Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

At worst he'd declare bankruptcy after his accountants shuffled everything around enough for bankruptcy to be a pure formality and carry on like nothing happened.

it's not like it's his money he'd be losing

speaking of which, you reminded me. in the episode where krusty fakes his death, he does so cause he's so bankrupt and in debt that he has to sell all his possessions. but by the end of the episode, he's able to pay it all of because of the insurance money he got faking his 'new' death? is there a lot of money they pay out for life insurance? like, in the multi-millions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PostNouveau posted:

Him and Comic Book Guy. Usually these episodes are the "X gets a girlfriend" type.

The writers are for some reason obsessed with the love life of the huge losers of Springfield. I wonder why that could be ...

While on top of that being a bad habit writers are addicted to, I think it's another one where they're the 'available' bachelors of the cast. Came up with how Futurama's big difference from the Simpsons was most of the characters being single young people that you can do love interest plots with and not have adultery or parental responsibility involved, the kind of characters that the Simpsons doesn't really have as regulars. See also Selma, I guess.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The episode where Herb is revealed to be broke and homeless after his car company imploded is unrealistic because we know that he would have been the CEO of another major corporation after a few weeks.

Or Herb would have got a few billion dollars bailout from the government to save the company while admonishing Americans for wanting a semblance of a social safety net.

Though it gets funnier watching the original Herb episode and realising that the Homer was just the straw that broke the camel's back for a company that was already clearly dysfunctional and refused to make products people actually wanted, in exactly the same way as late 20th century American car companies basically all were.

Mr Interweb posted:

speaking of which, you reminded me. in the episode where krusty fakes his death, he does so cause he's so bankrupt and in debt that he has to sell all his possessions. but by the end of the episode, he's able to pay it all of because of the insurance money he got faking his 'new' death? is there a lot of money they pay out for life insurance? like, in the multi-millions?

Not like most people know how life insurance works, which I imagine is meant to be part of the gag, especially since it's a throwaway one at the end of an episode.

That said, given Krusty's career is shown to fluctuate comically wildly, it's quite possible once he had enough to get back on his feet and back into show business within a week he's got more money than he knows what to do with again.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm a Brit and I might be laughing at a silly stereotype, but I always find the Powell Motors exec's insistence that Americans "don't want big cars" funny.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just watched the first two episodes of Ingress on Netflix. Lots of pseudo-mystical concepts get thrown at you constantly, but it seems alright so far. More on the serious side, not overly anime-y, reminds me a bit of Death Note.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh my god they made a show out of that?

I thought Ingress was just the astroturfed/disguised live pilot for Pokemon Go

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I had a suspicion it was a video game tie-in when they started talking about the control points

Doing a decent job with the material, I've definitely seen worse

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jacobin/status/1473048466184196098

I completely missed the short this article starts with, and based on the description, I ain't gonna remedy that.

quote:

On November 12, subscribers to Disney+ were treated to a five-minute short film billed as The Simpsons in Plusaversary as part of a “special event” designed to mark the streaming service’s two-year anniversary. If you’re a fan of the golden era of The Simpsons that roughly spanned its run during the mid-’90s, it’s positively nauseating to watch — the premise being a party at Moe’s Tavern where all of your favorite Disney characters-qua-properties have been invited.

After waiting in line, Homer, who has somehow been left off a guest list that includes Ant-Man, Thanos, and Jabba the Hutt, is admitted as Goofy’s plus one. The short subsequently offers up a string of crossover bits that must be seen to be believed: Darth Vader drinks a beer at the bar; Buzz Lightyear arm wrestles the Mandalorian; Barney performs the Heimlich maneuver on Donald Duck; Bart arrives as a hybrid version of himself and Mickey Mouse.

Plusaversary’s centerpiece, however, is a faux tongue-in-cheek advertainment ode to the streaming platform itself — sung by none other than Lisa Simpson — which, among other things, seems to invite viewers to invest in Disney stock:

code:
Streaming’s a dream for Disney,

All content in one place.

It’s beamed all over the planet

And into outer space.

If your kids are driving you crazy,

Entrust them to the TV.

You’ll never find a sitter

For our low monthly fee.

Disney+ for kids that are older.

But best of all, for Disney stockholders.

So, let’s all celebrate Disney+

As it reaches year number two.

