Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Has anyone caught what the weather was right before/during the Zenos duty? I know Thavnair/Garlemald had Apocalypse, and the Dead Ends had Inevitability, but I didn't check the Zenos fight because I was too eager to kick his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ultimatum.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Flapjack Monty posted:

Has anyone caught what the weather was right before/during the Zenos duty? I know Thavnair/Garlemald had Apocalypse, and the Dead Ends had Inevitability, but I didn't check the Zenos fight because I was too eager to kick his rear end.

Dead Ends weather after the final boss might be different:

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also outright all Ancients are part of that Society, it looks like at this point it was a global society who all believed the same things (which checks out with some of the other stuff in this expansion and previous ones, in terms of disparity being born of the sundering).

I'm very late here, but I don't think this is correct? In Amaurot they mention "their friends across the pond" (presumably fantasy america) in a context where it's clear they don't consider them part of their society. Amaurot was the last nation in the world struck by the Final Days, and it's obvious in a few of those quests that they had a first-world-response-to-climate-change attitude about it, where you see them debating whether it's worth using the resources of their country for the benefit of outsiders of if they should continue their Sharlayan-style enlightened detachment.

My guess would be that there were a lot of other countries with vastly different customs that just got mostly wiped out before Zodiark was summoned.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, after the end of the game, Ultima thule is directly connected to Ethyeris via the Ragnarok.

Doesn't that mean that a fuckton of dynamis could flow into old sharlayan ambiently just by virtue of how much is in Ultima Thule and the No-longer-dead star?

Or did Emet Selch and Hythlodaeus putting up the hope-based structural supports for Ultima thule so the load-bearing scions could be people again + the defeat of the endsinger solve this issue because the entire place is now solid and real and all the free-flowing dynamis is used up?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Flapjack Monty posted:

It's that. Always check the weather in duties because they're like little easter eggs. Both Hyd and Zodiark have Polarization. In Shadowbringers Eden, whenever you fought a remixed primal they used the same weather as their originals.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pharohman777 posted:

Wait, after the end of the game, Ultima thule is directly connected to Ethyeris via the Ragnarok.

Doesn't that mean that a fuckton of dynamis could flow into old sharlayan ambiently just by virtue of how much is in Ultima Thule and the No-longer-dead star?

Or did Emet Selch and Hythlodaeus putting up the hope-based structural supports for Ultima thule so the load-bearing scions could be people again + the defeat of the endsinger solve this issue because the entire place is now solid and real and all the free-flowing dynamis is used up?

It is solid and real now, but there's still presumably a lot of dynamis floating around. It's just more hope-aspected, as you said. Without Meteion there to fire off despair beams, it's just kind of sitting there, slowly dissipating.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PoorWeather posted:

I'm very late here, but I don't think this is correct? In Amaurot they mention "their friends across the pond" (presumably fantasy america) in a context where it's clear they don't consider them part of their society. Amaurot was the last nation in the world struck by the Final Days, and it's obvious in a few of those quests that they had a first-world-response-to-climate-change attitude about it, where you see them debating whether it's worth using the resources of their country for the benefit of outsiders of if they should continue their Sharlayan-style enlightened detachment.

My guess would be that there were a lot of other countries with vastly different customs that just got mostly wiped out before Zodiark was summoned.

Hmm, I am not sure other countries existing works well with Amaurot cranking out giga predators and all that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OddObserver posted:

Hmm, I am not sure other countries existing works well with Amaurot cranking out giga predators and all that.

one of those side stories they'd written post-ShB had the convocation intending to displace an entire island of people due to an impending volcano eruption and being miffed when azem intended to just stop the eruption by converting the volcano aether into ifrit and then *punches palm of one hand with the other hand* dealing with ifrit elsewhere. They had way more power than they usually deigned to use, faintly implying a rule of non-interference. It's still nothing nearly as bad as designing the worst algorithmic curation system ever conceived but definitely evidence the amaurotines or at least the convocation had an extraordinarily wilsonian approach to things where they exercised mastery cloaked in the words of stewardship.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

OddObserver posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the stuff we see the Amaurotines crank out are creatures we encounter in Eorzea (or, well, Norvrandt). There's fairly few of their established creations in the Othard biosphere, with the Lupin being the one big exception. Still, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to guess that they controlled just the one continent and so could do what they wanted with it, but nowhere else.

