Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tbf I've definitely seen them fail to get the answer before when it's been possible.

e: 84 is 1x12+72

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought the whole point of watching countdown was to watch carol vorderman do very fast arithmetic.

which as somebody who cannot do any maths or arithemetic is basically like watching someone do backflips.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

She has a third-class degree in Engineering* from Cambridge, and is probably very good at maths relatively.

What I'm talking about is I doubt she would be making the maths part of the show herself? I mean it's not like Chris Tarrant was putting all those trivia questions together, they have staff for that kinda thing.

Rumour has it[1] that both Vorderman and Riley do *most* of the numbers quizzes themselves (but do get longer to think about it than the contestants) but the production staff also work on them and can give them a solution through their earpiece if they can't crack it.

[1] My absolutely unimpeachable source for this is a mate of mine who was apparently an "octochamp" on the show and I refuse to ask him about what that means - or even look it up - in case he starts loving talking about it again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the whole point of watching countdown was to watch carol vorderman do very fast arithmetic.
It's to see if the letters she pulls out of the boxes accidentally spell something rude

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Aren't you literally more qualified to do riley's job than she is lmao

LOL probably but I'm not much of a 'babe'. Mind you neither was Carol Vorderman when she started out before all her plastic surgery.

ThomasPaine posted:

I guess they have to do the sums on the board quite rapidly which is probably a solid 100% of 'being good at maths' to most of the country

PhD maths theses are just 100k words of increasingly complex sums with all the working

More than a few people think a PhD in maths is just learning your 3457 times table or something because almost noone outside academia even knows what a PhD is.

Ed: also I think there's a difference between being good at maths generally and being able to do mental arithmetic quickly unless you practice it frequently.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 21, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've always thought all gameshows are way more fake than the editing makes them look, so I'm probably biased.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I've always thought that for the numbers round they must feed it into a computer program and get an answer. Couldn't be that hard to program something to try a load of different combinations of numbers and operands, right?

E: Just found a countdown numbers round solver: http://www.maths-resources.com/countdown/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw a brief moment of a gameshow recently and everybody was sitting in a big circle and the entire loving room spins around. Thought I was having an episode, I thought "everyone plays giant penny falls" was bad but I am starting to think "there is an SCP under the channel 4 building and it needs to be fed a constant stream of gimmicky gameshow sets or it will destroy the world"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I saw a brief moment of a gameshow recently and everybody was sitting in a big circle and the entire loving room spins around. Thought I was having an episode, I thought "everyone plays giant penny falls" was bad but I am starting to think "there is an SCP under the channel 4 building and it needs to be fed a constant stream of gimmicky gameshow sets or it will destroy the world"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Christmas help line numbers:

Helplines

During the Christmas season, if you're feeling upset or down, please reach out to friends and family. If need be, you can contact a number of mental health organisations who can help.

Emergency - Call 999 - Emergency services will attend psychiatric situations that are emergencies such as suspected suicide attempts.

Urgent - Call 111 - The number to call if you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency, or you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service

Samaritans - Call 116 123 - Whatever you're going through, a Samaritan will face it with you. They are listening 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call if you want to talk to someone in confidence.

Shout - Text SHOUT to 85258 - The UK’s first free 24/7 text service for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. It’s a place to go if you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Oh god, I know I'm necroposting but it pisses me off how this photo is so obviously staged. Why? I mean, is it just because they don't actually ever do anything resembling work and are just faking it?

Literally nobody has a coffee machine with *a pristine pack of coffee* next to it like that.

At half height, where you have to bend down to use it. With only a single mug next to it (so you have to get a new mug from the kitchen...and then walk into the lounge to make your coffee.. and then walk back to the fridge for milk and sugar???)

In an upholstered sitting room where the slightest bit of mess (loving impossible to avoid when you empty the grounds... to where? I don't see a bin...) means you'll be forever staining some furniture.

