Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

found this when i searched for tabby's star

fuckin lmao these people are self-parodying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a political entity capable of controlling star systems; abiding by some of the theories of "leave as little evidence as possible so the bigger bad doesn't beeline for your dyson swarm'ed star" dark forest type stuff, occasionally gathering and transferring energy from the stars, in patterns that look like anomalous noise at cursory glance, because that's the best one can do while also collecting energy on that scale?

that's where my mind goes. reading that stuff; i wouldn't go as far as to say I believe it, just that my mind goes that way when looking at what's been posted.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Riot Bimbo posted:

a political entity capable of controlling star systems; abiding by some of the theories of "leave as little evidence as possible so the bigger bad doesn't beeline for your dyson swarm'ed star" dark forest type stuff, occasionally gathering and transferring energy from the stars, in patterns that look like anomalous noise at cursory glance, because that's the best one can do while also collecting energy on that scale?

that's where my mind goes. reading that stuff; i wouldn't go as far as to say I believe it, just that my mind goes that way when looking at what's been posted.

maybe a political entity capable of controlling multiple star systems may not be as concerned about the 'dark forest type stuff'? at some point it seems like you are a big enough bully yourself the worry isnt there

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

haha, imagine having a type 2+ civilization as galactic neighbors, though they're on the opposite side of the milky way

tho 1400ly isn't an insurmountable distance in either time or speed I'd wager for a culture with the power of multiple stars at their disposal

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or maybe thinking in terms of violence and domination is why we're stuck on this rock beating one another with sticks while they're out they're Dyson swarming orion's belt and balls and whatever else

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tekne posted:

haha, imagine having a type 2+ civilization as galactic neighbors, though they're on the opposite side of the milky way

tho 1400ly isn't an insurmountable distance in either time or speed I'd wager for a culture with the power of multiple stars at their disposal

we're that one house with a skeletonized car on cinderblocks in the front yard and a BEWARE OF DOGS sign in an otherwise very nice neighborhood

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Got a link?

White paper's here:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2111.01208.pdf

Reddit thread I pulled that summary from here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/rjpjxx/possible_new_technosignatures_detected_in_a/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

blatman posted:

we're that one house with a skeletonized car on cinderblocks in the front yard and a BEWARE OF DOGS sign in an otherwise very nice neighborhood
we've turned earth into a condemned haunted house for sure

here's a chart of the stars showing the dimming effect

it'd be cool to see what the arrangement looks like if anyone knows how to input all that into a visual starchart

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

maybe its one of the very few, the first we would know of, dark matter factories and its in the mood to ramp up production

i LURVE the dyson sphere idea but thats all it is, the same sort of energy harvesting can likely be achieved through things like photosynthesis, or jigging the atmosphere of your target area this way or that. nanobots may turn out to be like math, every tech species find them, enough of those converting elements and eating waste to make more good poo poo could also.

another interesting idea ala HPL is that here on earth we have found life in pretty much all envirnoments? like lava and underneath terrible oceanic pressure, all over the land, under it, above it, a lot never ever seeing the sun or surface

why cant cosmic rays and stray elemental clouds be food for something? things capable of photosynthesis from Suns from light years away. the scale and age of such things this would imply is truly out there

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

such things could probably never enter atmospheres and would need to be careful around gravity wells, assuming they are mostly made of matter, but maybe we will find them when we finally start voyaging properly, like sailors discovering Blue Whales or giant squid

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

could be several things from totally prosaic to extremely wild

- these stars share a common origin including some weird starting ingredient that's causing weirdness in the fusion process. no idea what that would be and it would probably be new physics, but not necessarily aliens
- alien activity selectively absorbing specific wavelengths. apparently it can't be solid dyson collectors because the stars don't dim across all wavelengths as you would expect from big-rear end solar panels
- interstellar war; why bother with phasers or big cannons or whatever when you can just gently caress with stars?
- pnutty putting hats on their home stars
- Ra bustin'

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

This being the worst timeline, we will naturally have the scariest aspects of the 40k universe (among many others) be true in our material reality.

That's a damned C'tan out there.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Re. Ouija boards: almost all occultists I know are against their use, because, according to them, if it works at all, you never know who's currently using this open line. Could be a nearby deceased person (with varying levels of wisdom or malevolence), could be a positive entitiy, could als be one of the many parasitical spirits hovering around and living on our negative emotions.
Contact your local shaman under 1-800-ASTRAL-DONG for more save options to contact the spirit world (preferably one with an inbuilt ritual spam filter mechanism).

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

thread: ok the twitter alien is bs for sure
thread: time for ouija board ghost stories

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
that’s right

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

thread: ok the twitter alien is bs for sure
thread: time for ouija board ghost stories

yes, i think youre starting to get it

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
A perfect way for the P'nti twitter account to burn out: A post on Dec 22nd, saying: Yesterday, while landing, our diplomatic craft was attacked and destroyed by an Earth Human government/organization. You guys are not ready for OFC, gently caress this planet, we're out, peace.

