Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

hello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bands that scratch the Black Breath itch plz. I love this loving band. I realize there’s lots of chainsaw bands but a portion of them are just so… extra. 🥺👉👈

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Bands that scratch the Black Breath itch plz. I love this loving band. I realize there’s lots of chainsaw bands but a portion of them are just so… extra. 🥺👉👈

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxKhj-Ja-28

A little melodic, reminds me a lot of dismember's first album. stay for the iron maiden style dual guitar interlude

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxKhj-Ja-28

A little melodic, reminds me a lot of dismember's first album. stay for the iron maiden style dual guitar interlude

This is good poo poo

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've definitely seen goons talk about Lik many times before, and I have no idea why I'm only listening to them now. This loving rips.

I also have a soft spot for Demonical when it comes to Swedeath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_IN_CR5SGM

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone watch the Metallica 40th anniversary show on Amazon prime last night? I’m always a sucker for their live shows, even if James’ voice is shot to hell and they’re barely a shell of what they used to be.

They played Fixxxer live for the first time ever I think and was pretty cool.

But I think the most hilarious thing is they didn’t play an encore for like maybe the first time in multiple decades? It was super awkward and jarring to have them just peace out. There’s another show on Sunday being streamed as well.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Hello Myrdod

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

https://youtu.be/mEL08yswx6o

https://youtu.be/4RfSyJrgsyM

For AotY, gently caress man, I didn’t listen to hardly any metal this year that wasn’t an old fav. New Khemmis was good, liked what I heard of the new Archspire, new First Fragment was a lot of fun, and that Steel Bearing Hand was good poo poo.

Surprised nobody’s mentioned the Crypt Sermon/Horrendous side gig, The Silver. Unless that was last year? Anyway, Ward of Roses is the album and it’s p. Good.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Nearly everything I liked this year was slam or brutal death and as much as I enjoyed it, I can't in good conscience pretend that it's not mostly the same.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

oh hey i just bought the cassette if that's you :3

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

oh haha, naw. I was just keen on that release.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Nearly everything I liked this year was slam or brutal death and as much as I enjoyed it, I can't in good conscience pretend that it's not mostly the same.

Hook me up with your list. Slam / Brutal Death was pretty much all I listened to this year as well, and I always like to compare lists with others, see if I missed out on anything cool.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
yeah i'd like to check that out too

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone watch the Metallica 40th anniversary show on Amazon prime last night? I’m always a sucker for their live shows, even if James’ voice is shot to hell and they’re barely a shell of what they used to be.

They played Fixxxer live for the first time ever I think and was pretty cool.

But I think the most hilarious thing is they didn’t play an encore for like maybe the first time in multiple decades? It was super awkward and jarring to have them just peace out. There’s another show on Sunday being streamed as well.

I've always thought Fixxxer was hugely underrated, glad to see it getting some love. Shame James's vocals aren't what they used to be - this song has a lot of potential live. I think the Load/Reload stuff suits them better these days. Maybe I'm partial, as I had those on cassette back in high school and have never hated them, and honestly sometimes even prefer them to some of the RtL/MoP stuff.

edit for video, just pretend it's like a video napster feed that I'm sharing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pomof-US2zg

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Unironically think early 90s Metallica vocs were probably the best ones, despite the other issues with that period of their output. I do sorta draw the line at Reload, but Load was one of the albums that cracked me open to heavy poo poo, so I can’t hate it for that. Puppets followed soon after and obviously teenaged me was like wtf is Load anyway, but adult me appreciates the gateway aspect, even if I’ve not listened to that poo poo in years.

What were your gateway bands, goons? That poo poo that made child you go hoooooooly gently caress I didn’t know music could get this heavy?

E: To answer my own loving question, Puppets made me realize metal existed, but Cowboys From Hell really destroyed me. The high vocs, the crushing Primal Concrete Sledge, and duh, the guitar antics that Dime laid down on that. gently caress. Chaos A.D. set me up for digging stuff with a punky edge, and Demanufacture was the first album I’d heard with legit frantic double bass. Weird to think on now cause I only really jam old Sep, and largely don’t listen to much Pantera, Metallica, or Fear Factory anymore.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 20, 2021

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

BurningBeard posted:

Unironically think early 90s Metallica vocs were probably the best ones, despite the other issues with that period of their output. I do sorta draw the line at Reload, but Load was one of the albums that cracked me open to heavy poo poo, so I can’t hate it for that. Puppets followed soon after and obviously teenaged me was like wtf is Load anyway, but adult me appreciates the gateway aspect, even if I’ve not listened to that poo poo in years.

What were your gateway bands, goons? That poo poo that made child you go hoooooooly gently caress I didn’t know music could get this heavy?

i was raised on nothing but country, oldies, & jimmy buffett until I was nearly a teenager

it's pretty lol to think about now, but man middle school me was absolutely blown the gently caress away by Metallica & Disturbed. then I learned about Satyricon, In Flames, and Children of Bodom within my first few months of high school and the rest is history

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
'Twas the autumn of 1988, I entered high school (yes I'm old, shut up). Randomly checked out this new tape from a band called "Metallica". Had a couple new classmates who were already into that stuff, so over the next few weeks I got to know Iron Maiden, Slayer, Testament and some others.

