Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

The BBC had an interesting segment on variants arising and had new findings by scientists in South Africa who, very cautiously, noted that immuno-compromised people are a fertile breeding ground for variants, and that in particular HIV/AIDS sufferers who aren't receiving treatment (either because they don't want to admit they have the disease or those who just don't know) should start receiving treatment ASAP.

I say cautiously because the scientists also stressed that there's all kinds of causes of being immuno-compromised and that HIV/AIDS sufferers should not be stigmatised or blamed. Obviously it's a sensitive topic.
Yeah the main thing that I've heard from South Africa is "man gently caress the aids denialists in the 90s, they hosed things up for a generation" and "we still need to do more about the stigma and access to antiretrovirals" and no disagreement there. The reaction against that has left them with very good viral pandemic monitoring tools though, and a fair chunk of our worldwide antiviral research now helping with Covid stems from that.

ThomasPaine posted:

E: there's definitely something to be written about covid as the first true pandemic of the information age, and the way our global and interpersonal connectedness through social media etc has shaped our responses to the whole thing and the discourse around it. Could the antivaxxers have ever gained so much support in an era without twitter, I wonder?
I agree with the rest of your post but I think they could, it all depends on how much support they got from institutional power, like lolbertarian Tories and inveterate contrarians in the press. I think it's as (if not more) possible that the "oh poo poo this is serious" messages on twitter got people demanding action as it is that the antivaxxers got a pulpit, David Icke and Christine Maggiore got enough publicity in the 90s without any of that and

Guavanaut posted:

gently caress the aids denialists in the 90s

e: First World AIDS Day takes place in 1988

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

“Any other leader” for PM

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1473297538283409414?s=21

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Convex posted:

lol wtf is this magazine

:shepicide:

The critic was a New York magazine in 1870s and there is this whole chain from it to Charles Frederick Briggs hiring Edgar Allan Poe and giving him his big break, it’s also very likely linked to the earliest British satire/anti-establishment magazines and pamphlets whose writers ended up fleeing to New York.

The people involved in the modern atrocity will absolutely have known this, the god drat arrogant psychopaths

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The shelter I got my cat from in Canning Town is only a couple of doors down from the ominously-named "Bargain Meat Centre".

A name that is both intriguing and terrifying.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

The BBC had an interesting segment on variants arising and had new findings by scientists in South Africa who, very cautiously, noted that immuno-compromised people are a fertile breeding ground for variants, and that in particular HIV/AIDS sufferers who aren't receiving treatment (either because they don't want to admit they have the disease or those who just don't know) should start receiving treatment ASAP.

I say cautiously because the scientists also stressed that there's all kinds of causes of being immuno-compromised and that HIV/AIDS sufferers should not be stigmatised or blamed. Obviously it's a sensitive topic.

A friend of mine has MS and is on immunosuppresants (sp?) so has to be extremely careful.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

this may shock and alarm you but there exists a media landscape outside of the UKMT

This is why I've started lurking on reddit ukpolitics* (but not posting) because it is moderated and people seem to be similarly 'thoughtful' as posters ITT, but some have bad opinions don't necessarily agree with my views.
*ed: I wrote UKPol to start with not realizing it is different to UKPolitics which is where I lurk.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 21, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

I agree with the rest of your post but I think they could, it all depends on how much support they got from institutional power, like lolbertarian Tories and inveterate contrarians in the press. I think it's as (if not more) possible that the "oh poo poo this is serious" messages on twitter got people demanding action as it is that the antivaxxers got a pulpit, David Icke and Christine Maggiore got enough publicity in the 90s without any of that and

Possibly! But I think there's something to be said about the knock on effects of the internet's promotion of niche subcultures. A lot of conspiracy bullshit grew out those 90s/00s forums. Social media, and Twitter in particular, has provided probably the largest, most ubiquitous, and (ostensibly) horizontal, non-hierarchical public messageboard the world has ever seen.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

There's a long history of anti-vaccination protests.

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/history-anti-vaccination-movements

detailed discussion of the last 150 years approx.

This article suggests 300 years:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02671-0

1918 protests against smallpox vaccinations:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A friend of mine has MS and is on immunosuppresants (sp?) so has to be extremely careful.

This is why I've started lurking on reddit ukpol (but not posting) because it is moderated and people seem to be similarly 'thoughtful' as posters ITT, but some have bad opinions don't necessarily agree with my views.

In order of how much they're like this thread;

Green and Pleasant
UKPOL
Conservatives

LabourUK

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah the main thing that I've heard from South Africa is "man gently caress the aids denialists in the 90s, they hosed things up for a generation" and "we still need to do more about the stigma and access to antiretrovirals" and no disagreement there. The reaction against that has left them with very good viral pandemic monitoring tools though, and a fair chunk of our worldwide antiviral research now helping with Covid stems from that.

