Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

John Murdoch posted:

Minimap? Are you sure you're not thinking of Call of Duty?

compass is a really small minimap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

steinrokkan posted:

compass is a really small minimap

Compass? Are you sure you're not thinking of Medal of Honor?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rockman Reserve posted:

no way, dx2 had a ton of missions for mutually exclusive factions and stuff

i think a lot of people miss that though because the game starts with one of the main factions raiding your home and trying to kill you, so, uh, not ideal

also the Omar are the best

yeah i played dx2 last month and despite the story itself being kinda bleh compared to 1 it seems to have a lot more variation in who you can side with at any given moment and the amount of important NPCs you can kill and tell their factions to gently caress off (until the next area where they will forgive you if you just do this quest for them)

like the first game none of it really matters and you choose one of 3 endings in the final level though

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

kntfkr posted:

Pac Man 2 is a great adventure game for the Sega Genesis. You get to shoot Pac Man with a sling shot.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

site posted:

yeah i played dx2 last month and despite the story itself being kinda bleh compared to 1 it seems to have a lot more variation in who you can side with at any given moment and the amount of important NPCs you can kill and tell their factions to gently caress off (until the next area where they will forgive you if you just do this quest for them)

like the first game none of it really matters and you choose one of 3 endings in the final level though

yeah but also like the first one the three different endings had you completing different objectives in different parts of the final map, not just walking down a hallway and pressing a button like HR

and it’s actually four endings, unatco dance party is canon

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

sorry dude it's just an action adventure game because everybody plays as the same link the twink no matter what.

he said it's a role-playing game not a role-choosing game

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Rutibex posted:

he said it's a role-playing game not a role-choosing game

yeah but if you go by that logic literally everything is a role-playing game and genres become even more useless than they already are.

is rocket league an RPG because I'm playing the role of a rocket powered car?

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Regardless of whatever are the true criteria of an RPG, I think we can all agree that JRPGs are the best of all, like Super Mario Brothers,

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rockman Reserve posted:

and it’s actually four endings, unatco dance party is canon

dang you're right

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rockman Reserve posted:

pretty sure when I dipped into the games thread for it they were complaining about a goofy motorcycle duel/boss fight, further cementing the idea that the games subforum functions best as a containment zone for absolute freakin weirdos

I loving loved that segment and hope there are more! lol. I love when games all the sudden do something totally different from the standard gameplay in the game. I feel like that used to be more common in games, interludes with unique gameplay

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I like the part of ff7r where Bayonetta steps in during the motorcycle fight

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Here's an unpopular opinion if you go by cranky goons who hate everything:

I unequivocally love the open world formula. Not every single open world game, but just in general it's a type of game I love. The freedom they grant you and the amount of content that games like this include just really do it for me.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rutibex posted:

Video game genres are dumb ways to makes you sound like a sophisticated taxonomist. these are the real genres:

-Doom
-mario
-final fantasy (Dragon warrior in japan)
-mario 64
-Dune 2
-grand theft auto 3
- civilization
-street fighter
-double dragon
-sports

I know this is like a hundred posts old but it’s actually quite accurate and better than the generally accepted genre names. It’s missing around five or so types but the fundamentals are sound.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Play posted:

I unequivocally love the open world formula. Not every single open world game, but just in general it's a type of game I love. The freedom they grant you and the amount of content that games like this include just really do it for me.

I mostly agree. I think not every game should be open world or maybe I just didn't connect with them. Open world as a concept I really like. Even Ubisoft open worlds.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

hey MPP if you happen to read this could you post that screenshot of Disco Elysium that always fills me with rage?

TIA ILU :glomp:

nevermind bro I found it. Had it saved, appropriately, as "Disco Elysium sucks.png"

here it is in case anyone has been lucky enough to avoid it so far

This heaping pile of wordshit is praised as good writing lol

Love to use ellipses and put asterisks around words for emphasis just like other great works of fiction such as

:thunk:

and

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Its no Harry Potter thats for sure

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

lol, that's a no context quote from the ending. which is kind of fitting since the way the game displays text was copied from twitter (according to the lead dev) and nothing lends itself better to no context quoting than twitter.

anyway, don't be scared of the asterisks op. Disco Elysium is really good if you start from the beginning.

e: also, I have no clue about literature, but isn't using weird sentence structure like that a common feature of postmodern fiction?

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 22, 2021

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if you were smart you would use italics instead

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

this poo poo happens all the time. especially when a game series outstays it's welcome and suddenly everyone pretends it was poo poo all along.

like far cry 3 blew people away at the time and it was awesome, but then they beat the formula to death and now people act like it wasn't rad as hell.

call of duty suffers from this too. all the real gamers pretend they were too cool for it all along and it's a series for casuals as if they weren't doing 10 hour COD4 sessions back in the day like the rest of us.

