Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

I wasn't really rushing for a booster but now I'm stuck and will grab booster + flu Wednesday. Its best to mix and match right so I'm slightly better off with the Pfizer if I got the Moderna initially? Not that it matters, Pfizer is locked in and hopefully I'm good for Christmas Eve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

Current event: I took another look at how much a new graphics card costs and I guess my 1080TI is still fine.

I have made 30-series Nvida card hunting a recent househusband hobby. GPU Megathread in SHSC has been helpful in explaining to me that IT IS A BLEAK AND BARREN WASTELAND THERE ARE NO CARDS FOREVER MORE.

I'm borrowing my mother-in-law's BestBuy Total Tech membership to get stock notification and preferential treatment. Might make a trip out of going to the Microcenter that's 6 hours away, one day.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Loucks posted:

The amazing thing about that post is how many people latched onto it as evidence of goon insanity rather than recognizing an obvious fakepost.

How can an 07 actually think this? A goon loving baked himself to death. Another lost an arm to equal stupidity. Another tried to kill children with the world's most dangerous zipline. A goon was poked in the face by a robot controlled by the internet.

There are no fakeposts. Only posts that haven't come true yet.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Godholio posted:

How can an 07 actually think this? A goon loving baked himself to death. Another lost an arm to equal stupidity. Another tried to kill children with the world's most dangerous zipline. A goon was poked in the face by a robot controlled by the internet.

puckins murdering spree after asking somethingawful for the proper home defense buckshot loads

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That too.

mlmp08 posted:

Current event: I took another look at how much a new graphics card costs and I guess my 1080TI is still fine.

This is the loving truth. Jesus Christ. A new card costs more than my last two complete builds combined.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah, I could buy a car for what a new card is worth. And just quietly, I'd take a half-dozen Mondeos over a 3080.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I remember buying a 3070 for msrp I saw on a microcenter shelf for my buddy because I was waiting for a 3060ti. I should have just ate the extra $150 back then and bought it for myself because I ended up paying the same amount for a basic 3060 6 months later from a scalper.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
EVGA was running a sign up list and while the wait times can be extremely long - 9 months in once case I heard about - they only charge rrp, which is pretty dope.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought a 3070 for $575 after months of waking up at 3am trying to do stock tracker bullshit. Almost a year later and I'd STILL be insanely lucky to get another one for that price. Absolutely nuts.

not caring here posted:

EVGA was running a sign up list and while the wait times can be extremely long - 9 months in once case I heard about - they only charge rrp, which is pretty dope.

I signed up for a 3080 XC3 in Sep 2020 and I'm pretty sure that list hasn't moved by a single person since then. Apparently I should've signed up for more than one list because EVGA just didn't bother to make any more of anything but the most expensive cards.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

not caring here posted:

Yeah I signed up in March to grab one for my Brother and just got an email last week telling me it was my turn to buy one.

He already got one so I bought it for another friend who's in need. Still, this poo poo sucks.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, my brother picked a very vanilla 30xx something and got his in 3 months.

If you picked a version that everyone wanted, then you aren't gonna have a good wait, even without a truckload of them getting jacked earlier this year.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't remember if this was posted but relevant

https://twitter.com/ThyArtIsMemes2/status/1471877711761182725

E: oh the crypto bro bragging about his racks of hundreds of 3070s deleted

Eej fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 21, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eej posted:

Don't remember if this was posted but relevant

https://twitter.com/ThyArtIsMemes2/status/1471877711761182725

The tweet linked in the tweet is already gone.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Cryptobro also got repeatedly doxxed. Who knows, maybe there'll be a sudden surge of cards on the market. :v:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Zamujasa posted:

Cryptobro also got repeatedly doxxed. Who knows, maybe there'll be a sudden surge of cards on the market. :v:
If Cryptobro used them instead of hoarding them, they might not be in decent shape to run your games.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Is the graphics card issue still just crypto tulip mania? I really wish countries would crack down on that poo poo. I wonder how much money the graphics card companies are behind the scenes tossing money at crypto evangelists to keep demand through the roof.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's both. Superconductor shortage and crypto snapping up whatever manages to get into stores

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

lightpole posted:

I wasn't really rushing for a booster but now I'm stuck and will grab booster + flu Wednesday. Its best to mix and match right so I'm slightly better off with the Pfizer if I got the Moderna initially? Not that it matters, Pfizer is locked in and hopefully I'm good for Christmas Eve.

Getting a pfizer/moderna booster in you is the most important part. There's not really any good longitudinal studies definitively answering which is better, and in what order. But there're enough papers out there showing a dramatic improvement of boosters over unboosted with a full 2-shot series.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bell_ posted:

If Cryptobro used them instead of hoarding them, they might not be in decent shape to run your games.

Ehh.... I think I could refurb a card with a 1000 mining hours on it. Like old dude seemed like he was bragging hard after completing a project and this whole doxing thing happened like in the last week. It would be like picking up a project car from an impound lot.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Bell_ posted:

Oh, absolutely. Anything a crypto nut has touched might as well be radioactive since it'll either be dead or on its way out.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Is the graphics card issue still just crypto tulip mania? I really wish countries would crack down on that poo poo.

