Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MooselanderII posted:

That's one hell of a difference, mate.

Nobody said it wasn't. And Biden has to answer for that. But if you're going to blame Biden regarding his legislative agenda in particular failing, I think it's more than fair to take into account "it was probably literally impossible" and the fact that better/more left candidates like Bernie and Warren would've also failed.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ I believe there are 50+ Democratic Presidential primaries and caucuses scheduled for 2024.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow Seas posted:

And Biden has to answer for that.

How do you propose this happens? By what mechanism will he be compelled to answer for it?

Mellow Seas posted:

\/\/\/\/\/\/ I believe there are 50+ Democratic Presidential primaries and caucuses scheduled for 2024.

So are you committing now to not vote for Biden if he makes it through, which he will, because that's how this works?

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 21, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

It sounds to me like BBB was dead when the outcome of the down ballot elections wasn't as great as hoped.
Greenfield, Gideon, AT LEAST Cunningham should have all won their races and yet failed miserably. Do we even have an explanation for why they lost so badly?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

This is a good post thank you for posting it.

Thank you! I wrote it way too late at night so I'm glad it was coherent.:)

Mellow Seas posted:

Nobody said it wasn't. And Biden has to answer for that. But if you're going to blame Biden regarding his legislative agenda in particular failing, I think it's more than fair to take into account "it was probably literally impossible" and the fact that better/more left candidates like Bernie and Warren would've also failed.

Probably, but one of the important objectives of a president vis-a-vis their legislative agenda is to use the bully pulpit to raise as big a stink about it as possible and start busting senatorial kneecaps behind the scenes if it doesn't get passed. I somehow doubt that Biden will achieve that objective, unfortunately.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doc's got the measure of it, don't stick your neck out if there's a bunch of violent maniacs wandering around with axes that nobody's doing anything about anyway

socialsecurity posted:

I think the primary difference would be Sanders would probably try to relieve student debt via EO, but yeah he ain't passing any legislation either.

I think Bernie would've had some options available to him, which isn't the same thing as thinking he'd do them. Most spring from forming a bloc with the actually progressive members of the CPC in the House and turning that into the place where nothing passes unless this group large enough to stop anything is placated somehow, and then do it with anything and everything the moderates and chuds want. GOP votes with the Dems to advance it to the house of lords? Blanket their district with ads and mailers thanking them for helping Bernie advance his agenda in the face of right wing pressure, etc etc

Don't think it'd ever be allowed to happen tho, the chamber leadership would be unchanged and they aren't even able to resist some Senator saying "I object and filibuster" to every single thing and then it just never happens for months and months.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
"What would the other guy have done under the same circumstances" may be a useful counterfactual, but it's not hard to see Bernie 2020 (or 2016) resulting in a different Congress as well. Even if someone thinks Dems gaining a few seats or not having a majority wouldn't make a substantive difference in what he could accomplish, the way that plays out could easily have been something other than the Manchin and Sometimes Sinema Show. I dunno if we can meaningfully talk about what might've been.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

eviltastic posted:

"What would the other guy have done under the same circumstances" may be a useful counterfactual, but it's not hard to see Bernie 2020 (or 2016) resulting in a different Congress as well. Even if someone thinks Dems gaining a few seats or not having a majority wouldn't make a substantive difference in what he could accomplish, the way that plays out could easily have been something other than the Manchin and Sometimes Sinema Show. I dunno if we can meaningfully talk about what might've been.

Oh we absolutely can't, my own "what I'd put money on" doesn't even have the party backing him so I'm really just pulling stuff out of the aether here

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah this unfortunately isn’t new

The people who are ending up in the hospital are frequently anti-vaxxers so their families of course show up to try and give them quack cures

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Epic High Five posted:

Doc's got the measure of it, don't stick your neck out if there's a bunch of violent maniacs wandering around with axes that nobody's doing anything about anyway

Yeah I feel like once you know they're so diehard anti-mask that they won't bend even to see their dying relative for the last time, you know meeting them face-to-face will be unproductive at best

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

seems very fake

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vasukhani posted:

seems very fake

That user has a pretty extensive post history backing up the context. So if it's fake, they've been faking it for a while.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

That user has a pretty extensive post history backing up the context. So if it's fake, they've been faking it for a while.

Oh okay. I just assume basically everything on sites like reddit is an op. Aggregation was a mistake. Web 1.5 forums are where its at.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1473361814071226370

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Tweet's dead for me, what was it?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

What the gently caress is a politicapro link!? Sure would be nice to read more about the source of this.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Bananana posted:

Tweet's dead for me, what was it?

It was screenshots of this post on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/QAnonCasualties/comments/rakxun/my_career_of_treating_patients_has_ended/

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

skylined! posted:

What the gently caress is a politicapro link!? Sure would be nice to read more about the source of this.

quote:

POLITICO Pro is a smart, personalized policy intelligence platform that combines in-depth policy reporting and analysis with sophisticated technology to help you stay one step ahead.
Learn more

Who uses POLITICO Pro?

