Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Answers Me posted:

That, and I genuinely think a lot of people in America seem to be saying 'gently caress it, I don't want to work/live like that any more'. I've seen people talking about The Great Resignation, which sounds like a bit of a dumb reddit meme but I've seen it referenced in serious circles too. Something interesting is definitely happening over there, potentially.

There was a report on that somewhere that said a lot of this was more about women having to take on far more responsibility at home (with home schooling, WFH etc) and not being able to 'have it all' rather than a big change in peoples' mindsets. I'll look for link later just about to have a zoom meeting with boss.

Page snipe: 86

Appropriately, 86 is a term used in the US to do with resignations or sackings - can't recall which. (I think it comes from AT6 - some kind of form but I don't remember exactly!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I really hate how the word lockdown is used in the UK, we literally never had a single lockdown.
I think it's worth keeping hammering the message that two weeks of actual lockdown would have done more good (with less bad) than however many months of half-assed "stay at home if you can unless you don't want to then don't".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Imagine dismantling the welfare state and having your worker drone population quit anyway. Suck it, capital

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Terrifies me that people who are supposedly sensible keep saying stuff like 'covid is endemic we need to learn to live with it'.

Like we never even tried to get rid of it. Could we try that first please.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

People generally find out how bad things are from the media, the same media which is now presenting a tiny united front of "don't you dare say the virus still exists"

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The actual driving force of the "great resignation" in the US is people aged 50-65 riding 10 years of a stock market boom who realised they can just retire.

Which is fair enough and does create ripple effects down the chain for those younger and less rich, but boomers reaping yet more from the asset boom is not exactly a great stand against capitalism.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Who are you calling libs? I really hate how the word lockdown is used in the UK, we literally never had a single lockdown. We had upper classes working from home, crying that the pubs are closed, while the working class deliver them takeaways. Literally noone is going to notice if you go hang out with your mates or whatever.

Nah there was a three week period back at the very beginning where you couldn't get a McDonalds delivered and police used drones to yell at people for being on the moors.

After that it all gets blurry pretty quickly.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

keep punching joe posted:

You're meant to do the hard lockdown once and get the numbers low enough to allow accurate and aggressive contact tracing. While combining this with strict managed quarantine for international travellers. How is this still so hard to grasp? Countries with a fraction of the resources of the UK manage it (Yes I know the answer is because of capitalism).

This is what I've been saying for the last So months. People have been hearing the "left-liberals" (?) saying either "we should lock down now" or "no don't open up yet" on loop since March 2020, and interpreted this to mean "the snowflakes think we should have been in a continuous hard lockdown for the last 20 months".

When actually the government never does the next steps properly, so there's never a way out of the cycle.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If we are opening up on this topic. My dad is massively struggling with lockdown mentally. My mum is really worried about him. It's so hard to discuss because we are in global pandemic and it is really dangerous.

He has always been like this anyway but my mum was able to tell him he was overreacting to situations. Now he sort of isn't in a way but he is really close to the edge. It's quite scary.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
I had omnicron and now I feel invincible so I went to the pub with my friend and it was empty.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Red Oktober posted:

hunted was great fun

I'd like to see this program taken to it's logical conclusion where people compete to stay in the jungle waging guerrilla warfare without acknowledging the war has ended for as long as possible

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jippa posted:

If we are opening up on this topic. My dad is massively struggling with lockdown mentally. My mum is really worried about him. It's so hard to discuss because we are in global pandemic and it is really dangerous.

He has always been like this anyway but my mum was able to tell him he was overreacting to situations. Now he sort of isn't in a way but he is really close to the edge. It's quite scary.

I'd suggest talking through it with someone anonymously - e.g. Samaritans - could be a big help. When you've conditioned yourself to think your subjective view of the world is inappropriately doom-laden and nothing is as bad as you interpret it, it's quite the trip to realise that the things you've been worried about for years aren't so stupid after all.

I'd say that he should feel reassured to an extent by his worry, and that the main takeaway is that more and more people are starting to worry about it and that's what's going to drive positive change. That's not something he can come to straight away though. More likely, gradual realisation that things are bad but it's not the end of the world, is going to help him to stay calmer when confronted with unexpected current events.

Another aspect may be that he feels he doesn't want to open up too much to relatives in the worry that he's actually right and by explaining it he might get everyone else in a panic - hence the importance of the anonymous counselling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Atlantic asking the deep philosophical questions

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
"But we can't pursue zero covid because of international travel and differing strategies in different regions. It would need global coordination to eradicate now."