One can only loving hope.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

mlmp08 posted:

Ahaha I checked at the price of a 1080Ti used on eBay and just lmao

My 2018 plan of "buy a used 1070 and use it for a couple years until the 3000s come out and drop in price a bit" is aging poorly

Bell_ posted:

Don't crypto miners typically undervolt to maximize performance per watt?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Discussion Quorum posted:

Ahaha I checked at the price of a 1080Ti used on eBay and just lmao

I picked up a couple off a miner for $300 each a few years ago. Then I sold them for $450 per last winter I think after I got a 3070. I was trying to get a 3080 or 3090 for the longest time but couldn't and ended up grabbing a 3080ti from a coworker. It's all dumb.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Godholio posted:

The most portentous post for the future we were doomed to inherit was the "gently caress this guy for the legislative response" guy. It really was a sign of the things to come. Selfish, flippant and cruel. I hope they got banned

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Tiny Timbs posted:

I bought a 3070 for $575 after months of waking up at 3am trying to do stock tracker bullshit. Almost a year later and I'd STILL be insanely lucky to get another one for that price. Absolutely nuts.

I signed up for a 3080 XC3 in Sep 2020 and I'm pretty sure that list hasn't moved by a single person since then. Apparently I should've signed up for more than one list because EVGA just didn't bother to make any more of anything but the most expensive cards.

I was able to get a 3090 back in July after over a year in the queue

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Godholio posted:

How can an 07 actually think this? A goon loving baked himself to death. Another lost an arm to equal stupidity.

Ok I keep thinking about these because I was clearly out of the loop when they happened. Who and when?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ok I keep thinking about these because I was clearly out of the loop when they happened. Who and when?

late night goon lore. I think those two in particular are TCC stories. I forget the names and the specifics but can corroborate that it is a story that does exist.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

KirbyKhan posted:

TCC stories

ahhhhh

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

One took a bunch of some kind of opiate and passed out in his car in like 110° heat

His wife/gf then tried to defraud the insurance company lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KirbyKhan posted:

I have made 30-series Nvida card hunting a recent househusband hobby. GPU Megathread in SHSC has been helpful in explaining to me that IT IS A BLEAK AND BARREN WASTELAND THERE ARE NO CARDS FOREVER MORE.

I'm borrowing my mother-in-law's BestBuy Total Tech membership to get stock notification and preferential treatment. Might make a trip out of going to the Microcenter that's 6 hours away, one day.

Yeah easiest way to get a 30x series is in a laptop, unfortunately.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Only the big prebuilt manufacturers have enough clout to easily get orders for new graphics cards, and even then it's still somewhat a struggle for desktop 3XXX cards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Terrifying Effigies posted:

gently caress Tree of Heaven, not only invasive but smells like rear end to boot.

It’s literally “foul-smelling tree” in Chinese.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Should be in FYAD criterion

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

My 1080 started to poo poo the bed in my 3+ yo build so I grabbed a prebuilt from microcenter with an AMD 6700 XT and a Ryzen 5 5600X for $1500 and never looked back. Hopefully by the time I need to upgrade again the world is normahahahahahahaha we're all gonna die before that

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

LOL, a year in line for a 3080, bought when it was around 800. For now ol' 1070ti keeps chugging along.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I got lucky and got a 3070 at launch.

It made Cyberpunk really pretty. Other than that I haven't yet used it for anything but web browsing, spreadsheets and word documents. Feels like a waste.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

KirbyKhan posted:

late night goon lore. I think those two in particular are TCC stories. I forget the names and the specifics but can corroborate that it is a story that does exist.

The other one, GPSFacial maybe?, nodded off in a weird position and either cut off circulation or caused nerve damage to his arm. Used to play COD with him and he'd make fun of the other team for beating them with one arm. Unfortunately ODed later on.

Then there was backpanther who crashed his sport bike, lost his arm, then spent his rehab money on Florida real estate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Try not to encounter the flu.

That may be easy mode with COVID in the air, but know that the vaccine will be particularly ineffective this season.

Maybe this can be used to convince some COVID denialists to take precautions—not many, but worth a shot.

https://twitter.com/SCOTTeHENSLEY/status/1471539482423963655

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm still on a GTX750 so I'm p sure the Ryzen integrated graphics would be an upgrade for me

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Graphics cards aren't the only thing global supply chain issues are affecting.

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/bigger-fries-off-menu-japan-mcdonalds-faces-supply-crunch-2021-12-21/

quote:

TOKYO, Dec 21 (Reuters) - McDonald's Holdings Company Japan (2702.T) said on Tuesday it would suspend the sale of medium- and large-sized french fries for a week starting on Friday due to supply chain bottlenecks.

The company is seeing delays in potato shipments due to supply chain issues caused by the COVID-19 pandemic as well as from shipping disruptions in Canada. The potatoes used for the french fries are imported from North America, it said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I managed to snag a 3070ti back in july for around 1200CAD, a buddy dropped 2k on a 3080ti a month later.

I've never spent that much on a piece of computer equipment nor will I ever again.