Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

you literally rent a lambo and take a picture of you leaning on it.

guess that's not showing status? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just show people my steam profile

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
There wasn't a way of showing status online? Is that why Notch is still depressed in his candy mansion?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I show off my wealth and impeccable taste in beer and food by farting on packed elevators, not sure why people are annoyed with me. :confused:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Xanderkish posted:

Arguing that NFT's are good because the plebs can't have them is certainly something.

Also it reveals the degree to which the whole thing about Bitcoin democratizing anything was just a bunch of nonsense but we already knew that.

He also picked one of the absolute tackiest dumbest looking Bored Gorillaz Art examples to boot.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gutcruncher posted:

I just show people my xbox gamerscore

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Nothing says "Status" like possessing a palette-swapped digital image of a cartoon monkey created at less time and cost than it would take to bottle up your own sneeze.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

It’s been a decade since user post counts were visible on every SA post, and since reg dates were important. But now we may once again proudly show our internet cred, all thanks to NFTs. I have waited so long for this moment.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Phlag posted:

It’s been a decade since user post counts were visible on every SA post, and since reg dates were important. But now we may once again proudly show our internet cred, all thanks to NFTs. I have waited so long for this moment.

Oh wow look at this guy, big surprise, the person talking about reg dates is a 2000. Oh jeez just HAPPENED to mention reg dates, no big. Okay buddy...

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Salt Fish posted:

Oh wow look at this guy, big surprise, the person talking about reg dates is a 2000. Oh jeez just HAPPENED to mention reg dates, no big. Okay buddy...

When the Regchain reaches tier 2* implementation you'll be able to purchase that valuable status symbol for your own, no need for jealousy. The date is not fungible but the ownership is!

* tier 1 was an Initial Date Offering of 9/11

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I need to turn the years of my life into tokens and sell them to become a 20 year old once again.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Prurient Squid posted:

I need to turn the years of my life into tokens and sell them to become a 20 year old once again.

There's probably not a market for it unless you spent the time as a series of slighly-varied cartoon apes.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/kgreifeld/status/1472986459028209671

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

is this indicating that investors are pessimistic about bitcoin's trajectory in the near future?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
NFTs are a status symbol for sure, and that status is "single and insufferable"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Talking of insufferable…

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

abigserve posted:

I thought it might be blinded and poisoned.

If you scroll down her twitter page a bit, you can see where she references a poll from February where she asked "do I need to learn about NFTs" and the slight majority answer is "no". Then she repeated the poll on 19 DEC and the answer is about 67% "no".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
New money has always had no taste, but it's pretty amazing how on top of NFTs doing literally none of the poo poo they say they do, they're pretty much the opposite of 'a way to show status online' for the reputation they instantly and deservedly gathered.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

upsidedown posted:

Pixel rich, cash poor

permanently embarassed thousandaires

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Maybe I’m being dumb but isn’t “showing status” predicated on everyone accepting that what you’re showing is “status having”?

You don’t have to be into cars to know that Lambos cost a lot, therefore anyone who owns one is likely well off. Same for Patek Philippe etc stuff (although fancy watches can be passed down so aren’t necessarily indicative).

For Bored Ape poo poo or other NFTs to be a sign of wealth or status it would have to mean something in the wider world, to the uninitiated. I can’t see how that could ever realistically happen when 100% of their “utility” can be appropriated simply by copy and pasting them.

If I copy and paste the most expensive Bored Ape then I’m just as rich looking - which is to say not at all - to anyone on the periphery as the “owner”. Only in the inner circle and amongst a very small number of people does that ownership actually mean anything.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 21, 2021

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

is this indicating that investors are pessimistic about bitcoin's trajectory in the near future?

They're rejecting the reality that bitcoin will be a million dollars per by the end of year. Well, maybe next year. But that just means it's time to buy the dip!

This can only be good for bitcoin.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
While I feel like a Lambo is not a good use of money, they at least look kind of nice and I'm assuming they drive pretty nice. You are at least getting something high quality in return for your money.

Even if you believe that an NFT confers ownership, what do these people even believe they are buying? Really bad, low-quality artwork, that isn't even unique because it was generated procedurally. I wouldn't pay a dollar for this artwork that they are "buying" for many dollars.

Normally, when you own something, that means you have additional power over it that non-owners of it don't have. If I own a car, I can drive it. If I own a painting, I can display it where I choose and if I want, I don't even have to let other people see it. What additional power over something does being the "owner" of its NFT give you? Nothing.

This was something I wanted to ask: Let's say an NFT exists in the blockchain, pointing at some url. Does anything stop someone from minting a new NFT in the same blockchain, pointing at the same url and claiming it is the "real" one? No, right?

No one is actually buying lovely monkey artwork on the blockchain for $1,000, right? It's just one guy selling artwork to himself to make it look like there is a market, right?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Stop trying to make value happen. It's not gonna happen.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
It helps that nice houses and cars and watches and paintings and such are usually nice to look at, though not always.