POLITICO Pro is used by individuals and teams that create, influence or are impacted by policy. POLITICO Pro helps you monitor developments, stay up-to-date on breaking policy news, and manage your policy workflows.

So it's medium or twitter or maybe tumblr but it costs money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

skylined! posted:

This is Politico's partial paywall.

It was discussed in this thread a month or two ago.

They were originally going to go fully paywalled, but people rebelled and the new owner backed down. It also wasn't supposed to start until 2022, so they got a jump on it, apparently.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

It would be hilarious if they said this and then decided that no, we're restarting payments anyway.

By "hilarious" I mean enraging.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Xombie posted:

It would be hilarious if they said this and then decided that no, we're restarting payments anyway.

It’s pretty likely that they do this

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

This post is pretty much what convinced me to start carrying a gun.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Xombie posted:

Ever since August, the DOE has been saying that repayments will start back up in February very consistently and explicitly.

Psaki just said that Biden has called Secretary Cardono about student loans and that the Department of Education has made "no final decision has been made" on whether to restart payments.

So, that is definitely a change of some kind. But, not a definitive reversal.

Also, Psaki's off the cuff snark about mailing testing kits and the backlash it got may have inadvertently resulted in a good policy.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1473382140976979983

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, Psaki's off the cuff snark about mailing testing kits and the backlash it got may have inadvertently resulted in a good policy.
snip
the very first response is how this is a "plot" to make "the numbers" go "artificially up".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Biden to America: "LOG OFF!!!"

quote:

These companies and personalities are making money by peddling lies and allowing dangerous misinformation that can kill their own customers and their own supporters. It’s wrong, it’s immoral. If you've got friends and family on these sites, then try to talk to them. Try to get them off those sites. If you have accounts, then get rid of them. You're helping to enrich people that through either neglect or malice are killing Americans. Nearly 400,000 Americans died of Covid this calendar year. Nearly all were unvaccinated, nearly all were preventable.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

InsertPotPun posted:

the very first response is how this is a "plot" to make "the numbers" go "artificially up".

Who cares??

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ever since August, the DOE has been saying that repayments will start back up in February very consistently and explicitly.

Psaki just said that Biden has called Secretary Cardono about student loans and that the Department of Education has made "no final decision has been made" on whether to restart payments.

So, that is definitely a change of some kind. But, not a definitive reversal.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1473382140976979983

while it does add a layer of effort, making it on-request is probably smart

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Non-paywalled article re: possible further extension of the student loan payment moratorium: https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2021/12/21/biden-may-extend-student-loan-relief-again---key-details/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Biden wrestling with the lever sticking out of his desk labeled STUDENT LOAN PAYMENTS YES/NO

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while it does add a layer of effort, making it on-request is probably smart

Why?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I mean, if you ship them out to every home you're looking at a ton of waste from people who either never use them or angrily toss them out because COVID ISN'T REAL!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Vasukhani posted:

seems very fake

https://www.reddit.com/user/thanosrain

At this point I think you're more fake than that account.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

I mean, if you ship them out to every home you're looking at a ton of waste from people who either never use them or angrily toss them out because COVID ISN'T REAL!

If you don't ship them out to every home, you're looking at a ton of people who want them not getting them because they don't know how to jump through whatever hoop you're putting up.

This is true for every federal program ever btw. The waste is worth it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

And on the flip side there's gonna be a lot of people who don't know that they can get free tests mailed to them via a website. Some won't hear about it, some will suspect it's too good to be true and that there's a catch, etc etc.

iunno it's hard to care about wasted dollars in a pandemic when used for something like that y'know? If 99 people throw it away but it helps out 1 person, then it's money well spent.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mellow Seas posted:

Bernie wouldn't have done any better, at least not legislatively. You need 50 senators willing to vote for good things, not 50 senators with a "D" next to their name. Like, what would Bernie, who Manchin very unsubtly loving loathes (and vice versa), have done to get him to support his agenda?

This is also assuming Phil Scott doesn't replace him with a Republican and give the chamber back to McConnell anyway (although I don't think he would've done that).

\/\/\/\/\/ Yeah, don't get me wrong, Bernie would've still been better, but in terms of passing big social programs? Wasn't going to happen. (Frankly we're lucky that Bernie isn't President because "leftists cause inflation" would be unfairly tattooed on the forehead of every progressive for generations.)

Bernie would have done a lot better on just about any front that didn't require herding congressional Democrats. Even him just talking the game would have made a hell of a lot people feel like they have someone at least trying to fight for them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pretty big news: The DOJ is letting all federal prisoners released to home confinement due to Covid serve the rest of their terms on house arrest and not have to return to prison.