Lol nah cod was never good

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nevermind bro I found it. Had it saved, appropriately, as "Disco Elysium sucks.png"

Love to use ellipses and put asterisks around words for emphasis just like other great works of fiction such as

and

i like how what bugs you is formatting and it makes me wonder if you think there is some kind of standard for punctuation in praised works of fiction

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

Lol nah cod was never good

The very first one was cool for the soviet campaign and by virtue of not being a Medal of Honor game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Call of Duty's huge volume of endlessly respawning enemies until you pushed forward was super neat and helped deliver the war game concept other titles couldn't.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

and

Disco is written like an interminably long twitter screed, and is defended by the kind of people who sit on twitter all day doomscrolling.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The very first one was cool for the soviet campaign and by virtue of not being a Medal of Honor game.

You're just biased because you're a fish

Barudak posted:

Call of Duty's huge volume of endlessly respawning enemies until you pushed forward was super neat and helped deliver the war game concept other titles couldn't.

:barf:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Disco Elysium is a game where you get a game over because you missed a 90% dice roll causing a small child to swear at you and now your character is having a mental breakdown. Alternatively sometimes you just game over for no reason, such as after examining a gear box in a car, or making a phone call to the wrong person. No dice roll required. The game also only autosaves every half hour or so so I hope you like quick saving after everything you do.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Isn't the Soviet campaign literally just Enemy at the Gates?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Beartaco posted:

Isn't the Soviet campaign literally just Enemy at the Gates?

Maybe, but the game had the balls to make you the poor sod handed bullets instead of a gun and having to scavenge one from the dead

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

and

That’s awful. That it’s from the ending is equally awful. Fallout 3 levels of awful.

“Ah, I see you made CHOICE 7! You must be PHILOSOPHY 11 SUB b. Why, I remember when you resolved PLOT POINT with CHOICE 10”

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Arcanum, Vampire Bloodlines, and The Witcher are perfect examples of Computer styled/WRPGs.
The game presents a lot of compelling and interesting choices to role-play. A fascist cop hard into race science literature, a diehard ACAB Marxist, a "I'm just doing my job!" centrist, etc. It seems exciting, except that no matter which choice I picked, it seldom if ever changed how the world reacted around me. To the point that you can select every option available to you (say something fascist, say something anti-authoritarian, etc.) and nothing changes outside a few tidbits at the end. Compare that to any of the games listed under computer styled RPGs above where depending on what dialogue you used on almost any given segment it will change how the specific situation ends.

The Pirate Captain posted:

That’s awful. That it’s from the ending is equally awful. Fallout 3 levels of awful.

“Ah, I see you made CHOICE 7! You must be PHILOSOPHY 11 SUB b. Why, I remember when you resolved PLOT POINT with CHOICE 10”

In conclusion, slideshow plot resolution sequences are a land of contrasts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

And so the courier had all the cool hats in the world. He'd killed all the other cool hat -havers.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Play posted:

I liked open world games too but i felt like id seen everything the genre offered after gta3

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've only ever bought one game for my Sony Play Station 4 home computer system, and it was the GOATSE release of Fallout 4, and I'm still playing it. So I guess I like open world game. (I also have MGS V TPP but I didn't buy it, it came with the system.)

FE: I did "buy" Slapping Dongs for like 1,39€ "digitally" (as if games on disc were analog) but I still haven't played it.

Actual E: I have played making GBS threads Cocks but not on the PS4.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Play posted:

Ooh, the freedom to do the same exact loving thing a billion loving times in a row. Hold up, be right back, gotta change my pants, totally creamed these.

e: Sorry, this was overly hostile. Been drinking for hours and regretting, well, drat near the whole past twenty years, but the music shuffle just hit a string of songs from the harder they come and made me realize shits kinda ok.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 22, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chglcu posted:

Ooh, the freedom to do the same exact loving thing a billion loving times in a row.

But Dark Souls isn't open-world :confused:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

But Dark Souls isn't open-world :confused:

Dark souls is a metroidvania.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chglcu posted:

Dark souls is a metroidvania.

Oh you mean Antiriad-clone.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
people always complain that Games posters are weird whiners, but actually its this thread which is the most full of rancid negativity about games the resident weirdos may or may not have played

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

people always complain that Games posters are weird whiners, but actually its this thread which is the most full of rancid negativity about games the resident weirdos may or may not have played

And did you know the thread literally called "let's make fun and ridicule and poo poo on audiophiles" has a lot of people saying really quite mean things about hifi gear?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

maybe your looking for the "boring videogame opinions" thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This thread, the "unpopular" videogame opinions is the one safe space for rancid negativity about games. The place where we can truly be safe to talk about how garbage all of those lovely games are, maybe argue with each other even. A safe haven amidst the chaos of people going "yay I preordered another garbo AAA game" where all we have is our angst. Complain not about your fellow posters, but about the lovely games they play.