Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ragnar34 posted:

Are we still recommending Malazan Book of the Fallen, or did that guy turn out to be like a zoophile or something? If you're going to read 15 of a thing then read that. Unless Steven Erikson is some other kind of rear end in a top hat, in which case keep reading the meme thread.

Nah he's a completely normal person with decent to good political views.

It's great because he'll post political poo poo on his social media and fantasy book fandom, which is full of...uh..."traditionalist" white dudes, gnashes their teeth and try to explain how his books, which explicitly are about being empathetic to people who are worse off than you, actually support their batshit far right buffoonery.

But yeah the series is kinda aimed at people who look upon 10 brick-sized books full of apostrophes and elves and get excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

burexas.irom posted:

Poor Ji'rakh Battlesteed, thought of T'tah Shashuks and died.

An old bud of mine noted words to the effect: "I enjoy fantasy and science fiction, and am probably missing out on a lot; but when I start hitting super-weird names, unpronounceable poo poo, I'm out."

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Want a big titty Gandalf gf

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

triple Gs

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Big titty gandalf throwing off his cloak and cursed theodin looking shocked

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why Gandalf, you've... you've enhanced yourself!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wizardry is stored in the breasts

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zore posted:

They've covered basically just book 1 with some minor things thrown in from the prequel novel in the first season.

I believe the showrunners have also said that their adaptation is a turning of the wheel, just not necessarily the turning from the books. The people, places and story are largely the same but the roles each play have changed a bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Heath posted:

Wizardry is stored in the breasts

do you think when he became gandalf the white they got bigger or he got an extra one haha

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Heath posted:

Wizardry is stored in the orbs

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
:nws:

https://i.imgur.com/lYUKsLV.jpg

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Mithrandy

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

PainterofCrap posted:

An old bud of mine noted words to the effect: "I enjoy fantasy and science fiction, and am probably missing out on a lot; but when I start hitting super-weird names, unpronounceable poo poo, I'm out."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5xnznFzLek

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Heath posted:

Wizardry is stored in the breasts orbs

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Boorbs

E: böörb

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

Are we still recommending Malazan Book of the Fallen, or did that guy turn out to be like a zoophile or something? If you're going to read 15 of a thing then read that. Unless Steven Erikson is some other kind of rear end in a top hat, in which case keep reading the meme thread.

I can't read past this post without saying that these are books you definitely want to read if you like good books.

I put it off for the longest time and when I started I mocked the guy who recommended them relentlessly; 'Gardens of the Moon' had some Pinocchio like marionette running around and names of characters that were cheesy as gently caress. I'm happy to say that I was so wrong and the series was outstanding. I'd even say that it taught me the true meaning of nihilism.

I particularly liked the authors foreword where he essentially said if you cant make it past the first few chapters then give up and if you make it to the middle of the first book you will probably read them all. He was right.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Great ponderous orbs

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

euphronius posted:

Great ponderous orbs

https://i.imgur.com/XZjmwPH.mp4

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

deported to Canada posted:

I particularly liked the authors foreword where he essentially said if you cant make it past the first few chapters then give up and if you make it to the middle of the first book you will probably read them all. He was right.

Iirc I read the first three then when I learned 'book four is book three again but focusing on different characters' I quit

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Iirc I read the first three then when I learned 'book four is book three again but focusing on different characters' I quit

That's wrong, books 2 and 3 occur simultaneously but in different places, 4 is a time progression from 2 & 3.

Jordan did a much worse version of that on Wheel of Time where he had a whole book of characters reacting to the events of the previous book.

But honestly if you didn't want to finish the series after 2 and 3, you're probably fine. They're some of the best in the series.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Book 4 charts the rise of Karsa Orlong and this made you stop reading? Madness my friend, simply madness.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I can't read past this post without saying that these are books you definitely want to read if you like good books.

I put it off for the longest time and when I started I mocked the guy who recommended them relentlessly; 'Gardens of the Moon' had some Pinocchio like marionette running around and names of characters that were cheesy as gently caress. I'm happy to say that I was so wrong and the series was outstanding. I'd even say that it taught me the true meaning of nihilism.