Amaurotines describe themselves as "stewards of the star" in a way that suggests they have some authority over the whole world, but think this is more just a product of the exceptionalism in their culture. Like, the guide NPC says something like "oh, are you from another city originally? yet SURELY you know you stand in AMAUROT, the GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD" and others talk about how it's specifically unrivaled for its knowledge of creation magic and scholarly traditions generally. Again, it's similar to Sharlayan, who also have this attitude of being the center of civilization and having this tremendously heavy burden they must bear for that reason.

It doesn't seem implausible to me that there were other societies of Ancients who thought they were all conceited assholes and used creation magic differently, but didn't have time to come up with a plan to respond to the Final Days because they weren't lucky enough to be based around Mor Dhona, which is established as the nexus of the planet's Aether.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Weird question: the 83 and final trial have an assload of attacks with Greek names. Anyone have a good list of translations and also maybe commentaries about why the names are appropriate?

83 trial
Zodiark
Kokytos (drops everyone's HP to 1) - Cocytus, the River of Lamentation of the Greek Underworld (and also the lowest circle of Hell in the Divine Comedy but I think it's probably referring to the former and not the latter)
Paradeigma (cloned monster AoEs) - paradigm, parable (connotation is pretty obvious for this one)
Styx (multi-hit stack) - the river that forms the boundary between the living world and the underworld in Greek mythology (connotation unclear, may be a choice of "this sounds cool")
Ania (tankbuster) - personification of sorrow or grief (sounds cool)
Esoterikos (shapes) - "esoteric," wiktionary specifically says "belonging to an inner circle" which would be very cute since the attack patterns are based on the shapes shown within the circle but this seems just too clever for me
Algedon (corner to corner column AoE) - pain, suffering (sounds cool)
Apomnemoneumata (ultimate after add phase) - memoirs, also the title of a collection of Socratic dialogues by Xenophon
Phobos (raidwide + bleed) - Greek God of Fear (sounds cool)
Adikia (two-fisted slam on the arena) - injustice
Phlegethon (series of dropped circle AoEs) - another river of the Greek underworld, a river of fire

90 trial
Endsinger
Elegeia (raidwide) - just the Greek word for elegy, a sad poem or song
Galaxias (center push to edge) - I assume meant to be galaxy, but also 'galaxias' which means milky (as in Milky Way)
Elenchos (column AoEs from mouth or wings) - refutation, accusation, scrutiny
Pharmakon (exploding feathers dropped by Death's Embrace) - drug, poison, remedy
Aporrhia (spawns four heads which then cast Elenchos) - not sure, I found one source that said "flowing" but that was it
Ekstasis (spawns growing black puddles) - to be or stand outside oneself
Telos (phase 2 raidwide) - end
Telomania (wing swipes over the arena) - I think this is a new coining by FFXIV, I assume from telos (end) + mania (madness, frenzy)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Look, what I am saying is that other continent or not flying sharks showing up would probably cause something of a diplomatic incident. Sharlayan may be more than a bit full of themselves, but ultimately they mostly just smugly nerd out on their island in the middle of nowhere, so it's not going to cause anywhere near the trouble as someone's kid getting eaten by Amaurotines latest "improvement of the Star".

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
As miserable as morbols are to all of us I have no doubt that concept was actually legit confirmed and not an escapee. Those things have got to be a godsend for microorganic diversity - you could probably fill a whole glass with one's bacteria.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

And Hydaelyn doesn't look like any race or species of people, she made the decision to pretend to be a giant crystal to everyone meeting her.

unbelievable that the community in general isn't talking about this more. venat spent 12,000 years pretending to be a rock? A rock that was basically just a giant clot of aether?

what did she do in the early sundering when, I assume, the rock was much smaller?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Valentin posted:

unbelievable that the community in general isn't talking about this more. venat spent 12,000 years pretending to be a rock? A rock that was basically just a giant clot of aether?

what did she do in the early sundering when, I assume, the rock was much smaller?

