Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This is where you write them back saying your great-aunt threw their poo poo in the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I wish the letter said more about the gifts and the relationships involved, because I can't wrap my head around it. I can accept that there are people who would do this, but for multiple people to do this there must be something else going on. Like maybe they were in a cult together or something.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I wish the letter said more about the gifts and the relationships involved, because I can't wrap my head around it. I can accept that there are people who would do this, but for multiple people to do this there must be something else going on. Like maybe they were in a cult together or something.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA For Calling my Friends Girlfriend Annoying and Immature?

quote:

The term “girlfriend” is used sparingly here as the two are exclusive but not officially dating. My friend (22M) met this girl (19) online and is extremely fond of her despite having never actually met her since they live in different states. I (23M) met my friend back in high school but moved away for college. All three of us usually video chat at night with a few other friends and things are usually pretty chill. The girl my friend is talking to is nice enough but I can’t help but find her extremely annoying. As a person she’s great but the one issue I have with her is the fact she is the type of person to start obsessing over things she likes, and right now that obsession seems to be certain kpop groups.

When I say obsessed, I mean obsessed to a point it’s almost concerning. I get liking the music and all but the way she fawns over one group, in particular, is just weird. She knows all these crazy facts about the members, knows most of their songs by heart and has what must be thousands of dollars of merchandise for them. She even had a custom phone case made with her favorite member on it. I wouldn’t have even known this group existed before I met her but once you get her talking about them she literally does not shut up about it.

We were in our usual group chat last night and, of course, she started going off about this group again. Something about their new album that was brought up because she changed her status to one of the lyrics. I had a rough day already and just wanted to chill and play video games, not listen to her crazy stories about whatever member she was talking about. After a few minutes I finally snapped at her and told her to shut up, I said that no one cares about her stupid obsession and she needed to get over herself because it was annoying. She looked embarrassed and just nodded before muting herself and staying silent the rest of the call. She just sat there like a kicked puppy and that honestly annoyed me even more because it felt like she was just fishing for attention. This is the behavior I would expect from a ten-year-old, not an adult.

Once she left the call I ranted my frustrations to my friend telling him how immature his “girlfriend” was acting and how he could do better. I thought he would agree but instead, he snapped at me. He called me a heartless rear end in a top hat and said I embarrassed and insulted her. He told me that her obsession with this group was no different than my interest in video games and of course she was going to pout because someone she didn’t know was yelling at her. If anything, I was the immature one for not being able to listen to another person's interests for a few minutes before ranting about my own. I disagree, I don’t think his comparison was accurate and I had a valid reason for calling her annoying. However, he refuses to talk to me again until I come to my senses and apologize to her so, AITA?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

My family has a lot of very old furniture that gets shuffled around upon a death.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hughlander posted:

AITA For Calling my Friends Girlfriend Annoying and Immature?

I really want to say that OP is a huge jackass....

But if you know anything about Kpop Stans you know they are the absolute dregs of the earth, just absolute garbage humans, so, who knows

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Miserable Maid posted:

I really want to say that OP is a huge jackass....

But if you know anything about Kpop Stans you know they are the absolute dregs of the earth, just absolute garbage humans, so, who knows

Excuse me, kpop fans are valuable allies in the war against fascism.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Beachcomber posted:

You're thinking of The Juggalos

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bf won’t spend New Years with me, is he selfish or I am overreacting?

quote:

Long story short we have been together for almost 4 years and have not spent one New Year’s Eve together. 2019 we were long distance so we couldn’t, 2020 he made plans with his family, 2021 he was sick. This year I asked if we could finally spend a NYE together. He said he couldn’t because his mom is throwing a party and his cousins are coming from another state. I said what if you stay at the party for a couple hours and then we spend NYE together after? His cousins will be here for 3 days. I have also let him know that my parents will be out of town, my brother will be working, and none of my friends will be home so not only will I not be able to see him if we don’t have plans I will have to spend NYE on my own in an empty house. It is also not an option for me to come to the party with his family. Advice needed please!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Like juggalos and furries.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

MarcusSA posted:

Why is it not an option for her to go to his family's party, I hear you ask?

OP posted:

With my idea he would be able to spend a couple hours with his family and then just see me after, I can’t go to his house because his family is very religious and they don’t know he has a girlfriend

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Both. Kpop Twitter flooded #AllLivesMatter and other garbage philosophies with so much kpop they became meaningless.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Evil Willow posted:

Why is it not an option for her to go to his family's party, I hear you ask?

lol she's dating a married dude

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Lone Badger posted:

It still somehow dumbfounds me this is a real thing.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Beachcomber posted:

Nooooo hhahaha noooo

The enemy of your enemy is not always your friend.