Great hey you know what else requires global coordination, climate change, and guess what *starts donning Joker facepaint*

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

"But we can't pursue zero covid because of international travel and differing strategies in different regions. It would need global coordination to eradicate now."

Great hey you know what else requires global coordination, climate change, and guess what *starts donning Joker facepaint*

You can usually predict the strategy by which one appears to make the government more money in the next 2 hours

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Things wouldn't have gotten this far if we'd kept up even the basics, like masks in shops and public transport, and public venue seating spaced apart. Keeping up measures like that would have normalised them and rightly made the Piers Corbyns / Dan Wootons (it's always the Dans isn't it) of the world look like the swivel-eyed fringe nutcases they are.

But instead the government looked like they were capitulating to them, and now they think they have power and can get to write insane tracts in national newspapers about the tyranny of having to wear a bit of cloth over your mouth.

Also on the subject of doomposting, I get far less pissed off by people discussing how bad it is than I am by the same poster saying "it's not bad, we don't know if it'll be bad" and then being proved wrong every loving wave.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I got a letter from the government the other day. Opened it, read it, it said they are trialling a couple of anti covid drugs that stop you getting seriously ill as long as you catch yourself within 24 hours of getting ill. So they're sending me a PCR test, which is nice. I mean it's terrifying to be immunocompromised in a country that... well. *gestures to all of this* I'm voluntarily locking myself down anyway but it was a nice surprise to feel like there was another bit of contingency.

Thought I'd mention it in case there are any other at-risk goons in the thread, you might be getting similar.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I don't want us to need a lockdown, but if one is needed then I want the government to do it

like I keep seeing assertions on twitter that there's this massive contingent of people who just want a lockdown basically for the sake of a lockdown (e.g. the below) or even because they secretly enjoy it, but I swear to god I have never seen this phenomenon in the wild and if you ask them they never provide an example

https://twitter.com/JonnElledge/status/1470336710072545283?t=8RVrD2S1F6pGNJTw-RLw5A&s=19.

it really grates on me, especially when you start to see it from left Twitter, because the idea of another one is almost unbearable to me* (I live on my own, all my friends live elsewhere, and my best friend is moving abroad in march or so, so if everything goes tits up I might not see him for years) but if one is necessary then I'd have to say I'd prefer that to thousands of people dying.

lockdown is poo poo, the government has always done it too late, without enough support and squandered any ground gained immediately, but if the alternative** is perceived as bodies piling up in the streets then I don't think wanting a lockdown is necessarily some sort of sublimated desire to tut at people (even if there are obviously people who do want to tut, or do enjoy being proved right a little too much)

plus tbh I'd still like to not get COVID even having been vaccinated

* Even more than this phenomenon, I hate the people who try to imply that anyone who thinks a lockdown might be necessary has no friends and just wants to live in their gamer cave or whatever, cunts
** idk if it is, I guess if omicron starts killing/ lots of people it will turn out to have been and if it doesn't then it won't, but I don't know enough to say and tbh at this point I can't be arsed trying to find out

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Answers Me posted:

People won't tolerate living like this forever.

Beside the point previously made that in our 'lockdowns' most people still had to go to work, we've had no restrictions or mask requirements for ages now, yet people still feel they've been suffering, because Covid is a mental burden and social restraint. When there are no restrictions pubs etc still suffer, from people choosing to stay away or being ill. People will tolerate living like that because they have no choice.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'd almost have settled just for Boris not spending the first half of this year repeatedly saying "irreversible roadmap to the end of restrictions" when we hadn't even got stuff under control pre-omicron. Once you've done that you're never gonna get widespread consent for necessary restrictions anymore. (Yeah that was the plan, it really sucks!)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The real answer to this is that lack of government policy, combined with endless media (and social media) nonsense and the ongoing nature of the pandemic distorting our perception of the passage of time, is contributing to a feeling of overall societal collapse. We don't have enough normality in our daily lives to distract from the usual craziness and it's left us feeling unanchored without any easy prior comparison point.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Things are going to suck until 2026, i just picked that number as it sounds reasonable to me and i can cope with things for at least that long.

Pretty sure some of my relatives are feeling disorientated already as this is real and they need to adapt a bit yet.

