Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Vandar posted:

What game is this?

I came up with it off the top of my head, does it sound more interesting or less interesting than what you normally get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

signalnoise posted:

What if I told you there is a RPG where you play as an aging battlefield commander who has been tasked with saving his country's independence and does so by betting his soul to satan that he can lead the armies of hell to victory in one last war, and the narrative has a bunch of neat stuff to say about imperialism, pride, means justifying ends, etc and also is fun to just play because it's a turn based tactical strategy thing with poo poo like imps in modern tanks

I'd say that there is no way a video game has anything meaningful to say about imperialism, pride, or means justifying ends. Also the plot sounds anime enough that the imps probably have tits.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

I came up with it off the top of my head, does it sound more interesting or less interesting than what you normally get

The most difficult part of video game storytelling: coming up with a one paragraph idea that sounds cool in your head.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

pathologic 2 is fascinating and hooked me really badly when i started it but it is so aggressively and intentionally unfun to play that i just never picked it back up after that first or second session.

everything before getting to the town was surreal and incredible in a way i crave from more games and it really did all make me want to dig in deeper to like, get at *what* it was saying, but actually playing it was like the video game equivalent to Funny Games - a movie i appreciate for doing what it tries to accomplish very well, but what it tries to accomplish is uncomfortable and i'll probably never revisit it

it's very tempting to turn some of the difficulty sliders way down and try to power through, but i've picked up through goon osmosis that i really shouldn't - is there some kind of soft fail state when you inevitably die of thirst or whatever?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

signalnoise posted:

What if I told you there is a RPG where you play as an aging battlefield commander who has been tasked with saving his country's independence and does so by betting his soul to satan that he can lead the armies of hell to victory in one last war, and the narrative has a bunch of neat stuff to say about imperialism, pride, means justifying ends, etc and also is fun to just play because it's a turn based tactical strategy thing with poo poo like imps in modern tanks

this is a fun concept

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Meme Poker Party posted:

The most difficult part of video game storytelling: coming up with a one paragraph idea that sounds cool in your head.

It's Deathloop but with eight player co-op, rapid respawns, way more loot to shoot, plus we throw in some wacky but cute side characters. The plot is your team has a mad dash to kill, die and revive over and over to take down the bad guys using the corpses of your previous selves. Also there's jumping puzzles, as well as pauses to do brain training style math puzzles, also there's dogs to pet.

This is easy if your standards for cool are low enough.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Meme Poker Party posted:

Yeah, that off the cuff idea actually sounds really interesting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

It's Deathloop but with eight player co-op, rapid respawns, way more loot to shoot, plus we throw in some wacky but cute side characters. The plot is your team has a mad dash to kill, die and revive over and over to take down the bad guys using the corpses of your previous selves. Also there's jumping puzzles, as well as pauses to do brain training style math puzzles, also there's dogs to pet.

my standards for cool are low enough that i own actual rollerblades and this post is still embarrassing to read

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer:

Alpha Protocol is the best RPG because it was crafted by western developers and published by SEGA.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

imagine a game where you can be anyone, do anything and like, do whatever you want and the game world is the entire world and also you're a badass sword and gun guy and its a souls like

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

my standards for cool are low enough that i own actual rollerblades and this post is still embarrassing to read

Alright new twist, it's Dark Souls on rollerblades but also you have a life system like Mario. You have a score from kills that gets you 1-ups and also sometimes the game introduces Bioware style romances that you can't escape from.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Imagine a game that sucks your dick IRL.

E: but with, like, soulslike mechanics.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Breetai posted:

heh, heh, heh

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Alright new twist, it's Dark Souls on rollerblades but also you have a life system like Mario. You have a score from kills that gets you 1-ups and also sometimes the game introduces Bioware style romances that you can't escape from.

honestly add JSR style graffiti and this seems more workable lol

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

A blatantly obvious mix of The Truman Show and The Running Man where the protagonist is trained from childhood to be a super badass killing machine and routinely being put in life-or-death situations, being used as the government's public executioner and as the unwitting star of a lucrative reality TV show. Things go off the rails when a particularly skilled and resourceful convict manages to land a hit on the protag, making them bleed, and killing some of the costars. The protag does have some skill, but not even the audience knew that there was never any real danger, because it's all a show, and the protag is far too valuable for that, so they never really had to dodge. It makes too much sense, and fits some doubts, so the protag sets off on a mission to discover the truth. The government tries to shut the program down, but can they stop the living weapon they created????

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Breetai posted:

No...my endurance....! :sweatdrop:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Arena shooter where you have to choose carefully what shape enemies you kill because after each kill the game enters tetris mode and you must build a ramp out of dead bodies to escape the arena

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CoD clone where you must bury the dead and write letters to their grieving families

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Symphony Orchestra Tycoon

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Icochet posted:

Symphony Orchestra Tycoon

this is something i have spent a fair amount of time actually fantasizing about tbh, i know that i'm one of maybe four people that would be into it but i would be so into it

e: i would preorder the opera expansion DLC

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 21, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

A game where you play a psychiatrist with patients that come and go. You try to help them, work through issues and over time you hear from them as well as others about how they're doing. As uplifting as it can be brutal.

