Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

InfiniteZero posted:

a shielded booth

I realize you're not endorsing it but this poo poo is so frustrating. Was it this thread where someone said this is like "non-smoking seating areas" all over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The covid stays very politely behind the shield, and does not rise above it, and would never, under any circumstances, dare to mingle with the air circulating near the ceiling before descending behind another shield.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It is also civilized enough to stay out of schools.

Starks posted:

a) there’s like 5 people left on this website you can say whatever you want with 0 social consequence, b) you’re right I misread and thought restaurants were closed too, very weird to close bars but not restaurants imo.

The bar I was at on Saturday was running as a perfectly normal restaurant most of the night, but by 10:30pm had turned into a slightly quieter version of a club, none of the patrons were wearing masks, downstairs was packed shoulder to shoulder with twenty something's.

I don't know that closing them will make a meaningful difference, but that doesn't happen at restaurants.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

TheCenturion posted:

When did Zaphod’s close?

What about the Bare Fax?

May of '17. Original owner was going to either sell or close. A new owner bought it, but things were not in the financial state they expected and there is apparently a somewhat bitter dispute over whose fault that is. In any case, the new owner kept it going for about another year, but ultimately wasn't able to sustain it and I found a new home at the Dom.

And yes, BareFax is still there and the building is up for sale, as has been mention.

e: sorry if all this has been mentioned already, didn't realise how far behind I was on on this thread.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ensign Expendable posted:

The government finally found the perfect balance of "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-worker-lockdown-benefit-no-access-1.6292698

The ideal Liberal benefit program, it exists and no one qualifies

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

It is also civilized enough to stay out of schools.

The bar I was at on Saturday was running as a perfectly normal restaurant most of the night, but by 10:30pm had turned into a slightly quieter version of a club, none of the patrons were wearing masks, downstairs was packed shoulder to shoulder with twenty something's.

I don't know that closing them will make a meaningful difference, but that doesn't happen at restaurants.

This was the source of my confusion, the line between bar and restaurant is pretty murky here. AFAIK in Toronto anything with a kitchen is considered a restaurant, there’s no legal category for “bar”. Maybe it’s different in Quebec? If not I wonder how they are distinguishing them.

Edit: also I think this is the first time I’ve seen the two categories distinguished for covid rules purposes, good to see they’re trying out new combinations

Starks fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 21, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well to be clear I'm in Alberta, and defining bar vs restaurant with the "I know it when I see it definition", I have no idea how they're distinguishing them either.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

pokeyman posted:

I realize you're not endorsing it but this poo poo is so frustrating. Was it this thread where someone said this is like "non-smoking seating areas" all over again?

It's also been accurately said that the pandemic is a reflection to how we're responding to the climate crisis: we're making token moves that are geared to being the least inconvenient as possible, regardless of whether they make sense or for that matter a difference.

I believe it was the great political thinker Alexis de Tocqueville who said "Give me convenience or give me death!" or maybe that was Jello Biafra I can't remember.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Dr. Thoss posted:

May of '17. Original owner was going to either sell or close. A new owner bought it, but things were not in the financial state they expected and there is apparently a somewhat bitter dispute over whose fault that is. In any case, the new owner kept it going for about another year, but ultimately wasn't able to sustain it and I found a new home at the Dom.

And yes, BareFax is still there and the building is up for sale, as has been mention.

e: sorry if all this has been mentioned already, didn't realise how far behind I was on on this thread.

Thanks! I was wondering. Glad the Dom is still kickin

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does this mean I won't be able to see the Matrix Wednesday? :(

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Fully expect everything else to be closed and the 8 p.m. curfew reinstated shortly after Christmas. It’s going to be a long six months of isolation and boredom.

Can’t wait to do this every winter for the rest of my life!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

last weekend I was at a club/bar in Montreal in a mosh pit

9 days later they're shut down again, fuckin' yikes.

