Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I found it tedious to use, I actually prefer manually placing building with the Find It! mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
When you set up a custom district style from workshop assets, are you supposed to turn off the individual assets in your content manager or leave them on? I set up a custom district style with a bunch of Quad buildings, but my european style buildings on an established map are randomly popping up into futuristic high rises even when all the districts are set to Default. Even buildings that have been level 5 for hours and hours of play are randomly "upgrading" for some reason.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So hopping back into this game after a few years away, and I'm running into a lot of road weirdness that I can't figure out how to fix. Just making a regular grid area to get the city started, and this keeps happening, sometimes where there is no slope at all, but more common where there is at least some slope.

Sometimes deleting the roads and rebuilding them fixes it, but of course I lose money and zoning every time I do it and it's incredibly common. I'm probably re-placing at least 1/4 of my roads when built because of this. Cars won't path through this so I end up with entire blocks burning down when the fire trucks can't get to the fire.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? I have what seems to be a pretty 'typical' set of mods installed, and the following ones are road related:
TP:ME
P and B pavement+
Fine Road Anarchy 2.02
Network Extensions 2

Is this likely a Mod issue, or is it a known thing in the game these days?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm not an expert but it looks like something involving Road Anarchy being switched on when it shouldn't be

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not an expert but it looks like something involving Road Anarchy being switched on when it shouldn't be

Yeah it’s that

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks. I didn't turn it on, at least not on purpose, but I shall check that when I load it back up.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Turn node snapping back on in road anarchy otherwise it the game does not assume you want to connect roads.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I haven't played in a hot minute and it seems like they really amped up the algorithm for how easily citizens get sick, or lowered the threshold for pollution to cause sickness.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

frogge posted:

I haven't played in a hot minute and it seems like they really amped up the algorithm for how easily citizens get sick, or lowered the threshold for pollution to cause sickness.

Did you put a water tower over polluted ground, by chance

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

My fire department is so stupid. I mean I know I have some traffic problems, but the lane in front of the closest fire station is empty, and it's literally next door to the building that burned to the ground with nothing in the way to get there. Clicking on the first station shows 1 of 6 engines in use. Where is that 1 engine? Who the hell knows, not anyplace remotely close to the fire station, not even in the industrial area the fire station is in.

With both of the marked buildings on fire, neither of the first stations pictured dispatched a truck... one finally showed up, from some far away fire-house after fighting through terrible traffic and by then one of the buildings burned down. I also have two helicopter stations and this area is within a watch-tower zone. A helicopter showed up after the building was gone and dropped some water on the rubble. Lol.

Also, fires seem so spread like crazy now. When I played before fires would rarely spread to another building, but now it seems like entire blocks get burning in just a few minutes after a fire starts and it takes a crazy amount of trucks showing up to eventually put the fires out, because by the time the trucks show up to the first fire, 2 or 3 other buildings are ablaze, and when the trucks from the first fire put that one out, they go home instead of working on the other fires right next door.

Also it was probably a graphical glitch, but at one point a fire-truck working on a fire was ablaze, and when the building fire was out, it drove away blazing merrily for several blocks.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

The Locator posted:

Also, fires seem so spread like crazy now. When I played before fires would rarely spread to another building, but now it seems like entire blocks get burning in just a few minutes after a fire starts and it takes a crazy amount of trucks showing up to eventually put the fires out, because by the time the trucks show up to the first fire, 2 or 3 other buildings are ablaze, and when the trucks from the first fire put that one out, they go home instead of working on the other fires right next door.
It's because all your Cim firefighters have quit in protest over your draconian vaccine mandates.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wya-N7pM-g0

VR city building I guess? Also its exclusive to people who own a Quest 2

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

holy poo poo this was their big announcement, a VR port?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Also its exclusive to people who own a Quest 2

Gross

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Baronjutter posted:

Do you guys not have VR sets Quest 2?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I was interested until it was Quest 2 exclusive.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

This explains why there was a disclaimer saying that this was not the only project they were working on and that the previous announcement of a big project (aka sequel) was unrelated to this

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Been playing a bit and I have way too many assets, I want to get rid of some. If a building's already in my city and I unsub from the asset, does the game crash if I try to load the city or the building just vanish?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Been playing a bit and I have way too many assets, I want to get rid of some. If a building's already in my city and I unsub from the asset, does the game crash if I try to load the city or the building just vanish?

The latter. Straight-up unsubbing from roads etc. is a bad idea though; use RON to mass-replace your networks in saves first, and only then unsub.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koesj posted:

The latter. Straight-up unsubbing from roads etc. is a bad idea though; use RON to mass-replace your networks in saves first, and only then unsub.

Cool. Yeah I'm not touching actual mods, I updated all those before I started playing again, just yeeting old buildings that are adding nothing but loading time.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Don't forget the 20k tri, 4096x4096-textured traffic sign props.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Have some DLC to tide you over while they work on CS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQd8sz4naD4

Modular Airport Building: Place and design your airport, connecting its various buildings by using concourse networks

Airport Progression: If your airport gets the approval of business travelers and tourists alike, you’ll be rewarded with expanded building options and bigger airplanes, creating a boon for the local travel industry.

Public transport: Make life easier for would-be travelers by placing dedicated airport buildings, allowing you to connect your airport to the city through base game transport types like bus, metro, and train stations.

