Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

BC announcing significant new restrictions today. My prediction: If you are unvaccinated and you leave your home to protest the new restrictions, the police will find you and give you an award. Also, the vaccinated aren't allowed to have a Christmas goose and taking rapid tests out of their packaging proved to be too hard so we aren't distributing those

They better be announcing I can get my loving booster shot already, too (they won't)

you can't get a booster in bc???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

mediaphage posted:

The government is going to phone us at some unspecified time in the future. It's loving wonderful.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ToxicAcne posted:

Is this rural dilapidation inevitable or is it because of neoliberal policies? I swear Scandinavian countries have a somewhat healthy countryside no?

I never read a follow up on it, but at the beginning of covid when everyone was working from home, Ireland would pay people to move out to small towns.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I got my booster yesterday and now I feel like I have a really bad cold. Hopefully it passes soon. But it it doesn't, still worth it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I never read a follow up on it, but at the beginning of covid when everyone was working from home, Ireland would pay people to move out to small towns.

italy was doing the same. as fibre and satellite internet increasingly become rural options it'll be more feasible for wfh to hit rural areas.

SilverMike posted:

The government is going to phone us at some unspecified time in the future. It's loving wonderful.

christ i know bc aint the wonderland people like to paint it as but i didn't think douggie f would be one up on it

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Is BC delaying because of the highway/logistic situation here, or is that and Abbotsford/Merritt distracting them?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Crow Buddy posted:

Is BC delaying because of the highway/logistic situation here, or is that and Abbotsford/Merritt distracting them?

It's because John Horgan is my posting nemesis

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/TomKhruisehchev/status/1473006429443289088

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Crow Buddy posted:

No when the highways closed they moved heaven and earth to reopen ASAP.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

It's because John Horgan is my posting nemesis

That guy

DynamicSloth posted:

No when the highways closed they moved heaven and earth to reopen ASAP.

Yeah thats what I mean, did all the destroyed highways and towns distract them because lmao if so.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Coxswain Balls posted:

Since you have Arizona plates I'm guessing you brought your car with you so I gotta ask if you got a block heater installed, because that might be why your battery is struggling. Even a lot of Canadians don't know what they are since they aren't necessary on the coasts or in Toronto.

I talked to someone this weekend who moved here from Ontario and previously lived in the US, and he thought my rent must be expensive because of how every parking spot has a power outlet for electric cars to plug into, and so many of the vehicles in the lot were plugged in to "charge".
It depends a lot on the car - some newer ones don't even have the option to install a block heater but may work nonetheless. I had a 2007 Mini that regularly froze up in -20 weather (lol :britain: and electrical design) until I had an aftermarket battery warmer put in. My 2015 Volvo, on the other hand, does not have a block heater, has no option for a block heater, parks in an unheated garage at home and outside at work, and has been absolutely bulletproof. Yay :sweden:

ToxicAcne posted:

Is this rural dilapidation inevitable or is it because of neoliberal policies? I swear Scandinavian countries have a somewhat healthy countryside no?
My understanding is that any developed country with a healthy countryside only does so with the help of a ridiculous amount of subsidies, whether from the EU or just from a hefty national tax base i.e. Norway.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

From my understanding it's not deliberate, just a natural thing people do. Basically since we developed agriculture, people migrate to larger communities. And since we can provide more food with less labour thanks to industrialization and automation, the rate that people abandon small communities increases too.

As said above, a government pretty much needs to subsidize rural communities if we still want them to exist - jobs, education, infrastructure, etc. Every time a person leaves a small town there's less political voice and less tax money to work with.

This of course excludes small communities of people who just want a big house on big land, but then still commute to the city.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mediaphage posted:

christ i know bc aint the wonderland people like to paint it as but i didn't think douggie f would be one up on it

bc has only looked good in this pandemic by having alberta as a neighbour

and even that low bar is debatable

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I got my booster yesterday and now I feel like I have a really bad cold. Hopefully it passes soon. But it it doesn't, still worth it.

congrats but i'm jealous, apparently i'm eligible "eventually" which probably means "after i've been dead for at least 6 months"

this province blows

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I got mine on Sunday, everyone will get one at their 6 month shot date.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

It depends a lot on the car - some newer ones don't even have the option to install a block heater but may work nonetheless. I had a 2007 Mini that regularly froze up in -20 weather (lol :britain: and electrical design) until I had an aftermarket battery warmer put in. My 2015 Volvo, on the other hand, does not have a block heater, has no option for a block heater, parks in an unheated garage at home and outside at work, and has been absolutely bulletproof. Yay :sweden:

My understanding is that any developed country with a healthy countryside only does so with the help of a ridiculous amount of subsidies, whether from the EU or just from a hefty national tax base i.e. Norway.

yeah our focus has been rock solid basically until this year (11 years now)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

My 2015 Volvo, on the other hand, does not have a block heater, has no option for a block heater, parks in an unheated garage at home and outside at work, and has been absolutely bulletproof. Yay :sweden:

I had an 85' Volvo that was mostly reliable, but the main thing I miss about it was how drat fast it heated up. Diving to work at -30 and it was pushing out hot air from the vents in a couple minutes.

Also had a 2004 Dakota that was unstoppable. It sat on my driveway for nearly three months without being used, and it started in winter no problems. I think that battery took 12 years to die - almost outlived the truck itself.