Yeah to be honest when I saw the piece I thought of how as a global society we failed so badly on AIDS and how these variants are basically our failure compounding.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah, it's horrible because they're either at higher risk of catching covid or higher risk of dying from it, or both. Just a lovely situation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

In order of how much they're like this thread;

Green and Pleasant
UKPOL
Conservatives

LabourUK

*scowls while trying to determine level of trolling*

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

ThomasPaine posted:

But even if they did, it would hardly matter. Britain's 'lockdown', outside of a few overzealous coppers using it as an excuse to hassle ramblers and do racism, was never really meaningfully a lockdown. At best it was a glorified neighbourhood watch scheme. It's honestly not even clear that it did much at all to slow the spread of covid, the waves we saw could easily have been the natural ebbs and flows of the pandemic. Maybe it was better than nothing, maybe not

I think this is nonsense. Some or even a lot of people might have broken rules willy nilly but it certainly felt like a lockdown to me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I think I have been sloppy in my reference. I didn't realize UK Pol is different to the one I hang around on UKPolitics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

lol wtf is this magazine

:shepicide:

No I don't think I will read any of those next. It loving looks like Glinner the Magazine.

ThomasPaine posted:

Possibly! But I think there's something to be said about the knock on effects of the internet's promotion of niche subcultures. A lot of conspiracy bullshit grew out those 90s/00s forums. Social media, and Twitter in particular, has provided probably the largest, most ubiquitous, and (ostensibly) horizontal, non-hierarchical public messageboard the world has ever seen.
True, but it also spread like wildfire through South Africa in the mid-90s, when there was very little non-academic internet access there. A lot of the spread was via the successors of anti-apartheid social communications, where "and everyone in power is a psychopath who hates you and is lying to you" wasn't exactly wrong, so I think the success of those kinds of messages depends more on social trust and cohesion rather than the actual electronics behind it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think this is nonsense. Some or even a lot of people might have broken rules willy nilly but it certainly felt like a lockdown to me.

If you followed the rules of course it did.

It's impossible to say for sure of course, and I do think proportionally more people did do as they were told initially, but even then I anecdotally know of quite a few who never gave much of a poo poo and were having parties the whole way through. In any case, none of that changes the fact that loads of people were still forced into work while the criteria for 'essential' jobs made the term basically meaningless, and were economically disincentivised to test (or go off sick with a positive one). I'd put good money on workplaces + HMO houses being the major driver of transmission, not people going round their pals for a drink.

Guavanaut posted:

True, but it also spread like wildfire through South Africa in the mid-90s, when there was very little non-academic internet access there. A lot of the spread was via the successors of anti-apartheid social communications, where "and everyone in power is a psychopath who hates you and is lying to you" wasn't exactly wrong, so I think the success of those kinds of messages depends more on social trust and cohesion rather than the actual electronics behind it.

Oh sure, I wasn't saying the internet was the Big Evil, just that it probably helped facilitate trends that would already have been a thing at a smaller scale. The politics of immediate post-apartheid South Africa probably make it quite a special case, but I don't know anywhere near enough about the subject to comment.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If course it's nonsense. "The natural ebbs and flows of the pandemic" where huge drops in infection rate mysteriously lined up with the strictest containment measures and huge spikes lined up with letting 'er rip.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Tesseraction posted:

*scowls while trying to determine level of trolling*

Have you read some of the LabourUK posts?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Have you read some of the LabourUK posts?

Oh I just thought you were saying those were the top 3 as well as making GBS threads on LabourUK (which deserves it)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah the main thing that I've heard from South Africa is "man gently caress the aids denialists in the 90s, they hosed things up for a generation" and "we still need to do more about the stigma and access to antiretrovirals" and no disagreement there.

On the other hand in 2014 the South Africans re-elected Jacob Zuma as President after he infamously said that you could prevent the transmission of HIV by showering after sex. Not that it's a bad habit, but come on.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tarnop posted:

If course it's nonsense. "The natural ebbs and flows of the pandemic" where huge drops in infection rate mysteriously lined up with the strictest containment measures and huge spikes lined up with letting 'er rip.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, come on now. If you look at the figures for, say, Sweden - a country that famously rejected lockdown measures - you get the same peaks and troughs. You also get the same when you look at historical mortality rates for other epidemic diseases like the Spanish flu. Cases almost always come in waves for a multitude of factors. I'm not saying lockdown did nothing, but it certainly isn't the deciding factor, especially once you're well past the containment stage and the official policy is drawn up on the back of a cigarette packet and implemented about as well.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

On the other hand in 2014 the South Africans re-elected Jacob Zuma as President after he infamously said that you could prevent the transmission of HIV by showering after sex. Not that it's a bad habit, but come on.