Cargo Air Traffic: Tired of hiding your cargo terminals by themselves on the outskirts of your city? Create cargo terminals that are connected to the larger airport complex that fit in visually with other airport buildings, eliminating the need for older eyesores while hauling in new goods and materials.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 11, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

MikeJF posted:

Modular Airport Building: Place and design your airport, connecting its various buildings by using concourse networks

Airport Progression: If your airport gets the approval of business travelers and tourists alike, you’ll be rewarded with expanded building options and bigger airplanes, creating a boon for the local travel industry.

Public transport: Make life easier for would-be travelers by placing dedicated airport buildings, allowing you to connect your airport to the city through base game transport types like bus, metro, and train stations.

Cargo Air Traffic: Tired of hiding your cargo terminals by themselves on the outskirts of your city? Create cargo terminals that are connected to the larger airport complex that fit in visually with other airport buildings, eliminating the need for older eyesores while hauling in new goods and materials.
Holy crap, they're still making more DLC! What is this, a Paradox game?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

:sigh: And I thought I was finally done having to wait a week plus for each of 38 mods to be updated and then uninstall the 7 of them that never get updated.

Except this time it's been so long that probably it'll be a lot more than 7 of them that turn out to be abandoned. Here's praying it's none of the really critical ones.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Bumping to follow this thread.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I realised that my not-10 year old laptop can now run this game so I was thinking about getting back into it but I only own After Dark so it's a daunting thing looking at all the DLC and wondering what to grab. My heart yearns for Mass Transit but I'm not sure if that's the best choice. Probably I should just play some games with no DLC and enjoy the process of slowly adding to my arsenal as I go through abandoning various cities.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

LeFishy posted:

I realised that my not-10 year old laptop can now run this game so I was thinking about getting back into it but I only own After Dark so it's a daunting thing looking at all the DLC and wondering what to grab. My heart yearns for Mass Transit but I'm not sure if that's the best choice. Probably I should just play some games with no DLC and enjoy the process of slowly adding to my arsenal as I go through abandoning various cities.

Wait for a sale first - they happen frequently

Mass Transit, Industries, and Parklife are generally the most suggested

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I saw a youtube video a few months back which used this game to tell a story about motorways being built through cities; talking about Mrs Johnson down the street and how the local bank won't lend to her. I'm not sure if it's part of a series or if it was just a one off. Does anyone know the video I'm talking about?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beartaco posted:

I saw a youtube video a few months back which used this game to tell a story about motorways being built through cities; talking about Mrs Johnson down the street and how the local bank won't lend to her. I'm not sure if it's part of a series or if it was just a one off. Does anyone know the video I'm talking about?

a dozen goons wistfully look off in the distance and mutter "franklin..."

(It's donoteat01's franklin/power politics and planning series, both are done in the context of a fake philadelphia made in CS, franklin focusing more on the growth of american cities (Again, philly centric) and PPP on more modern topics that he got impatient waiting for. it's mostly done now, as he has moved on to working on his podcast)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseaKBPkRPU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

(It's donoteat01's franklin/power politics and planning series, both are done in the context of a fake philadelphia made in CS, franklin focusing more on the growth of american cities (Again, philly centric) and PPP on more modern topics that he got impatient waiting for. it's mostly done now, as he has moved on to working on his podcast)

I miss those series. WTYP is good but it's just not the same.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Beartaco posted:

I think you might have seen one of the videos from the series by "A City Planner Plays". He does this sort of thing in at least a couple of his ongoing series (Verde Beach and Clearwater County).

https://www.youtube.com/c/CityPlannerPlays

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

MikeJF posted:

In the middle of thinking, "Hey, why can't they do this for seaports t-" I realized that they will and it will be another DLC.

Are they actually working on a CS2?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

This is the one, thank you!

The Locator posted:

I think you might have seen one of the videos from the series by "A City Planner Plays". He does this sort of thing in at least a couple of his ongoing series (Verde Beach and Clearwater County).

https://www.youtube.com/c/CityPlannerPlays

This is the one I thought it was and ended up watching a bunch of to try to find the specific video I was after. Still a good recommendation though!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fabulousity posted:

Are they actually working on a CS2?

No announcement, but they are working on a game and the pace of DLC slowed way down so everyone assumes they've moved on to CS2.

Please have regions. I have a long wishlist but region play is at the top. I dearly love SC4 but would love a modern citybuilder to be better, and without regions you're instantly and forever beneath SC4.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This is the part where I admit on a Skylines thread that I'm not really into individual agents and really just want 3D SimCity 4 + NAM with a modern UI that doesn't hurt to use.

Actually I don't even really need 3D, just to not be nailed to a grid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The agents are unnecessary and hold the game back, yeah. I can't see them getting rid of entirely, the detailed loving around with traffic/setting transit lines/etc is pretty major to the Skylines style and I'm fine with that, but more abstraction so we can have big cities would be nice.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
They hired one of the modders who did all kinds of cool stuff so I've got some hopes about that sequel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The agent modelling for cims and traffic is the fundamental way that the game operates, it's not really something you can abstract away without basically starting over from scratch.

They could maybe not use agents for seagulls, though. And honestly they could fake some of the population numbers.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
It'd just be good to mix up things a little, imo. So your cities don't have to start with the exact same 'here is a highway junction; now place some green, blue and yellow areas and build a road that links them; now build a power station and place power lines; now build water pumps and place water pipes; fast-forward until you unlock the actual fun stuff that's nice to look at so you can demolish everything you started with anyway' process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is the part where I admit on a Skylines thread that I'm not really into individual agents and really just want 3D SimCity 4 + NAM with a modern UI that doesn't hurt to use.

:yossame:

It’s never gonna happen, but we can dream.