Bored Apes are loving hideous and those arent even as bad as the Lindsay Lohan furry NFTs that even the furries thought were so ugly they laughed her out of town

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

abigserve posted:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/6aregsala7/status/1473122758590611463?t=MlN1xsb2NxkNdCuBuGxSmg&s=19

Lmao, amazing. People already have their private avatars stolen in VR, right clicking 3D avatars literally already exists. There is nothing stopping people from stealing them, sticking a bunch of dicks on them then duplicating them a thousand times and flooding their precious metaverse homes until the server crashes.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Durzel posted:

Maybe I’m being dumb but isn’t “showing status” predicated on everyone accepting that what you’re showing is “status having”?

You don’t have to be into cars to know that Lambos cost a lot, therefore anyone who owns one is likely well off. Same for Patek Philippe etc stuff (although fancy watches can be passed down so aren’t necessarily indicative).

For Bored Ape poo poo or other NFTs to be a sign of wealth or status it would have to mean something in the wider world, to the uninitiated. I can’t see how that could ever realistically happen when 100% of their “utility” can be appropriated simply by copy and pasting them.

If I copy and paste the most expensive Bored Ape then I’m just as rich looking - which is to say not at all - to anyone on the periphery as the “owner”. Only in the inner circle and amongst a very small number of people does that ownership actually mean anything.

That's why his argument pivots almost immediately to "being in a club", with one of the replies asserting that you'll need the right NFT to get in the door of some future exclusive area. The initial argument is thin, so they immediately throw in an (unprovable) appeal to belonging and FOMO.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

nonathlon posted:

That's why his argument pivots almost immediately to "being in a club", with one of the replies asserting that you'll need the right NFT to get in the door of some future exclusive area.

Well, if laughingstock is a "club"...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It’s amazing that it took until the year 2021 for us to have the technology for people to buy some kind of…ticket to allow them into an event

Until now it’s just been a total free for all

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Gutcruncher posted:

It’s amazing that it took until the year 2021 for us to have the technology for people to buy some kind of…ticket to allow them into an event

Until now it’s just been a total free for all
NFTs: Somehow still worse than Ticketmaster

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lol remember that photo of the Bored Ape "club" meeting where every single person in the photo looked like a minor variation of the same base douchebag? Slightly different facial hair, hat, or shirt but still clearly the same template.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/benmezrich/status/1473271166756343817?s=21

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Shifty Pony posted:

Lol remember that photo of the Bored Ape "club" meeting where every single person in the photo looked like a minor variation of the same base douchebag? Slightly different facial hair, hat, or shirt but still clearly the same template.

"Character spawning as a result of a rushed development timeline and memory limitations in the 2020 game Cyberpunk 2077 by CD Projekt Red."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The lambo at least will do it's given job of being a good gofast machine.
And it's not like the car's VIN is what makes it valuable. That's what NFTs are in the example, they're not the luxuary good, they're the unique identifier to the luxury good and it turns out simply wiriting down the VIN of a lambo doesn't give you full access to a cool go-fast machine. But guess what happens when I copy an NFT!

E: I'm picturing a scene in a metaverse where a guy is arguing with someone behind the counter about how the database says it's his car and we zoom out and pan about outside and everyone is driving lambos, wrapping them around fire hydrants and whatever just having a good time.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 21, 2021

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://twitter.com/6aregsala7/status/1473122758590611463?t=MlN1xsb2NxkNdCuBuGxSmg&s=19

Lmao, amazing. People already have their private avatars stolen in VR, right clicking 3D avatars literally already exists. There is nothing stopping people from stealing them, sticking a bunch of dicks on them then duplicating them a thousand times and flooding their precious metaverse homes until the server crashes.

Don’t stop I’m almost there

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At least Mensa can be happy that they're now only second in being the most concentrated collection of insufferable douchebags.

Although I'm sure there's significant overlap.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

just the kind of people i want to hang out with, people who spent 5 figures on an ape jpeg

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
doomer takes
https://twitter.com/beka_valentine/status/1472714834806403076

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1472673718698590212.html

One Token To Rule Them All And In The Blockchain Bind Them

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
buttcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HootTheOwl posted:

The lambo at least will do it's given job of being a good gofast machine.
And it's not like the car's VIN is what makes it valuable. That's what NFTs are in the example, they're not the luxuary good, they're the unique identifier to the luxury good and it turns out simply wiriting down the VIN of a lambo doesn't give you full access to a cool go-fast machine. But guess what happens when I copy an NFT!

Lambos also like catching themselves on fire, destroying their own value. They just happen to be insurable, so when they do burn down, the rich rear end in a top hat gets another one.

On that, hear me out, what if someone "insured" NFTs?