Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The weird grammar does sell a sense of surreality to the whole thing, like it's been translated through multiple languages into something still coherent but unplacably foreign. Or, alternately, like it's being written by an insane person in moments of relative lucidity. It suits the Synnibar-esque vibe while still being largely readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

potatocubed posted:

And yeah, Middenarde in its original form was accidentally amazing in a very similar way to Spellpunk Cyberfight here -- but apparently the author of Middenarde didn't like what they had created and stripped all the fun out of their game.

Yeah, apparently the Exalted-esque shenanigans were not intentional, and when I informed them that they could either double down on dirtfarming or, my favourite, embrace the goof, they chose to double down on the dirtfarming... and then expand the game with Fantasy Wargaming-esque methods of handling deities and the worship thereof. Sadly it didn't recapture the goofiness of the first version, it was just really lame.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I can't believe they killed the Birdlord.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Drakyn posted:

I can't believe they killed the Birdlord.

I also notice that Middenarde is now out of testing and on Drivethru... perhaps time for a final definitive review?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Age of Sigmar: Maggotkin of Nurgle (3rd Edition Update)
Gross Growths

The info on the Garden of Nurgle is essentially unchanged. Our big shifts, in fact, are that we now have actual subfaction writeups!

The Munificent Wanderers are even more obsessed with spreading disease than most of Nurgle's daemons. They believe that any time not spent spreading plague is a wasted moment, and that any soul that never feels the touch of disease is a tragic loss. They believe it is their duty to spread and expand forever. The Plague Legion rarely remains in one place long, as they feel the need to constantly travel to spread Nurgle's blessings. A lot of their attitude is drawn from the lessons of threir commander, a Great Unclean One named Thrombolhox the Giving. He was a student of Ku'gath, one of Nurgle's original servants and most accomplished ones. Thrombolhox is said to have once destroyed the entire city of Thimara in a week purely with sickness after he was summoned by a small cult.

In battle, Thrombolhox is unfailingly polite and cheery with his foes even as he has them killed. While some of this is probably just that daemons are broken, unhinged beings, but some scholars believe that the daemon represents the portion of Nurgle's mind that truly believes he is benevolent and generous or which does not understand the terrible harm he does. This might explain the singleminded devotion of the Wanderers and the fact that even their normally grumpy Plaguebearers are renowned for their constant stupid grins. Because the Wanderers are so favored by Nurgle, they possess many rare and potent diseases, which they infect themselves with before heading into battle, often diving into the slimy rivers of the Garden to collect more or forming massive lines at the cauldrons of disease brewing. The infections are carried out under the gaze of their exacting Spoilpox Scriveners, who calculate the ideal ratios of various infection vectors.

The legendary tallyman Epidemius particularly likes the Wanderers, and he often aids them in their work. Even by daemonic standards, they are relentless in their quest to invade reality, making heavy use not only of corrupted realmgates but even hijacked Clan Pestilens gnawholes or use of cursed artefacts. Many of these artefacts have been recovered by the forces of Order or the Soulblight and shoved into vaults, but it wouldn't take much for most of these artefacts to be turned back into summoning nexuses for daemons. In battle, the Munificent Wanderers are no more subtle. They focus on massed swarms of Plaguebearers who make every effort to infect everyone near them with their own secretions and their Plagueswords. They rarely make any effort to hold territory, though - they quickly move on, looking for new populations to terrorize. Their obsessive need to infect others often makes them hard to stop by more traditional commanders, who find they can't really trick or mislead the daemons because they just ignore traps and strategies in favor of throwing more bodies at problems. They don't even seem to have much self-preservation insintct, willingly dying if it will spread their plagues.

The Befouling Host are also called the Garden's Garrison, and they are one of the most defensive and unbreakable of the Plague Legions. They are stoic and willing to take any punishment, withstanding more than even most other daemons can imagine. Their ability to eundure anything means they are given the job of protecting the Garden and other key sites of Nurgle's power. When they aren't out fighting mortals, they s pend much of their time engaged in constant battles against the armies of the other Chaos Gods who seek to raid Nurg;e's territory.

While they are theoretically led by the Great Unclean One Bul'gla'throx, in practice most accept that the Befouling Host are servants of Horticulous Slimux personally. He is the Grand Cultivator of the Garden, after all, and many of the Befouling Host join him on his campaigns of spreading the Garden's power. Despite this, they have never actually earned his approval in any fashion. Despite this, they believe his glory reflects on them, and they maintain and care for many of Slimux's pet Beasts of Nurgle. The Legion prefers to bog down the enemy with their bodies, allowing the Great Unclean Ones that lead them to unleash sorcery on foes without worry.

The favored disease of the Befouling Host is Lumberlord's Woe, a horrific and transmutive plague that turns the organs of the sick into wood, which then dissolves into rotting pulp. It is deadly, to be sure, but the worst aspect is actually spiritual: anyone infected by Lumberlord's Woe is a beacon for the plague-plants known as Feculent Gnarlmaws, which spread the essence of the Garden. By infecting large groups of mortals with the Woe, the Host can summon entire groves of Gnarlmaws into the world, which then absorb the mortals as food. The Host are constantly looking for new soil in which to plant their abominable crops, and they've been expanding recently, following the Cursed Skies of Be'lakor. They seek to seize large pltos of land, which they will then relentlessly defend and grow horrible new strains of plague on, along with tainted plants of all kinds.

The Droning Guard are deeply feared by mortals, for they appear without warning. All that presages their coming is the humming of insect wings and the darkening of the sky as they descend. They hide among the clouds in massed swarms of Plague Drones, and while they can be smelled at some distance, they are very hard to prepare for. Their fully aerial style of assault lets them bypass many defenses, and they deeply enjoy going after soft targets and civilians to begin with. The Plaguebearer riders really like seeing their Rot Fly mounts eat people, you see. They bear the symbol of the sacred plague fly as a badge granted to them by Nurgle himself, as something about their huge swarms makes the Dark God happy.

Nurgle maintains a close watch on the attacks performed by the Droning Guard, and when they succeed, his mood improves quickly. This favor has made the daemons of the Guard particularly arrogant, and many of their fellows really dislike them. They demand to be respected as the vanguard of Nurgle's armies, and the other daemons think them obsequious yes men who do nothing but suck up to their shared boss. The Guard ignore these rumors, claiming that such rampant jealousy is just proof that they, like a plague, have infected even the hearts of their rivals.

The Droning Guard favored disease is the Soul-lock Shivers, a plage which causes cartilige to painfully shift and grow around the victim's bones, then harden into place. Those who suffer it become completely unable to move but remain alive, feeling pain throughout it all. The daemons too are infected, but rely on their more amorphous nature to handle it. Their leader, Septuklus, actually constantly shifts between a giant mass of slime and a horrible entity of living, solidified bone, making him look much weirder than most Great Unclean Ones. The disease also afflicts the Rot Flies, hardening their carapaces into armor stronger than steel.

Next time: The Blessed Sons, the Drowned Men and the Filthbringers

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Awaiting the moment when the person who wrote Spellpunk Cyberfight either
a) turns out to be a goon
b) turns out to be PurpleXVI
or
c) turns up to say “ha ha, see, indie players will cheer the 5e mechanics if they’re expressed oddly enough!”