It smacks of someone going "oh she's wearing a red dress we need an accent colour in the background OH I KNOW THE COFFEE CUP AND THE PACK OF COFFEE WE HAVE IN THE CUPBOARD" "but why would we have a pack of coffee in the sitting room?" "GILES, DON'T QUESTION ME. GET THE COFFEE MACHINE, YOU IMBECILE!"

Also what the gently caress is that power cord. And if she was actually on an important call, she'd be on speaker in a conference room with aides taking minutes.

It's the most pointless, nitpicky thing for me to get mad about, but I'm pretty sure 2021 has driven me mildly round the bend.

I guess real conference rooms with one of the fluorescents out, a dirty whiteboard and finger marks on the one 720p TV from the late 00s aren't photogenic enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still enjoy that she plugged her electric photo of her at the dulux factory into her coffee machine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

More than a few people think a PhD in maths is just learning your 3457 times table or something because almost noone outside academia even knows what a PhD is.

Also the wise man knows that you should never ask a PhD about their thesis, because they will tell you.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

"everyone plays giant penny falls"

Ha, my brother's partner went on that, and The Chase. She didn't win on either of them.

I always thought that "Tipping Point" was a particularly poo poo concept for a quiz show.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also still enjoy that the enormous skirting board makes it look like she is in the corner of a 50 foot tall, 500 foot wide room.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

WhatEvil posted:

Ha, my brother's partner went on that, and The Chase. She didn't win on either of them.

I always thought that "Tipping Point" was a particularly poo poo concept for a quiz show.

I always wanted to be on Supermarket Sweep.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've seen the new Ant and Dec one advertised where there's apparently no cap on the amount you can win? Which seems insane and probably isn't true but I'd love it if some smug fucker bankrupted ITV in the first episode.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

stev posted:

I've seen the new Ant and Dec one advertised where there's apparently no cap on the amount you can win? Which seems insane and probably isn't true but I'd love it if some smug fucker bankrupted ITV in the first episode.

Furiously shovelling the entire gift card stand, electronics and booze aisle into my trolley.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

stev posted:

Hmm. Supermarket Sweep...good. Ant and Dec...bad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's no cap, but it's a 2021 supermarket so there's no produce either.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/1473055667816706051

Orders sent from the true rulers of the country.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"Grave consequences"... lol.... get it?....

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jedit posted:

Also the wise man knows that you should never ask a PhD about their thesis, because they will tell you.

:wrong:

Never, ever ask anyone about their thesis beyond the very general topic because I guarantee that they do not want to talk about it when they're off the clock.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I gave up telling people what I was studying when I was about 18 and had a summer job in a care home.

Q from normal everyday person: "What do you study at college"?
Me: "Theoretical physics"
NEP: "Oh. Is that PE" or sometimes "Oh. Are you going to be a physician?"

After a few responses like that I just said "science". That was more than enough for most people and usually met with a chorus of "Oh I wasn't any good at science at school".
If they wanted to know more, I'd tell them more.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Tipping Point is the platonic ideal of a teatime game show and I will fight anyone claiming otherwise. You have questions easy enough for everyone to play along at home, a couple of quiz variants, and a non-quiz factor that is both random and skill-based so successes can be congratulated but failures put down to bad luck, and with *just enough* suspense, all with a sympathetic host. The Chase also has most of those too but doesn't have the coin drop machine of the gods or a host that might have been in the ICF, so isn't as good.

Also coin drop machines are awesome (apart from the ones with the tilt sensors "accidentally" set up too sensitive so if you win big the vibration is enough to set them off and deny you your winnings and yes I *am* still bitter about something that happened in an arcade on a wet afternoon in Polperro almost 4 decades ago).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What that tells me is that you are eminently qualified to fight off an alien invasion and then overthrow the government of earth.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/dpmcbride/status/1472989335117090825

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Brendan Rodgers posted:

me too i used to watch it and go into school late, i argued that i was only missing registration and assembly so idgaf

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tipping Point is the platonic ideal of a teatime game show and I will fight anyone claiming otherwise. You have questions easy enough for everyone to play along at home, a couple of quiz variants, and a non-quiz factor that is both random and skill-based so successes can be congratulated but failures put down to bad luck, and with *just enough* suspense, all with a sympathetic host. The Chase also has most of those too but doesn't have the coin drop machine of the gods or a host that might have been in the ICF, so isn't as good.