I've always seen my self as an observer of life and not really a participant in it so the solitude & limited social interaction seems normal to me. :niggly: :chillout:

edit: social media seems to be very toxic, i have a very limited need for it.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 21, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Mr Cuddles posted:

I'd like to see this program taken to it's logical conclusion where people compete to stay in the jungle waging guerrilla warfare without acknowledging the war has ended for as long as possible

I think this was close enough.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I mean the one thing most people felt about climate change was that collective action would never happen because the threat just wasn't present enough. Like, if all of a sudden there was a literal wall of fire moving across the planet then you'd have thought governments would finally take notice that money wasn't the forever priority.

Problem is, Covid-19 is effectively the clearest sign ever that there is an impending disaster that requires focused, collaborative action on a massive scale, with an immediacy and bodycount unlike anything we've seen before, and even that isn't enough to stop the parties and the mates contracts and the revolving doors of journalism, politics and lobbying. It's all or nothing and we're sitting here watching our leaders put their feet up and have a brandy by the fire until this all blows over (it won't)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

Things are going to suck until 2026, i just picked that number as it sounds reasonable to me and i can cope with things for at least that long.

Things are going to suck forever, it’s just that eventually it won’t be because of covid.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's funny; I was thinking (and saying) a year ago that the Tories were just waiting for Covid to be 'finished' and then they'd boot Johnson out.
It turns out that they were thinking about things the other way round; boot Johnson out and then declare Covid to be 'finished'.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Convex posted:

I mean the one thing most people felt about climate change was that collective action would never happen because the threat just wasn't present enough. Like, if all of a sudden there was a literal wall of fire moving across the planet then you'd have thought governments would finally take notice that money wasn't the forever priority.

Problem is, Covid-19 is effectively the clearest sign ever that there is an impending disaster that requires focused, collaborative action on a massive scale, with an immediacy and bodycount unlike anything we've seen before, and even that isn't enough to stop the parties and the mates contracts and the revolving doors of journalism, politics and lobbying. It's all or nothing and we're sitting here watching our leaders put their feet up and have a brandy by the fire until this all blows over (it won't)

Such collective good will remain the purview of utopian science fiction... i was going to say; "until we have a real crisis" but then i paused and sighed.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I guess we either seriously face up to international travel becoming very curtailed (for both climate and pandemic reasons). Or we just accept that we will see wave upon wave of death until covid either burns itself out and/or another disease emerges (and in between we can be distracted by wildfires sweeping the planet every summer).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Things are going to suck forever, it’s just that eventually it won’t just be because of covid.

ftfy

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol Cook’d and Bomb’d are doing some good:

https://twitter.com/thecriticmag/status/1472830630299934726

Feel like they’re showing us up, tbh.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Did Morris quit the IT crowd because Linehan was a prick or just because it was poo poo.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The western world has subsisted entirely on wishful/magical thinking and brushing things under the carpet for a long, long time now, and I'm not convinced even bodies piled in the streets will bring home the necessity of strong collective action to most people.

It is maddening and makes one feel like a madman, not least because if/when you do really notice how hosed things are and start trying to sound the alarm, you are gaslit by capital, politicians, the media, and even your own friends and family into believing that the problem is with you.

We live in a literally mentally abusive society. Maintaining one's moral sanity under neoliberalism is a full time job, and everyone already works too hard, too long, and for too little at their regular full time job to have time for it

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Fakename posted:

[snip]

This has somehow just reminded me of when the UKMT discovered that other website that was basically a parallel-universe UKMT, that I now forget the name of.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Surprise T Rex posted:

This has somehow just reminded me of when the UKMT discovered that other website that was basically a parallel-universe UKMT, that I now forget the name of.

Bread and Roses IIRC
Just found the login I made for it!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Sound Pound or something

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://twitter.com/thecriticmag/status/1472830630299934726

"Glincels" lmao

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Drowned in Sound, the site that Jared O'Mara posted on before becoming a mass murderer*

*reports may be exagerrated

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Surprise T Rex posted:

Do you mean Drowned in Sound, where a couple of Labour SPADs (and maybe even and MP?) had posted in the past but whose politics thread/forum was pretty much identical to ours, or the weird SEO bot site that took SA posts and added porn links and keywords?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The UKMT has more parallel universe plots than the average series of Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I though Jared Omara did all his bad posts on morrisseysolo?