Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Most recent Omicron spread data posted in DK

The data is still coming for the last couple days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

freebooter posted:

If you want a good laugh at how divided Australia's states have become: in South Australia and Western Australia the sale and use of rapid tests is illegal.

It's illegal to take a rapid test at home and do nothing else with it? That's insane. If it was illegal to try and use the test result for things then I would understand.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

droll posted:

It's illegal to take a rapid test at home and do nothing else with it? That's insane. If it was illegal to try and use the test result for things then I would understand.

... If you're brave enough, sure.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

freebooter posted:

If you want a good laugh at how divided Australia's states have become: in South Australia and Western Australia the sale and use of rapid tests is illegal.

From an outbreak control perspective, one of the biggest problems with rapid tests is that people use them instead of PCR testing. My guess for their reasoning is that if you have very low prevalence and adequate test-and-trace capacity, that means that if you let people rapid test at home there's a decent chance they'll never report a positive result unless they have to actually see a doctor, and thus never enter the contact tracing system. Of course there's a trade-off between encouraging people to test through official channels so they enter the tracing system and having people never enter the system because they never tested in the first place. For that you really need to incentivize people to test and make quarantine as painless as possible (I don't know how WA and SA are doing on that front).

Also, lateral flow positive predictive value is also very bad when prevalence is very low. (It's also not great when prevalence is high, and negative predictive value becomes problematic too)

E: On the data side, widespread at-home testing is going to make our stats even less comparable this time around. It's bullshit that there's no incentive system to get people to submit test results. Since we're making people pay for tests it would be so, so easy to offer some kind of monetary incentive to upload your result via a photo through an app. Response rate would still be poo poo in chud regions, but their surveillance data is already not great.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 21, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The issue with PCR testing here right now is that it's exceptionally inconvenient and even if you're not positive, you're in an environment where there's, by definition, a lot of people who think they might be positive and judging by the stats here about 8% of them are correct.

I'd much rather act under the assumption that I have COVID, than possibly expose myself to that (and go through the hassle of lining up for a test) if I'm not. Oh, woe is me, I have to stay home and watch movies for 10 days... the horror! I'm lucky enough I can afford that easily, so, why would I get an official test and put myself out while potentially exposing myself or others?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

A funny observation I just had: they should just let Netflix take control of the COVID pandemic,
given they never let anything run past three
seasons.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

PT6A posted:

The issue with PCR testing here right now is that it's exceptionally inconvenient and even if you're not positive, you're in an environment where there's, by definition, a lot of people who think they might be positive and judging by the stats here about 8% of them are correct.

I'd much rather act under the assumption that I have COVID, than possibly expose myself to that (and go through the hassle of lining up for a test) if I'm not. Oh, woe is me, I have to stay home and watch movies for 10 days... the horror! I'm lucky enough I can afford that easily, so, why would I get an official test and put myself out while potentially exposing myself or others?

Yeah, if testing capacity isn't there and cases are taking off (which looks like SA but not WA so far?) then restricting at-home testing makes no sense. Most places in the US have drive-through testing now, which makes it easy to limit exposure to just heathcare workers. Turn-around can still be poo poo if labs are overloaded.

Also on the US side, quarantining is often a luxury because even where it's technically what you are required to do, all of our emergency worker protections for time off (pay or not getting fired) expired and our fancy Democrat-controlled Congress couldn't be assed to renew them. Plus some states have now made it illegal to require isolation or quarantine. :shrug:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mawarannahr posted:

That was an unwise thing to do, in my opinion. Get a salad next time instead of the burger, I wouldn’t want you keeling over from a heart attack!

he should at least get a cheeseburger so he gets the added protection fromt he cheese slices

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

freebooter posted:

How much do rapid tests cost in other countries? It was $50 for 5 tests here but those packs have sold out at the pharmacies and I just shelled out 30 bucks for a mere 2 tests at the supermarket.

About 3€ per test at the supermarket. Also, getting these rapid tests done at a test centre (local pharmacies and other places) is paid by the state again, so that's a free option.

A PCR-test is a bit more of a hassle. Unless you have valid cause for suspicion (certified positive test of a close person, or a pop-up in the state corona warning app, after you were close to someone infected for a while) you have to shell out 60€ for those.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
They're free in my neck of the woods in Wisconsin. Looks like there's a 4 day wait list for binax or pcr test though. Last week it was 2 days. There's still pharmacies in nearby small towns I can get them tomorrow though. Drive through test, so fairly safe.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So how long will it be until we actually reach the peak of Omicron? I have a bad feeling that because no one wants to do lockdowns again, it won't be for months

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Willo567 posted:

So how long will it be until we actually reach the peak of Omicron? I have a bad feeling that because no one wants to do lockdowns again, it won't be for months

That’s not how flattening the curve works.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Willo567 posted:

Any "lockdown" that's achievable in most places is probably not capable of reducing Rt below 1 with Omicron, the starting point is just so high. You can reduce it, but it would mostly have the effect of prolonging the wave by giving it a more gentle curve, instead of the practically vertical ones we see without restrictions. Ultimately less people would be infected, but in Omicron's case, lockdowns would make the wave longer, not shorter.