Twitter Kpop stans are the kind that claim to be against fascism, then turn around to be harassing dictators against everyone. Mind you these things are such horrible things as: Race Mixing, Drawing a Boob, etc.

It's SUPER WEIRD.

That, and even the not insane ones are like Bronys, in that they literally *cannot* stop talking about their object of obsession for even a single minute.

Sorry I've dealt with them a lot, just the most exhausting humans on earth. At least they're not TikTok Kstans, those kids are cartoonishly evil

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for chosing my STEPMOM over my biological mom?

J and I moved in 3 days ago but we still get calls from them telling me to kick J out or K won't see me again.

Biomom is really threatening them with a good time there.

Baronjutter posted:

"A homeless person asked me for money and instead of just saying "sorry" and walking on I stopped and told him to get a job and ask him what gives him the right to harass me and my christian family. He then slowly stood up and used a curse word so I threw my wallet at him and ran to protect my wife and kids. This city needs to double its police budget!!!"

nextdoor.txt

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

15+ age gap.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Miserable Maid posted:

Nooooo hhahaha noooo

The enemy of your enemy is not always your friend.

Twitter Kpop stans are the kind that claim to be against fascism, then turn around to be harassing dictators against everyone. Mind you these things are such horrible things as: Race Mixing, Drawing a Boob, etc.

It's SUPER WEIRD.

That, and even the not insane ones are like Bronys, in that they literally *cannot* stop talking about their object of obsession for even a single minute.

Sorry I've dealt with them a lot, just the most exhausting humans on earth. At least they're not TikTok Kstans, those kids are cartoonishly evil

They are a weapon that can be harnessed occasionally, but that's about it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The only thing I can think of that's even vaguely similar is that, when my grandma died and my mom and her siblings were cleaning out the house, they agreed that any sentimental gifts the families had given her over the years could be reclaimed by the givers, no arguments. (This is how I ended up with a breathtakingly ugly polymer-bead necklace that I made in early elementary school and which my grandmother kept, God bless her.) I'm guessing this is more a bunch of random kitchen appliances and poo poo, though, especially if we're talking about people coming out of the woodwork after the estate is settled.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Foo Diddley posted:

i guess i just exude an aura of poverty 'cuz i've wandered around some extremely lovely neighborhoods, at all hours of night, in all kinds of illegal states of mind, and no one ever tried to rob me

I'm pretty sure this is a D&D feat.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

limp_cheese posted:

It still somehow dumbfounds me this is a real thing.

https://www.nazifursfuckoff.com

I gave away 1000 of these stickers at anthrocon one year but the staff kept trying to confiscate then because they have a swear

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MarcusSA posted:

Tell me you're the side chick without telling me

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Lone Badger posted:

I can accept that Juggalos, Furries and Kpop stans can do good things, while also never wanting to be in the same room as any of them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

limp_cheese posted:

Its alright to call him a doormat, no need to spruce up the language.

So as a form of financial control this dude is forcing her to make interest payments to a bank that are unnecessary, making the house cost more without adding any value to it. Just wtf.

With how low rates for mortgages are right now even if you had the money to pay for a house in cash it'd actually probably be a better idea to do it over a loan because even with an incredibly boring portfolio you're pretty much guaranteed to get more income in investments than you'd be losing in the interest, particularly when there are tax breaks that reduce the impact of the interest even further. Everything else about the story is a giant red flag for the OP to run away from but that specific detail is actually the smart play.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

With how low rates for mortgages are right now even if you had the money to pay for a house in cash it'd actually probably be a better idea to do it over a loan because even with an incredibly boring portfolio you're pretty much guaranteed to get more income in investments than you'd be losing in the interest, particularly when there are tax breaks that reduce the impact of the interest even further. Everything else about the story is a giant red flag for the OP to run away from but that specific detail is actually the smart play.

I don’t see how the arrangement her bf proposes is any different than her just renting an apartment from any random landlord. No claim to any ownership and downpaying for his property?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Attitude Indicator posted:

I don’t see how the arrangement her bf proposes is any different than her just renting an apartment from any random landlord. No claim to any ownership and downpaying for his property?

Well, he wants her to contribute half of the 20% down payment on the property, which isn't normal for a renter to do.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

You can actually do this by gifting someone property through what's known as a Life Estate. It's typically used for property to avoid probate. For example, you could create one for your child so that they inherit your home once you pass but you get personal use of the property and are the effective owner until then. Alternately, you can make sure grandma has someplace to live, a property they can rent out, or assets that generate income that will revert to you on their death.