Nobody will ever know if it was a grift or if we just witnessed the last chance for human survival wither on the vine.

But! This day is still not over!

SavageGentleman has issued a correction as of 11:14 on Dec 21, 2021

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
they're making a list
they're checkin it twice
they're gonna found out
who's p'nti or dies

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
ome on P'nuttys, I'm ready for firsct contact (if you know what I mean)!

SavageGentleman has issued a correction as of 11:19 on Dec 21, 2021

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I beat the base difficulty of Noita today so i feel like I am more or less ready for anything P'nut throws at me.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SavageGentleman posted:

ome on P'nuttys, I'm ready for firsct contact (if you know what I mean)!

lol never seen the 2nd page

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i think there were 4 or 5 of those iirc

rip pick

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tekne posted:

we've turned earth into a condemned haunted house for sure

here's a chart of the stars showing the dimming effect

it'd be cool to see what the arrangement looks like if anyone knows how to input all that into a visual starchart

One of the comments in the reddit thread is how to do that. He says it's compelling but I'm not taking the time.

This is super interesting and I hope they point James Webb at it immediately.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

D-Pad posted:

One of the comments in the reddit thread is how to do that. He says it's compelling but I'm not taking the time.

This is super interesting and I hope they point James Webb at it immediately.

they plotted them in the linked paper (inexact without more points of reference) but the stars are roughly contained within a 500pc volume of space and are all G and F class which is interesting to say the least! Webb is booked for a long time if it gets into orbit successfully, but researchers have not stopped trying to figure this out.

Considering they looked a large amount of sky data, having a concentration like that without it impacting any other non G or F stars between the affected stars from our point of reference seems incredibly unlikely. Also seems to rule out weird dust floating around between us and the stars in question messing up the view. Assuming they aren’t just misinterpreting data, I can’t think of and have not seen any explanation for “there’s a bunch of F and G class stars with odd dimming characteristics in a specific volume of space” beyond “ET is mining rocks/building dyson swarms/some other kind of big space tech thing”

edit: if this data is right I think it handily disproves the crumbling exoplanet theory. If that were so, why is this only happening in one small area of the sky around specific kinds of stars?

Also you have to remember there is a still a lot of woo woo stigma about ET and no one wants to be relegated to that section and be tarred with the quack brush. Every other alternate explanation will need to be exhausted first and they will keep looking for other data, which is good science anyways before you start going for fantastic explanations.

Nuclearmonkee has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Dec 21, 2021

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

SavageGentleman posted:

A perfect way for the P'nti twitter account to burn out: A post on Dec 22nd, saying: Yesterday, while landing, our diplomatic craft was attacked and destroyed by an Earth Human government/organization. You guys are not ready for OFC, gently caress this planet, we're out, peace.

Nobody will ever know if it was a grift or if we just witnessed the last chance for human survival wither on the vine.

But! This day is still not over!

What's meant to happen today? Can I/should I still go to the pub after work?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Also you have to remember there is a still a lot of woo woo stigma about ET and no one wants to be relegated to that section and be tarred with the quack brush. Every other alternate explanation will need to be exhausted first and they will keep looking for other data, which is good science anyways before you start going for fantastic explanations.

This is important. NDT brain happens in science, sure, but there are plenty of scientists that aren't. It's just that good science starts with more likely explanations and works its way out, and right now ETs are pretty drat unlikely. Suggesting it and not ruling it out is good, assuming it's true without proof other than "We can't think of any other explanation" is not.

Of course, the thread already knows this, I just want to make it clear that there's a bunch of grad students and profs looking at this thinking "It probably isn't aliens... but if it is and I prove it I will get triple-ultra-tenure."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Chris Pistols posted:

What's meant to happen today? Can I/should I still go to the pub after work?

No, but only because the pub is full of covid, not because Neon Peanut Evangelion is about to occur

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Barry Foster posted:

No, but only because the pub is full of covid, not because Neon Peanut Evangelion is about to occur

Very fair point. Seems I've got my answer from that twitter account, though:

https://twitter.com/SandiaWisdom/status/1473313812237504515

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I imagine a lot of scientists see that the question is just too difficult to answer right now.

It's impossible to prove with the information available to them. Even the best UFO footage and eye witness accounts are just that. Videos(which can be faked) and peoples recollection of events(which can be faked AND is unreliable even when it isn't). Unless they have access to some realTM ETs or a crashed tic tac etc. then there's not much point dedicating your life too it. It's like proving God's real.

The closest you'll get is astronomers and they DO keep an eye out for potential signs of ET's we just don't have any real evidence for that yet either. Hopefully the JW will pick up a dyson sphere or an interstellar dickbutt.

