Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Yeah I think both are perfectly good examples of salvageable MMOs if you removed enough of the poo poo, though Neverwinter kinda suffers from having aged a bit and having too much direct competition. Meanwhile Star Trek online actually has some really unique stuff going for it and could actually be worthwhile with some TLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah Star Trek is one of the more unique MMORPGs out there, there is really nothing else like it out there.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I had a great time with STO around launch. Space combat ruled and loving around with Starfleet Dental was always fun. Away team stuff was painful but some of the custom missions ppl came up with were pretty amazing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i still think Neverwinter should have figured out how to retain the foundry in one form or another, it was a major original selling point

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

30.5 Days posted:

What does it mean that perfect world just sold all their American poo poo, was it just not doing well for them?

STO/Neverwinter seem to be doing pretty well going by some of the investor material released this morning. I think PW just took a major blow with how hard Magic: Legends bombed.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Anno posted:

STO/Neverwinter seem to be doing pretty well going by some of the investor material released this morning. I think PW just took a major blow with how hard Magic: Legends bombed.

I played the Magic Beta, it was not worth anyone's time and the systems made no real sense. Diablo + card battler is not a game anyone asked for.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey is there any upcoming or active MMO that is similar to Archeage with the PvP focus and stealing and piracy and generally being being a dick for profit? But you know, hopefully actually good?

I'm gonna guess the answer is no but just checking :)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Magic: Legends is one of the most baffling products put to market in recent memory. An ARPG with randomized skill draws during missions is such a fundamental misunderstanding of the appeal of the core gameplay loop of ARPGs that it begs the question of whether any of the developers ever even played one.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey is there any upcoming or active MMO that is similar to Archeage with the PvP focus and stealing and piracy and generally being being a dick for profit? But you know, hopefully actually good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9exGByxvJjA

I'm gonna post about Palia. A Singularity Six soft and cozy harvest moon MMO announced 6 months ago and seems to be doing another round of updates and an alpha announcement. It is so woke in a Los Angeles way, they have ascended beyond needing a gender slider and has afropuff hairstyles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4FRzNdbOw

Absolutely not the mood you are looking for. Dev statements disavow all future PVP mechanics, but then dropped petty MMO drama as an avenue for PVP and I think they get it. Regardless it has the activities and mechanics of Archeage. As any Alpha buyer would know, the true meltdowns came from Tree PvP. This game has tree planting and gliding. I'm also digging the aesthetic, so it's what I'm following.

The pixel art 8 man server Journey-like. I havent really followed it. Is it like Hyperlight Drifter?

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 21, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

well if it helps the fresh fresh fresh fresh fresh fresh fresh fresh fresh fresh start server that Kakao just did is already dying due to an exploit:

quote:

An exploit found yesterday allows a player to create alt accounts and use coupon codes to acquire 100 Manastorm Crystals. These crystals can then be used for a multitude of things. All of which are supposed to be untradeable, however some players found ways to use the Manastorm Crystals in ways that benefit their main character.

Combine that with the ongoing free trial for Archeage and players are able to make unlimited alt accounts and boost their main over and over again. Effectively giving their main characters access to unlimited Manastorm Crystals.

e:

there are already calls for adding a new 'fresh' onto all the fresh fresh fresh starts

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but to answer your question, no, there isn't really anything like that.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Anno posted:

Yeah, I'm like 80% sure that magic legends got cancelled so quickly because wotc's publishing arm is doing very poorly (it was cancelled a couple weeks after dark alliance bombed). If they wanted to keep going but wotc forced them to shut it down, PW's wotc licenses may have had their value reassessed.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also I thought PW had a bunch of other games but it looks like they have completely failed to put together an actual studio other than cryptic for reasons that I'm sure are hilarious. Right now there's a huge demand for functioning game studios for publishers to buy & then hollow out. The way it normally works is you do one game with a studio and if things are going well then you buy them, but it seems like these guys couldn't get their heads around the process. They bought the torchlight guys & immediately shut them down. They did a game with the dark alliance guys and then let wotc snipe them (no big loss there I guess). Then they did a game with darksiders 3 guys and not only didn't buy them, but they didn't even get the rights to the game they published and the prequel was published by THQ. You get the impression that nobody liked working with these guys.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The various wings of Embracer Group meanwhile seem to be doing pretty well and fling money at seemingly anything going by the number of Titanquest expansions they’ve inexplicably developed. Seems like a solid place for mid-budget MMOs to exist.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

eonwe posted:

but to answer your question, no, there isn't really anything like that.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Probably for the best. I guess instead of scratching this very specific itch I'll keep being productive with my art instead :regd09:

KirbyKhan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9exGByxvJjA

I'm gonna post about Palia. A Singularity Six soft and cozy harvest moon MMO announced 6 months ago and seems to be doing another round of updates and an alpha announcement. It is so woke in a Los Angeles way, they have ascended beyond needing a gender slider and has afropuff hairstyles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4FRzNdbOw

Absolutely not the mood you are looking for. Dev statements disavow all future PVP mechanics, but then dropped petty MMO drama as an avenue for PVP and I think they get it. Regardless it has the activities and mechanics of Archeage. As any Alpha buyer would know, the true meltdowns came from Tree PvP. This game has tree planting and gliding. I'm also digging the aesthetic, so it's what I'm following.

The pixel art 8 man server Journey-like. I havent really followed it. Is it like Hyperlight Drifter?

Not really on my radar but I appreciate the writeup.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone heard anything about Toram Online? Popped up in my Steam discovery queue today. Apparently it released started as a smartphone game?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

LLSix posted:

Anyone heard anything about Toram Online? Popped up in my Steam discovery queue today. Apparently it released started as a smartphone game?

And it somehow is still a cellphone game on pc.

Kinda terrible.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I installed GW2 since I like story driven MMOs and GW2 and TESO are the only story driven MMOs I haven't played til endgame, and I forgot just how loving smug the player character is in GW2. Like literally the first intro quest has the PC going "Yeah, I"m basically the loving best, watch and learn :smuggo:" and it's actually kind of really annoying. Sure, the Imperial Agent had some very smug moments in SWtOR but it was a lot less annoying, and also sort of in-character for a James Bond type. The smugness of my GW2 character, however, just really rubs me the wrong way.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

FrostyPox posted:

I installed GW2 since I like story driven MMOs and GW2 and TESO are the only story driven MMOs I haven't played til endgame, and I forgot just how loving smug the player character is in GW2. Like literally the first intro quest has the PC going "Yeah, I"m basically the loving best, watch and learn :smuggo:" and it's actually kind of really annoying. Sure, the Imperial Agent had some very smug moments in SWtOR but it was a lot less annoying, and also sort of in-character for a James Bond type. The smugness of my GW2 character, however, just really rubs me the wrong way.

The Norn intro is the worst about this. The marketing hammered hard on 'this is your story' and so each race does something suitably heroic to start out the game (with the Sylvari being the exception, just being born is a trial).

Except for the Norn, who... participate in a hunt. All you need to do is kill one animal. Then you go to an arena to kill the iceworm Issormir that... somebody else dragged there for you to go slaughter.
If you go back up there to check it out, workers even complain that they have to chop it up to dispose of the worthless meat.

It's a very unheroic start.

Compared to the Charr opening, where you're on the frontlines of a big battle against ghosts and you get to fight a giant bigass possessed statue, or the human opening where you're in a similar big battle against a tornado-summoning centaur.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At least in the Living World chapters, I think I ended up with a better impression of the GW2 main character because I did all the story on a male sylvari. That voice actor's delivery really sells the "exasperated with everyone else's poo poo but also just can't keep himself from helping anyway" attitude and it works really well. I could see that same characterization being really eye-rollingly bad just with different line reads.

I don't really have any memory at all of the core game's story except that it was mostly pretty boring, so I'm not sure how much different the main character writing was then.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Harrow posted:

I don't really have any memory at all of the core game's story except that it was mostly pretty boring, so I'm not sure how much different the main character writing was then.

:same:

THIS IS YOUR STORY *mashes skip through all dialogue after first 20 minutes*

then you shoot a dragon a bunch of times

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I found Guild Wars 2's story to be...insanely boring. It checks all of the Western high fantasy tropes in a very bad way.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

At least in the Living World chapters, I think I ended up with a better impression of the GW2 main character because I did all the story on a male sylvari. That voice actor's delivery really sells the "exasperated with everyone else's poo poo but also just can't keep himself from helping anyway" attitude and it works really well. I could see that same characterization being really eye-rollingly bad just with different line reads.