As long as we have your credit card number,

It will automatically renew.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
:barf:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

it wasn't monopoly capitalism that killed the simpsons wtf

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

It's Jacobin. Capitalism is the root cause of every ill in Jacobin, even the Simpsons being bad for 20 years.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
T'was meauty that killed the meast.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Das Boo posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AHH F/UGH posted:

it did

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lmao not just the Simpsons, but Art itself has officially reached its nadir.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

lmao not just the Simpsons, but Art itself has officially reached its nadir.

it has

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The Simpsons are dead. The Simpsons remain dead. And we have killed them. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become the Simpsons simply to appear worthy of it?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Homer Simpson has become unstuck in time.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Das Boo posted:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Das Boo posted:

audibly snorted at this

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Even as a kid I thought the Armin Tamzarian stuff was weird and bad. I don't think I saw it as a betrayal of the careful character development and plotting and stuff the show had done over the years like so many did, but rather just that like it was a very lame twist played straight in a way that felt beneath the Simpsons.

I agree, they basically chose a character whose entire development throughout the show had been based entirely and exclusively on his past, and outside a world of excellent lines, the interesting parts of his character were exclusively relegated to the past that shaped him into the character we know as Skinner. Without it, he would be incredibly bland, a 2-D straight man and nothing but Bart's foil. Retconning him into being a grown-up version of Bart only to have him accept a life of obsequious subordination to an old woman he had never previously met just doesn't make any sense.

And his NAME, I think it was the first time I truly felt like they phoned it in, like some wannabe writer pulled "Tamzarian" out of the air and everyone lied to themselves that it didn't sound like a poo poo, made-up name pulled from a low-grade sci-fi.
Only matched by the sheer, cringing laziness of "Jeff Albertson".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's actually a pitch perfect parody of Mad Men made 20 years ahead of time. What if Dick Whitman faked his death and adopted a loser persona instead?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

One plus of Unky Herb was having two solid episodes then a smattering of mentions and that’s it, as DeVito doesn’t like doing the character, so he hasn’t been run into the ground like Sideshow Bob or Mona. Very few other characters escaped that fate aside from Phil Hartman’s, RIP.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I agree, they basically chose a character whose entire development throughout the show had been based entirely and exclusively on his past, and outside a world of excellent lines, the interesting parts of his character were exclusively relegated to the past that shaped him into the character we know as Skinner. Without it, he would be incredibly bland, a 2-D straight man and nothing but Bart's foil. Retconning him into being a grown-up version of Bart only to have him accept a life of obsequious subordination to an old woman he had never previously met just doesn't make any sense.

And his NAME, I think it was the first time I truly felt like they phoned it in, like some wannabe writer pulled "Tamzarian" out of the air and everyone lied to themselves that it didn't sound like a poo poo, made-up name pulled from a low-grade sci-fi.

Yeah, it was a bad idea to introduce a shocking twist to a long-established character like that. Kinda like when they revealed that Ned Flanders is actually 60 years old.

I actually liked Comic Book Guy having a completely ordinary name, though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

what the gently caress lol

quote:

Comic Book Guy also has a gay cousin named Comic Book Gay. Comic Book Gay is interested in "certain types of comics" and sounds just like Comic Book Guy.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, it was a bad idea to introduce a shocking twist to a long-established character like that. Kinda like when they revealed that Ned Flanders is actually 60 years old.

I actually liked Comic Book Guy having a completely ordinary name, though.

Both the Armin and Ned plot twists would have been better received if they didn’t feel like one off writers room pitches. Give hints early in the season like Skinner hiding mail or Ned having older friends, then the twists would feel like they paid off. DS9 was great but they botched a few plot twists with Dr. Bashir in a similar way decided the character was genetically enhanced which the actor didn’t like and wouldn’t sell, or when he was replaced with a changing not bothering to have him act differently in the preceding episodes.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

The way Bart reacted I thought armin tamzarian was some double entrendre that I just didn't get and not just a silly name for the longest time

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I never got the big deal. It was a funny episode, and everything went back to normal at the end.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

episode 1 was bart gets an F

ok

nothing in my post suggests otherwise though

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Has anyone done a background check on this guy?

https://www.swlaw.edu/faculty/adjunct/armen-tamzarian

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

UP AND ADAM posted:

I never got the big deal. It was a funny episode, and everything went back to normal at the end.

