Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Clark Nova posted:

she should lean in to it - put a ouija board on the memorial table. make the flower girl a creepy doll on top of a remote control car

Get a metal planchette & have a magnet under the table to move it around the board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Dig up the grave and open the casket so she can climb in too.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

a memorial table at a wedding is some psycho poo poo

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

a memorial table at a wedding is some psycho poo poo

It's not unheard of at weddings I've been to to have a small table with a few photos/trinkets of people who have died who would have been at the wedding had they lived, but yeah she's not talking about that, she's talking about a loving shrine.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It would probably be less of an issue if there were others to memorialize, other photos to include, but it seems the mother's obsession with Brooke extends this ritual only to her. Grandma? She can gently caress right off.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AceClown posted:

It's not unheard of at weddings I've been to to have a small table with a few photos/trinkets of people who have died who would have been at the wedding had they lived, but yeah she's not talking about that, she's talking about a loving shrine.

yeah I think saving a seat at a graduation for a photo of your long-deceased child is a much bigger psycho move than asking for a memorial table at a wedding, which seems like it's pretty routine

(granted it's a wedding thing so being routine doesn't mean that it's not psycho, but I think the normal practice of an unobtrusive photo or two is pretty harmless)

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
The thing that struck me most was she always brought up Brooke at her other kids birthdays. Not just on Brooke's b-day, on their birthdays.

"ok let's watch a slideshow about a dead child you don't remember" Also this photo of a deceased child gets a spot at the table. Who don't you slice a piece of birthday cake for Brooke too. *chokes up* I just miss her so drat much
(the birthday girls little friends look on aghast as a woman wallows in grief at what should be a happy day)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

the holy poopacy posted:

yeah I think saving a seat at a graduation for a photo of your long-deceased child is a much bigger psycho move than asking for a memorial table at a wedding, which seems like it's pretty routine

(granted it's a wedding thing so being routine doesn't mean that it's not psycho, but I think the normal practice of an unobtrusive photo or two is pretty harmless)

I think the issue is that the daughter's entire life has basically been a Memorial Shrine to Brooke, she wants one day to herself and her mom isn't playing ball. Every single interaction with her children is colored by Brooke and the fact that the mother hates that they don't remember her, so she tries to educate them about her so they can mourn properly. I'm not sure who this lady's therapist is but inflicting your trauma on others so you aren't alone in your misery is like, actually psychopathic.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It sounds like it was a good idea to send her kids to live with their father because she couldn't care for them. She couldn't! And repressing her grief was loving her up and I doubt she was actually even hiding it as well as she tried to! Parents are people too and sometimes intense grief can render a person unable to provide support for others for a time. Everything after that point sounds like a lot of compounding bad decisions that are now enshrined in her mind as Tradition, and I wonder what the gently caress sort of grief counselor she has that she hasn't been guided away from this self-destructive rut.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AceClown posted:

i've never heard of this before :psyduck:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

the holy poopacy posted:

This kind of thing has been routine for 26 years, that's the problem

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

I think the issue is that the daughter's entire life has basically been a Memorial Shrine to Brooke, she wants one day to herself and her mom isn't playing ball. Every single interaction with her children is colored by Brooke and the fact that the mother hates that they don't remember her, so she tries to educate them about her so they can mourn properly. I'm not sure who this lady's therapist is but inflicting your trauma on others so you aren't alone in your misery is like, actually psychopathic.

well yeah, :agreed:

not saying that the mom isn't psycho, just that under normal circumstances this would be a pretty common and harmless ask. by shoehorning her dead daughter into every life event for her living children she basically managed to cost herself the one time that it's socially acceptable and commonplace to set aside space during a celebration to commemorate lost family members

Brawnfire posted:

It just finally clicked for me that this places Brooke's death in the mid-90s.

I was ten. The Simpsons had just five or six seasons. No 9/11 yet, in fact the 1993 WTC bombing was recent memory. Three years before "Hit Me Baby One More Time" is released.