That doesn't mean they're bad and we shouldn't do them - one of the biggest dangers with Omicron is that it spreads so fast that it has the potential to overwhelm healthcare systems very quickly, and at the point where the healthcare systems are overwhelmed, countries have basically no ability to respond (since 2-4 weeks of hospital / ICU admissions quadrupling is already baked in).

Ontario's science table admitted as much with their latest modelling, even with a harsh circut breaker lockdown (which we fell very short of with our limited restrictions), the goal would be to "blunt" the wave, not flatten it.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

enki42 posted:

Ontario's science table admitted as much with their latest modelling, even with a harsh circut breaker lockdown (which we fell very short of with our limited restrictions), the goal would be to "blunt" the wave, not flatten it.

We're almost certainly getting the "real restrictions" after the holidays just like last year. Doug Ford ran up to the cottage to get away from anti maskers so its completely inappropriate to ask why he can't do it right now.

his daughter is one of the most vocal anti mask influencers in Ontario, and her husband quit a 150k cop job because vaccine bad

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Omicron lining up with the biggest holiday of the year seems less than ideal.

Are the Binax tests just a mouth swab or do you have to scrape your brain like the ones I've had done? Not sure I can do that to myself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bellmaker posted:

Are the Binax tests just a mouth swab or do you have to scrape your brain like the ones I've had done? Not sure I can do that to myself.

Neither.

They go up the nose, but just inside the nostril, not to “brain tickler” depth.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I have had some modest luck at local CVS/Walgreens just asking the staff what day the new shipments come in and going that day.

Also, my mom lives in Houston and loving nobody there is buying tests so they are in stock everywhere with no per person purchase limits. This says a lot about Texas but my point is if you have relatives in the south they can probably buy and ship you tests faster than you can get them yourself.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
this "brain scrape" poo poo is the same as calling masks "face diapers" or whatever. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world but it's a necessary step towards safety. Grow up

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Riptor posted:

this "brain scrape" poo poo is the same as calling masks "face diapers" or whatever. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world but it's a necessary step towards safety. Grow up

I love it, had my inferior turbinates removed a decade ago, go ahead and rummage around in there!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Riptor posted:

I feel like there is a definite throughline of there being a certain type of person who has to tell you about how their covid tests was some sort of unbelievable agony they barely survived then go on to tell you that they also were one of the unlucky ones that had every vaccine be the sickest they ever got and they almost died at every one.

Like both things potentially can happen to people, but there is a definite sort of guy that wants every routine slightly uncomfortable covid thing to be a story where they were the bravest toughest warrior. Which makes them endlessly hype up the negative aspects they were a tough little guy that didn't even cry once at.

(again, not to say no one didn't have real negative effects with either. Just a certain type of guy very clearly decided that hyping up how bad they are makes them cool. Or like the guy with extreme health anxiety that is gonna die every time they do anything covid related)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think for at home tests the gimmick is they are kinda a little hard to find so that guy will have to tell you they went to 45 stores searching high and low.

Like most covid stuff has discomfort around it but man there is a certain type of person that will play up how hard it's been on them specifically about every single little thing.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Riptor posted:

I think it's reasonable to not think you'd be capable of self-administering a deep nasal PCR test. I sure as gently caress couldn't. And while necessary, I think it's fair to say that they suck. I've had two cystoscopies in the past year and at least for me, the brain tickler PCR tests were more uncomfortable than those were.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Riptor posted:

The test is fine I’ve had several, but there’s no way I could do that to myself

enki42 posted:

I think it's reasonable to not think you'd be capable of self-administering a deep nasal PCR test. I sure as gently caress couldn't. And while necessary, I think it's fair to say that they suck. I've had two cystoscopies in the past year and at least for me, the brain tickler PCR tests were more uncomfortable than those were.