I’m pretty sure she was using the Angel form the entire time, the First straight up have art of her more angelic non Crystal look.

She probably swapped to the Mothercrystal after meeting Sharlayan?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pigbuster posted:

As miserable as morbols are to all of us I have no doubt that concept was actually legit confirmed and not an escapee. Those things have got to be a godsend for microorganic diversity - you could probably fill a whole glass with one's bacteria.

I like how you can tell someone about Morbols in Elpis and they go "Wow." Followed by "Why did we make that?"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Onmi posted:

I like how you can tell someone about Morbols in Elpis and they go "Wow." Followed by "Why did we make that?"

To be honest Morbols seem to be decomposers in terms of function. Basically super fungus/rot, to collect dead refuse and break it down into useful nutrients for other parts of nature.

Throw in the fact that the Ancients were willing to make things like the Giant rear end in a top hat frogs as protectors of water sources to stop contamination/pollution and I’m gonna say they have some extreme ideas for how to perform nature conservation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be honest Morbols seem to be decomposers in terms of function. Basically super fungus/rot, to collect dead refuse and break it down into useful nutrients for other parts of nature.

Throw in the fact that the Ancients were willing to make things like the Giant rear end in a top hat frogs as protectors of water sources to stop contamination/pollution and I’m gonna say they have some extreme ideas for how to perform nature conservation.

Nature, conserve thyself *Creates the Yakuza frogs from naruto to protect the local water source*

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lord_Magmar posted:

I like the sidequest where someone tasks you with taking some eggs from a nest to make sure the creation is properly caring for its young. It turns out to be a proto-Zu, and after you kill one to get the eggs the researcher is like "well poo poo, if you could get the eggs without dying, we have to make these things way more dangerous. Maybe give them two heads or fire breath or cover the eggs in spikes?"

They're definitely the type to balance up, so to speak :allears:

e: oh good, I got a screenshot:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Patch notes.

So I can't zoom in or compare super well on my phone; anyone know whose crystal that is?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Good gravy we're even getting Chronicles of a New Era so soon?? This is my first time being up to date, I was not expecting this speed of production. Oh whoops I forgot that this refers to the raid storylines and not the 6.1 story.

E: Wait they adjusted the sound of Broil IV? Wasn't that the sound everyone was saying sounded really good?

E2:

quote:

An issue wherein the polygon count of grapes in Labyrinthos were reduced in excess to alleviate system memory usage in the area.
They buffed grapes

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 21, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

Patch notes.

So I can't zoom in or compare super well on my phone; anyone know whose crystal that is?

Old Man Lahabrea, just based of colour.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cleretic posted:

Patch notes.

Going by color it is either Lahabrea or Emmerololth.

I would actually lean towards it being Lahabrea, considering that the glow would make it appear lighter than it actually is. And this crystal seems to be inert now.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 21, 2021

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hah, From the Cold made easier. (I certainly agree that making stuff easier to find is a good change...)

Edit: LOL:

quote:

An issue wherein Ixal daily quests required the submission of belts.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 21, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lahabrea was in the image when they first announced Pandaemonium so it being his crystal is a pretty good bet

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hey I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) on the In from the Cold (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) CLEAR!. I know you've been working really hard (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) at it, and I'm happy that you've (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) achieved your goal of completion. I know your journey through (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) the content was filled with ups and downs, but you and (The effects of the Indomitable Spirit status effect have been increased) your group stuck together through them (The initial number of uses of the duty action has been increased) all, and you were rewarded for your patience and (To more easily locate certain items required to progress in this duty, the amount of fuel-concealing wreckage in the area has been increased) tenacity. Congratulations (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) once again, and here's to more success in your future (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) endeavors!!!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

Good gravy we're even getting Chronicles of a New Era so soon?? This is my first time being up to date, I was not expecting this speed of production. Oh whoops I forgot that this refers to the raid storylines and not the 6.1 story.

E: Wait they adjusted the sound of Broil IV? Wasn't that the sound everyone was saying sounded really good?

