting a joy are not only the memories they bring you but the fun in sharing the joy with others.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fuzz posted:

I dunno, like $15 shipped? I will have to get my MCU Mls together after the holidays and take some pics, but if you want a bunch of them, I'll sell em to you cheap.

Off the top of my head I know I have:

Civil War Black Panther
Black Panther wave Black Panther (unsure if it's the m'Baku or Okoye one, I wanna say Okoye)
2-pack Agent Ross and Kilmonger
Solo Kilmonger in the BP suit from whichever wave that was
M'Baku wave Kilmonger in the fatigues
GotG1 Star Lord with the long jacket
GotG1 Rocket
GotG2 Star Lord solo release with the short jacket
GotG2 Rocket
GotG2 Ego
GotG2 Toy's R Us Groot (the one with the baby and the plant)
GotG1 Groot BAF
Civil War Iron-Man/Cap/Spidey 3 pack
A bunch of Ant-Man parts
Netflix Luke Cage and Claire Temple 2 pack

I forget what else. A lot of them are still in the box new, a bunch or loose. Will have to go track down what is what.

Oh yeah and I have some Fox X-Men figures I'm gonna offload too... Magneto, the Wolverines, and the Comic Con exclusives probably, I need to do an inventory. For awhile I was just grabbing MLs left and right as they came out if they even slightly struck my fancy because of how quickly they were selling out, and now I just have all this stuff and it needs to go.

There's a few here I want. Unfortunately I need to wait til I come into more funds. Is that alright?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm kinda surprised it wasn't Superman, given your fascination with him, as well. But this doesn't surprise me. I'm glad therapy is working for you. I know lots of people have trouble finding one they like and simply decide it doesn't work for them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm kinda surprised it wasn't Superman, given your fascination with him, as well. But this doesn't surprise me. I'm glad therapy is working for you. I know lots of people have trouble finding one they like and simply decide it doesn't work for them.

Superman came along much later and definitely played a part. There's also a large presence of Doctor Who thanks to PBS and my mother.

That's three pretty good role models I think. Now I just have to decide which portions of what work best together as the foundation of a functional adult.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endless Mike posted:

I know lots of people have trouble finding one they like and simply decide it doesn't work for them.
therapy does not work for everyone, my dude.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

There's a few here I want. Unfortunately I need to wait til I come into more funds. Is that alright?

That's perfect, because I've got 2 toddlers and 90% of my collection is 20 miles away in crates in my parents' basement, and coordinating some way to actually go do inventory and poo poo is gonna be.... A Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

therapy does not work for everyone, my dude.

This is true.

I spent the last 20 years thinking I didn't need help or was too embarrassed to ask for it. I was ghosted by multiple therapist prior to finding my current one. And while it may not work for everyone it is worth it to everyone to find out if it's a workable solution for you.