Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009

It's from a Call of Cthulhu scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are those blotches next to South America spooky new islands, or coffee stains

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The book's prologue, that happens before the expedition, involves you defeating a giant living tub of human fat, which is buried under a pyarmid in Peru, so uh... it might have started leaking.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

steinrokkan posted:

It's the Island of the "GOD WATCHERS".

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Weyd posted:

The book's prologue, that happens before the expedition, involves you defeating a giant living tub of human fat, which is buried under a pyarmid in Peru, so uh... it might have started leaking.

the gently caress? Did Dean Koontz write this? Was everything a supernatural plot yet also all the fault of liberals? Did a dog save the day?

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

the gently caress? Did Dean Koontz write this? Was everything a supernatural plot yet also all the fault of liberals? Did a dog save the day?

I'm gonna err on the side of caution and spoiler this in case somebody doesn't want to read early Masks of Nyarlahotep spoilers or mildly icky descriptions. Father of Maggots is an avatar of a cosmic god that has been imprisoned in an ancient pyramid in modern day Peru. The book itself describes it as "a monstrous, seething mass that appears to be made entirely of rancid fat, roiling with unnatural life. Its iridescent surface writhes with maggots and larvae crawling in and out of its substance. It extrudes unstable pseudopods that drip festering white fluid, or sprays fluid out in exploding pustules."

Everything was going well until the spanish conquistadors arrived and, naturally, proceeded to release the ancient evil by dismantling a part of the golden ward that kept the creature imprisoned. The conquistadors got cursed in the process and turned into essentially immortal fat-sucking vampires who spend their days wandering the wilderness in colonial era garments and ambushing unwary travellers by giving them unwanted liposuctions through their chest cavities. Once a vampire is full with fat, they go back to the pyramid and vomit all the fat out through the crack in the ceiling to feed their master. The vampires multiply by voring one of the maggots that writhes in the Father's fat and transferring it to the victim through a "kiss".

Sadly, the resolution to the scenario is fairly straight-forward. The players get tricked into going on an expedition to the pyramid by a wealthy socialite smack addict who is mind-controlled by a cosmic god, with the aim of dismantling the rest of the golden ward around the pyramid. The players realize that something is not right and end up fixing the part of the ward, that was dismantled by the conquistadors, instead. The fat vampires die promptly after doing that.

To be fair, the cosmic horrors being incomprehensibly alien to the human mind is true to the source material.

To stay slightly on-topic, I like how the map becomes more half-assed the further you get from the expedition line. Finland has apparently annexed the Estonian islands and turned them into a single land mass with a road connection.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A low resolution map of sometime in the 800s CE? I don't see anything obviously wrong with it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Saharan Ghana?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
West Sahara is "no data" as it should be.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Albino Squirrel posted:

Saharan Ghana?

More likely than you think

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Koramei posted:

Wonder where they're getting Eskimo-Aleut and Yukaghiric coming from the Korean peninsula from. Korea's paleolithic is pretty understudied still and I think who the inhabitants were/what became of them is still pretty much unresolved, let alone what language group they might have spoken.

On the subject of the farming-language dispersal hypothesis though, from the paper "Archaeolinguistic evidence for the farming/language dispersal of Koreanic" here's few maps of hypotheses. I think I posted this a while ago already but

I think the paper claims Jeulmun pottery is similar to the style of pottery found by the "Eskimo-Aleut-Yukaghiric" region? And maybe something about haplogroup N. I didn't read all the thing.

That paper also claims the Yamnaya (almost always considered Proto-Indo-European) were Uralic which is probably very :psyduck: for most anthropologists.

The proto-Korean-Japonic looks somewhat plausible. It's a pretty recent study isn't it?

latent lunatic
Sep 5, 2018

Negostrike posted:

That paper also claims the Yamnaya (almost always considered Proto-Indo-European) were Uralic which is probably very :psyduck: for most anthropologists.

Unless you're pre-2021 Carlos Quiles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Count Roland posted:

A low resolution map of sometime in the 800s CE? I don't see anything obviously wrong with it.

I just really like good historical maps, there's not really much wrong with it.

Here's a more provocative map.

:argh: Delaware!

We must aspire to the purity of New Zealand.

Also I wonder how much higher on the list the UK would be if you added it with Guernsey and Jersey.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 20, 2021

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Weyd posted:

To stay slightly on-topic, I like how the map becomes more half-assed the further you get from the expedition line. Finland has apparently annexed the Estonian islands and turned them into a single land mass with a road connection.

Even at minimal zoom-in I enjoyed JAPANES EMPIRE.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Here's one that's making the rounds today.

https://i.imgur.com/Xxu6zc7.mp4

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Could be that, could be

:ohdear:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Powered Descent posted:

Here's one that's making the rounds today.

https://i.imgur.com/Xxu6zc7.mp4

LOL in a functioning country it definitely shouldn’t say power outage that often

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Honj Steak posted:

LOL in a functioning country it definitely shouldn’t say power outage that often

That's storms and other weather events downing lines, not random third world style outages.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grape posted:

That's storms and other weather events downing lines, not random third world style outages.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Harsh weather, especially unexpected weather, will take down power in places. It's not the end of the world. This is the result of the population being spread out across an entire continent instead of piled into a few big cities that can station its power plants nearby with tens of redundant powerlines.

