Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just did my first offline raid in like a year to play around with a gun and I had NO IDEA that scavs just randomly popped off shots so often. I was hearing them all the way across the map and it was pretty frequent. I wonder how many times I've changed my route to avoid PMCs on the way out of a raid but it was just bots being dumbasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Looks like the auth bot on the discord is dead

Does anyone know how to get authed for it now?

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

AHH F/UGH posted:

Looks like the auth bot on the discord is dead

Does anyone know how to get authed for it now?

only coolbois get to chat in tarkov discord

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I just did my first offline raid in like a year to play around with a gun and I had NO IDEA that scavs just randomly popped off shots so often. I was hearing them all the way across the map and it was pretty frequent. I wonder how many times I've changed my route to avoid PMCs on the way out of a raid but it was just bots being dumbasses.

You kinda get used to the random sniper potshots and the bot stuck shooting randomly in the gas station on customs

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Of course the entire Tarkov network crashes when I'm extracting with Jaeger's last pack of croutons.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jaeger hates you so much he’ll bring down the entire game just to see you suffer.

soupy.
Jun 2, 2019

Hello everyone; new poster to the thread with a hardware question here.
My coworker, who is currently PC-less, has gotten me into Tarkov. I'm going to be basically rebuilding a new PC, so I figured I would sell them mine (minus my graphics card and SSD that I will be keeping) so they'd be able to play as well.

This is what I'm running:
CPU - Intel i7-4770 @3.4GHz
GPU - GTX 1080
RAM - 32gig DDR3
And I have have the game running on an SSD.

I seem to run the game fine after following a guide on Youtube. I get 65-85 frames in day time with no stutters, while getting 45 and sometimes down to 30 frames at night time... but no still no stutters. If I didn't have an FPS counter on I don't think I would've noticed the difference in frames?

-----
My question is: should I upgrade the CPU for them, or would the i7-4770 be enough? And what kind of graphics card would they be looking at getting. I have a 1080 (that I'll be keeping), but from the videos I've watched it sounds like this game is more CPU-intensive. I have little knowledge about hardware parts and performance, so it would be very helpful if someone could point me into the right direction of if my CPU is good and what GPU works just fine and wouldn't break the bank for them.
-----

Thank you in advance!
I really wanna help them and wasn't sure where to ask this question. I haven't had too much time to test everything out and I don't wanna give them something that doesn't run the one game they will be playing.

EDIT: I should've said this earlier. I'm selling the PC for $100.

soupy. fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 20, 2021

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

soupy. posted:

Hello everyone; new poster to the thread with a hardware question here.
My coworker, who is currently PC-less, has gotten me into Tarkov. I'm going to be basically rebuilding a new PC, so I figured I would sell them mine (minus my graphics card and SSD that I will be keeping) so they'd be able to play as well.

This is what I'm running:
CPU - Intel i7-4770 @3.4GHz
GPU - GTX 1080
RAM - 32gig DDR3
And I have have the game running on an SSD.

I seem to run the game fine after following a guide on Youtube. I get 65-85 frames in day time with no stutters, while getting 45 and sometimes down to 30 frames at night time... but no still no stutters. If I didn't have an FPS counter on I don't think I would've noticed the difference in frames?

-----
My question is: should I upgrade the CPU for them, or would the i7-4770 be enough? And what kind of graphics card would they be looking at getting. I have a 1080 (that I'll be keeping), but from the videos I've watched it sounds like this game is more CPU-intensive. I have little knowledge about hardware parts and performance, so it would be very helpful if someone could point me into the right direction of if my CPU is good and what GPU works just fine and wouldn't break the bank for them.
-----

Thank you in advance!
I really wanna help them and wasn't sure where to ask this question. I haven't had too much time to test everything out and I don't wanna give them something that doesn't run the one game they will be playing.

This game will run on a 1070 or a 1650 or a 1660 or a 2060 basically, but below those it's gonna get challenging. It depends on the price of what you are gonna sell that computer with, because for some 800 to 1000 bucks you can get decent prebuilts. Newer processors especially are quite a loving long jump from a 4770.