Okay two generations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Yes, Zuma holding those views and Mbeki inviting HIV/Aids denialists onto health boards were part and parcel of how well they managed to gently caress things up for a generation. It caused plenty of mockery and horror but that it was even mainstreamed at that point was a result of how well those messages spread.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ThomasPaine posted:

Correlation doesn't imply causation, come on now. If you look at the figures for, say, Sweden - a country that famously rejected lockdown measures - you get the same peaks and troughs. You also get the same when you look at historical mortality rates for other epidemic diseases like the Spanish flu. Cases almost always come in waves for a multitude of factors. I'm not saying lockdown did nothing, but it certainly isn't the deciding factor, especially once you're well past the containment stage and the official policy is drawn up on the back of a cigarette packet and implemented about as well.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it would be one hell of an impressive feat if the government somehow predicted exactly when infections would start to fall due to whatever other factors you're failing to specify and consistently brought restrictions into force two weeks beforehand.

Social distancing measures and restrictions on mass gatherings were imposed for Spanish flu. The third wave of Spanish flu coincided with the lifting of those restrictions, but I guess that was just a coincidence too.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Triple jabbed :woop:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Congrats! Be ready for a fuckin rough day tomorrow, have paracetamol and lots of water ready. I felt like total poo poo for about 36 hours (AZ + AZ + Moderna)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ThomasPaine posted:

I'd put good money on workplaces + HMO houses being the major driver of transmission, not people going round their pals for a drink.

Not very scientific given a sample size of the one large corporate I'm at, but during the first few months of the pandemic the number of covid infections amongst computer touchers etc who could WFH was tiny in proportion to those working in public-facing jobs or roles that couldn't be done from home. People in our mail rooms and call centres who were going into the office the whole time or who had jobs where they worked with the public in some way were getting ridiculous rates of exposures and a lot of positive cases. So yeah I'd definitely say the problem was people who didn't have a choice in who they're around at work or home, rather than having a sly piss-up.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Tarnop posted:

Congrats! Be ready for a fuckin rough day tomorrow, have paracetamol and lots of water ready. I felt like total poo poo for about 36 hours (AZ + AZ + Moderna)

Yeah, I felt nothing after 1 & 2 but 3 has kicked my arse today. Pz * 3.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Congratulations on reaching the centre of your Euler/Venn Diagram! :cheersbird:

Az + Az + Pz = feeling a bit lovely for a day or so, i just slept a lot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I managed to get mine booked for next friday so hopefully I will be able to be sick over the weekend.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

fuctifino posted:

My coping mechanism is weed. Today is day 619 of an unbroken chain of waking and baking until bedtime.

I had to knock that on the head it started making me really anxious but i am happy it's still helping you friend

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The only vegetable that is better than the sprout is the potato and that is because the potato is just nature's bread.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Ireland: :nice:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm becoming increasingly doomer myself tbh, despite being one of the more 'anti-dooming' posters usually. It's kind of came with a dose of not giving a gently caress any more too. I suppose in a roundabout way, it'll be interesting to witness the fall of a technologically advanced civilisation, in the same way being vivisected is probably quite an interesting experience.

Anyway, in the name of not going out, I made a micromovie. It's very short and was pretty fun to make. As always, criticism highly welcomed - I know it's way noisier than ideal but I was getting to grips with a new camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjtGB35-NAQ

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it would be one hell of an impressive feat if the government somehow predicted exactly when infections would start to fall due to whatever other factors you're failing to specify and consistently brought restrictions into force two weeks beforehand.

Social distancing measures and restrictions on mass gatherings were imposed for Spanish flu. The third wave of Spanish flu coincided with the lifting of those restrictions, but I guess that was just a coincidence too.

Fine, explain Sweden? Explain any of the other countries that did next to nothing and still saw multiple distinct waves?

Lockdown/closure measures during the Spanish flu, in Britain at least, were never nationally mandated but were implemented inconsistently at a patchwork local level. Hell, in 1918 there was still residual opposition to germ theory as a concept. Still, deaths from the pandemic came in waves, they didn't exponentially rise. Micro-organisms respond to non-human factors as well, and pandemics always display their own patterns. I assume when you talk about restrictions you're referring to places like the USA, which did occasionally have state-enforced containment measures, and for sure removing them may have contributed to resurgences in infection, but even so, no-one was talking about the disease by the early 1920s, when measures had ended, and there were no further significant outbreaks even the absence of vaccines or any other medical interventions.

