Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I can have it play yakety sax if you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Has anyone else found pinch and zoom being weird on iPhone? If I pinch to zoom in on something it has started to “stick” and refuse to zoom back out when I pull the screen. This has only been in the last week or so. It was fine before.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same. The pinch gesture doesn’t seem to “take” more than like 1/3 of the time.

I wonder if it’s an iOS 15 thing.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Data Graham posted:

I upgraded last week so it would tally

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Data Graham posted:

Yep, me too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It seems to stick when there's an inline image on the screen or just off it (but probably still in a buffer somewhere).

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I feel like it's easier to get working when neither finger is touching an image but I could be imagining that.

Pinch to zoom was an accidental feature that I imagine is tied to webview - apple probably changed the behaviour on iOS15.

I wish it could return to its previous behaviour but I don't know how likely / possible that'll be too get back.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, unless the pause is caused by a piece of JavaScript we include in the webview we probably can't directly prevent it. Unfortunately it doesn't happen to me so I won't have much luck digging deeper until I can get it to happen.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does the image have text?

I’ve had frustrating things happen when touching images with text in iOS 15

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

mod saas posted:

Does the image have text?

I’ve had frustrating things happen when touching images with text in iOS 15

Maybe try disabling Live Text?

https://webtrickz.com/disable-live-text-ios-15-iphone/

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are the Android and iOS versions just super different? First day on an iPhone, and I really miss how fast it was to save images on the Android version.

Same thing for posting, can you not bypass mandatory previewing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're completely different devs, so, yeah, they're just super different.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

NewFatMike posted:

Are the Android and iOS versions just super different? First day on an iPhone, and I really miss how fast it was to save images on the Android version.

Same thing for posting, can you not bypass mandatory previewing?

I forget, was it significantly faster than “press and hold on image, tap arrow in box in bottom right, tap save image”?

Also there specifically a setting for enabling/disabling previewing new posts

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Endless Mike posted:

They're completely different devs, so, yeah, they're just super different.

Ah, that tracks!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I forget, was it significantly faster than “press and hold on image, tap arrow in box in bottom right, tap save image”?

Yeah, I need to scroll down to save the image. On the Android version, you just tap an image and a pop up with “download image”, “copy image URL”, and something else would pop up, so it’s just two taps instead of a long tap, second tap, scroll and third tap.

quote:

Also there specifically a setting for enabling/disabling previewing new posts

Ahh both brain cells didn’t rub together and parse that setting right.

Thanks friends!

E: I wanted to clarify I’m enjoying the app and just wanted to make sure I’m not using it wrong or missing settings, exactly like I did there.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 21, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I think you're describing the share sheet, which is base iOS (not the app) and configurable. If you scroll to the bottom and Edit Actions, you should be able to pick Save Image as a favourite.

Then it'll appear at the top of the share sheet

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

commie kong posted:

I think you're describing the share sheet, which is base iOS (not the app) and configurable. If you scroll to the bottom and Edit Actions, you should be able to pick Save Image as a favourite.

wtf. i been using ios for like 10 years and i never clicked on or even consciously noticed Edit Actions there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
For some reason the YouTube embeds in Awful don't seem to connect to the actual YouTube app at all. Do I need to sign into YouTube again in Safari or something to make it work if I want to pop a video out into the app to watch it full screen with all the trimmings?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

if you hold down on the link/title there's an "open in youtube" button. last time i tried anyway.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

b_d posted:

wtf. i been using ios for like 10 years and i never clicked on or even consciously noticed Edit Actions there.

fwiw it's only been since the new share sheet so a year or two

Arivia posted:

For some reason the YouTube embeds in Awful don't seem to connect to the actual YouTube app at all. Do I need to sign into YouTube again in Safari or something to make it work if I want to pop a video out into the app to watch it full screen with all the trimmings?

There's an 'Open YouTube in YouTube settings toggle in the settings tab of Awful. Is that toggled on?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

commie kong posted:

Bless you, I can spread shitposts far and wide with much greater efficiency now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

It’s actually really good that it’s like this because I can play a video in the awful app and it doesn’t gently caress with my recommendations.