A lot of my friends really hate that I make them sign documents establishing what's essentially joint ownership for clothes or jewelry, or that I will press charges if they ever toss or sell it, but you gotta watch out for yourself. You can even designate a third party to receive the items upon the gift receiver's death and make your best friends' last acts on earth aggressive gift giving.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
that's a lot of words to say that economics is just people playing calvinball with your livelihood

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

cumshitter posted:

You can even designate a third party to receive the items upon the gift receiver's death and make your best friends' last acts on earth aggressive gift giving.

Lol that owns

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my dad that my step-mom took all my Christmas gifs, including a car?

quote:

My (16F) dad's family comes from old money, his parents never approved his relationship with my mother and neither did it to her pregnancy, he didn't saw me for the first 10 years of my life until my grandparents died.

Before that when I was 7, my mother started to date Melissa, my step-mom, who has a daughter named Grace who's two years older than me. She used to be mean to me because she had a dad and I didn't, things got worse when she found out that I DID had a dad, he just wasn't around me. Her dad had to intervene to make the bullying stop.

Three years after that my dad contacted my mom, explained what happened and we reconnected, Grace's changed too because at the same time his dad started to distance from them until he ended up moving a two states away to be closer to his new wife's family when I turned 13.

I remember that, during the first years if my dad bought me something, he'd buy something for Grace too, not as big or meaningful, but she never left her out, she usually threw fits at Christmas because he usually buys me tech (phones, iPads, laps, headphones) and only gets her clothes (pretty and good clothes, tbh).

This Christmas is the worse tho, since Grace has to move for uni next year, her mom wanted to bring her grandparents, uncles, cousins and dad to celebrate, so she asked me to spend New Years with my dad this year, I said yes. My dad came a few days ago to drop our gifs in which he included a brad new car because now that Grace is moving, she can't took me around anymore, I was honestly so happy and excited, when Grace and her mom arrived and saw the car they thought that it was for her (from her dad or grandparents because she's the one leaving for college), but my mom kindly explained them that my dad drop it for me, they didn't liked it but anyway, they were excited about the small party for Grace.

This morning, my mom and Grace were with my grandpa dropping some stuff so it was only my step-mom and me. Around 10am Grace's dad called and said that he wouldn't be able to make it and that he ''wished her luck'' before hanging up, it was so hosed up. My step-mom was so mad and when I asked what I could do she said she'll show me and started to take all my presents from the three, I was so confused and when she took my keys I asked what was she doing, she said that Grace didn't need to feel like second best during this Christmas too and that I'd had to open them later, I said that she couldn't take the things my dad gave me and she only answered with a ''I'm you mom, I can do whatever I want'' and hop on my car I left. I called my mom to tell her what happened and after that, I called my dad.

He told my moms that if Melissa didn't gave back my things he'll report them as stolen, including my car and while my mom is torn between us, Melissa and Grace said that I ruined Christmas because my step-mom might go to jail and that not everything is about me.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"How dare you make your step-mother face the consequences of her lovely actions"

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Give me your dad, and your Christmas.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Give me your dad, and your Christmas.

And your car.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for wanting to file a restraining order against my future stepdaughter and preventing her from attending mine and her dad's wedding?

quote:

I (female-American 37) met my fiancè (Male 46 Canadian-Lebanese) 3 years ago. He has a 23yo daughter "Najwa" She was heavily against her parents separating which I had nothing to do with cause I met him 2 years after the separation. Najwa and I seemed to be doing pretty good getting along first but then she started doing things like damaging my car and legal documentations (she damaged my pasport to prevent me from traveling with her dad and threw away my dogs food) her excuse was always that her mom told her to do those things and was pressured by her. I did my best to let things go and she stopped and we sort of started getting along again until her dad and I announced our marriage date. She literally angerily screamed at us at dinner table but the next minute said "congratulation" with huge smile on her face. Her own 34yo, Lebanese-Canadian boyfriend called her "nuts".

She came over to her dad's house while I was out and found my wedding dress (I've never been married before this is my first experience ever and I was overjoyed with the dress) and ruined it with paint, literall wall paint she brought with her. She wasn't there when I got home but the door cam revealed everything. I had a very negative reaction I confronted her and she still denied. I made a police report but got talked into letting it go since her boyfriend paid for the dress.

