Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Takes No Damage posted:

Company Zoom holiday party was yesterday afternoon.

On paid, company time?

Because if someone asked me to come to a company “zoom party” on my own time, I would laugh directly into their stupid, stupid face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That happened to me in my college apartment and maintenance wouldn't fix it until the following Monday. Being poor and an rear end in a top hat I frisbee'd that fucker into the parking lot and then just told them I never had one when they showed up.

This is how its done. If they drag rear end you report to the housing commission and they get fined too.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
What the hell is wrong with unplugging the drat thing until you or someone else replaces the battery?? I guess if your too lazy to replace the battery, you are also too lazy to turn it off.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MrYenko posted:

On paid, company time?

Because if someone asked me to come to a company “zoom party” on my own time, I would laugh directly into their stupid, stupid face.

My job I had during the early pandemic was trying really hard to get every team to do these after-hours Zoom Socials either every day or once a week (depending on the team) where after the day ended a bunch of my colleagues would get together in their own homes in front of the desk they just sat at for 8 hours, ignore their families, and drink while talking to each other. They made a big stink about how it was for everyones "mental health" because we were all cut off during the pandemic and needed more social interaction, so if you didn't attend they would act like that meant you were hopelessly depressed and that meant they needed to check in on you more throughout the day. It was the most dystopian hellscape work environment I have ever been a part of.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 19, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My boss is anti vax, anti mask, but does toe the company line by telling us we need to wear masks, but never enforces it. Or wears one herself.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i have an old rear end house, where the shower steam would set off the alarm, and the kitchen hood just recirculated air into the space, instead of actual exhaust.

i live on the edge with no smoke detectors whatsoever.

maybe you'll see me on the news someday.

At least until I can afford to get an exhaust fan for the bath room and a legit exhaust system for the kitchen.

you only live once.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

blight rhino posted:

i have an old rear end house, where the shower steam would set off the alarm, and the kitchen hood just recirculated air into the space, instead of actual exhaust.

i live on the edge with no smoke detectors whatsoever.

maybe you'll see me on the news someday.

At least until I can afford to get an exhaust fan for the bath room and a legit exhaust system for the kitchen.

you only live once.

Do you at least have a Carbon Monoxide detector?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Usually the ones that steam sets off are photoelectric; try an ionization type, they’re usually not triggered by steam. They’re not quite as sensitive to small smoldering fires, but they’re better than nothing at all.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

TheSpartacus posted:

What the hell is wrong with unplugging the drat thing until you or someone else replaces the battery?? I guess if your too lazy to replace the battery, you are also too lazy to turn it off.

I don’t think I’ve seen a smoke detector with an off switch. The ones I’ve had that do plug in will still beep at you if you unplug them. They have an internal battery to annoy you until the main backup battery is replaced.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

On paid, company time?

Yeah they at least did that right. If they scheduled something like that on a weekend or something it would get literally 0 attendance.

deep dish peat moss posted:

My job I had during the early pandemic was trying really hard to get every team to do these after-hours Zoom Socials either every day or once a week (depending on the team) where after the day ended a bunch of my colleagues would get together in their own homes in front of the desk they just sat at for 8 hours, ignore their families, and drink while talking to each other. They made a big stink about how it was for everyones "mental health" because we were all cut off during the pandemic and needed more social interaction, so if you didn't attend they would act like that meant you were hopelessly depressed and that meant they needed to check in on you more throughout the day. It was the most dystopian hellscape work environment I have ever been a part of.

We do this too, but it is also during most people's regular days so basically a paid break. They always happen before my shift begins and I've skipped every one for a year+ and nobody seems to mind.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen a smoke detector with an off switch. The ones I’ve had that do plug in will still beep at you if you unplug them. They have an internal battery to annoy you until the main backup battery is replaced.

Is this a regional/USA thing? Here 90% of smoke detectors just have a 9v battery. There are some that actually plug in to power but I've only seen those in apartments, most homes don't bother running power plugs to the smoke detector locations in the ceiling. I bet the plugs aren't even standard so it would depend on what kind you buy.

But yeah rhino at least keep one in a corner in your bedroom or something. Hopefully you'd just notice if you were cooking something and the kitchen caught on fire...