Actually there's probably some indie game like that already.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

not quite the same but there was some german (?) flash game about being a psychiatrist to a bunch of childrens' toys like, 17 years ago that it sounds pretty reminiscent of

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I got Pathologic 2 on the ps4 and man it runs like poo poo. Mid level loading pauses in a game that looks a Source engine product. Good music though.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
people who say skyrim is a bad game are just being edgy right cause that poo poo was cool as hell when it was new. like it made walking around in snow fun

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

syntaxfunction posted:

A game where you play a psychiatrist with patients that come and go. You try to help them, work through issues and over time you hear from them as well as others about how they're doing. As uplifting as it can be brutal.

Actually there's probably some indie game like that already.

The infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

No...my endurance....! :sweatdrop:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

signalnoise posted:

A blatantly obvious mix of The Truman Show and The Running Man where the protagonist is trained from childhood to be a super badass killing machine and routinely being put in life-or-death situations, being used as the government's public executioner and as the unwitting star of a lucrative reality TV show. Things go off the rails when a particularly skilled and resourceful convict manages to land a hit on the protag, making them bleed, and killing some of the costars. The protag does have some skill, but not even the audience knew that there was never any real danger, because it's all a show, and the protag is far too valuable for that, so they never really had to dodge. It makes too much sense, and fits some doubts, so the protag sets off on a mission to discover the truth. The government tries to shut the program down, but can they stop the living weapon they created????

Acts of Caine Truman

Edit:

Excelzior posted:

CoD clone where you must bury the dead and write letters to their grieving families

Battlefield Cleaner. It's a mix between Obra Dinn, Crime Scene Cleaner, and This War of Mine.

You get to identify the dead and maybe sell some stuff so you can keep the lights on. Finding and notifying the families explores the story and settings.

itry fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 21, 2021

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

punk rebel ecks posted:

RPG players? The Witcher and Obsidian titles for example have choices in the game that frequently change and affect the character's path and others around them.

Utter freaking fools. Yeah right, let‘s spread resources that could create one cool story really really thin and create 12 heaps of poo poo. Fantastic idea. And for what? To make some shutin losers believe their actions matter at least in a game? The result of their choice is 12 heaps of poo poo. Nothing more. There is more than enough choice in most games already: the game over screen and the you win screen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Games that offer no choice are just linear media that requires physical and mental labor to churn through. Even an artifice of choice and agency can trick my brain for a moment into feeling immersive (whatever that word means), but systems driven gameplay is always best.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
you get lovely ending #7

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Stories aren't all about the ending, they don't even need to have one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Xbox Series X/S controller is better than the Dualsense controller.

In fact, every Xbox controller for the past 3 generations has been better than the PS controller of the same generation.

Sony does not make good controllers.

OTOH, Microsoft is stuck in the 1980s with their battery using controllers that you have to pay an extra $20 to make them recharge.

Based on this, Nintendo makes the best controller.

But the d-pad on the new Xbox controller is the best I've used in years. The weird reverse D thing works so nicely. You wouldn't think it but it's great.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What, you don't want the controller that makes it arbitrarily harder to press it's buttons?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Neco posted:

Utter freaking fools. Yeah right, let‘s spread resources that could create one cool story really really thin and create 12 heaps of poo poo. Fantastic idea. And for what? To make some shutin losers believe their actions matter at least in a game? The result of their choice is 12 heaps of poo poo. Nothing more. There is more than enough choice in most games already: the game over screen and the you win screen.

I mostly agree with this except that I do like it when a game will have a couple of branching moments that can have an impact, like a character living or dying, or some influence on what route the ending goes. It makes you pay closer attention and the story feel alive with even just the idea that something could go off the rails. Not too much - I really do not want to 'craft my own story' because when I can do that on my own with a word document, I want to get a story I can explore virtually but still have my emotions manipulated and have there be some overall structure to it. Entertain me don't make me entertain myself.

Deus Ex has always been the model in my mind for a good medium of where you can the story is elastic in some of its plot beats, but basically you are on a train which still makes all of its stops.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

is final fantasy 13 an rpg

It's a test to know if someone's thoughts on games and possibly life in general can be safely ignored. I wouldn't trust a doctor who likes ff13.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

What about a doctor that is all about Postal? Or maybe they're all about Sim Tower?

Genuinely curious what games would be red flags for what folks. I know if I had a professional tell me they were all about Anthem it'd raise a lot of questions.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd feel a bit disgusted if I knew my doctor plays gacha games knowing my hard earned money is going to some dumb anime poo poo they're gonna buy but at least I'll expect them to do a good job since they won't want their source of income to stop or they might not get the triple gold star waifu on whatever poo poo they're playing.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 21, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Those anime rape games, probably. Or someone who is totally not addicted to WoW.

Edit: Spending thousands in microtransactions on any game is a red flag.

itry fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 21, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a dermatologist into call of duty and some other fps game I don't remember.

He did a good job doing a matricectomy on me. The three times he did in the same root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

When I played Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, I made sure to save all of Kassandra’s family members over the course of the game. My wife decided to play a vicious, vengeful Alexios and did the exact opposite.

The difference in tone between the dinner scenes at the end of each of our playthroughs was noticeable and after everything I had went through during mine, seeing my wife’s ending to the game left me feeling cold.

Choices in games can absolutely have a strong emotional payoff in the end.