Batman Forever. Billy Madison.

she's been dead longer than jonbenet ramsey.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 21, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was ten. The Simpsons had just five or six seasons. No 9/11 yet, in fact the 1993 WTC bombing was recent memory. Three years before "Hit Me Baby One More Time" is released.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, Brooke was the lucky one

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Agreed, I'd do anything to be able to go back and enjoy listening to Moxy Früvous

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

the holy poopacy posted:

well yeah, :agreed:

not saying that the mom isn't psycho, just that under normal circumstances this would be a pretty common and harmless ask. by shoehorning her dead daughter into every life event for her living children she basically managed to cost herself the one time that it's socially acceptable and commonplace to set aside space during a celebration to commemorate lost family members
Yeah like I think it'd be a very different story if she was making Brooke's birthday and death anniversary Days To Remember Brooke for herself (and her other children if they wanted). That's a reasonable ask after such a big loss, and it's an appropriate time to memorialize Brooke. Nobody is asking her to forget about her dead child or to just magically get over it, but her lack of boundaries over it is something else entirely.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My mom (43F) is angry at me(17F) for not picking a university she likes

quote:

I live in Canada, and I have applied to several universities in the States. I plan on going into business. Although I admit that many schools in the States provide better education and better platform, oftentimes I think the cost isn't justifiable. As an international student, going to one of the top schools (because it's not worth it to move to the States unless it's a great school) will cost easily more than half a million dollars. I will carry the burden of student loan in a country I don't know of, with no one I know and barely an adult. The tuition will be more than 4x the cost of a top school in Canada.

I am naturally a people pleaser, especially given that my mom is quite angry, I just go along what she says as long as it makes her happy. My family planned on having me apply to these top schools since I was in elementary school, but more recently I feel more and more strongly about not going to the States. There are schools that are sufficient for me to establish a good career in Canada. In fact, I am confident that I will get accepted into arguably the best business school in Canada (call it University A), which truthfully is my top choice rather than the States universities. Another university I applied to in Canada (University B), is overall more popular with a higher ranking and reputation, but comparatively worse business program and employment.

For the universities in the States, there's something called Early Decision where you can apply to 1 university for ED, and if you're accepted, then you have to go. The more I wrote my application for it, the more uneasy I felt with that decision. The night before the deadline I just couldn't do it to myself and I cried to my parents about how I bottled these feelings up and I don't want to go to states, at least not right now. They got quite upset, and I submitted my application. Thankfully, I was rejected.

Now my mother is really upset with me because I told her University A (the one with the best business school in Canada) is my top choice and she says that I should consider her feelings into my decision because she put in effort for my education. She says that if I don't get into the States I should go to University B for its higher reputation and clout. She is not talking to me and giving me the silent treatment, because she thinks I'm lazy for wanting University A rather than a more prestigious school.

Sorry for the rambling, I just feel so upset that she would give me the silent treatment for picking a university of my choice. EVEN THOUGH IT'S STILL SUCH A GOOD SCHOOL IN CANADA!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

It's not unheard of if there is a close friend who died recently who would definitely have been there, or you want to have a nod to the father who didn't get a chance to walk you down the aisle like you both wanted to. But not for someone who has been dead for over 20 years whom you never knew.

I'm sympathetic with mum in that it isn't her fault she clearly had some kind of breakdown and needed space to function. But it is so very very sad that her grief has never moved on to acceptance.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 21, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alchenar posted:

It's not unheard of if there is a close friend who died recently who would definitely have been there, or you want to have a nod to the father who didn't get a chance to walk you down the isle like you both wanted to. But not for someone who has been dead for over 20 years whom you never knew.

I'm sympathetic with mum in that it isn't her fault she clearly had some kind of breakdown and needed space to function. But it is so very very sad that her grief has never moved on to acceptance.

Yeah, my cousin and her husband had a little table with some pictures of both their dads at their wedding because both had died and they'd had good relationships with them. It wasn't like a huge thing, just a little acknowledgement.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can put out whatever you want at your own wedding, you have much less control over your children's wedding unless you want to a) pay for it and b) leverage that into destroying your relationship

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
If your an international student how do student loans work? Would it be an American company giving her the loan? What happens if she doesn't pay it back and stays in Canada her whole life after college, does it affect Canadian credit? Or does a Canadian company give you the loan?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have no idea about the loan mechanics, but I had to lol a bit at "I want to go into business" at the same time as "I'm a people pleaser" (seemingly meaning "I'm usually a pushover").

