Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Oh gently caress the code police got'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Get new, UL-listed, cloth-wrapped cords if you want to keep the look without having a horrible death trap.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's too late guys, the electricity got them as they were typing!

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
"My 100 year old keyboard uses the space bar as the return path for electricity, so what?"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Two questions!

1) How do you ID a screw?

2) Why would a toilet scream after being flushed?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Are we talking about original aluminum wiring? If you're looking for something specifically against code, there you go. Aluminum wiring is against code for branch circuits (ie, outlets in your house).

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 20, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Two questions!

1) Callipers and a chart of screw types and dimensions.

If you don’t have callipers, take it to the hardware store and ask for help.

2) Replace the fill valve.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Take it down to Lowes and start rifling around in the big wall of screws until you find one that looks similar.

quote:

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDMBcuSNXE

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't know about others but I know that Lowes has templates to fit screws and bolts in to figure out their size

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

StrixNebulosa posted:

Two questions!

I have no idea about the first one, but you may want to clarify what you mean by screaming. Is it a high pitched sound or is there literal hell beasts involved when the toilet is flushed?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The US Postal Service charges more for mail that is “non-machinable” aka not standard envelope shaped or too rigid. Has anyone had a piece of mail returned because they didn’t provide the extra amount?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wouldn't you?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

smackfu posted:

The US Postal Service charges more for mail that is “non-machinable” aka not standard envelope shaped or too rigid. Has anyone had a piece of mail returned because they didn’t provide the extra amount?

Not returned, but I had to go to the post office once and pay an extra $1.73 or something like that for a non-standard envelope my mom once mailed me. There had been some little notice left in my mail box, sort of like their delivery attempt ones, and I had no idea what it was for until I went to the post office, paid, and they handed the envelope to me.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've toured a bunch of Northern/Western European palaces, and the nobilities' rooms always have meter thick walls with tiny hidden doorways leading to... something. Presumably passages for servants to move unseen, carrying food or whatever. Thing is, pretty much every palace is presented such that you only walk through the areas that were meant for public display and ostentation. Are there any where the visitors are instead guided through the servant's quarters and passageways? I'm way more curious about that aspect now, than I am looking at high ceilinged rooms with themed wallpaper and drapes.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

I ]need the gaslights I live in town and the countdy county. a largish we to loos. In smaller place -- where I have lived -- power can be outs for days ov em i]weeks[o. You'd best have an alternate source for light and heat. And I simply like the soft

You n=must assume. everyone is talking talking propane -- some places might have natural gases between few and far between., down south,

Would it primarily curer to know that I primarily head with wood?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

dustin.h posted:

Realer question: I don't particularly care and will keep doing it either way, but is there a code issue with running old lights and appliances? Appliances not so much, but I'm very fond of 1910s lighting fixtures and I prefer original wiring. Never had an issue yet in 15 years, but it bothers some people and they tell me I'm violating "a code". Never what code and they can't tell me when pressed, just " a code"/

It seems a crime to tamper with something much older than me -- twice as old or more. A 90 year old lamp, after beeping it out on the meter to ensure safety, ought to be left alone in my mind. I wouldn't think of touching the wires. Even if they are frayed, I''d just put on a sleeve of heat-shrink tubing on if possible or just electrical tape if not, but almost none are damaged in any way. I do have some dangerous electrical things where the case becomes live, but.... well, just don't touch the case and you haven't a problem.

Edit: table lamps, primarily, but also floor lamps and wired-in electroliers.

"Code" refers to building codes. Engineering standards that are meant to ensure places people live won't catch fire and kill them, or contain horrible substances that will give them cancer and eventually kill them.

Old stuff can be, but is not always, a problem because it would have been put in before such "codes" existed. Look up what kind of horrific poo poo went into food before passage of the Pure Food and Drug act. Now extrapolate that to electrical wiring.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

dustin.h posted:

I ]need the gaslights I live in town and the countdy county. a largish we to loos. In smaller place -- where I have lived -- power can be outs for days ov em i]weeks[o. You'd best have an alternate source for light and heat. And I simply like the soft

You n=must assume. everyone is talking talking propane -- some places might have natural gases between few and far between., down south,

I highly recommend getting a carbon monoxide detector.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

dupersaurus posted:

I don't know about others but I know that Lowes has templates to fit screws and bolts in to figure out their size
My local ace has these and they are all stripped.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 20, 2021

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

dustin.h posted:

Whatever you've been drinking/taking/smoking/snorting/injecting/huffing, I suggest you let it wear off completely before doing any electrical work. (Really tho hire a pro)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Grouchio posted:

Many thanks! As a follow up - is it normal to still feel fatigue a week after the shot?