E2:

They buffed grapes

Those are just the quests for the plot of the raids.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Hey I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) on the In from the Cold (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) CLEAR!. I know you've been working really hard (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) at it, and I'm happy that you've (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) achieved your goal of completion. I know your journey through (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) the content was filled with ups and downs, but you and (The effects of the Indomitable Spirit status effect have been increased) your group stuck together through them (The initial number of uses of the duty action has been increased) all, and you were rewarded for your patience and (To more easily locate certain items required to progress in this duty, the amount of fuel-concealing wreckage in the area has been increased) tenacity. Congratulations (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) once again, and here's to more success in your future (In from the Cold is harder on 6.0) endeavors!!!

lmao classic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

quote:

* These adjustments are only applicable when choosing the Easy or Very Easy difficulties after failing the duty.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
One aspect of Elpis is in being a cheeky little commentary on game development, but they don't go super hard on that.

Although, clearly, the Final Days are an allegory for a rushed release date, then when the team was planning on sacrificing more to bring back FFXI the game was sundered to bring about A Realm Reborn, in this next essay

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

One aspect of Elpis is in being a cheeky little commentary on game development, but they don't go super hard on that.

Although, clearly, the Final Days are an allegory for a rushed release date, then when the team was planning on sacrificing more to bring back FFXI the game was sundered to bring about A Realm Reborn, in this next essay

Before the date was pushed back, the game ended with Meteion's victory. Yoshi-P saved us all.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh no im actually undergeared for the raid what the

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

E2:

They buffed grapes

broil iv sounds too masculine for my voice set is that what they mean

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Valentin posted:

Yeah, I was surprised there wasn't comedic fanart of Hydaelyn as Oz or other stuff.

But pretending to be a giant crystal is a smart move because of all the various sapient species that could awaken to the echo and not have a humanoid body type. Much easier to be a big talking crystal and not give any humanoid races ideas about racial superiority because they look like Hydaelyn.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Haurchefent/status/1473125641251745793?t=Wy8hM2l_p2ykP0Z8d8uU4g&s=19

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Cleretic posted:

Patch notes.

The increased dungeon XP is presumably to compete with Zadnor I guess.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I've seen people who clearly leveled Sage to 90 using Bozja not knowing how to Kardia or Eukrasia in roulettes.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

the pandaemonium boss music is an absolute banger https://youtu.be/uSf4IlvQ2kg

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Framing spoilers for Pandaemonium (this doesn't give away too much of how the plot unfolds, but it is spoilers all the same)
The crystal you get in Old Sharlayan reacts to the Ocular portal and sends you to the raid's story in Elpis.
Pandaemonium is a basically a containment facility for exceptionally dangerous mythic creations.
So, you know, we'll sort of be acting as a nuclear waste disposal team :v:

More serious spoilers - the boss name tags.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Badger of Basra posted:

Weird question: the 83 and final trial have an assload of attacks with Greek names. Anyone have a good list of translations and also maybe commentaries about why the names are appropriate?

83 trial
Zodiark
Kokytos (drops everyone's HP to 1) - Cocytus, the River of Lamentation of the Greek Underworld (and also the lowest circle of Hell in the Divine Comedy but I think it's probably referring to the former and not the latter)
Paradeigma (cloned monster AoEs) - paradigm, parable (connotation is pretty obvious for this one)
Styx (multi-hit stack) - the river that forms the boundary between the living world and the underworld in Greek mythology (connotation unclear, may be a choice of "this sounds cool")
Ania (tankbuster) - personification of sorrow or grief (sounds cool)
Esoterikos (shapes) - "esoteric," wiktionary specifically says "belonging to an inner circle" which would be very cute since the attack patterns are based on the shapes shown within the circle but this seems just too clever for me
Algedon (corner to corner column AoE) - pain, suffering (sounds cool)
Apomnemoneumata (ultimate after add phase) - memoirs, also the title of a collection of Socratic dialogues by Xenophon
Phobos (raidwide + bleed) - Greek God of Fear (sounds cool)
Adikia (two-fisted slam on the arena) - injustice
Phlegethon (series of dropped circle AoEs) - another river of the Greek underworld, a river of fire

The CT series had a lot of greek names involved including a repeat here so I liked to think they're all named by Amon and he was using the god level power to revisit his old classics.