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If your an international student how do student loans work? Would it be an American company giving her the loan? What happens if she doesn't pay it back and stays in Canada her whole life after college, does it affect Canadian credit? Or does a Canadian company give you the loan?

a student loan is basically a regular line of credit, and you generally need a social security number to apply for one. foreign nationals can fairly easily get a loan for a home, since the bank can always foreclose on the property in the case of default, but with a student loan there is no collateral if someone takes out six-figures of debt to get a degree at an american university and goes back to their home country, never to return. it can be done, but a us citizen cosigner is required in 99.99% of cases

it's not a coincidence that most foreign students at us universities are from fairly well off families who can pay in cash

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 21, 2021

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

PetraCore posted:

It sounds like it was a good idea to send her kids to live with their father because she couldn't care for them. She couldn't! And repressing her grief was loving her up and I doubt she was actually even hiding it as well as she tried to! Parents are people too and sometimes intense grief can render a person unable to provide support for others for a time. Everything after that point sounds like a lot of compounding bad decisions that are now enshrined in her mind as Tradition, and I wonder what the gently caress sort of grief counselor she has that she hasn't been guided away from this self-destructive rut.

Checking out of your surviving kids from ages 4-11 and 13-18 is a hell of a thing to do to them.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Miserable Maid posted:

Haha, all the commenters on Reddit are yelling at OP for that reason. That since the girl NEVER ACTUALLY SAID ANYTHING, the only reasonable conclusion the brother could take is she was either a pickpocket, or just mentally unwell

The OP keeps insisting robotically each time to those comments that he "did not give her enough time to explain" lol.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

She can’t get real student loans (federal loans). Any loan she would get is a private loan from a bank like a car loan except secured against her parents credit

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

The_Franz posted:

a student loan is basically a regular line of credit, and you generally need a social security number to apply for one. foreign nationals can fairly easily get a loan for a home, since the bank can always foreclose on the property in the case of default, but with a student loan there is no collateral if someone takes out six-figures of debt to get a degree at an american university and goes back to their home country, never to return. it can be done, but a us citizen cosigner is required in 99.99% of cases

it's not a coincidence that most foreign students at us universities are from fairly well off families who can pay in cash

Student loans from the government are not like lines of credit in any shape or form. She can’t get federally backed student loans because she’s not a US national.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Johnny Truant posted:

Like, imagine the Bride's dad died 3 weeks before the wedding. Someone who was absolutely supposed to be there but passed instead. Memorial table is a compromise between "Dad died and you didn't even care" and cancelling the big day which is obviously really bad and likely to make the pain even worse. Have a toast to Bill, who wanted his daughter to be happy.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I guess I assumed student loans were super easy to acquire. I didn't think you needed any credit to get them I assumed because they're safer because they can take it from you easier than a private agency could.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thundercloud posted:

Checking out of your surviving kids from ages 4-11 and 13-18 is a hell of a thing to do to them.

At that point, I don't know why she took them back for 12 and why she's interacting with them at all now.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's interesting that she didn't mention what the father thinks either way. I assume he's pretty close to them too as he had them for basically all but one year of their life full time.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I guess I assumed student loans were super easy to acquire. I didn't think you needed any credit to get them I assumed because they're safer because they can take it from you easier than a private agency could.

Its super easy for US citizens to get loans from the federal government. But she’s not eligible for those so instead it’s just a regular bank loan with bad terms.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Midnight Voyager posted:

At that point, I don't know why she took them back for 12 and why she's interacting with them at all now.

I don't know why they are interacting with her

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

Another classic

AITA for not paying to change my father's gravely insulting gravestone?

I pass by a cemetery maybe few times a month and always see graves with fresh flowers and decorations, and sometimes people in camping chairs hanging out with Meemaw or whomever. This person owns bones for giving strangers something to chuckle about while visiting relatives. Good for them.