Next summer I borrowed an LP called "Blood Fire Death". That was pretty mindblowing at the time. (Hints of scary occultism and maybe some rumours of backwards-masked messages? Nuh uh; straight up Satan, y'all.)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Children of Bodom wasn’t my first but they definitely cemented my love of ~extreme~ metal and led me to so much

RIP Alexi hail the fins

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gateways are all over the place. I think White Zombie turned me onto heavy metal. Then a friend showing me Cannibal Corpse got me onto death vox. Cradle of Filth got me into more extreme music. And finally In Flames introduced me to Swedish death metal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vintersorg posted:

Gateways are all over the place. I think White Zombie turned me onto heavy metal. Then a friend showing me Cannibal Corpse got me onto death vox. Cradle of Filth got me into more extreme music. And finally In Flames introduced me to Swedish death metal.

Honestly yeah I bounced around all these too while getting my footing in metal.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My gateways were the Edward the Great Iron Maiden compilation and Rust in Peace. From there I got pretty heavily into Bodom and Sonata Arctica, and then a kid on my bus told me to limewire Bathory and Dissection. I then spent all of highschool obsessed with melodeath and meloblack, and I guess still am.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pretty sure I've explained my pathway several times here, but:

Childhood: My neighbor would always play Rob/White Zombie and 90s Metallica. I was scared of the samples in Rob Zombie songs but I liked the music.
Age 11-12: Got into hard rock like Led Zeppelin
Age 12-13: Discovered Master of Puppets and it blew my mind apart
Age 13-14: Got into Atheist and Death

The rest is history. I think Demilich was the final frontier in terms of harsh vocals.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd think past a certain point Slipknot are probably a big time gateway

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’ve talked about how Metallica was huge to me in middle school, but years later I think it was anime music videos that got me into the Finnish symphonic metal I love now. I wish I could remember the specifics, but there was like a Nightwish/phantom of the opera anime video that was the catalyst. Wow, that is super dorky lol. Then I stumbled upon the Beauty and the Beast duet Tarja did with Tony Kakko and I’ve been in love with Tony ever since :)
Later on, Wintersun became a huge gateway for me because I found the harsh vocals very primal and beautiful and now I love melodeath.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The actual most formative music document to me is VH1’s 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock. Dunno when I would’ve gotten into 90s alt stuff and beyond without it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Those VH1 top 100 shows were always a fun watch, and Scott Ian clearly had nothing better to do any time they filmed one

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

my older brother got into metallica, pantera, and megadeth so that was my intro to metal

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Nazzadan posted:

Those VH1 top 100 shows were always a fun watch, and Scott Ian clearly had nothing better to do any time they filmed one

I've watched way too many music docs/countdown lists, and I'm pretty sure I've seen Scott Ian and Dave Grohl more than some of my own family because of it.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

i just assumed they filmed a bunch of them all at once, kinda like how they'll film a month of a game show in a day or w/e

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Scott Ian just loved being on VH1 for some reason. Remember Supergroup?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Yeah, that reason being a huge loving paycheck.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think the first time i was like oh i wanna hear harsh vocals and screaming and heavy stuff was when I saw the BYOB video lmao. Then I went to the cd store and bought Ghost Reveries and Master of Puppets and my fate was kind of sealed

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd think past a certain point Slipknot are probably a big time gateway

Guilty as charged. :v: Hearing "Duality" in a Youtube video circa 2009 blew my mind, and after getting into Maiden and Metallica, I got my hands on a copy of Ian Christe's Sound of the Beast in 9th grade and that was that.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I can trace my general interest in heavy music to an older cousin giving me her cassingle of Ministry's "Jesus Built my Hotrod" and making my mom really mad

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I have two older brothers, so I was fed Helloween, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath/Ozzy, DIO and so forth growing up in the late 80s/early 90s. Then my brother started listening to Gorefest and Cannibal Corpse and I followed. In our small town in Norway there was a record store that had WAY more metal than a small record store in the countryside should reasonably be expected to have, and I got into Satyricon, Isengard, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Vintersorg and so forth via that store and have just kind of kept listening to metal all my life.

That said: looking for suggestions for trad/heavy/"conan" metal. I've been listening to a lot of trad lately, but am looking for more. I really like the early Manowar albums, think pre-Fighting the world. And I've been listening A LOT to Eternal Champion, Sumerlands, Dexter Ward, Ironflame, Warlord, Visigoth, Megaton Sword and that style of metal. Anybody have any suggestions? Not talking european style power metal like Gamma Ray/Helloween, but more the American type. Also, I tried getting into Cirith Ungol, I just couldn't get used to the vocals.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
How about the first few Omen albums?

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Groke posted:

How about the first few Omen albums?

Oh, good suggestions! I already had "Battle Cry" saved in Spotify, but they have more, of course!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Have you listened to Smoulder?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Spirit Adrift are pretty good. If nothing else, the riff in "Astral Levitation" makes me wanna wrestle a dump truck.

I'll try to dig up more recs when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Have you listened to Smoulder?

I have, and they are awesome!

Nordick posted:

Spirit Adrift are pretty good. If nothing else, the riff in "Astral Levitation" makes me wanna wrestle a dump truck.

I'll try to dig up more recs when I get home.

Just barely listened to them - will check out later today!