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Just got recommender Dark Soul in Satanic Space Scifi After the End of the Universe, and just going by class descriptions, there is no way this thing will ever to out to not be a mess:

https://www.backerkit.com/call_to_action/3cae9ca2-713b-4101-967f-281551ff6e2d/landing

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

hyphz posted:

or
c) turns up to say “ha ha, see, indie players will cheer the 5e mechanics if they’re expressed oddly enough!”
SPCF turning out to be a Ern Malley hoax would be absolutely amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

or

I like the 5e mechanics :shrug: Not as much as 4e's, of course, but they're fine.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

hyphz posted:

or

The last one would be like Santa materializing just to tell you he's not real :(

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

hyphz posted:

God I wish I was this brilliant. Like... almost everything in this game is stuff I've occasionally mused about like "ha ha imagine if the PC was a livestreamer" or "imagine showing up shirtless in a sci-fi setting and catching particle beams with your teeth before throwing them back" or "imagine if space fairies built the internet out of a dead god." But I don't think I ever even considered jamming them all together in the same game or making it this... delightful.

JcDent posted:

Just got recommender Dark Soul in Satanic Space Scifi After the End of the Universe, and just going by class descriptions, there is no way this thing will ever to out to not be a mess:

https://www.backerkit.com/call_to_action/3cae9ca2-713b-4101-967f-281551ff6e2d/landing

This is like Spellpunk Cyberfight's evil twin. Twenty tomes worth of lore and grimdark edginess and probably there's a Lovecraftian deity that circumcizes you with an unresistable gaze attack or something, and instead of using a relatively generic system that everyone at least has a chance of grokking, I bet you that this poo poo is going to be pointlessly complex and idiotic.

Also between the Lilith and the Satanic Entity who's ravaged by "rage and lust," I bet you it's going to have so much gross and unpleasant sex weird in it.

So what I guess I mean is: let me know when I can buy it as a cheap .PDF on drivethru and post about it while weeping.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

JcDent posted:

This is just what I see when I look at 40k.

Except I can read Games Workshop's fonts. The game is called Astro Interns, right?

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins
Nthing on SPCF. This is a beautiful piece of highly stylized weirdness, and probably the best thing I've seen done with 5e's ruleset.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

Icon part 4: Jobs: The Stalwart

I thought for a long time about how to do this (hence my prolonged absence) and I decided that any summary I tried to do of these classes would be idiosyncratic to the point of meaninglessness, and the game is free, so I'm just going to give it to you straight so you can experience the crunch firsthand. Unfortunately that means this is a motherfucker of a post. Apologies/you're welcome/thank you.

Next! This is the Combat Glossary for Icon. The most relevant to each Class are summarized again as part of the class chassis (god, exactly what I mean right there). This is not a bad layout, because the Classes tend to have distinct design spaces. But there’s also a multiclass system (Of course there is!) so eventually most players are going to want to know all of these, and as a DM you have to at least know what’s feasible. Monsters use similar rules but do not build like characters - like Lancer, Icon has pretty robust community support, and there are excellent character sheets and a web app for monster construction, a rough parallel to the very sophisticated Comp/Con, which is bordering on essential for Lancer characters and NPCs. All of which goes to say no, it doesn’t have a roll20 sheet yet, but Massif has a pretty good record on support. If you want to build a character or just get a feel for the bones, this is the one my group uses.

Now, without further ado, a huge list of RPG words.

quote:

Combat Concepts
Resistance to X - Take 1/2 damage from X, rounded up
Armor X - Reduce all incoming damage by X
AoE - Area of effect, usually has a specific pattern. Only one space in an area of effect is the attack space and requires a roll, the others apply area effects automatically.
Auto-hit - This attack doesn’t require an attack roll but automatically hits.
Charge - When used on a slow turn, this ability becomes more powerful.
Cleanse - A character that’s cleansed can either remove all blights, end a mark, or save against all statuses
Combo - Actions with Combo have two or more versions. When you use any combo action, all your combo actions use the next part of their combo when next used. Combos loop back to their first part after their last part. Combos carry over between turns.
Cover - Gain resistance to ranged damage from any attack you have cover from
Cure - A character that’s Cured gains Vigor 1 Damage - Every class has a damage die. Damage comes in three varieties, light (1 die), heavy (2 dice), or critical (3 dice).
• Bonus Damage - Roll one more damage die each time you gain bonus damage and choose the highest 1, 2, or 3, depending on the base damage.
• Boost Damage - Increase damage to the next level (light>heavy for example). If boosted past critical, becomes Godly
• Godly damage - Cannot be reduced by armor or resistance, and ignores vigor
Dash - Special movement that ignores engagement and doesn’t trigger interrupts
Elixir - Heal 50% hp outside of combat per elixir drank. Start with 2 by default.
Fly - A flying character has melee evasion and ignores all terrain effects and movement penalties (including vigilance) from non-flying characters, terrain, and objects. Can move over but not end their turn in edges.
Fray damage - Low fixed damage.
Immune to X - Not affected by X in any way. A character that’s immune to damage or effects doesn’t even count as taking them.
Intangible - Can be targeted, but immune to all damage, effects, conditions, and blights. Doesn’t cause obstruction.
Mark - Place your mark on a specific character. You can only place one mark at a time on each enemy or ally and each ability can only place one mark. If you place a new mark on a character with a mark from you, you can choose which to keep or which to discard.
Obstruction - Can’t move through something that causes obstruction. By default this means foes and terrain.
Phasing - Can ignore obstruction and pass through, but not end your turn in, terrain or characters.
Shove X - Move a character involuntarily X spaces in a straight line away from you. If they would move into another character’s space, or a piece of terrain, they Collide and stop, taking fray damage.
Slay - An effect that triggers when this action reduces a character to 0 hp or forces them to surrender. Can only trigger once per action.
Slow - Go after all other characters. If multiple characters take slow turns, it takes the same order as regular turns (ally/enemy/ally)
Stance - Ongoing effect. A character can only have one stance active at a time and can drop a stance by taking a new stance or as a free action at the start of their turn. When a stance refreshes, regain its effects.
Summon - A character controlled by its Summoner. Abilities that target allied characters cannot target summons unless specifically
mentioned. Summons don’t cause engagement take turns, actions, or movement on their own unless specified. By default, summons have defenses and health equal to their summoner’s and hp equal to 50% of their summoner’s. When reduced to 0 HP, they are removed from the battlefield instead of becoming defeated. They are also removed if their summoner is defeated.
Teleport - Instantly move to a free space within range X. You cannot teleport while winded or if your speed is 0.
Terrain effect - Something that creates or modifies the terrain spaces on the battlefield.

Blights

The Blights are Burning, Electrified, Poisoned, and Frostbite. A character takes piercing damage at the start of their turns equal to the number of unique blights they are afflicted by (up to 4). Abilities become stronger when used against a character suffering from these blights, depending on the ability. Blights can only be cleared by Cleanse or other abilities that specify they can clear blights. Blights cannot reduce a character past 1 hp.

Statuses

Blind - Can only target adjacent spaces
Dazed - +1 curse on attacks
Hatred of X- When taking actions against a foe, must include X character as a target for the action to be valid, as long as that character is in line of sight and in range 3 of either you or your target.
Winded - Cannot dash, teleport, or fly
Pacified - Max damage reduced to 1. Breaks on taking damage from an ability or action.
Stunned - Take 1 less action. Unlike other statuses, automatically clears at the end of your turn. Doesn’t stack.
Staggered - Attackers gain +1 Boon against a staggered character
Slow - Must take slow turns
Vulnerable - All damage taken increased by 1

Special states
Bloody - Under 50% hp
Incapacitated - Speed reduced to 0, can’t take actions, movement, or use abilities. Immune to all damage. Characters that are defeated and incapacitated by default when reduced to 0 HP. Player characters take a wound when they’re defeated.