Also coin drop machines are awesome (apart from the ones with the tilt sensors "accidentally" set up too sensitive so if you win big the vibration is enough to set them off and deny you your winnings and yes I *am* still bitter about something that happened in an arcade on a wet afternoon in Polperro almost 4 decades ago).

the questions on tipping point feel insanely easy compared to most other quiz shows, I even get most of the sport/music ones which is astounding

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i always wonder if that ben shepherds bloke invented that terminology he uses to describe in detail the behaviour of coins in a coin pusher machine or if it already existed thanks to a coin pusher machine enthusiast community

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

you know they exist

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

Random bit of trivia but game show cash prizes used to be capped at £1,000 for obscure reasons (some claim tax, others gambling laws, and others still just to irritate Hughie Green whose Double Your Money, the very first game show on TV, originally had a top prize of £1,024 - an impressive amount in an era when a new house cost about £1500). That limit only rose to £3,000 by the 80s despite inflation, and is why most game shows had non-cash prizes (to the intense annoyance to all the tower block residents who won speedboats on Bullseye).

In a particularly odd coincidence that limit was finally raised by the IBA because ITV wanted to import a gameshow - the same one Hughie Green had ripped off way back in the 50s - from the US, one so famous that it's name had entered the vernacular on both sides of the Atlantic. The IBA were unwilling to up it as far as ITV wanted but were willing to compromise, so ITV's new big Saturday night game show (remember them) was *called* The $64,000 Question... but had a top prize of £6,400, the new maximum amount the IBA allowed.

Ironically after the ITC just went "gently caress it who cares?" about prize money - and everything else - when they took over from the IBA and allowed unlimited prize money, the first person to win £64,000 on British television was actually on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, which is basically Double Your Money but easier (only one question per level) because there's only been like 7 original television shows ever made.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I always feel like any quiz show where the 'winner' can walk away with nothing is pretty bullshit. They've travelled down from Leeds, at least bung them a grand.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

What that tells me is that you are eminently qualified to fight off an alien invasion and then overthrow the government of earth.

Well I'm pretty good at coining but I'm not seeing the connection unless aliens are vulnerable to cheap keyrings and happen to invade Southend?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

you know they exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eln0eADCars

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That was technically aimed at Jaeluni because it is a Half Life (videogame) reference, as the main character is a theoretical physicist and also singlehandedly the most competent gunfighter in the universe.

But I also suspect you would probably be quite good at an alien invasion also.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

That was technically aimed at Jaeluni because it is a Half Life (videogame) reference, as the main character is a theoretical physicist and also singlehandedly the most competent gunfighter in the universe.

But I also suspect you would probably be quite good at an alien invasion also.

I don't know about gunfighting, but I was always pretty good with a bow and arrow on those daft management outward bound course things 'team building' doncha just love it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I gave up telling people what I was studying when I was about 18 and had a summer job in a care home.

Q from normal everyday person: "What do you study at college"?
Me: "Theoretical physics"
NEP: "Oh. Is that PE" or sometimes "Oh. Are you going to be a physician?"

After a few responses like that I just said "science". That was more than enough for most people and usually met with a chorus of "Oh I wasn't any good at science at school".
If they wanted to know more, I'd tell them more.

Being vague is good. When I graduated one guy was being made a Master of Science which sounded like pretty much the best thing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oh also Deal Or No Deal will never be bettered or worsened in the game show stakes. Noel fully believing in everyone's mad systems made it absolutely incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't know about gunfighting, but I was always pretty good with a bow and arrow on those daft management outward bound course things 'team building' doncha just love it.

Now I think about it the annual "Let the urchins see a tree" trips that East End schools send their kids to at Gorsefield are actually guerilla warfare training - I was really good at orienteering and archery, but always bottled it on the climbing and abseiling, so I may not be much use come the time.