But yeah long press the video like they’ve said.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yeah they won’t be connected to your account because our posts web view doesn’t have access to Safari cookies or know to send you to the app. Nothing we can control about that, but yeah just long press or whatever to get it to open in Safari/the YouTube app to pop things into your watch history.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I’m assuming that “Imgur API Error File type invalid (1) (ImgurException code 1003)” is due to HEIC photos in my library? What’s the most pain free way to deal with this so that I can stop doing an obnoxious copy paste dance with the Imgur app?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Steve French posted:

I’m assuming that “Imgur API Error File type invalid (1) (ImgurException code 1003)” is due to HEIC photos in my library? What’s the most pain free way to deal with this so that I can stop doing an obnoxious copy paste dance with the Imgur app?

You can make a shortcut to convert it or do what I do and take a screenshot of the photo and post that lol.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Anyone have any shortcuts for uploading images to Imgur and spitting out the timg tagged url? I have a shortcut for stuff in my gallery, but I’d like to be able to use the share dialog to get the links for images I find but don’t want to download

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone have any shortcuts for uploading images to Imgur and spitting out the timg tagged url? I have a shortcut for stuff in my gallery, but I’d like to be able to use the share dialog to get the links for images I find but don’t want to download

Assuming you have the same one I got from here ages ago, you can just modify the first action to accept urls as well as images; this’ll make it show up if you try to share an image from safari. Note that this will ask permission for each web page when you do it, which is mildly annoying.

Also, since I sorta broke the original one I had and had to reconstruct it, this is a bit neater. I think that the “if there’s no input” field is new for ios15, but it makes the “get photos” step unnecessary. The rest is just setting variables to the previous step, as necessary.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

carry on then posted:

yeah they won’t be connected to your account because our posts web view doesn’t have access to Safari cookies or know to send you to the app. Nothing we can control about that, but yeah just long press or whatever to get it to open in Safari/the YouTube app to pop things into your watch history.

This works, thanks! I figured it was just some wonky thing I didn’t know how to interact with, I’m okay with the app not actually counting as YouTube views for me. Thanks everyone!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Zenostein posted:

Assuming you have the same one I got from here ages ago, you can just modify the first action to accept urls as well as images; this’ll make it show up if you try to share an image from safari. Note that this will ask permission for each web page when you do it, which is mildly annoying.

Also, since I sorta broke the original one I had and had to reconstruct it, this is a bit neater. I think that the “if there’s no input” field is new for ios15, but it makes the “get photos” step unnecessary. The rest is just setting variables to the previous step, as necessary.

Thank you, this worked

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I can't even watch most Youtube videos in Awful because of the dumb age restriction thing that requires you to be logged in, so all the embeds are jusr gray boxes with links to the videos on Youtube, where I'd have to log in anyway. Not an Awful issue obviously but a bit of a drag.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there something weird going on with scrolling? I’ve had it scroll down like 2 screens worth pretty frequently. I just assume I’m somehow brushing the screen with a finger, but I can’t reproduce it when I try. I feel like it only started with iOS 15 so maybe there’s some new thing doing it?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

david_a posted:

Is there something weird going on with scrolling? I’ve had it scroll down like 2 screens worth pretty frequently. I just assume I’m somehow brushing the screen with a finger, but I can’t reproduce it when I try. I feel like it only started with iOS 15 so maybe there’s some new thing doing it?

Do you have double tap to scroll enabled in your settings? Could you be double tapping long posts?

It only works on long posts that extend below the current viewport, which could be why it seems to only sometimes happen

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

commie kong posted:

Do you have double tap to scroll enabled in your settings? Could you be double tapping long posts?

It only works on long posts that extend below the current viewport, which could be why it seems to only sometimes happen

It was indeed on and that’s probably what was going on. Not sure when that feature showed up but I had never heard of it. Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks to all you devs for all your hard work on this app in 2021 :cheers:

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Are there stats on the popularity of the various app icon options?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Shofixti posted:

Are there stats on the popularity of the various app icon options?

I don’t think we collect any data at all so it will always remain a secret.

But hey, post your favorite app icon.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

just lol that someone wouldn't use the frog, or maybe the dog(s).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dog team sound off

WOOF

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I use default icon because I don’t want anyone to think I have games on my Home Screen.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Subjunctive posted:

dog team sound off

WOOF

:woof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.