Ongoing Statuses
Ongoing statuses cannot be purged or removed (for example, by becoming sturdy or unstoppable).

Positive effects:

Counter - Deal fray damage to your attacker after being attacked, hit or miss.
Defiance - Prevents hit points from being reduced past 1 hp. When this triggers, remove this effect.
Dodge - Immune to all damage and effects on miss or successful save. Resistant to damage from non-attack spaces of area effects.
Evasion - Roll a d6 when targeted by an attack. On a 4+, the attack automatically misses. Check before the attack roll.
Guardian - Special interrupt. When an ally you can see in range 3 is targeted by an attack, you can dash up to 2 spaces towards that ally, ignoring vigilance. Then, if you’re adjacent, you can change the target of the attack to you.
Pierce - Ignores armor.
Regeneration X - Gain vigor X at the end of your turn
Skirmisher - Can move diagonally
Stealth - Cannot be directly targeted except froman adjacent space. Breaks on taking or dealing damage.
Sturdy - Immune to shove, daze, stagger, and stun
True strike - Ignores dodge, evasion, and does not trigger guardian
Unstoppable - Immune to all statuses and can’t be shoved.
Vigilance - Foes can’t dash in your engagement and can’t move through your space Vigor X - Gain a shield that goes over your hit points, equal to X times your health value. Damage goes to Vigor before Hit Points. Vigor does not stack, and when you gain Vigor you can choose to keep the old value or gain the new value. Lose all vigor at the end of combat.

I’ll include a quick reference to this for future posts, as well, because this is absolutely mandatory for understanding the Classes. Keep an eye on the Combo rules in particular, they get complicated.

So, that’s the core of the tactical combat game. To see how it works, we can begin with Jobs. To clear things up a little, Classes are a group of 3 (eventually 4) Jobs that generally do the same thing. The Class chassis dictates your stats and a basic set of traits, which then get added onto by your Job. You then customize your Job by selecting Abilities (2 at first level), each of which has two Talents you can take in any order (even though it -really- looks like you’re supposed to take one and then other) and then a Master Talent, which upgrades it in a major way. You only get 5 Masteries maximum if you play through to 12 so it’s a big deal. I am also compelled to point out that the advancement table currently asks you to pick either two talents or a Bond power, which is one of very few places where the narrative/tactical blood/brain barrier is pierced. I don't like this much at all

There’s two terms in these class writeups we haven’t seen before. The first is Meter - this is basically your Class-specific Shenanigan, and your Abilities interact with it. The second is Gambits, and Gambits are the multiclass system, we’ll get into it when we do advancement. The other is Meter - these are Class-specific mechanics that you build around using, generating, and setting up. For Stalwarts it’s Heroics, basically a “supercharge this ability” token you can spend and that incentivizes you to play to your class’s archetype - we’ll get to see them in practice in the Jobs.

The Stalwart
Weapon master and unparalleled soldier

Stalwarts are your fighters/tanks. They block enemy movement, control battlefield space, have more HP (I think this might have been why Health is a listed attribute when it never changes, but they went with using Vigor for this kind of thing instead). The class chassis gets:

quote:

Class Traits:

Vigilance: Foes can’t dash in your engagement or move through your space for any reason.
Bash (1 action): Shove an adjacent character 1 space
Toughness: Start every combat with vigor 1.
Guardian (Interrupt): Once a round, if an ally in range 3 is targeted by an attack, you may dash 2
spaces towards that ally if you’re not adjacent to them, ignoring vigilance. Then, if you’re adjacent,
you may swap the primary target to you instead, even if you’re not in range.

Meter: Heroics

Stalwarts can perform Heroics, more powerful
versions of their regular abilities. They get one
free Heroic use of an ability per combat,
however, other abilities may allow additional uses
of Heroics.

Stalwart Gambit.

If you take a Stalwart ability as a non-Stalwart
class, you get Heroics

Class STATS:
Chapter 1:
Health: 6
HP: 24
Elixirs: 2
Armor: 2
Defense: 8
Speed: 4 (Run 2, Dash 4)
Attack bonus: +1
Fray damage: 2
Damage: D6/2d6/3d6
Basic Attack: Physical Melee or Physical Range 3

Chapter 2:
Health: 8
HP: 32
Armor: 3
Defense: 10
Attack bonus: +2
Fray damage: 2
Damage: D8/2d8/3d8

Chapter 3:
Health: 10
HP: 40
Armor: 4
Defense: 12
Attack bonus: +3
Fray damage: 3
Damage: D10/2d10/3d10

And the first of our Stalwarts is the shield-bashin arrow-catchin horned uh elf thing maybe? known as a

quote:

Bastion

Proud and unbreakable knight.

Traits:
Momentum: When you shove one or more characters with an ability, you can dash after one of them the same number of spaces you shoved them as an effect, ending adjacent to them if possible.
Bull’s Strength: When you shove a foe and trigger Collide, they must save or also become dazed. If that foe is already dazed, they are also stunned. When you trigger Collide on a foe with a non-Heroic ability, your next ability is empowered and becomes Heroic
Black Rock Punisher: Once during your turn, when you take an action that shoves, dazes, ors tuns a character that’s immune to that effect
(such as from sturdy or unstoppable), deal light damage to them as an effect.
Rook: Allied characters can use you for cover

Abilities
HERACULE

Light Physical Ranged Attack
Range 3, True Strike
Hurl your shield as a discus with irrepressible force.
Attack: On hit: deal light damage. Miss: 1 damage. Critical hit: Boost damage.
Effect: On hit: Shove 1. A different foe in range 3 from your target is also shoved 1.
Heroic: All ranges and shoves from this ability increased by +1

Talents:
I. Charge: Increase all ranges by +1, deal bonus damage, and the primary target must save or be dazed
II. Trigger Heracule’s effect +1 times when it triggers.

Master talent: ETERNAL DISCUS
Heracule’s effect triggers even on miss, and the effect now deals fray damage

BATTERING RAM
1 Action
Use your shield, weapon, or armored fist and send your foe flying.
Effect: An adjacent foe is shoved 2 spaces
Heroic: Increase shove to 4
Talents:

I. Effect: If your target collides, they release an
explosion, dealing fray damage as a blast 1
area effect centered on them
II. Effect: Shove all adjacent characters to your target’s final position 1 space

Master talent: GATE SMASHER
Battering Ram’s target can pass through characters while being shoved instead of triggering collide (you can choose for each character). If collide isn’t triggered, characters they pass through take fray damage and are shoved 1.

SHIELD SLAM
Heavy Physical Melee Attack
Crash your greatshield into the earth, sending up devastating shockwaves.
Attack: On hit: Deal heavy damage. Miss: Light damage. Critical hit: Boost damage.
Effect: All characters adjacent to your target take light damage, then are shoved 1. Then shove your target 1.
Heroic: Increase the range of the effect area to all characters in range 2 of your target
Talents:
I. Charge: Primary target must also save or become winded
II. If Shield Slam’s effect shockwave shoves 2 or more characters, gain vigor 1.

Master talent: LAND WASTER
Before Shield slam’s effect triggers, you tear up the very ground, creating a terrain effect of a height 1 piece of terrain in range 3 of you. This terrain lasts until the end of combat.