Of course, the Texas outages specifically were entirely preventable and the result of absolute trash government.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Someone's never actually been to third world countries where the power just kinda goes off and on huh.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's the Texas (and California but maybe the big fire was last year?) outages that were 100% preventable. It's the same third world complete lack of governance thanks to corruption problem, just with a higher base level of service and called something else because :911:

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

map of Ethiopia according to different groups of nationalists

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

That's the Texas (and California but maybe the big fire was last year?) outages that were 100% preventable. It's the same third world complete lack of governance thanks to corruption problem, just with a higher base level of service and called something else because :911:

I mean by that metric then basically the entire world is third world. Western Europe is having a hell of a crunch right now between not having enough gas for heating and a bunch of issues with power plants. I don't think we'll lose power (unless there's a major storm or something - unlikely as Europe doesn't really do inclement weather) but it'll be crazy expensive, e.g.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-16/eu-power-markets-face-precarious-january-as-supply-risks-mount

or here's "third world Austria": https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/10/27/austrian-minister-warns-of-possible-power-outage-across-europe/

Granted both of those are near-term theoretical, but there's a pretty big world of difference between the US and say, Lebanon, although Lebanon is likely the world's worst offender for the relationship between a country's general development (generally pretty developed, at least prior to them blowing up Beirut and the unrelated currency collapse) versus its power grid (Congo-level-bad).

Storms in the US are absolutely crazy compared to Europe and, like Lebanon blaming everything on what Israel did 15 years ago, it's a fine mix of bullshit for being lazy/corrupt, and truth. Hopefully Lebanon is finally waking up to that being a bullshit excuse, now that they've seen their own politicians set off a bigger bomb and destroy more of Beirut more than any invader ever has. Didn't New Orleans also get a lot better after Katrina?

E2: https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2283946-french-edf-shuts-down-two-reactors-extends-outages "pushing the French January peak-load contract close to €1,000/MWh" good god, that's 10x the normal end-user electricity price.. so I guess anyone using French electricity can expect their bills to go up by 20x+ this winter.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 21, 2021

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

South Africa had really bad issues with its power despite being quite developed in most ways. Probably the problems persist-- it was organizational incompetence and corruption that caused the issues.

I was looking for an outage map but found this instead:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Count Roland posted:

South Africa had really bad issues with its power despite being quite developed in most ways. Probably the problems persist-- it was organizational incompetence and corruption that caused the issues.

I was looking for an outage map but found this instead:

Afghanis have a ~95-100% access to electricity? They must be using a pretty liberal definition of what "access" means, but I couldn't easily find their methodology.

I do indeed see them list that ( https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.ELC.ACCS.ZS?locations=AF ) and I know Afghanistan got a ton of development in the last 20 years, but 98% access to electricity seems... unlikely.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

Storms in the US are absolutely crazy compared to Europe
Excluding major events, the average electricity customer in the US experiences a little under 2 hours of disruption per year. This is roughly on-par with Czechia, Bulgaria and Latvia (also excluding exceptional events), and thus we can conclude that the US is an Eastern European country.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Albino Squirrel posted:

Saharan Ghana?

Bonus:

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Excluding major events, the average electricity customer in the US experiences a little under 2 hours of disruption per year. This is roughly on-par with Czechia, Bulgaria and Latvia (also excluding exceptional events), and thus we can conclude that the US is an Eastern European country.

Averaging across the US is kind of cheating. It's closer to 2-3 days a year in Oklahoma. We had a 3 week completely avoidable outage last year because they cut the line maintenance budget and gave out big dividends to stockholders. Ice storms aren't "major events. They're predictable and regular weather.

Leviathan Song fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 21, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

The Texas power outages that were already mentioned as being incredibly stupid because Texas is not connected to the US grid, and which didn't affect east and west Texas which are?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Leviathan Song posted:

Averaging across the US is kind of cheating. It's closer to 2-3 days a year in Oklahoma. We had a 3 week completely avoidable outage last year because they cut the line maintenance budget and gave out big dividends to stockholders. Ice storms aren't "major events. They're predictable and regular weather.

What sort of ice storms are we talking about here? When I think of an ice storm I think freezing rain that creates a buildup of ice on... things. This tends to bring down powerlines and trees. All the bad ice storms I've been in resulted in at least some loss of power. There's the famous Quebec Ice Storm of 2008 which did incredible damage.

E typo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I live in fear of someday experiencing a repeat of the 1991 ice storm in Rochester NY, but as an adult with responsibilities instead of as a kid watching GI Joe on a battery-operated TV

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Well, today I learned about this! Thank you!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Thank God they provided the critical Saarland data

E: Also how do you eat 500g of potatoes every day without killing yourself

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

That's Luxembourg, which, in open defiance of common sense, is still a country.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

The potatos are being drunken, not eaten.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Portugal used to show higher relative other latins, or am I misremembering? I mean they still are but I thought the difference between them and Spain would be higher.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

the kosovan keeps their potato consumption a secret. potatos are like sex politics and religion never to be spoken about in polite mixed company