A week might be pushing it, but I've been feeling fatigued for about 2 years now myself.

Check your temp yourself, if you have a fever, go see a doctor. It could be a side effect, you might have the flu, you might have something else.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've toured a bunch of Northern/Western European palaces, and the nobilities' rooms always have meter thick walls with tiny hidden doorways leading to... something. Presumably passages for servants to move unseen, carrying food or whatever. Thing is, pretty much every palace is presented such that you only walk through the areas that were meant for public display and ostentation. Are there any where the visitors are instead guided through the servant's quarters and passageways? I'm way more curious about that aspect now, than I am looking at high ceilinged rooms with themed wallpaper and drapes.

You might have to look for tours on stuff like that specifically with the tour companies, but I would believe that it could be a liability to guide people through narrow, dark, passages, and it's probably really dull on the inside anyway. I just imagine an enclosed hallway connecting maybe the lord's bedroom to the kitchen. That's it. Probably not decorated beyond finished walls, maybe. And maybe that's the point, either it's "You've seen Room A and B, here's door A that connects to door B through a dull grey hallway." Or maybe it's that the connected rooms are not part of the tour for whatever reason.

If it was an entire interconnected hallway system that ran through all the walls, that might be another reason to not let everyone through as you could have people get lost.

All of that being said, I've been on tours through "old world Wisconsin" which is less about palaces, and more historical re-enactments, but there you could get tours of servants quarters and all the places where the "lesser" folk worked.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

dustin.h posted:

I don't think there are enough posts in the stupid/small question thread to properly train a model. You might want to point the scraper to quora or yahoo answers for enough input to end up with something realistic

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

My best guess would be that it’s the loo or wardrobe (which could even be the same thing). Are there no building plans for these palaces? Or maybe just write an email and ask?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Whatever you've been drinking/taking/smoking/snorting/injecting/huffing, I suggest you let it wear off completely before doing any electrical work. (Really tho hire a pro)

I'm guessing it's Ambien

dustin.h posted:

Well, if your only experience with sedatives are benzos, Z-drugs like Ambien are a whole different kind of beast. Acting erratically doesn't begin to describe it. If Ambien fails to make you sleep, it will make you batshit crazy for hours on end. I don't think it would make you racist specifically, no, but it would make you nonsensical and potentially dangerous (dangerous to yourself, mainly, from starting fires). And the plus side is, you won't remember a single second of it in the morning.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are there any where the visitors are instead guided through the servant's quarters and passageways? I'm way more curious about that aspect now, than I am looking at high ceilinged rooms with themed wallpaper and drapes.

Here’s one for the Doge’s Palace that looks really cool:
https://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/pianifica-la-tua-visita/special-itineraries/secret-itineraries-tour/

Versailles also has some but I think they are more private rooms of the royalty vs the official public spaces.

“Behind the scenes” and “secret” are good keywords. Generally have to get into the individual guides and away from the bus tour hordes.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
For the lighting and code question, if you mean older lamps with suspicious wiring that you really like the look of, including the cord, plug it into a GFCI circuit and it'll be "fine" in a broad sense. If you mean that you want to preserve the wiring within the walls, please please please don't do that. Find a way to become less attached to an extremely ephemeral, invisible aspect of the wiring and fix that kind of thing. I think old wiring is neat, I love looking at it and I think I'd have a really fun time installing it in some bizarre re-enactor kind of way, but it's not a good idea to keep it around except out of an outright financial inability to update it (and even then, see if your city has, like, some kind of way to offset that).
There is a very real chance of a fire, because old wiring gets hot and hot things light on fire and many types of walls (especially old walls that you're also preserving) will catch fire and the entire house will burn down. Redoing the wiring within a wall is obviously a massive pain, and I dislike advice that just says "get an electrician" when that can be prohibitively expensive for a lot of people, but if you're getting yourself into a situation where you're preserving an older house and perhaps starting to funnel a lot of disposable income into it as a hobby you should find an electrician who will work around your quirky requirements for visible wiring and lighting and update the internal wiring to make it safe.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

smackfu posted:

What do you think the little QR codes on each sticker are for?