VALIANT
2 Actions
Charge forth, with your shield held before you,
battering aside foes.
Effect: Dash in a line AoE equal to your speed +2, phasing through characters.
Area Effect: Foes you pass through take fray damage and must save or become dazed, then shoved 1 to either side.
Heroic: Daze the first enemy in the area of effect, then shove them to the end of the line, moving them with you. They can save to avoid this effect.
Talents:
I. Charge: Increase the dash by +2
II. Effect: You may repeat the dash effect back to your starting point, but don’t trigger any other effects. If you pass through 2 or more characters with any part of this move. gain vigor 1

Master talent: MARATHON
Heroic valiant costs 1 action and moves speed +4

LIVING FORTRESS
1 action, stance
Become as the castle, unmovable and unbreakable. Arrows crash against your skin and you laugh.

Stance: While in this stance, your max speed becomes 0 and you cannot dash or teleport, but you become sturdy, gain cover, and for allies count as both a character and a height 1 piece of terrain for movement, cover, obstruction, and abilities At the start of your turn, you can refresh this stance until the start of your following turn, or exit it. Additionally:
• Living Fortress ends if you attack.
• Any characters standing on you when you exit this stance are shoved into an adjacent space as an effect
Heroic: Gain Regeneration 1 in Living Fortress.
Talents:
I. Grant sturdy to any allies while they are
adjacent to you in Living Fortress
II. Gain counter while in Living Fortress

Master talent: IRONSKIN
When you exit Living Fortress, become Unstoppable until you take at least 1 damage to hp

CATAPULT
Interrupt 1
Use your shield as a springboard to set up ally maneuvers or to deflect projectiles
Trigger: An ally moves into an adjacent space
Effect: Shove that ally 3 spaces in any direction. If they collide with a character, they take no damage, deal fray damage to that character, and can dash 1 as an effect.
Heroic: The shoved ally is shoved 5 spaces and deals light damage on colliding instead
Talents:
I. Your shield becomes a valid target for allied ranged non-AoE attacks. When targeted, you can expend Catapult to retarget the attack from your position to a new valid target in range 3.
II. You can trigger catapult when targeted by a magic attack to gain evasion against the attack. If the attack misses, deal light magical damage to your attacker as an effect.

Master talent: MANGONEL
Catapult becomes Interrupt 2

Limit Break: HELION
2 resolve, 1 action

Your shield becomes the sun: a discus of light and motion, shattering enemy ranks and spurring allies forth.

Effect: You hurl your shield, and every foe on the battlefield in line of sight is shoved 1 space in a direction of your choice. Then you may shove all allies and allied summons 1 space in a direction of your choice.

Master talent: PERFECTED HELION
You can repeat this effect once on either allies or enemies.

These guys are big on positioning. They’re sticky on the field, have lots of repositions including no-save ones. They have standard damage dice progression but their armor is significant and considerable (they can no-sell some categories of abilities entirely, for example, Fray Damage just bounces off them.). Regeneration is giant in this game - it’s a free Vigor every round, which is 6 hit points, in a game where most attacks do 1d6+chapter damage. Only three Jobs get it as an option and usually it’s something you have to give someone else, not yourself. Not being able to Attack is an important distinction, as it generally means (thanks to the game’s precision of language) only Attacks, you can do other stuff - moves, shoves, etc - and not break things. Specific beats general.

The other thing that occurs to me about this class is that it shows a good deal of DnD4e lineage. The moves and position control is good. Granting Cover means that allies take half damage from ranged attacks if the enemy has to shoot through you, so you can reposition friends and enemies alike to serve as a, well, bastion.

The problem, of course, is that tanking and maneuvering isn’t damage, and this character will really struggle to shine in combat against some that is immune to shoves. You can bounce weaker enemies off walls and each other in order to do Fray damage, but that’s just not a lot of damage. It is enough to wipe out Chaff, the game’s standard 1 hp swarm enemy, but other than that, you’re looking at most enemies have 24 hp. My players found this guy kind of underwhelming in concept, although I understand it has fans.

Another thing I like is that Icon is mostly equipment agnostic. “Throwing your shield” is pure flavor text. This, alone, I think solves a lot of problems games have with martial classes that use throwing weapons: they don’t have to choose which half of their job they want to be good at. That’s just better unless you’re really into the crunch of a simulationist combat engine, which, well, I at least think (as a recovering pathfinder player) is Purely Better as an idea.

quote:

Demon Slayer

Monster hunter and dark knight

Traits:

Wind Up: Foes save against the effects of any charged action with +1 curse
Demon Strength: Once on your turn, you can make any ability Heroic. If you do, you can’tattack or use Heroics on your following turn.
Hissatsu: If you don’t attack during your turn, your next attack ability gains +1 boon, boosted damage and all damage becomes Godly. This effect ends after you attack, hit or miss.
True Horn: You are sturdy from the start of each round until the start of your turn.

Abilities:
DEMON CUTTER

Light Physical Melee Attack
Line 3, True Strike, Combo
You slash your weapon in a deadly swing sending cutting shockwaves out that rip through enemy armor.
Attack: On hit: deal light damage. Miss: 1 damage. Critical hit: Boost damage. Area effect: Fray damage
Effect: Your attack target must save or become vulnerable
Heroic: Against foes larger than you, boost damage and gain pierce
Combo: DEMON SPLITTER
Change effect area to Arc 3
Talent:
I. Charge: Action deals bonus damage and you can dash 1 before making it
II. Effect: If you catch 2 or more foes in the area, gain vigor 1 after this ability resolves

Master Talent: BLOODY SWATHE
You may increase or reduce the size of Demon Cutter and Demon Splitter by 2 when you use them

COMET
1 action, Line 3
Your weapon becomes like a meteor, burning through the air as you smash it into the earth.

Effect: You hurl your weapon in a line 3 area effect, dealing fray damage to characters it passes through. Place your weapon at the end of the line, or as close as possible. Your weapon becomes a piece of terrain (height 1) while it’s out. You can’t attack while it’s out. When you move into an adjacent space or start your turn there, you may pick the weapon up, ending this effect. Any characters standing on your weapon when you pick it up are shoved to the side of their choice.
Effect: At the start of your turns, you may teleport adjacent to your weapon.
Heroic: Your weapon releases a blast 1 explosion as an area effect when it lands. Characters caught in the area must save or take light physical damage.
Talent:
I. When you pick up your weapon, your next attack deals bonus damage
II. Effect: When you pick your weapon up, deal fray damage to an adjacent foe and shove 1

Master Talent: SINGING BLADE
If you choose, your weapon automatically returns to you at the start of your next turn, no matter the distance, drawing an Arc between you by the shortest route possible. Characters it passes through are shoved 1 to either side, and you pick it up when it returns to you.

DRAKEN CROSS
Heavy Physical Melee Attack
Cross 2 (self)
Fill the air with the flurry of blades.
Attack: On hit: Deal heavy damage. Miss: Light damage. Critical hit: Boost damage Area effect: Light damage
Charge: Deal bonus damage and increase area of effect to cross 4 (self)
Heroic: Dash 1 and repeat the area of the attack, applying only the area effect. This ability can’t hit the same character more than once.
Talent:
I. If this ability only catches one character in its area, boost attack damage to critical damage.
II. This action deals bonus damage against vulnerable targets

Master Talent: WICKED WEAVE
Gain Effect: Dash 1 and repeat the attack area, applying only the area effect. Stacks with the Heroic version.