Will agree that Sylvari, both male and female, have the best player voice actors in the entire game and probably start with the best backstory of the perspective of someone who was literally born yesterday, which makes someone explaining basic concepts of the world to you come off as less lore-dumpy, also they are pretty much the stars of the main story right up until the end of the first expansion.

But words I'd use to describe the GW2 main story missions tend to be bad, dumb, tedious and worst of all, unentertaining, but GW2 can still be commended for okay open world dialogue as you explore and managing to make gameplay that encourages people to work together instead of becoming hostile to eachother just from how the game was designed.

If you are looking for a story game, play Disco Elysium or something, if you want to play a MMO for a friendly community and get some dopamine from making number go up, play GW2 or Warframe.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 30, 2021

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
GW2’s charr story is good until 40 or so, then it takes a nosedive. Basically GW1 was a better game in every way except for jumping.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Orange DeviI posted:

GW2’s charr story is good until 40 or so, then it takes a nosedive. Basically GW1 was a better game in every way except for jumping.

The Charr story ends at 30 :P

Aside from the ending and the way GW2 base game story works is that:

Levels 1-10 are basically the tutorial and are the same from all races.

Levels 10-30 are a racial-based story that's different depending on your chosen backstory before coming back together to wrap up. For example if you're a Charr, you'll do a story about your Legion followed by a story about your dad. If you're a Human then you'll do a story about your social class and then a story about your character's past (amusingly, your choices are "find out who my birth parents are", "find out how my sister died" and "...I always did regret not running away with the circus" if you're not one for melodrama).

Levels 40-60 are based on the order you chose to join, with a detour along the way to choose which minor race you help and recruit.

Levels 70-80 you're now in the unified Pact to beat the bad dragon, and your story is based on what you say is your 'worst fear' followed up by your order's plan to assault the baddie.

The 'worst fear' story about dishonoring your allies is real bad, it's basically the most obvious "being forced to kill your allies because the illusion makes them show up as enemies" that you're forced to play through three quests of even though it's clear what's happening by the first one.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
GW2 basically has the weakest story out of every MMO I have played, and only the reintroduction of Palawa Joko two expansions in has saved it for me

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
People classifying Warframe as an MMO confuse the poo poo out of me.
It's like a calzones are a sandwich type argument for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It has a bunch of bullshit systems that you can grind your face into so it probably checks a lot of the same boxes for jaded MMO players.

Still not sure how people could consider it “massively multiplayer” but I digress.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

People classifying Warframe as an MMO confuse the poo poo out of me.

The newer content continues to march towards true MMO…. More open world spaces, more multiplayer content, more seamless transitions. Early game is very much like PoE with public hubs and private instances but every new expansion adds much more open world stuff.

I won’t be surprised if a near future update allows 100s of people in the same instance outside of towns.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

hazardousmouse posted:

Yeah, Calzones are dumplings.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If they can call GW1 a MMO then warframe is a MMO.

Most people probably play their MMO's as singleplayer games with a chat room attached so what difference does it make in the end?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 30, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Warframe isn't an MMO.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Anyone going into either Warframe or GW1 and expecting an MMO will be utterly disappointed in what is otherwise a pretty solid game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This has me curious, what game would you all consider to be an MMO that is the closest to well not being considered an MMO?

So, Warframe and Guild Wars 1 aren't MMOs, how much CAN you strip the genre down and have a game still be an MMO in your mind?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
you shouldn't call gw1 an mmo because none of the actual game, as in the combat, story, dungeoneering etc happens in a massively multiplayer environment. it's all limited parties and instanced areas. the same thing goes for ffxiv, world of warcraft, etc. they're also not mmos. the only mmo is eve online

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Orange DeviI posted:

you shouldn't call gw1 an mmo because none of the actual game, as in the combat, story, dungeoneering etc happens in a massively multiplayer environment. it's all limited parties and instanced areas. the same thing goes for ffxiv, world of warcraft, etc. they're also not mmos. the only mmo is eve online

tale in the desert is also an mmo

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Actually nothing is an MMO because they have yet to meet my definition of 'massively'.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ceci n'est pas une MMO

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Is there a goon presence in The Elder Scrolls Online? Being only $20 in the steam sale makes it tempting to pick up even if I only play it for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hellioning posted:

Actually nothing is an MMO because they have yet to meet my definition of 'massively'.

The "massively" part of MMOs is on the player side, in front of the computer.