Also, if anyone wanted a nice dose of anger towards The Coward Douglas Ford...

https://twitter.com/OLPWarRoom/status/1473069950998917121?s=20

The fat gently caress has vamoosed his rear end to the cottage!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does this mean I won't be able to see the Matrix Wednesday? :(

Probably, although I know it's same-day streaming in the US so do with that information what you will.

It seems loving ignorant to close cinemas (which may be attended for the purpose they're designed for without removing one's mask) but allowing restaurant dining. I get people are angry with the rules, and when I see nonsense like this I can see exactly why!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Starks posted:

This was the source of my confusion, the line between bar and restaurant is pretty murky here. AFAIK in Toronto anything with a kitchen is considered a restaurant, there’s no legal category for “bar”. Maybe it’s different in Quebec? If not I wonder how they are distinguishing them.

Edit: also I think this is the first time I’ve seen the two categories distinguished for covid rules purposes, good to see they’re trying out new combinations

I wasn't entirely sure that anywhere really had any distinction between a restaurant and a bar. I know BC better, and they have the Liquor Primary license. You could say that anyone with that license is a bar/club but it's not really true.
The Cambie has a fairly large menu (I'm not sure of their license) but no one is going to call them a restaurant, they are clearly a bar. This applies to a lot of places that have a proper kitchen and meals but no one mistakes them for being a restaurant.

These restrictions seem to use unclear terms a lot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's also like counting the angels that can dance on the head of a pin, and it's exactly as relevant for controlling COVID-19.

I feel like I'm shouting the same things I shouted the last four waves: indoor dining can't be safe right now, even if you really really want it to be!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PT6A posted:

It's also like counting the angels that can dance on the head of a pin, and it's exactly as relevant for controlling COVID-19.

I feel like I'm shouting the same things I shouted the last four waves: indoor dining can't be safe right now, even if you really really want it to be!

What quantifies as safe right now?

Why is manufacturing, or home renovation safe while food service is not?

Why is a production line safe but a gym is not?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Things are safe if and only if you can wear an N95 as you're doing them. Working foodservice is safe, so takeout is okay. Eating indoors cannot be accomplished with a mask on, so it's not okay.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
There's also a balance of necessity. A lot of people like to trot out "well if this pretty essential thing can be open, why can't this frivolous thing? They're the same level of risk." I saw this a lot when non-essential retail was closed but groceries were still open.

Manfacturing (at least some of it) is pretty essential to keep running. Indoor dining is much less important.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

None of these things are safe but if I don’t go in to work in my manufacturing or whatever job, I don’t eat, but if I don’t go in to a restaurant, I can eat at home.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Things are safe if and only if you can wear an N95 as you're doing them. Working foodservice is safe, so takeout is okay. Eating indoors cannot be accomplished with a mask on, so it's not okay.
My workplace had a positive case on our production line last week. As soon as we found out this employee had a positive result, everything got shut down and everyone was told to go home and get tested. Thankfully there were zero new cases amongst any staff, in no small part because we have a mandatory vaccination policy and a very strong culture of wearing masks.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I was exposed at the gym I go to for my health

gently caress me, right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fidelitious posted:

I wasn't entirely sure that anywhere really had any distinction between a restaurant and a bar. I know BC better, and they have the Liquor Primary license. You could say that anyone with that license is a bar/club but it's not really true.
The Cambie has a fairly large menu (I'm not sure of their license) but no one is going to call them a restaurant, they are clearly a bar. This applies to a lot of places that have a proper kitchen and meals but no one mistakes them for being a restaurant.

These restrictions seem to use unclear terms a lot.