I read like 3 or 4 books and gave up because of the outrageous pompousness of it all. Imagine writing a professional soldier with inner monologues like this

quote:

This burden – you have taken it before, assumed it long ago, haven’t you? This burden, that now assails my soul, it is what you live with – have lived with for centuries. The price for the sword on your back–
/.../
Anomander Rake, how can you bear this burden? This burden that has so thoroughly broken my heart?
But no, that is not what so tears at me.
Lord of Moon’s Spawn, you asked me to step aside, and you called it a mercy. I misunderstood you. A mercy, not to the Women of the Dead Seed. But to me. Thus your sorrowed smile when I denied you.
Ah, my friend, I saw only your brutality – and that hurt you.
Better, for us both, had you crossed blades with me.
For us both.
And I – I am not worth such friends. Old man, foolish gestures plague you. Be done with it. Make this your last war. Make it your last.

Like drat Whiskeyjack shouldn't you be at your amateur dramatics class?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Beeswax posted:

I read like 3 or 4 books and gave up because of the outrageous pompousness of it all. Imagine writing a professional soldier with inner monologues like this

poo poo's depressing yo!

But seriously I get your point, the series does find itself becoming more existentially bleak as it goes on and the writing style can be a lot to chew on.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

poo poo's depressing yo!

But seriously I get your point, the series does find itself becoming more existentially bleak as it goes on and the writing style can be a lot to chew on.

I rather enjoyed the bleakness of it all, but the overwrought writing just killed it for me. It constantly bordered on self-parody to say the least. Still, different strokes and all that, my opinion is no more or less valid than anyone else's.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Man that Wheel of Time show is really bad

Which is weird because I remember liking the first few books as a kid, but I tried rereading them and drat those are almost as bad as the show

Truly a shameful thing to enjoy

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Beeswax posted:

That's not a real quote, is it?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Beeswax posted:

WJ was being groomed to be the emperor before things went south.

But yeah he's emo as gently caress and the dark elves are all incredibly emo, like hilariously so as the books go on. Played straight sometimes, for comedy others.

Jaxyon has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Dec 21, 2021

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

My mate used to say that a fantasy series was good inversely proportional to the number of made up words it used.
He also used to say that as soon as there was a wizard, he was done with the book, so he may not have been the target audience.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo lmao

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I just want to say thank goodness someone else pointed out Heavy Metal is orb dense.

You didn't go in to PS or anything to make it blue. Been feeling pressured to do that myself but the whole movie is about an orb.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hollandia posted:

My mate used to say that a fantasy series was good inversely proportional to the number of made up words it used.

I can think of counterexamples but honestly this isn't a bad way to--

Hollandia posted:

He also used to say that as soon as there was a wizard, he was done with the book, so he may not have been the target audience.

your mate is scum and I long for his destruction.

e: Honestly I just stick with Patricia McKillip, Jeff VanderMeer and Jorge Borges. I'm sure I'm missing out, but I really need authors to keep their made up words under control.

Ragnar34 has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Dec 22, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Malazan is loving great but whoever said it taught them the meaning of nihilism is 110% on the money.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tree Bucket posted:

That's not a real quote, is it?

It is, Erikson was an archeologist/anthropologist before getting into writing so he decided to write his book as an in universe history like the works of Plutarch or Polybius.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

But it's the 22nd year of the 21st century.

Don't give me none of that "no year 0 bullshit". I will never accept 1990 being in the 80s and 2000 being in the 1900s. I officially declare the year before year 1 being year zero. It can also be 1 BC. No problem being both.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hollandia posted:

Gene Wolfe (on campus) is great and never used a single made up word. checks out

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Biplane posted:

Malazan is loving great but whoever said it taught them the meaning of nihilism is 110% on the money.

It was me but I just wanted to :hfive: the post/avatar right there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Don't give me none of that "no year 0 bullshit". I will never accept 1990 being in the 80s and 2000 being in the 1900s. I officially declare the year before year 1 being year zero. It can also be 1 BC. No problem being both.

(Decades are different than centuries)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

(Decades are different than centuries)

Not in this context. 0 is where you start counting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Just declare yourself an astronomer. They use a year zero.