Like this. It comes with an RTX 2060, which will be a big deal when DLSS comes to Tarkov hopefully soon-ish, but also other games with DLSS.
I'd get 8gb more memory though.
https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC...ctronics&sr=1-3

If you're selling at 200 dollars or something, then it's worth trying, but getting a new GPU is gonna set you back 300-400 bucks easily, at which point you are climbing towards the cost of an entry level prebuilt anyway at this point. Finding an RTX 2060 not in a prebuilt is gonna be like 500 bucks AT LEAST right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

This game will run on a 1070 or a 1650 or a 1660 or a 2060 basically, but below those it's gonna get challenging. It depends on the price of what you are gonna sell that computer with, because for some 800 to 1000 bucks you can get decent prebuilts. Newer processors especially are quite a loving long jump from a 4770.

Like this. It comes with an RTX 2060, which will be a big deal when DLSS comes to Tarkov hopefully soon-ish, but also other games with DLSS.

If you're selling at 200 dollars or something, then it's worth trying, but getting a new GPU is gonna set you back 300-400 bucks easily, at which point you are climbing towards the cost of an entry level prebuilt anyway at this point. Finding an RTX 2060 not in a prebuilt is gonna be like 500 bucks AT LEAST right now.

Yeah that pre built is probably the best someone will do in this market. That’s not the worst deal either.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
And while the RTX 2060 isn't the fastest card out there, it being RTX is a MASSIVE improvement in any game that allows DLSS like Cyberpunk, RDR2, Ready or Not, or anything with a DLSS. Nikita has repeatedly said DLSS isn't too far in Tarkov from now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thing is too that right now good luck finding any card for $500.

It’s a real hunt.

soupy.
Jun 2, 2019

Vahakyla posted:

Thank you a ton. I was going to set them up with a homie deal of $100, basically giving them the computer for free and "charging for labor" by adding any new parts (CPU [if necessary], GPU, SSD) to my current PC. They're getting the case as well.

They didn't set a price range for their build after I figure out what's necessary for them. They want to play Tarkov, and only Tarkov, with a hardware experience that doesn't take them out of the game.

I'll wait for what you think, or anyone else thinks, then get back to them. I don't know squat about this stuff, so you and this thread is a huge help. Thank you.

E: Didn't read the other comments in the thread relating to this topic until now. Hmm. Thank you for all being informative.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
In the end, you spend so much money on the GPU to get your old parts into play, that you are almost in the cost of that pre-built that I linked, at what point it's just a sunk cost fallacy of the old parts and throwing one small amount on top of it would get you a brand new computer.

Any other time getting some 200 dollar GPU on top of your old would do fine. With COVID? There's no such things, unless you get a 8 year old mid-range poo poo card.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah people are buying 1030s for $150 to use for the evga step up program.

I don’t even know what a $200-300 card would look like these days unless you got super lucky with a local buy or hook up.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
To give a little more context to what everyone else is saying…
Buying standalone video cards is a nightmare right now, between Covid and crypto mining the good cards are impossible to find at retail and that has put a pinch on all the value cards, so everything is super expensive.
OEMs are able to offer prebuilt systems with decent cards at more reasonable prices because they buy their cards on contract well ahead of time. So right now is one of the times where buying prebuilt systems is typically cheaper than building your own.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I spent six months trying to get a video card and managed it; the prebuilts aren't good deals anymore either, despite that being the common wisdom. It's true that you can still at least get them, they are in stock, but given how lucrative the resale value is if prebuilts were actually a good deal they'd be out of stock too, as the scalpers buy them en masse and resell the parts at a huge markup. The prebuilt vendors know this too, and are charging huge markups.

Your 1080 should run Tarkov fine. I was running it at 60 FPS with a 680, albeit at lower graphics (but definitely not potato mode). You will probably have to turn some stuff down or off, but it will still look good and run well.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I'm running it on a GTX 970 and there's been basically no issues.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

soupy. posted:

I seem to run the game fine after following a guide on Youtube.

what guide on youtube you use?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

I'm running it on a GTX 970 and there's been basically no issues.

The problem here is that to get a GTX 970 in North America, OP is looking to spend 250-300$ on Ebay. That’s the issue. For a card from september 2014. Add to that the price of a new SSD 100$, and cost of OP’s old computer of 100$ and you are at 500 bucks for a…

A computer from 2014. Yikes.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I have not had a chance to jump into this wipe yet, how is the shotgun revolver? Is the secondary mode on it worth it?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Mesadoram posted:

I have not had a chance to jump into this wipe yet, how is the shotgun revolver? Is the secondary mode on it worth it?