Also yeah we had a small memorial table at a cousin's wedding, but it was against the wall, out of the way. It has some framed pictures, and well wishes to the wedding couple. That side of the family is Latine if that puts thing into context? Big family, big on memorials.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
If I ever get married I will have a sculpture of my dead mother's head glued to the shoulder of my wedding dress like a macabre Zaphod Beeblebrox and I don't care what anyone thinks

I don't like listening to Delilah, but it's playing on the radio station where I'm eating dinner and tonight's Delilah's Dilemma is a grandmother whose son is planning to move out of their shared house because she won't stop fighting with him about his always keeping his infant children upstairs. Delilah is unhelpful.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My (26F) husband (26M) told me that he thinks being married to someone in his field would be a better fit and won't compromise with me on going to counseling.

quote:

My husband and I have been together for 6 years, married for four months. I thought everything was perfect. We had some communication issues in the past but we worked through them and I really thought everything was going well. We’re both Post-docs in different fields of STEM, and I always thought having different interests enriched our marriage but, well…

The other day we were in the kitchen cooking dinner and he was telling me about this project one of his colleagues was working on. I kept having to ask him questions because even if I don’t know much about his field, I am interested in what my husband does and try to be engaging in our conversations. He then randomly blurts out, “You know sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I was married to another [title of scientists in his field]. I feel like it would be such a productive marriage.” I was super appalled by that statement because I feel like he low key told me I was stupid for not understanding him and also holding him back. I said “oh, you mean like one of your coworkers?” He replied, “Yeah, I feel like they would understand me more we could collaborate on projects. It would be so cool and overall a much better fit.”

I called him out on this immediately. I said, “you know that is an incredibly insensitive thing to say to your new wife. You basically told me that you’re questioning how well we work together.” He didn’t quite realize what he had said and tried to backtrack saying “that’s not what I meant. You’re taking it the wrong way. I just wish you knew more about my field of research.” I asked him why he is saying this now, and if he felt this way while in grad school too. He said no, because he was mostly working with men in the past and he never thought of what it would be like to work with his partner.

At that point, I left the kitchen to go snuggle my bunny because I was so freaking upset and sad that my husband just told me he wanted me to be a different person and would prefer it if I was more like his female colleauges. I told him that I was hurt and he needed to give me space but he followed after me and we started fighting. I told him he shouldn’t have said it. It’s okay to be interested in other people and have these “what if” thoughts, but you wouldn’t have said it if it wasn;t something you were seriously bothered by. I know I am not interested in his subject, but I try to understand what he is saying because I love him and want to know what he is doing, but if it were not for him I would have zero motivation to learn about what he does. I told him that he is not remotely engaged in my subject and I understand why. It’s not his passion, but I’m fine with that. I love how excited his work makes him and he had told me he felt the same way. I feel like he is questioning our marriage and he isn’t truly happy with me. He told me he loves me and he didn’t mean it that way, but I told him you can’t back track and the damage is done. It’s nice to know you are having these regrets. Thanks for being honest with me, but I am very hurt and I need a little time to feel comfortable.

He has basically been silent about it since then and I just can’t look at him the same way. Whenever I see him texting his colleaugues, my stomach churns. I don’t want him to touch me, I don’t want to look at him. I’m usually the one with the high libido but I had to turn him down the last few times he has initiated sex because now I feel so used. I told him that I think we should go to marriage counseling because I can’t get over feeling inadequate now. Maybe I am taking it far, but this is what I need to feel “safe” in our marriage again. He said he would prefer to try and work on it ourselves and I said this is not an option. I have been in relationships where I felt unappreciated before and I am not willing to do it again. He has never been great with expressing his feelings but he doesn’t have anything else to say beside “I’m sorry, but you took it the wrong way.”

I can’t let it go! I just can’t stop feeling like my husband wished I was someone else and the fact that he doesn’t want to go to counseling so we can work through OUR problems is so devastating for me. He kept telling me I was blowing things out of proportion and I snapped and told him that if he doesn’t want to have our marriage annulled, he will do this with me because my image of our relationship is shattered. Am I over reacting?

TL;DR

Husband told me that he thinks about what it would have been like to marry someone in his field and that it would ultimately have been a better fit for him. I am so hurt by those words and requested marriage counseling but he refuses to go. This is my hill to dies on. Am I being unreasonable?

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
$10 says husband is an engineer

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cythereal posted:

My (26F) husband (26M) told me that he thinks being married to someone in his field would be a better fit and won't compromise with me on going to counseling.

Dude's got a work wife he wants to bone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Lady, the marriage counselor is gonna take you aside and say "take the divorce" so I dunno why you want to pay so much for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thundercloud posted:

she spent more years of her life abandoning the living children than parenting the dead one