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

blight rhino posted:

At least in my country its usually the new houses that have recirculation hoods, because of better heat isolation without the exhaust. An actual exhaust is better for air quality though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Takes No Damage posted:

Is this a regional/USA thing? Here 90% of smoke detectors just have a 9v battery.

In Australia we're moving over to totally sealed units with a 10 year battery. You pull the tab out to activate it and write the date on the side.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Takes No Damage posted:

Is this a regional/USA thing? Here 90% of smoke detectors just have a 9v battery.

In the US, older homes(pre-‘80’s) still use the battery-only type, because smoke alarms either weren’t invented yet or weren’t ubiquitous, newer construction has them hard-wired into the ceiling. I remember when they first became a thing, they required this fiendishly expensive large round mercury battery that was like $12 in 1978 and only lasted a year.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

TheSpartacus posted:

Er....that's counter to how the whole idea of having an alarm works. If you put it aside to handle at a more convenient time, you may as well just not have an alarm. Because you can't...plan for when you need an alarm, it's an emergency device, it has to be on all the time to be useful. What if a fire occurs while it's unplugged? The whole idea is it exists to be vigilant to save your life, without that it's just a lump of plastic.

Jfc I know that there are people who just leave their fire alarms unplugged, but that is some nightmare fuel poo poo for us folks who live in apartment complexes. You have a responsibility to alert people of a potential fire not just for you, but for the people who live around you. Just keep some double fuckin' As around (this is what most consumer fire alarms take now to make it easier on folks, so no it's not even a weird-rear end 9v anymore unless it's old AF, and if it's that old it's time for a new one and they cost like $30-40 so there really is no excuse).

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 20, 2021

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Jfc I know that there are people who just leave their fire alarms unplugged, but that is some nightmare fuel poo poo for us folks who live in apartment complexes. You have a responsibility to alert people of a potential fire not just for you, but for the people who live around you.

I think we've seen over the past two years that people don't really give a poo poo about other people around them.

We just went through our house that we bought 5 years ago and checked the fire alarms that were already here. Of the 4 of them, not a single one works. And they didn't beep either, which means the probably haven't worked since we bought the place.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I think it's less people don't give a poo poo about others (although that is part of it), as much as most people seem to exist in this hubris that the bad thing couldn't possibly happen to them or that their risk-taking is well-considered and balanced and not a risk (lol). Bad things happen to other people, not to me. After all, I've survived this long! What's a little risk with the fire alarm not working, it's not like I'm going to actually set a fire, ha-ha! This is a provision for idiots, of which I am clearly not. So it should apply to them to protect me from them, but they obviously don't need protection from me.'

The assumption that it's just other people who are the problem is the strangest part of humanity. Everyone will gripe about hating people, and few will cop to being a people.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Cowslips Warren posted:

My boss is anti vax, anti mask, but does toe the company line by telling us we need to wear masks, but never enforces it. Or wears one herself.

Report him.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Armauk posted:

Report him.

A friend of mine did this then suddenly all his time off requests started not getting approved because lmao America and can you really prove it’s retaliation?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

A friend of mine did this then suddenly all his time off requests started not getting approved because lmao America and can you really prove it’s retaliation?

Do it anonymously

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol, if they're salary exempt PTO can't be refused if they just don't go in. it's part of your compensation so the employer either fires you for a no-call no-show or you get paid out of pto anyway.

They can't dock your compensation for absence, but they can force you to use PTO to cover it.

It's a power move for sure and could blow up in your friends face, IANAL.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The assumption that it's just other people who are the problem is the strangest part of humanity. Everyone will gripe about hating people, and few will cop to being a people.

Yeah the mentality of "it's someone else's problem" falls flat when you realize you're someone else to other people too

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

But yeah rhino at least keep one in a corner in your bedroom or something. Hopefully you'd just notice if you were cooking something and the kitchen caught on fire...

lol, that's fair. i do i have a CO detector, at least. And should probably look into them fancier smoke detectors.