It has a secondary mode?
I got one as a scav and it didn't have any shells in it.

soupy.
Jun 2, 2019

pissinthewind posted:

what guide on youtube you use?

https://youtu.be/CnEnLdhU6Kg

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

The double barrel is super fun and I strongly recommend giving it a try.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

hello internet posted:

The double barrel is super fun and I strongly recommend giving it a try.

If you miss, you're dead, but if you don't miss, they're dead (unless they're wearing armor)

Does it handle leg meta well?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Umbreon posted:

If you miss, you're dead, but if you don't miss, they're dead (unless they're wearing armor)

Does it handle leg meta well?

I usually break peoples legs and then take cover to reload, reposition. It's obviously more difficult than using assault rifles but there's something super satisfying about shooting buckshot at people

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Which vendor sells the double barrel?

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
Jaeger. It's very cheap, though I've only managed to hit with it once (I'm very bad at aiming).

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

scavs tonight

:negative:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Dude I'm doing the no-armor quest, don't even loving start....

On the other hand: I won a fight on Customs Woods southeast today because the other guy had slapped a Hexagon on his ~45% condition AK-105 vs my SKS. I heard his Loudest Click and fired the winning shot while my friend blitzed his teammate.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 21, 2021

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shumagorath posted:

Dude I'm doing the no-armor quest, don't even loving start....

On the other hand: I won a fight on Customs today because the other guy had slapped a Hexagon on his ~45% condition AK-105 vs my SKS. I heard his Loudest Click and fired the winning shot while my friend blitzed his teammate.

Scavs: "That idiot is not wearing armor! I hope he likes magnum buck to the chest."

This is every time I try to do that quest.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 21, 2021

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So how has the game changed since I looked into this like a year ago? Is there anywhere I can see that will tell me what has changed in significant patches?

I've been looking to get this for quite a while but I how difficult it was put me off a little bit, but more importantly I want to know if cheating etc is a significant issue? How organised are goons in this?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Scavs: "That idiot is not wearing armor! I hope he likes magnum buck to the chest."

This is every time I try to do that quest.

The original "I hope he magnum buck to chest" felt more authentic to scav experience, somehow.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Wrr posted:

The original "I hope he magnum buck to chest" felt more authentic to scav experience, somehow.

It probably was, but when I woke up this morning and looked at what I posted again I couldn't bear to see that typo :smith:.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

It probably was, but when I woke up this morning and looked at what I posted again I couldn't bear to see that typo :smith:.

Internalized Scavophobia gets the best of all of us at times.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Allow me to share an interaction with questing on customs:

My buddy: Someone is hiding in that building(unknown hut for quest)
me: oh Ill just look through the window and shoot him

bop
I'm dead

My buddy: why would you look through the window?
Me: I wish I knew man.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Allow me to share an interaction with questing on customs:

My buddy: Someone is hiding in that building(unknown hut for quest)
me: oh Ill just look through the window and shoot him

bop
I'm dead

My buddy: why would you look through the window?
Me: I wish I knew man.

every goddamn day, dude. yesterday i was doing a solo pmc customs run. started by old gas, crept my way over to the chem building without attracting notice. swept the bottom floor, completely untouched, sweet. I go upstairs, sweep the chem room, it seems light on loot. i think i only found bandages. weird but both the other doors were closed. i've been keeping my ears peeled this whole time, my rat sense is tingling. no sounds though. i pop into the room with the bookshelves and filing cabinets (unlooted too). sweep the first library nook, nothing. sweep the second, looking from right corner to left corner, there's a pmc standing in the left corner. as i turn and see him, boom. single shot, head, eyes.

pmc's name was _RAT__ATTACK_, of course. dude never moved a muscle the whole time i was looting the building. if i had swept the room properly i'd probably have had him. i dont even think he was armored.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Good on him, I lose 100% of my fights in that situation. I hear someone in the library, I try to set up for a snipe and get killed every in time.

Sometimes even grenades can't save me.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I have lost a 1v1 with a scav AI on the customs bridge, and I rounded the corner at ZB-1011 and took a shotgun to the face after hearing shouting in Russian.

I tend to run customs a lot since it's the only map I can run without a map now. I am trying to scav on interchange and stuff but I get lost so easy.

I really don't care for woods, and I am being told I need to figure this map out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's like the high loot building until marked keys are around. You can't creep to it to find the good loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Gas Analzyers are craftable now

Only registered members can see post attachments!