Once again, I am not saying saying lockdowns did nothing. Maybe they had some impact. I am saying that they are not a magic bullet, are of dubious effectiveness by comparison to other 'carrot' measures of transmission mitigation, and have serious collateral consequences that need to be taken into account.

e: my 3rd booster was perfectly fine, no side-effects at all, same for my parents. I was Pfizer x3, they were both AZ x2 + Pfizer x1

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 21, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comparatively my third dose was painless. My first two made me feel like I was carrying a baby elephant for a few days while my mouth was sandland. This one just had a mildly sore injection site.

Actually makes me worry now that my third dose was inert or placebo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Huh, I felt nothing following my third jab except the obvious "someone stuck a needle in your arm" stuff. Maybe they just gave me saline.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Fine, explain Sweden? Explain any of the other countries that did next to nothing and still saw multiple distinct waves?

Difference in populations: 10 million in Sweden, 05 million in Finland.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gort posted:

Huh, I felt nothing following my third jab except the obvious "someone stuck a needle in your arm" stuff. Maybe they just gave me saline.

Okay if I catch covid badly I'll warn you to lock yourself behind a filtered air pump.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Barrister who sued after colleague asked him to stop farting loses case

quote:

A senior barrister who sued the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) after a colleague asked him to stop breaking wind in the room they worked in together has lost his case.

Tarique Mohammed sued for harassment and told an employment tribunal that his repetitive flatulence was caused by medication he was on for a heart condition.

He said the comment from his colleague Paul McGorry was “embarrassing” and violated his dignity – but the panel found it was a reasonable request to have asked him to stop.

The prosecutor, who suffered a heart attack in 2014, also alleged he was discriminated against because of his disabilities and made a number of further allegations against his co-workers and bosses.

He claimed they threw away his water bottles, asked him to work one day a week 60 miles away and failed to pay for his barrister’s practising certificate while he was on sick leave.

The claims of disability-related discrimination were also thrown out by the panel, chaired by the employment judge Emma Hawksworth, in Reading, Berkshire.

The CPS did accept that it treated Mohammed unfairly by not allowing him to work from home two days a week and leave work at 4pm to help him manage his condition, and by removing him from court duties, meaning he will receive compensation.

His heart condition meant he had to take daily medication, the side-effects of which meant he had to remain at home for several hours after taking it. In 2016, he began sharing an office with McGorry, where the issue of his persistent flatulence was raised.

“Mr McGorry was aware the claimant had had a heart attack but he was not aware of what medication the claimant was taking or that flatulence was a side-effect of the medication,” the tribunal was told.

“There were repeated incidents of flatulence in the quiet room. On one occasion Mr McGorry asked [Mr Mohammed]: ‘Do you have to do that Tarique?’”

Mohammed said it was due to his medication and when asked if he could step outside to do it, he said he could not.

In February 2016 he was moved to another team that meant he did not have to attend court and was asked to work one day a week in Brighton, East Sussex, more than one hour’s drive from Guildford.

He launched a grievance, which concluded that the CPS should have made allowances for him, and went on sick leave. His employment was terminated in April 2020.

The tribunal threw out Mohammed’s claims of disability-related harassment and victimisation. “Many of the incidents about which [he] complains were unrelated to his disability … or were caused or aggravated by [him] overreacting,” the panel said.

Of the flatulence, the tribunal commented: “Mr McGorry’s questions to [Mr Mohammed] were not asked with the purpose of violating [his] dignity or creating such an environment. It was not an unreasonable question to ask, when there had been repeated incidents of flatulence in a small office.”

This reads like a sitcom pilot episode imo

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Just Another Lurker posted:

Congratulations on reaching the centre of your Euler/Venn Diagram! :cheersbird:

:hmmyes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ThomasPaine posted:

Fine, explain Sweden?

"At this point, Sweden, unlike its Nordic neighbours, allowed things to carry on pretty much as usual, with only minor measures in place.

By the summer, when restrictions were reduced in the UK and Germany, cases per 100,000 in both those countries were very low, while in Sweden cases had never gone below 25 per 100,000 of the population."
https://www.euronews.com/next/amp/2021/12/13/one-pandemic-three-reactions-new-study-picks-apart-germany-sweden-and-the-uk-s-covid-respo

"UK mortality would have approximately doubled had Swedish policy been adopted, while Swedish mortality would have more than halved had Sweden adopted UK or Danish strategies. Danish policies were most effective, although differences between the UK and Denmark were significant for one counterfactual approach only. Our analysis shows that small changes in the timing or effectiveness of interventions have disproportionately large effects on total mortality within a rapidly growing epidemic."
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-95699-9