Now I've got a VW that I have to pop the hood and slap a trickle charger on to if I ever want it to start below -10 and never gets warm, no matter how long you drive. Oh and both the locks and door frame itself ice up like crazy, I basically have to crowbar it open some mornings.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

From my understanding it's not deliberate, just a natural thing people do. Basically since we developed agriculture, people migrate to larger communities. And since we can provide more food with less labour thanks to industrialization and automation, the rate that people abandon small communities increases too.

As said above, a government pretty much needs to subsidize rural communities if we still want them to exist - jobs, education, infrastructure, etc. Every time a person leaves a small town there's less political voice and less tax money to work with.

This of course excludes small communities of people who just want a big house on big land, but then still commute to the city.

It made sense for these town to exist when being a day's ride from the train station was important, but it doesn't anymore.

They should consolidate, and they are to a degree, but their consolidation should be more coordinated. Each and every hamlet of 200 shouldn't expect to have their own doctor when you can't even bribe a doctor to work there. We can't even bribe doctors to live in Slave Lake or Rocky Mountain House which are both actually pretty nice places for outdoorsy folk when they're not on fire.

When i am inevitably Supreme Overlord of Alberta, i will take a three pronged approach to these small towns.

1. Fund relocation of people who simply want to exist but can't afford to leave. If you have a doctor's appointment every 3 days, you shouldn't be living 200km from a doctor
2. Annex every quarter section touching each town and every quarter section touching those. Tie 20 acres for sustenance farming to each dwelling to attract people who want to do so.
3. Re-purpose the now useless pipeline network into human/goods transporting pneumatic tubes and Augustus Gloop people where they need to go.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Powershift posted:

1. Fund relocation of people who simply want to exist but can't afford to leave. If you have a doctor's appointment every 3 days, you shouldn't be living 200km from a doctor

I fully agree with this. Not to go all ~muh taxes~ but it's incredible how much money is spent on rural hospitals, ambulances, and Heli-ambulances just because the aging rural population is too stubborn to move to a city with available resources.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got mine on Sunday, everyone will get one at their 6 month shot date.

cool cool

blatman posted:

congrats but i'm jealous, apparently i'm eligible "eventually" which probably means "after i've been dead for at least 6 months"

this province blows

:hfive:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
does anyone know where heather stefanson is

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

does anyone know where heather stefanson is

She probably did 30 local photo ops for her team to trickle out through the holidays and then hosed off to somewhere tropical.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Doug Ford was spotted at his cottage up north and once spotted bolted into the forest together with some nearby deer

Whenever there's a developing crisis you can count on him to be mia

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Strong. Conservative. Leadership.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

cool cool

Idgi. Your 6 month date will be Jan 2nd. You'll get an automatic text/email from the provincial system a day or two before to book, there are a lot of slots available all over the place. My 2nd shot date was Jun 15, I got a text Dec 12th. I could have gotten my shot right that day on the 15th but chose to wait a couple days as I had IRL plans I didn't want to disrupt from side-effects.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

skewetoo posted:

Doug Ford was spotted at his cottage up north and once spotted bolted into the forest together with some nearby deer

Whenever there's a developing crisis you can count on him to be mia

i find it difficult to believe doug ford bolted. i just don't think he has it in him to move faster than a jog

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

infernal machines posted:

i find it difficult to believe doug ford bolted. i just don't think he has it in him to move faster than a jog

More likely he just laid down and pretended to be an extremely convincing bloated rotting animal corpse.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he immediately soiled himself and emitted the stench of death.

sometime later he notice there were reporters nearby

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

CLAM DOWN posted:

Idgi. Your 6 month date will be Jan 2nd. You'll get an automatic text/email from the provincial system a day or two before to book, there are a lot of slots available all over the place. My 2nd shot date was Jun 15, I got a text Dec 12th. I could have gotten my shot right that day on the 15th but chose to wait a couple days as I had IRL plans I didn't want to disrupt from side-effects.

Yeah I get it, it just would have been nice to get the booster in advance of christmas/new years instead of immediately after

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

infernal machines posted:

He just pictured there was a Tim Horton's breakfast sandwich waiting for him in the woods.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Rumor is that gyms in BC will have to close.

Gonna be outside a planet fitness tomorrow morning, banging on the locked doors and shouting about my alpha mindset until the lunk alarm goes off.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Rumor is that gyms in BC will have to close.

Gonna be outside a planet fitness tomorrow morning, banging on the locked doors and shouting about my alpha mindset until the lunk alarm goes off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRPOEa3P44

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Hitting f5 then booking then cancelling then booking earlier vax appointments like an arg

Jan 9 high score

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Not being able to go to the gym has been killing me (lol) this whole pandemic, but I honestly don't trust that any gym would ever have circulation powerful enough to not become a gross miasma of covid.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

lol forgot about this dude

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Not being able to go to the gym has been killing me (lol) this whole pandemic, but I honestly don't trust that any gym would ever have circulation powerful enough to not become a gross miasma of covid.

My gym's mask requirements are literally just "wear it when you show up, but once you get past the front desk we have no jurisdiction over what you do" lmao

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Just think, if we werent half assing contact tracing through this entire pandemic, we could have had a lot better handle on how to slow down the yearly flu, or the next deadly pandemic.

But thats too hard so :shrug:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I cancelled my gym membership two waves ago, I'd kill for the space to have a home gym :negative:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YPiUtAde2o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Dr. Henry says we're "moving toward the light" and I must say I agree