Yeah this

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bellmaker posted:

The test is fine I’ve had several, but there’s no way I could do that to myself

:agreed:

Honestly, I've found the self-test nasal swab is usually more uncomfortable than having someone administer the nasopharyngeal swab.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not good!

https://twitter.com/stahlscott/status/1473298506890809355?s=21

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

PT6A posted:

For what it's worth, there's no reason it needs to be this way. I get PCR tested twice a week and I just swab my own nose, put it in a tube, and bring it to a drop-off box. Areas that have their poo poo together have outdoor tents or trucks in parking lots. I understand that because we live in hell, though, the process will continue to be stupid and inconvenient for most people.

Also, the "brain scrape" isn't necessary anymore. Just the inside of the nostril.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Platystemon posted:

That’s not how flattening the curve works.

I'm a moron, but I thought having lockdowns and getting vaccinated, plus masking and social distancing were essential in flattening the curve

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Willo567 posted:

I'm a moron, but I thought having lockdowns and getting vaccinated, plus masking and social distancing were essential in flattening the curve

All those things push the peak into the future.

If we fail to do them, the peak is imminent and steep.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Still not sure why the spit-in-a-tube PCR test hasn't gotten more widespread use compared to the deep nasal swabs.

It's how my kids test at school, and how we tested my older one last week.

Maybe it's just Illinois pride in the U of I Shield Test? Not sure.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Willo567 posted:

The point is that doing those things and flattening the curve prolongs the wave. Without those interventions a highly contagious epidemic will tear through a population quickly, infecting a huge proportion of them simultaneously and burning itself out once they all develop immunity (and/or death.) Flattening the curve means fewer people are infected at once (easing the burden on healthcare providers) and it takes longer for it to get through everyone.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
IIRC it can also mean less people get infected total, but I haven't actually seen the math worked out for that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I tried to get tested in a drive-through parking lot yesterday because every other testing site had lines around the block. Waited about fifteen minutes and got about halfway through the line before they sent someone car-to-car to let us know that the we needed to log into a website and pay $75 per test. That seemed remarkably scummy to me. Needless to say, we drove off without getting tested and are just isolating for two weeks. Had to reschedule our booster and miss Christmas with my dad. Season’s greetings.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OddObserver posted:

IIRC it can also mean less people get infected total, but I haven't actually seen the math worked out for that.

It means that less people experience severe outcomes. Partly because the healthcare system is less overwhelmed with a flat curve and is better able to care for the COVID cases it gets, and partially because delaying cases gives the health system more time to figure out how to better treat the disease and produce medications and vaccines.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OddObserver posted:

Less overshoot after reaching herd immunity, basically.

The wave is on its decline when each case causes on average less than one subsequent infection, but that can still be a long chain with a lot of people sickened along the way.

e: Bergstrom explains it well.

https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1378741102476337155

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 21, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Phylodox posted:

I tried to get tested in a drive-through parking lot yesterday because every other testing site had lines around the block. Waited about fifteen minutes and got about halfway through the line before they sent someone car-to-car to let us know that the we needed to log into a website and pay $75 per test. That seemed remarkably scummy to me. Needless to say, we drove off without getting tested and are just isolating for two weeks. Had to reschedule our booster and miss Christmas with my dad. Season’s greetings.

We've basically slammed into a brick wall on testing capacity here. Ottawa's PHU has told people that if they have symptoms, just assume you have COVID and stay home, and is considering limiting testing to only healthcare workers and vulnerable groups. The backlog to just get an appointment is a week out in most places. I just checked Hamilton where I am and you can't even book, there's zero appointments available.

Basically case numbers are going to be complete garbage from here on out.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
US finally has an omicron death: https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/omicron-variant-coronavirus-news-12-21-21-intl/h_4b2c2a65d6e94951dc987c52a4dd27f0

European Union still reports none

England has 7

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Does higher transmissibility render any "mildness" moot?

https://twitter.com/SteveMillerOC/status/1472642860176400387

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's not moot to anyone who would have had a worse outcome with another variant. It is moot in the specific content of load on the healthcare system.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Judakel posted:

Does higher transmissibility render any "mildness" moot?

https://twitter.com/SteveMillerOC/status/1472642860176400387

If it's more transmissible than Delta but has less severe outcomes than Delta, then that's better than being more transmissible but just as severe.

It may or may not lead to just as many people hospitalized (depending on exactly how transmissible, exactly how much "mildness", exactly how many people have been vaccinated, and so on). But even if the result is "just as many people hospitalized", that's still worlds better than "even more people hospitalized". There's nothing moot about that distinction, and people really need to stop reaching for excuses to blow away nuance like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What would interest me would be finding out if it's less severe on the unvaccinated because in the US they are the primary driver of Covid wreaking havoc on our healthcare system. If it's better for vaccinated people, great, but the problem right now for us is the massive amounts of dipshits who still refuse to get vaxxed.