Awww man the Cambie menu takes me back. The place used to be separated into two parts, the food part and the bar part. If you couldn't find seats in the bar part you sat in the food part which looked exactly the same as the bar part, except you had to order a plate of fries with the five pitchers of beer you just ordered. This used to be a common thing in some places downtown. Part of the liquor license said food had to be served as they were a food primary place (I assume because the Cambie was so large they just split it into two). Fortunately that law has been done away with and you can just order five pitchers of beer without pretending you actually wanted food too.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Madkal posted:

Awww man the Cambie menu takes me back. The place used to be separated into two parts, the food part and the bar part. If you couldn't find seats in the bar part you sat in the food part which looked exactly the same as the bar part, except you had to order a plate of fries with the five pitchers of beer you just ordered. This used to be a common thing in some places downtown. Part of the liquor license said food had to be served as they were a food primary place (I assume because the Cambie was so large they just split it into two). Fortunately that law has been done away with and you can just order five pitchers of beer without pretending you actually wanted food too.

My first bar fight and closing out for the night was at the Cambie. :allears: Great place to watch hockey though!

Doesn’t matter now though cause we’re all gonna die if we step outside for more than five seconds. Can’t wait until my essential working husband brings it home! Yay!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

I was exposed at the gym I go to for my health

gently caress me, right?

I always knew exercise was unhealthy.

Good luck buddy, hopefully you dodged a bullet.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Well today's the fourth day I'm coughing my head off but at least the fever's sort-of abated, and my resting heart rate isn't in the 90s anymore, so... :unsmith:?

Got a PCR test today so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Same! I've had pretty much every symptom since Friday - did a PCR on Saturday and I'm still waiting on the results. Good luck!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

infernal machines posted:

I always knew exercise was unhealthy.

Good luck buddy, hopefully you dodged a bullet.

Look, it's simple.

Gym: unhealthy
Ordering $75 worth of Popeyes: about as healthy a thing as you can do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Look, it's simple.

Gym: unhealthy
Ordering $75 worth of Popeyes: about as healthy a thing as you can do

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jesus christ the AHS website is a broken mess.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yup the theater near me is closed, hrrm, Matrix isn't available for streaming in Canada, I might need to do the extremely ironic thing and use a VPN?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pleads posted:

small indie government

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Gyms closing in BC. Usually wouldn't care much about that except I had been using the gym for my physio rehab sessions. Now I feel like a dope for not getting any gym equipment for my apartment earlier on.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alberta NDP MLA Thomas Dang had police execute a search warrant on his house.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-mla-thomas-dang-resigns-from-ndp-caucus-after-rcmp-searches-home-1.6294219

They're saying it's related to when they hosed up the vax record website and you could access anybody else's info, I'm guessing he probably used it to look at the vax status of UCP members.

flakeloaf posted:

Well today's the fourth day I'm coughing my head off but at least the fever's sort-of abated, and my resting heart rate isn't in the 90s anymore, so... :unsmith:?

Got a PCR test today so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Stay safe, friend. Do you have a pulse oximeter?

e: Jason Kenney and Jason Copping are blaming Trudeau for not getting them enough rapid tests, even after saying they only shipped 500,000 of the 2.5 million they had last week.
e2: They just banned dancing, This is footloose all over again!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 21, 2021

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good site to buy the at-home covid tests? Relying on the BC government is once again a bad idea, my friend called yesterday for a test and is getting one on Friday, great lead time.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/thejustinfisher/status/1472968740316844041?s=21

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yup the theater near me is closed, hrrm, Matrix isn't available for streaming in Canada, I might need to do the extremely ironic thing and use a VPN?

it's only ironic if you pirate it

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pleads posted:

I was trying to book a booster shot today but the search tool was showing exactly one location in all of Calgary that was doing Moderna shots. Meanwhile my coworkers could see dozens of locations after entering the exact same information...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eej posted:

it's only ironic if you pirate it

I feel that piracy or using a vpn to be roughly analogous in terms of "subverting capitalism" and since Neo initially got "in trouble" ostensibly for being a hacker well, its fitting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Powershift posted:

Stay safe, friend. Do you have a pulse oximeter?

My watch thinks it's one, but it's not terribly precise. I just lie down for a bit, and then stand up really fast.