Not to mention it wasn't the first time they changed Skinner's backstory. The smash cut solution to the problem with the real Skinner being tied to a train car and sent away is hilarious. The episode just broke nerds brains at the time way more than it should have.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Simpsons had been bad for a long, long while, but at least in the earlier years of its decline (I can't speak at all for many of the later season) I feel like it could still throw a decent lob at Fox every now and then. So it's simultaneously fascinating and annoying to see them reach a new level of awful in the Disney era where they've been turned into little more than sterile cheerleaders for their new parent company in these dumb bullshit and bite-less shorts in which they do little more than celebrate other IPs.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I saw the episode where Krusty became a Christian to try to connect with his daughter. It was alright, Wayne Gretzky was in it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Disney should not be able to own so many properties.

I mean, all they do is churn out identical color-swapped superhero MCU movies and identical “humanoid, but with an arm on their forehead” Star Wars shitfests at this point, but give it a few years and Disney will be the literal monopoly on worldwide entertainment.

So get used to Kermit the Frog appearing in Star Wars movie #4326 and Donald Duck appearing in Marvel’s “The Superheroes! But They’re Actually Normal People With Expensive Gadgetry To Help Them Fight Incredibly Stronger Foes With Literal Omnipotence That Can Easily Destroy Them.”

Or else.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

But The Simpsons was loooooooong loving dead and buried before the Disney buyout. That loving article :lmao:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

You Are A Elf posted:

But The Simpsons was loooooooong loving dead and buried before the Disney buyout. That loving article :lmao:

The article repeatedly states this.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Rascar Capac posted:

The article repeatedly states this.

Yeah, I thought that it made that pretty clear in several places:

quote:

Long before it was purchased by the Walt Disney Company in 2019, many Simpsons fans readily acknowledged that the show was, for all intents and purposes, dead, if still technically on-air in a kind of zombified form. When finally acquired by Disney, it had already surpassed thirty seasons — the majority of them coming after its comparatively brief classic era and bearing only superficial resemblance to the glorious show that once had been. In what probably stands as the definitive statement on the series’ precipitous decline, YouTuber Super Eyepatch Wolf’s viral 2017 video The Fall of The Simpsons: How It Happened deftly captured both what had made the show so great and why it had so abruptly gone off the rails.

quote:

Beginning in season eight (1996–97) and accelerating in subsequent years, the series would not so gradually shed its best qualities, tampering with the foundations of its own universe, deploying increasingly absurdist plots, and becoming self-referential to the point that characters that had once functioned as broad cultural archetypes were mostly exaggerated self-parodies. The phrase “Zombie Simpsons,” popularized by a short book on the show’s decline, thus aptly describes what it has ultimately become: a free-floating commercial property that exists solely to wring continued profits from a undead object for whatever corporate entity possesses the necessary pieces of paper.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 22, 2021

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

Season 8 and 9 is where the show shifts away from treating the characters as people the audience are expected to care about in favour of props to hang jokes off and that episode is the most egregious example.
You can do that and still have a good show so long as the jokes are funny, and I like s8 and most of 9 because of it

It was the inevitable direction for the show to go I think. The only other choices were end the show or shake up the status quo. After 9 years there's little left you can do with characters who can't age or grow.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

since i watched the frank grimes episode, i felt it's only right i watch the armin tamzarian one as well

i don't have much to say aside from still thinking it's the best worst episode of the simpsons. but i did have one question. there's an exchange in the episode that goes like this:

*during fake skinner's flashback coming to give the news about real skinner's death*

fake skinner: a part of me always wondered if deep down, she knew i wasn't her son
agnes: you can have lima beans soon as you clean your room. *quietly* Upstairs. third door on the left

this exchange seems both familiar and yet somehow unfamiliar at the same time. did they show this during syndication?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Not to mention it wasn't the first time they changed Skinner's backstory.

when was the other time(s)?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

AHH F/UGH posted:

i killed the simpsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think it's more that Skinner was a fairly well developed character that a lot of people had grown fond of through the years, so anything to undermine him as much as that episode was always going to be divisive as heck to anyone with sentimental feelings about him.

Honestly I believe people at the time were basically rooting for him to slowly build more of a backbone to see stand up to his mom and complete this shipping with Krabappel.