The astral projection stuff is wild and if you think you're fighting machine elves on the celestial plane, I've got a Psychic bridge to sell you.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

lolling really hard that eric weinstein joined the galileo project. lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

global tetrahedron posted:

lolling really hard that eric weinstein joined the galileo project. lol

they just let anyone in these days eh

that's disappointing lol

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
I love Eric Wareheim

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Log082 posted:

It's just that good science starts with more likely explanations and works its way out, and right now ETs are pretty drat unlikely.

no. ETs have an undeterminable probability because we know literally nothing about the distribution of life in the universe at large or even our neighborhood; we know nothing about how likely it is for life to become complex enough to create industrial society; we haven't surveyed more than a tiny section of sky for signs of technological life, either.

sorry but this drives me crazy every time i read it because we don't know the probabilities here. and if you were to try to assign a probability on the relatively few things we do know, estimated exoplanet numbers and the strong tendency for life on earth to evolve toward milestones such as multicellularity don't exactly point toward "pretty drat unlikely", either. saying "we don't know" is what the scientific community should be doing. saying "pretty drat unlikely" is making a number of assumptions that are resting on thin air.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Chris Pistols posted:

Very fair point. Seems I've got my answer from that twitter account, though:

https://twitter.com/SandiaWisdom/status/1473313812237504515

and will be, considering the entire globe at one instant spans all time zones

Happy Winter Solstice!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jazerus posted:

no. ETs have an undeterminable probability because we know literally nothing about the distribution of life in the universe at large or even our neighborhood; we know nothing about how likely it is for life to become complex enough to create industrial society; we haven't surveyed more than a tiny section of sky for signs of technological life, either.

sorry but this drives me crazy every time i read it because we don't know the probabilities here. and if you were to try to assign a probability on the relatively few things we do know, estimated exoplanet numbers and the strong tendency for life on earth to evolve toward milestones such as multicellularity don't exactly point toward "pretty drat unlikely", either. saying "we don't know" is what the scientific community should be doing. saying "pretty drat unlikely" is making a number of assumptions that are resting on thin air.

what gets me is that the only concrete knowns we have are 1) there is a 100% chance of life and intelligent life existing in the universe, because we are it, and 2) the universe is very very big and old. so if scientists are gonna conjecture then they should make stuff up with that in mind, not default to "naw it's probably not et because that's unlikely!

I read this book when I was a teenager and remember being convinced by its arguments that there is a 100% chance there is other intelligent life out there, wonder if it holds up

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/535228.Probability_1

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SavageGentleman posted:

Re. Ouija boards: almost all occultists I know are against their use, because, according to them, if it works at all, you never know who's currently using this open line. Could be a nearby deceased person (with varying levels of wisdom or malevolence), could be a positive entitiy, could als be one of the many parasitical spirits hovering around and living on our negative emotions.
Contact your local shaman under 1-800-ASTRAL-DONG for more save options to contact the spirit world (preferably one with an inbuilt ritual spam filter mechanism).

Just to riff on this a second, given the thread's interest in the hemisynch etc. and some posters concerns about what lay out there "on the astral plane". Some occult schools utilize similar techniques to train the mind to attain different states of consciousness using familiar (in this case) western philosophical contexts, since (assuming most ITT are western) its easier than having to learn entirely new philosophical frameworks like would be required of various eastern traditions. This approach to building up a specific mental map is meant to guard against meeting up with undesirables like riot bimbo is waging astral war against when unprepared.

Here is one such book that uses one particular approach to guided meditations: https://www.amazon.com/Highways-Min...896238106&psc=1

I cannot speak to its effectiveness (or indeed grounding in reality!) nor to the quality of the scholarly claims made by the author (claims of historical continuity made of various oral traditions and archaeological evidence are always lol and lmao). I can say she's a really nice person and has dedicated her life to this and believes it herself.

Also always take your meds.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Barry Foster posted:

lol
this is the theme song to that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9pl1q7s4mI

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

The most scholarly thread on the forums in the ideal sense which is it doesn't reflexively dismiss data incompatible with consensus even if it's likely garbage. true scientists all of you

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I'm currently bestowing degrees and PhDs in:
UAPs
Aliens (social and biology)
Astral plane studies
Cryptozoology
Deep earth (and water) studies
Remote viewing

At my advancement institute operating from my basement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Butternubs posted:

I imagine a lot of scientists see that the question is just too difficult to answer right now.

It's impossible to prove with the information available to them.

The reason they are bad scientists is they just dismiss it instead of going to look for more data! It's one of the most important questions in science. The Galileo Project is the exact right move.

Eric Weinstein is both better than his detractors say and worse than his ardent fans believe. His brother is a loving idiot though.