They are not QR codes, but are two-dimensional bar codes of some sort. This site: https://www.premierelectronics.com/blog/barcode-types-identificaton-understanding calls it a data matrix. The codes on the two labels look different, so I would guess that they are used for inventory management of some sort during the manufacturing process, and not for public consumption. There might be some sort of process where the same line packages the same stuff for multiple countries, and so the labeling machine is programmed with the inventory code for EU/Spain labeling, and then double-checks that the labels it is pulling off of a stack actually have the correct code for EU/Spain top labels for "Listerine Flavor-Fiesta Blast" mouthwash, so they don't have to scrap a whole production run because somebody accidentally loaded the machine with labels for Korea.

MyronMulch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 21, 2021

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

What do Koreans have against "Listerine Flavor-Fiesta Blast" mouthwash? It's the best flavour you savages.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Hipster_Doofus posted:

A tocuh of barbiturates. I have a weakness to them. Haven't touched Ambien in years -- the stuff is too dangerous. Newer isn't better. The poorly spelled point still stand. I'll buzz out a fixture when I get one to ensure no leaks from the lines to the case, and if if there are obvious frays connecting to the bronze, I'll tube it or at the very least wrap it in tape, but I see no reason to do more damage. And I do see it as damage. I'm filled with such glee when I find a light fixture in an antique store that hasn't been tampered with since it was built.

The post comes from coming away with the most marvelous, untouched early 1910s table lamp and so many have told me I'm a fool for using it. But it tests fine, the wires are fine, I see no reason why it isn't in perfect condition.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Just watched one of those glitter bomb package thief deterrent vids on youtube. Some of the culprits faces were blurred out, some weren't. What's allowable in cases like this? Can't imagine some people gave permission to have their faces shown and some didn't.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Since those are all staged, it probably depends on whether your friend gives you permission or not

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

regulargonzalez posted:

Since those are all staged, it probably depends on whether your friend gives you permission or not

Ah good point. It's a seemingly well-respected Youtuber so I figured it was legit but who knows. People post Ring videos of thieves on public forums without blurring faces, where I'm guessing expectation of privacy or the lack thereof comes into play, but this vid showed some people opening the boxes inside their homes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

socketwrencher posted:

Ah good point. It's a seemingly well-respected Youtuber so I figured it was legit but who knows. People post Ring videos of thieves on public forums without blurring faces, where I'm guessing expectation of privacy or the lack thereof comes into play, but this vid showed some people opening the boxes inside their homes.

That specific guy definitely faked the first video in the series and got caught.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Platystemon posted:

That specific guy definitely faked the first video in the series and got caught.

Good to know. Still wondering though- if the vids had been legit, could they be posted publicly without permission?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

There's no expectation of privacy in a public space. The videos from inside other people's homes would need the face blurred per my understanding. IANAL, grain of salt.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

regulargonzalez posted:

There's no expectation of privacy in a public space. The videos from inside other people's homes would need the face blurred per my understanding. IANAL, grain of salt.

Makes sense, thanks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

What do Koreans have against "Listerine Flavor-Fiesta Blast" mouthwash? It's the best flavour you savages.

There was a green tea flavor of Listerine when I visited Taiwan several years ago, and it was loving delicious.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For US consumers, what are decent chocolate brands that are readily available? I know that if I really want some quality chocolate, I have to buy from a small-batch maker. But if I just want to pick up something from the grocery store, would folks say like Dove, Ghirardelli, Lindt, etc. are decent? Or do people poo poo on them as much as Hersheys?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Theo’s is pretty well regarded and fairly easy to find.

But I don’t think buying any chocolate with a percentage of cocoa on the label would do you wrong.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

hooah posted:

For US consumers, what are decent chocolate brands that are readily available? I know that if I really want some quality chocolate, I have to buy from a small-batch maker. But if I just want to pick up something from the grocery store, would folks say like Dove, Ghirardelli, Lindt, etc. are decent? Or do people poo poo on them as much as Hersheys?

Those brands are very decent. You absolutely do not have to go to a small batch maker for quality. Hell, you probably have multiple candy shops right where you live that have a ton of good stuff.

The whole American vs European chocolate stuff is very overblown. Outside than the unique grossness of butyric acid chocolate (which is undeniably gross) the price is going to be a way bigger factor than the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hooah posted:

Lindt is my favorite of the big name brands. I’ve had good luck with Alter Ego bars, but I don’t know how widely available they are.