Everything was expected to go back to normal but I was done with her (she didn't even apologize) and am now discussing filing for a restraining order against her cause this was the last straw. Her dad found out about the pitential RO and disagreed completely and said I went over the top by even considering it but she's an adult and she ruined hundreds worth of dollars and she should face the consequences. Where does it stop?. He insisted I let it go cause he wants her at our wedding and an RO will prevent her from being there. He said I already got paid for the dress and he'll get her to apologize if I wanted but I still refused. He told me to at least wait until after the wedding then do whatever cause he really wants Najwa there and called me cruel to dismiss how important that is for him. It got too much for me and I told him I could've made things worse and had her charged but I just want her to stay away and asked him to respect my decision. he said I was unreasonable to think he'd support me in this and begged that I reconsider cause this will ruin his relationship with her forever.

I feel like morally I could be wrong since she's my stepdaughter and we are family I think this might ruin the relationship between us (her, her dad, and my inlaws). Who are begging me not to do this.

Eta my fiance has always been supportive of me and helped me so much while struggling and he's unlike the family. He's kind and understanding.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Absolute dregs of the earth. But also yes

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my dad that my step-mom took all my Christmas gifs, including a car?

Can’t believe I’m 100% on the side of the side of the old money guy who is threatening to call the cops.

Speaking of Nextdoor one of my relatives found people dog piling a “call the cops I saw a black/homeless person” Karen in one of the more expensive towns in Orange County CA of all places which is heartwarming

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

---
He told my moms that if Melissa didn't gave back my things he'll report them as stolen, including my car and while my mom is torn between us, Melissa and Grace said that I ruined Christmas because my step-mom might go to jail and that not everything is about me.

D: Give back the things, or you go to jail.
M: I don't want to go to jail!

Seems like a very clear and obvious path forward for Melissa here, just give back the poo poo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not everything is ABOUT YOU

Just the things that were explicitly for you, that we took from your home, but REALLY

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Hail Paimon!

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for kicking my aunt's husband out of my house and family holiday gathering when he was homophobic?

quote:

All my life, my parents always hosted the big family Christmas at their house. This year, they sold their large house to downsize.

I bought my first house recently. I'm 25 and live there alone, but my girlfriend and I are talking about her moving in.

I offered to host the holidays to keep the tradition alive. My parents would also come by and help me host.

My aunt Lisa married Peter, and they have a daughter. They live across the country so they decided to come up to our state a bit early to save money on airfare. I offered to host them all week. I'd only met Peter twice before.

They showed up this afternoon after a long flight. I invited them in and we caught up with my parents and amongst each other.

My girlfriend Emma came home from work and kissed me and Peter just went "You're a (f slur)?" And I go "Nah, I'm a lesbian"

He starts to say some stuff like "you've gotta be loving kidding me, in front of my daughter?" And I'm like "Nah man I'm not kidding and I'm also not kidding when I say that bigoted poo poo doesn't fly in my house, get the gently caress out"

He laughed and I'm like "Dude, I'm deadass serious, get out of here"

He says he just flew in and the return flight wasn't for a week, he didn't even have a car here.

I said that it sounded like he thought I cared where he went but I frankly didn't, as long as it wasn't my house.

Lisa convinced Peter to grab the essentials and step out for a while to let things cool off. Lisa went out to walk with him.

My parents tried to convince me to let Peter stay, I had agreed to host him and his family, would I really put a family with a kid out? I said I wasn't putting the family out, just Peter

They said it was really against hosting etiquette to have someone fly across the country to visit and then put them out. And that it would be rude to make him stay in a hotel till Christmas dinner.

I said "wait you thought I was still having him over for Christmas dinner?" My parents tried to convince me and I said no way.

I went upstairs to grab Peter's suitcase, and my girlfriend came with me and was really grateful I handled it, and didn't make her have to be the bad guy in front of my family.

I put his suitcase out, and sent Lisa a text saying that I would still love to have her and her daughter over for the holidays, but I wasn't comfortable with Peter coming into my home.

She came by to grab their things, her family was getting a hotel, I told her she was welcome to come to Christmas with her daughter and she said she'd let me know.

My parents are furious, they think I overreacted and overstepped my place. And that the rest of the family was visiting wanting to see their family. I said they could still meet up, just not at mine. I said that maybe if they were still hosting it would be their call to make but this year I was.

AITA for kicking out this homophobic guy?
Heck of a way to find out your parents are also homophobes, even if they aren't throwing slurs around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for kicking my aunt's husband out of my house and family holiday gathering when he was homophobic?

Heck of a way to find out your parents are also homophobes, even if they aren't throwing slurs around.

Oh, I love the spine on her.