They are also going to expand the program to allow some federal prisoners to serve out parts of their sentence on house arrest permanently.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1473401057539768330

quote:

The Justice Department ruled Tuesday that the U.S. Bureau of Prisons is not required to reimprison thousands of federal inmates who were granted home confinement to limit the spread of the coronavirus — even after the federal health emergency ends.

The decision — which reverses a January order issued in the final days of the Trump administration — allows the federal agency to avoid recalling nearly 8,000 prisoners en masse. More than 36,000 prisoners have been released on home confinement since March, 2020; some have been reimprisoned for rules violations but many others have completed their sentences.

Those who remain on home confinement can continue to reintegrate into society, living with loved ones, holding down jobs and abiding by specific restrictions that governed their release, officials said.

In a 15-page memo, Christopher H. Shroeder, an assistant attorney general in the Office of Legal Counsel, wrote that the Board of Prisons has long exercised discretion about home confinement on an individual basis and that the federal agency must be allowed to avoid a “blanket, one-size-fits-all policy.”

The agency should not be required to “disrupt the community connections these prisoners have developed in aid of their eventual reentry,” Shroeder wrote.

Prison reform advocates have lobbied the Biden administration to allow prisoners to remain on home confinement after the pandemic emergency is lifted.

A Justice official said Attorney General Merrick Garland ordered his staff to re-examine the issue after he studied the underlying statute and determined it was worthy for review.

Garland met Tuesday with several inmates who have been released to home confinement under the Cares Act provisions to hear their personal experience, the official said.

“Thousands of people on home confinement have reconnected with their families, have found gainful employment, and have followed the rules,” Garland said in a statement. “In light of today’s Office of Legal Counsel opinion, I have directed that the Department engage in a rulemaking process to ensure that the Department lives up to the letter and the spirit of the Cares Act. We will exercise our authority so that those who have made rehabilitative progress and complied with the conditions of home confinement, and who in the interests of justice should be given an opportunity to continue transitioning back to society, are not unnecessarily returned to prison.”

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Srice posted:

And on the flip side there's gonna be a lot of people who don't know that they can get free tests mailed to them via a website. Some won't hear about it, some will suspect it's too good to be true and that there's a catch, etc etc.

iunno it's hard to care about wasted dollars in a pandemic when used for something like that y'know? If 99 people throw it away but it helps out 1 person, then it's money well spent.

I'm not worried about money waste but supply waste. If you have people who need more of them but can't get them because the family that punched the doctor has dumpstered 5 of them it would suck.

Best way would be to set up a site where you could type a name and address and it sends based on that. Would also have to advertise the site exists but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Pretty big news: The DOJ is letting all federal prisoners released to home confinement due to Covid serve the rest of their terms on house arrest and not have to return to prison.

They are also going to expand the program to allow some federal prisoners to serve out parts of their sentence on house arrest permanently.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1473401057539768330

Have to make sure things are cushy for the 1/6 guys getting long terms now!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I think Biden wanted the BBB and the extended CTC. He's got no reason not to want them at this point, it'd make no sense, it's his legacy after all and all that was left was the arm twisting. I just think that the blood he'd be willing to spill for it was negligible. He was given a choice between going to war with the moderates and ordering the CPC to drag their puppy out back and shoot it on a pinky swear that he can bring it back, and went with the latter because it was the easier one. Or because he knew the BBB was hosed and wanted something at all.
The same reasoning applies to Manchin and Sinema. Goldman-Sachs already cut economic forecasts on the news of BBB failing. They don't want to crash the economy. They're up for reelection in '22 and '24, they don't want to struggle against an unpopular party and a failed administration. They don't want Republicans to disenfranchise Democratic voters, yada yada yada. And yet they're doing this anyway.

Last spring when the think tanks were talking about $5T bills and remaking the economy I thought maybe Biden finally got it, understood he needed to really address some problems or be a one-term president. But then he blamed inflation on the child tax credit, which even his own fed chair said is false. Why is he lying and blaming the CTC for economic problems if he really believes it's good policy.

I think neoliberal brain is just completely immune to economic sense or even political survival. Manchin, Biden etc oppose a child tax credit, loan forgiveness, etc on moral principles: people shouldn't get something for nothing, government should be encouraging self-sufficiency not dependency, if you give out government goodies then it's bad juju and karma will punish the country with inflation and unemployment, etc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

I'm not worried about money waste but supply waste. If you have people who need more of them but can't get them because the family that punched the doctor has dumpstered 5 of them it would suck.

Best way would be to set up a site where you could type a name and address and it sends based on that. Would also have to advertise the site exists but that shouldn't be too difficult.

The problem I have with it is, by making it opt-in no matter how good a job they do with getting the word out there, there'll still be people that would make use of a free test but either aren't aware of it or don't want to take the time to fill out information on a website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Wang Commander posted:

Have to make sure things are cushy for the 1/6 guys getting long terms now!

Should've shot 'em, amirite folks?