WEAPON VAULT
1/turn, Free action
Use your great weapon as a vaulting pole, and
soar into the sky.
Effect: Fly to any space next to an adjacent foe. That foe is shoved into the space you just left. Weapon vault can’t be used on any turn you attack, and you can’t attack on any turn you use weapon vault.
Heroic: You may dash 1 before and after Weapon Vault triggers.
Talent:
I. When you weapon vault, save against a status or end a blight or mark.
II. Charge: Foe also must save or become winded.

Master Talent: DEMON DANCE
Weapon vault becomes 3/turn

OVERKILL
1 action
Time to end this.
End your turn. Your next attack gains On hit:
Your attack slams your foe’s defenses and leaves them wide open. Your foe loses all armor and resistance after the attack resolves. This effect ends after they are next damaged by an attack or ability.
Charge: Your target must also save or become vulnerable
Heroic: You can dash up to 3 spaces before releasing the overkill attack.
Talent:
I. While holding Overkill, you can dash 2 as an effect after taking damage
II. Your Overkill attack also deals bonus damage

Master Talent: BRAVER
When you take Overkill, you are unstoppable until the start of your next turn.

ROYAL GUARD
1 action, Stance
Bat aside every strike at you with supernatural precision.
Stance: When you take this stance, the next time you take damage from a foe’s attack, reduce it to 0. When you end a turn, refresh this stance if you didn’t attack.
Heroic: Gain counter while in Royal Guard.

Talent:
I. When you reduce damage with Royal Guard, deal bonus damage with your next ability
II. You can spend Royal Guard on damage sources targeting adjacent allies

Master Talent: DEMON SKIN
Royal Guard stacks twice. When it refreshes, add 1 stack.

Limit Break: SPLIT
HEAVEN AND HELL
3 resolve
Free Action
Sever Divinity and cut through the threads of possibility. Pour all your rage into one blow and topple the Gods.
End your turn and charge up a God Cutting Blow. While you’re holding this blow, you are slow (ongoing) and have resistance to all damage. This effect ends when you take an attack. Your next melee or ranged attack gains +1 boon, gains true strike, deals bonus damage, deals Godly damage, and additionally releases a shockwave as a line area effect that is 3 spaces wide and goes the length of the battlefield, passing through and including the primary target of your attack and phasing through all terrain or obstructions. All characters it sweeps through take light godly damage as an area effect and are shoved 1 directly away from you.

Master Talent: BURY THE LIGHT
Deal godly fray damage once to the final character hit by the shockwave for every hostile character the blow passes through before hitting them, up to six times.

I just said the system is equipment agnostic and it pulls out this “you throw your weapon” poo poo. drat. At least its purpose is to have you teleport to it and draw it all cool from the ground.

I love a lot of these abilities but in play it sounds like this settles into a rhythm fast. A lot of Demon Slayer’s powers revolve around not attacking to charge Wind Up, Demon Strength and Hissatsu, which are all powerful, and you’re just drowning in Heroics. In practice the class ends up alternating on-turns and an off-turns and while Icon fights do tend to last longer than the usual 2-3 rounds that dnd-alikes do, it still is asking a lot of a player to do a setup turn and just hope they’re in position to use their cool ability later. You can mitigate this with popcorn initiative - Demon Slayer goes last one round, first the second, so you have minimal time for enemies to enact shenanigans, but that gambit is useful to a lot of classes. I imagine the intended gameplay is “Bastion sets up, Demon Slayers puts down.” This is only going to be exaggerated in the next edition where Hissatsu is going to be allowed to charge for two turns for an even bigger attack and AoE, which feels faintly ridiculous to me - asking a fighter player not to do damage for two rounds in order to put down a huge blow is entirely fitting with the anime rear end bullshit this game promises, but it feels really hard on the player who has to hope there’s room for his big drop the hammer moment in the fight’s architecture. This class is a darling of the optimizer types for white room combat scenarios and people who have played them seem to like it, tho. Maybe I am just brain-poisoned by too much hackety slash.

Oh, and as a reminder from the interminable effects chart at top of page: Sturdy grants you immunity to most all forced movement and most of the status effects, Unstoppable makes you immune to -all- status effects, and Godly damage ignores armor and vigor to go straight to For Real hitpoints. If you’re into the power fantasy of a master warrior who bides his time and facetanks his way through his enemies before unleashing a slow series of terrifying one hit kills, this is about the best expression of that idea I’ve seen in an RPG.

Anime as gently caress.

quote:

Head Lopper

(No flavor text for this dude)

Traits:
Furious Berserk: When you’re bloodied, you are sturdy and deal bonus damage with all abilities.
Burning Blood: You can take a wound to make an ability Heroic and double the distance of any flight, dashes, or shoves made as part of that action.
Heart of Arenheir: Start every combat with Defiance. After every combat scene, heal one wound if you used Burning Blood.
Great Leap: When you move onto a lower elevation from a higher one, gain flying until your movement finishes.

Abilities
Valkyrie
Light Physical Melee Attack
Attack: On hit: deal light damage. Miss: 1 damage. Critical hit: Boost damage
Effect: Attack target must save or become winded.
Effect: You can fly 1 towards your target before making this attack.
Heroic: Fly 2 instead and character gets +1 curse on the save.

Talents:
I. Charge: Increase flight by +1
II. Gain true strike if you started this ability from higher elevation

Master talent: VALHALLA Attack gains Slay: gain flying until the end of your
next turn.

Dropkick
1 Action
Effect: Fly 1. When you end your movement, you and an adjacent foe must both physical save or take light damage and become dazed.
Effect: If you fly from a higher elevation, increase the daze to a stun (on both of you).
Heroic: Fly 2 instead and foe is shoved 1 on a failed save.
Talents
I. Dropkick deals boosted damage to flying foes
II. Charge: Character saves with 1 curse

Master: GIANT KICKER
At 25% hp, you may fly +2 more spaces with Dropkick and Dropkick becomes a line 2 area effect.

Takedown
Heavy Physical Melee attack
Attack: On hit: Deal heavy damage. Miss: Light damage. Critical hit: Critical damage.
Effect: You and your foe must each save or become stunned.
Slay: Gain vigor 1
Heroic: Only stuns your target
Talents:
I. If you’re suffering from a status or blight when you take this ability, it gains true strike
II. If you takedown an already stunned target, boost damage

Master: NECK SNAPPER
If you’re at 25% hp or lower, the damage from this ability becomes godly.

Colossus
1 Action
Effect: Smash the battlefield, creating a height 1 space of terrain in an unoccupied space in range 3. This terrain lasts until the end of combat, or until you use this ability again, in which case it crumbles to dust.
Heroic: Characters adjacent to the terrain take fray damage and are shoved 1 away from it when the terrain space appears.
Talents:
I. When the terrain crumbles, create difficult terrain in its space.
II. If you're bloody, create an additional terrain space. Both crumble if you use this ability again. A character can only be affected by the heroic portion of this ability once.

Master Talent: WOLFHEART
Colossus becomes a 1/turn free action if you’re at 25% hp or less.

Great Suplex
2 Actions
Effect: You pick up an adjacent foe. You may fly up to 3 spaces, carrying your foe with you, and slam them into the ground. You and your foe both take light physical damage. Place your target in any adjacent unoccupied space.
Heroic: Decrease action cost to 1
Talent
I. If you’re suffering from a status or blight whenyou take this ability, damage becomes godly.
II. Charge: Increase base flight distance by +1

Master: TITANHEART
You can target two adjacent foes with this ability

Blood rage
1 actions, stance
End your turn and gain Stance: While in this stance you deal bonus damage. When you enter this stance, or when it refreshes, boost the damage of your next attack ability. After using that ability, you are inflicted with dazed.
You can keep this stance even if defeated. Refresh
this stance:
• If you are reduce to 0 hp
• If you are reduced below 50% hp
• If defiance triggers
Heroic: Gain defiance when entering blood rage.
Talent:
I. While in blood rage, all attacks gain slay: fly 1 as an effect
II. If you’re bloody, your Blood Rage attack also gains true strike

Master: Steppenwolf
1/combat, you may reduce yourself to 1 HP whenentering Blood Rage. If you do, gain vigor 3.

Limit Break: GIGANTAS CRUSHER
2 actions
3 resolve
Effect: You grab an adjacent non-monstrosity character. That character must physical save. If they haven’t acted yet this round, they automatically fail the save. Even if that character saves successfully, you grab them, and you both soar into the air. Remove both of you from the battlefield. At the start of that character’s turn, you come spinning back to earth, slamming that character into the battlefield in an unoccupied space in range 3 of your original location. You take 25% of your hp in physical damage. Your character takes 50% of their max hp as godly damage, or 25% on a successful save.

Master Talent: Blood of the Wolf Soul
This ability works on monstrosities, but can only deal 25% of their maximum hp

This character features a number of design elements we're going to see again. First is wounds-for-power and auto-recovery of those wounds (see Burning Blood and Heart of Arenheir). Second is Bloodied as a status, which is below 50% hitpoints. It does feel kind of weak to me because by default unless you’re getting badly bagged on you probably won’t hit Bloodied until round 2 or 3 of a combat. However, it is better than most systems with a Bloodied mechanic, because you have 4 healthbars in Icon. Odds are good you can get there and stay there, and Burning Blood means you can force yourself down into a lower health tier and get there faster by taking a wound in exchange for playing with fire. That’s mechanically interesting and I have no idea how optimal it is because my player has been doing it every fight without exception. Suplex, Blood Rage and Gigantas Crusher are all awesome abilities. Making damage godly and doing a set percentage of an enemy’s health, especially a monstrosity, is extremely valuable.

(This statblock also references Physical saves. That’s not in the game anymore, it’s just “players save on 10+, monsters save on 12+.”)

The ability to create terrain like Colossus seems kind of fiddly at first, but being at height 1 over the battlefield gives you a boon on attacks and a curse on being attacked, and you have Flight and Great Leap to maneuver more easily. I get the impression the intended play is creating a pillar you fling yourself off to clown on people. You are going to attract a ton of aggro, and you’re going to be moving a lot, but no one is going to be moving through you. Not having attacks of opportunity really opens up space for mobile martials. Again, though, this is a dynamic, interesting melee Job.

So that is our first Class of Jobs. Next week we will move on to Vagabonds, the strikers, stabbers, and mobility class, who have learned the secret art of moving diagonally. Also, if people want to suggest character concepts, I’m happy to try to make a character that fits the bill. Til next time!

spider bethlehem fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 21, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I hope I don't come across as an rear end in a top hat, but maybe instead of just copy-pasting, you could get rid of the superfluous carriage returns?

ICON loving rules.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
Or, you know, just not do transcription from the book. It gets real tiresome real fast.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

CitizenKeen posted:

I hope I don't come across as an rear end in a top hat, but maybe instead of just copy-pasting, you could get rid of the superfluous carriage returns?

ICON loving rules.

yeah, you're probably right. fixed.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PurpleXVI posted:

God I wish I was this brilliant. Like... almost everything in this game is stuff I've occasionally mused about like "ha ha imagine if the PC was a livestreamer" or "imagine showing up shirtless in a sci-fi setting and catching particle beams with your teeth before throwing them back" or "imagine if space fairies built the internet out of a dead god." But I don't think I ever even considered jamming them all together in the same game or making it this... delightful.

Do you have an evil/good poster twin named MaroonXVII who might have written the game?

JcDent posted:

Just from title I thought it was going to be an RPG parody of grimdark bullshit like Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood was to modern blackspoitation movie, but no. They're serious. Soooooper serious. So yeah, this will suck like a Black Hole of Gravitational Pulling Hardness.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JcDent posted:

"ambient heavy dark world" sure okay hail satan i guess.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spellpunk Cyberfight: Dark Time of Galaxy: Centermost Loredex

Heartbreak

Have you ever had one of those whirlwind romances? Where you fall head over heels for someone and for like, a week, maybe two, the universe is just completely different. They can do nothing wrong. Nothing can get you down and then it just... seeps away. You realize you didn't have as much in common as you thought, you realize that something about them just bugs you in ways you can't get over, that everything else about them doesn't make up for... and that's how Spellpunk gets me right now.

There's still like, a chapter of decent stuff left, funny little bits of lore writing about the cosmology like...

Spellfight posted:

More accurately described as Mildly Psychic Mechanica Realm, intermesh is reflection of all machines and also data stored within mildly psychic crystals. Created aeons ago, Metaphysicists have long debated exact nature of intermesh.

Space Sylph culture contains many allusions to god of theirs which died in creation of intermesh, but to what that symbolises, trivialists are uncertain. Many academics believe that this might be that old academic structures of Sylph society had to change with advent of intermesh. According to many trivialists, it is most likely that this is referring to birth of online courses.

All real academics would know that what unintelligent people thought were gods are just pillars of primordial energies, coalesced with psychic energies to create self operating mental construct within dreaming mind of galaxy’s subtle energetic body.

Yes, as many spiritualists have discovered, they respond to prayer, have great sway over particular domains or reality and also they appear to be greatly invested in reality. However, universities strongly advise that one should not let mad illusions of confused and also emotional spiritualists deceive you from ways of modern academia. They want you to know that these gods are, in fact, little more than very complex artificial Brilliance, no different than simple cyberspirits that operate your computer.

And this is all great. It's insanely awesome and I'm here for this beautiful writing, but the more I think about it, the more I realize how just not here I am for the loving system. Like... everything about the writing tells us about a wild, awesome universe where narrative power is more vital than specific +X ratings in your Adequacy Spheroid or whatever, where abilities have creative uses and you can challenge someone to a Ryoshimon battle at the drop of a hat rather than after rolling fifty dice. But the system just doesn't back it up. The system is loving 5E D&D despite everything that's attempted to defuse it, with simplifying some of the numbers and easing the XP curve and adding Environment Seasoning and the Location Wizard and all that good poo poo.

Where it shows most, I think, is in the spells. Because you've got stuff like Basic Shot, Chilly Triangle, Morti's Ego Shield and Spheroid of Crushing Banality, but... if you actually read what any of them do, they are all. And I repeat every last loving one of them, renamed 5E D&D spells.

This game deserves a better loving system, and I'm wracking my brain trying to think of which one I can slot it into with a minimum of adjustments. Earnestly I feel like maybe 3rd ed BESM with the narrative bits attached would probably be the easiest way to replicate most of the classes and their feel. I mean, this stuff is basically anime already, which I'm fine with, it rules. Feel free to recommend your favourite choice of system for me to drown my sorrows in.

But man it kinda loving sucks, you know? Why would someone who can write something this funny, creative, uplifting and inclusive choose loving 5E D&D? Was it a bet? Were they drunk? Contractual obligations? Did no one tell them other systems exist?

There's a contact email address inside the book and I am strongly tempted to email it and just ask why... why did you break my heart like this? Like I guess if you held a gun to my head and forced me to play a 5E game, I'd pick this, hands down. Beats doing more ethnic cleansing in the Forgotten Realms or whatever the hell. But having touched that system once I feel no motivation to go back to it. Even more than earlier editions of D&D it just feels soulless.

I wish I could tell you all that the last 150 pages of the game contain something more interesting than copypasted D&D spells with funny names and copypasted D&D equipment with funny names but... sadly they do not. So I guess that unless we get a big ol' "PSYCH!!!! PRANKED U! HERE'S THE REAL SYSTEM WHICH OWNS!" from the developers, this is the end of the review for now.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Every some months I'll check up on F&F to see if there's anything bonkers being showcased and I am drat pleased to be here for Spellpunk Cyberfight.

It's a minor thing compared to everything else in SpCf, but I love that this dude's familiar (?) is a worm-on-a-string.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The heartbreaker tag has hit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, yeah, none of us were here for the mechanics. It's been obvious from the character creation they were a mess/nothing really, it's just the crazy writing that's the draw. You'd just run it with something else, which is sad. It'd be nice for one of these things to have a system that works to go along with the rest of it some day.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
Why... why on earth did you think it'd be anything else? People that go all in on crazy writing never do mechanics. They either copy something extremely conventional or make up stuff that fails to work instantly upon use. That's how this business works.

To be fair, there's only so many ways to do "roll a die to see what happens". At least it isn't yet another PBTA clone. A DnD clone is honestly kind of refreshing at this point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can think of an exception to that in Spire (which both has crazy writing and its own attempt at a narrative system that works pretty well) but yes, that is often the case.

Glaring meaningfully at Troika.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I can think of an exception to that in Spire (which both has crazy writing and its own attempt at a narrative system that works pretty well) but yes, that is often the case.

Glaring meaningfully at Troika.

God, yeah, Troika. There's a heartbreaker and a half, at least SPCF is bolting its cool writing onto a system that is, while not exactly good, is at least functional and ubiquitous enough that you're likely to have at least someone in your group who intuitively grasps it. It isn't good writing attached to unusable nonsense you have to scrap entirely.

Still mad about that initiative system, what the gently caress...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm keepin' feral tower wizards, though.

And probably wizard biscuits.

Troika's poo poo rules can't take those from me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

kommy5 posted:

Why... why on earth did you think it'd be anything else? People that go all in on crazy writing never do mechanics. They either copy something extremely conventional or make up stuff that fails to work instantly upon use. That's how this business works.

To be fair, there's only so many ways to do "roll a die to see what happens". At least it isn't yet another PBTA clone. A DnD clone is honestly kind of refreshing at this point.

Love blinds you, man, love blinds you... looks into the distance longingly

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

It was already clear enough to me that it was a D&D5 hack that I knew I wasn’t going to run it, but I’m also a bit surprised to find the spells are just reskins. Like, sure the classes map to D&D ones but it felt like there was some cool mechanical variation in them, so it’s a bummer if the spells are even lower effort.

Maybe it’s supposed to highlight how limited IP protections are by not covering game mechanics at all? Or maybe it’s just way too much effort to write or modify the huge number of spells a D&Dlike has.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think that leaving the D&D spells the same is kind of the only functional way to deal with the incredible number and pointlessness of D&D spells, and since CPSF is a D&D hack that doesn't care much about mechanics, it was always going to just reproduce them.

Personally I feel like 'replace D&D spells with a small number of generic effects or options you can rename however you want, and that's what Wizards etc have' seems like a perfectly solid hack, but also, some people do enjoy D&D spell lists and you can just let them inflict themselves on the book and vice versa.

This book is what it always was, it's just that not even this book can make D&D spell lists fun to us anymore, for good reason.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PurpleXVI posted:

Spellpunk Cyberfight: Dark Time of Galaxy: Centermost Loredex
There's a contact email address inside the book and I am strongly tempted to email it and just ask why... why did you break my heart like this? Like I guess if you held a gun to my head and forced me to play a 5E game, I'd pick this, hands down. Beats doing more ethnic cleansing in the Forgotten Realms or whatever the hell. But having touched that system once I feel no motivation to go back to it. Even more than earlier editions of D&D it just feels soulless.

I live in a small-to-mid-sized city in the Southern United States. We have a Books-A-Million as our only non-religious/non-used bookstore. I haven't been in there for a few weeks but the last time I was there the RPG section had a copy of The Expanse RPG and I think an Aliens RPG. Everything else was either Pathfinder or 5E AD&D. I'm willing to bet you real fake money that if I go in there tomorrow the same thing will be true.

They're writing the game with the 5E system because they want to people to buy it, play it and run it. So they're using the best-known, most available system to do that. Not the best actual system, just the one people know.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I don't mind 5e. I look forward to running this game that uses 5e for people that like 5e. Why do they like 5e? I don't know, I've tried to get them to play things like Blades or any FATE based system but they don't seem to want to engage and contribute to the narrative and prefer having a dedicated GM and clearly delineated rules. I've been gaming with some of these people for over forty years.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I don't mind 5e. I look forward to running this game that uses 5e for people that like 5e. Why do they like 5e? I don't know, I've tried to get them to play things like Blades or any FATE based system but they don't seem to want to engage and contribute to the narrative and prefer having a dedicated GM and clearly delineated rules. I've been gaming with some of these people for over forty years.

Yeah some people are just like that and have their preferences for how games are run even though I'm not necessarily into it. And Lord knows I am sick of D&D so I'll probably snag this thing and might use it to run 5th as I would prefer. Purple, thanks for the review and I'm sorry you're to heartbroken to continue, but I don't blame you because the last loving thing we need is the D&D spell list in this game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I mean the thing is, if you just keep the 5E "skeleton," i.e. the resolution mechanic and the six stats, then no harm done. But when half the game's classes are defined by their spell lists more than their abilities, and those spell lists lack all the nice pseudo-narrative options handed out literally everywhere else because it's easier to just call Magic Missile a funny name, then it feels like it sinks a bit.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
To be fair, though, while the 5e undercarriage isn't great, I feel like "5e but with actually solid GM/playing advice" is already a pretty big thing in and of itself. To at least acknowledge things like "fail forward" and a whole lot of other advice as well as the shared nature of play (i.e. "tell me what the room looks like, Player X), are huge, and the fiction is funny. I agree though that it's a bit of a pity about the spells, because spells in 5e aren't a lot of fun (which is funny, considering characters without spells are even more boring to play -- hello there, Mr Barbarian!).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Age of Sigmar: Maggotkin of Nurgle (3rd Edition Update)
Very Large Men

The Blessed Sons are the most infamous of Nurgle's forces, a massive collection of cultist-crusaders devoted to spreading worship of Nurgle by force. They are by far the largest and most skilled of the Rotbringer forces, and their legacy is ruin and atrocity. They claim to be descended from the original Rotbringers, but this isn't quite true. Rather, they are a collection of different Nurgle cults that ended up combining together as a result of alliance or conquest. In theory, at least one of the contagiums that made them up might originally descend from the first Rotbringers, but that's hard to trace. They make a point, after all, of defeating other Nurglites and adding them to their forces, giving them the choice of joining the endless crusade or dying. The Blessed Sons were definitely the first to combine forces with the Plague Legions in the War of Life, however.

It likely was originally an alliance of convenience between early Nurglite warlords in Ghyran, but the Sons have taken on their own momentum and essence now. They style themselves after the sump-hydras of their swampy origins, and losing one head only makes the rest of the body turn its attention to you. While the Sons began in the Jade Kingdoms of Ghyran, they have since spread to Cotha in Aqshy, Athanasia in Shyish and many other strongholds. They rule over a broad empire in which the Blightkings that take the field are considered nobles, ruling over an oppressed mass of peasants who are forced to praise Nurgle, grow what food they can to feed the Sons and operate the various plague-engines that craft the diseased, pus-coated weapons that the warroprs wield in battle. The Blightkings also force their peasants to help them brew the various plagues they prefer, occasionally using their slaves' bodies as incubators. The Blessed Sons maintain diplomatic ties to various other groups, like the Doom Lords of Ahramentia, the various Clans Pestilens skaven, and even a number of ogor mawtribes who enjoy the taste of rotting food. They collect tribute and trade in exchange for access to custom-designed diseases or aid in battle from the Blightkings. While these rotting nobles tend to be quite diplomatic and outgoing, they are very bad at maintaining a distinct leadership figure. Indeed, many low-ranking Sons do not know the nature of their own rulers, though they believe that the heart of their empire lies in the depths of Ghyran, where a triad of unholy leaders meditate on Nurgle's glory.

The authority of Blessed Son leadership waxes and wanes depending on how good their plagues are doing, and their symbol, the Chitinous Triptych, represents their belief in three key truths and three leaders...but in practice, the various cults within the Sons are allowed to do whatever they want as long as it spreads Nurgle's will. Their tactics in battle favor mass slaughter, and Blessed Sons warriors are known for their derisive jokes and world-weary humor in battle as they beat people to death. Their treatment of conquered peoples is deliberately bleak and cruel, to break their will and force them into the desperation that best serves Nurgle's worship. They have increasingly begun targeting civilian populations rather than the armies they once focused on. They enjoy using sieges as a psychological weapon, pushing foes into pressure situations in which they make mistakes, because they know that all people tire and entropy eventually wins - so if they can endure long enough, they will be the winners.

The Drowned Men are the rulers of the Slime Fleets of Nurgle, the main naval force of the Rotbringers. Their plagues are the bane of sailors, and their favorite is scurvy. (Yes, you and I know that's a vitamin deficiency. Just accept it.) The first Drowned Men were explorers and sailors who sought only to discover new things, no matter how hard it was to do. However, their ships were struck by epidemics of various sorts, stranding them on the sea. Most died in agony, becalmed and beset by infection. Those who survived, however, descended into dementia and prayers to Nurgle to spare their lives. He rewarded their tenacity with blessings and wind, and they became pirate raiders, attacking other ships and taking them captive. They would force-feed their captives dirty seawater until they either died or embraced Nurgle.

The Drowned Men are shockingly fast despite their bloated, rotund forms. Their ships are rotting hulks of wood and flesh, often infested by Nurglings, but they can take far more damage than their appearance suggests. The fleet isn't all naval any more, either. They've expanded it to include stinking blimps that release unending smog and fetid gas and stolen Kharadron skyvessels that have been rusted and left to decay. Regardless of their vessels, their armies favor massive swarms of Pusgoyle Blightlords, who fly ahead of the ships and entrap their foes from above, offering the main crew a chance to board their targets and slaughter them en masse without worrying about prey escaping.

The Drowned Men can show up in just about any area, though even with their air vessels, they prefer to stick to the oceans...or, at least, they did. Their most recent push has been to expand into the airways of Chamon, where they have begun using yellowed, sickly clouds to launch ambushes on Kharadron trade vessels. They do this for three reason, as three is a holy number to them. Firstly, they are plundering wealth from the rich duardin, and while they are Nurglites, they do appreciate gold and jewels. Second, they're humiliating the forces of hated Tzeentch by encroaching on their territory. And lastly, they're cutting supply lines for Sigmar's forces by taking out some of the most prolific merchants in the Realms.

The Filthbringers are the Rotbringers most devoted to seeking the darkest and most hidden secrets of their god. They study the mysteries of disease in hopes of transforming themselves - quite a literal one, as they seek to ascend beyond their humanoid form and become living disease itself. They are perhaps the contagium most concerned with their own appearance, as they seek to turn everything into a tool for their ascension. Their armor is made from the chitin of wyrr-maggots, the beasts they use to excavate their sacrificial filth pits. They tend to pallid skin, not by any ethnic choice, but as a result of their heavy self-experimentation, which usually involves mass extraction of their own fluids. They are partially magical scientists, partially devoted fanatics, and their ambition is matchless - a rarity among Nurglites. So is their cruelty, which is less rare.

Unlike most contagiums, the Filthbringers are led almost exclusively by sorcerous covens. None have yet achieved the ultimate goal of becoming a disease personally, but they have become the foremost masters of disease magic by a major factor. Their spells grow in strength in the same manner as a disease outbreak, exponentially increasing as more of their sorcerers gather in one place. This makes their magical attacks terrifically potent if given the time togather. While they consider all disease holy, they believe mundane, non-magically augmented plagues to be the tools of limited beings who cannot hope to ascend. They favor by far the stranger and more esoteric creations of their god, like gheist pox, aetherplague, elementally aligned phages or other rare, highly magical plagues.

The Filthbringers are led by the Blighted Septagon, a group of (theoretically) seven mages who are extremely well-favored by Nurgle. Six of them are the very same wizards that founded the group centuries ago to achieve their ultimate transcendence. Some legends claim they are six siblings, lesser members of some minor kingdom's royalty who were unsatisfied with the tiny wealth they were given. The seventh seat is empty - it is held in absentia for Leechlord Festus, whom they have offered it to many times. He's fought alongside them many times, and the Filthbringers are so quick to obey him that they are often seen as his personal army, but he's never formally signed on. Still, the Filthbringers headquarter themselves in the Leech's Lair with Festus, operating primarily out of Ghur so that they can capture various megabeasts and experiment on them to produce yet greater and more terrible magical plagues.

Next time: The Heroes of Nurgle

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
All the moves mentioned so far have just been 5e moves. The monk parrying and then reflecting ranged attacks is exactly the same except with "lasers count because our game has lasers" added. It was just 5e mechanically from the start. The punch a guy far away monk is just the chi blast and elemental monk moves.

The GM advice was good, nothing I hadn't seen before, but its always good to see that a game has it.

All in all though...

hyphz posted:

Its me, I'm the guy that's been waiting for people to realize they've been gushing over 5e mechanics.

Don't get me wrong, I loved a lot of the presentation, some genuinely funny stuff in there and it did some neat twists on giant space civilization mash up!

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
I thought SPCF being mostly reskinned 5e was part of the parody, like how every super-original-do-not-steal fantasy heartbreaker still has you roll 3d6 down the line or whatever.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

OutsideAngel posted:

I thought SPCF being mostly reskinned 5e was part of the parody, like how every super-original-do-not-steal fantasy heartbreaker still has you roll 3d6 down the line or whatever.

Yeah, it's very clear that this might have been a d12+d8 system at some point, in order to be a d20, and that was perhaps a bridge too far.

The joy has always been for the setting and writing and the object, not because the bizarre reimagining of the classes was genuinely transformative into a fully new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
In all honesty, when the author puts their name in loving wingdings font on the cover that's probably a good sign you're about to get trolled and the 5th ed stuff was super apparent as far back as the character races and absurdly obvious once you got to classes. I think the classes are even listed in the exact same order as the 5th ed. PHB.

edit: like I said earlier, I like this game because it lets me settle arguments about what is and what is not possible using D&D. The last time I ran D&D some of the players pitched a shitfit because one guy had a laser pistol.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 22, 2021