It's impossible to use a cast iron for anything, without setting one off. well, searing, at least

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Our house has two CO detectors and an unknown number of smoke detectors. I think it's around 6 but I honestly don't know. Around half of them are installed with a functional battery and the others are scattered around in a 'I'll get round to that at some point' limbo. I think the system broadly works. Maybe I should have renters insurance. lol.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Outrail posted:

Maybe I should have renters insurance. lol.

The dumb poo poo is coming from within the thread

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

blight rhino posted:

It's impossible to use a cast iron for anything, without setting one off. well, searing, at least

Your kitchen should have a heat detector fire alarm, not a smoke alarm, and the other smoke alarms in the house are easily defeated by closing the kitchen door and opening a window.

Source: we only got round to putting a kitchen door on last year and it changed our lives

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Your kitchen should have a heat detector fire alarm, not a smoke alarm, and the other smoke alarms in the house are easily defeated by closing the kitchen door and opening a window.

Source: we only got round to putting a kitchen door on last year and it changed our lives

This is bad advice, and contrary to most fire codes. It's also not a thing that is commonly available as a standalone device, rather used as part of a full home wired system for very, very obvious reasons.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

This is bad advice, and contrary to most fire codes. It's also not a thing that is commonly available as a standalone device, rather used as part of a full home wired system for very, very obvious reasons.

Where do you live where code is not a heat detector in the kitchen? It’s certainly the standard here (Scotland) now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Where do you live where code is not a heat detector in the kitchen? It’s certainly the standard here (Scotland) now.

It's certainly not in the standard in the US, where I've spent decades in the fire service and in code enforcement.

In most jurisdictions here heat detectors don't count towards required fire detection. And that's for very good reason. By the time a heat trips the problem is already quite large and out of control.

They are only used where optical and ionizing detectors aren't practical, like in non-residential spaces where there is a lot of dust or smoke due to hot work.

But I suppose if it's allowed where you live it's better than nothing. I haven't found any issues with properly placed smokes in a kitchen that has proper ventilation.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 21, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Motronic posted:

But I suppose if it's allowed where you live it's better than nothing. I haven't found any issues with properly placed smokes in a kitchen that has proper ventilation.

It's not allowed, it's literally the law to have a heat alarm in your kitchen with interlinked smoke alarms elsewhere in the house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aramoro posted:

It's not allowed, it's literally the law to have a heat alarm in your kitchen with interlinked smoke alarms elsewhere in the house.

Let me guess.......you typically don't have hoods over your stoves/hobs, or they are ineffective. If so, this is a band aid in an age of central station alarms so the fire department aren't constantly responding to "smells and bells".

While I hope there is a better reason or even a justification in a wholistic approach you should know that unless you're talking to someone else in Scotland it's still probably bad advice in general.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

buddy you unironically refer to yourself as a ‘Visionary’, how the gently caress are you going to start ranting about non binary people ‘making things up’

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

VileLL posted:

buddy you unironically refer to yourself as a ‘Visionary’, how the gently caress are you going to start ranting about non binary people ‘making things up’

who in the hell are you talking about lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Think it is a vent post at someone they work with.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VileLL posted:

I feel like this is something that needs to get preserved before it's deleted/edited.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

zil may be right lol... just a random vent... it was pretty funny to randomly land in smoke alarm chat though... I had a chuckle

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Wendigee posted:

zil may be right lol... just a random vent... it was pretty funny to randomly land in smoke alarm chat though... I had a chuckle

It sure set off some alarms.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Just keep some double fuckin' As around (this is what most consumer fire alarms take now to make it easier on folks, so no it's not even a weird-rear end 9v anymore unless it's old AF, and if it's that old it's time for a new one and they cost like $30-40 so there really is no excuse).

Huh, that's good. I've always thought it was a crime that any modern electronics uses a 9V battery.
You could even take the batteries out of the TV remote if it's that critical a time.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

oh man sorry

yeah totally just a rant about a guy from work

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

VileLL posted:

oh man sorry

yeah totally just a rant about a guy from work

lol you're good it was pretty funny :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I got told I'm getting a larger than expected bonus this year because someone quit, and the bonus pot is split among the whole shop.

Our bonus structure is a tontine :psyduck: