Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

don't be an rear end in a top hat

dont lie to healthcare professionals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
https://twitter.com/POTUS?ref_src=t...ingawful.com%2F

Well at least one of the things we've discussed in this thread looks like it's going to happen. Mr Joe Biden if you're reading this please do the same thing with N95 masks and establish a federal jobs program for contact tracing, TIA.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Professor Beetus posted:

Well at least one of the things we've discussed in this thread looks like it's going to happen. Mr Joe Biden if you're reading this please do the same thing with N95 masks and establish a federal jobs program for contact tracing, TIA.

Maine just fired all their school contact tracing staff and declared all school outbreaks closed and aren't going to restart next year.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Maine just fired all their school contact tracing staff and declared all school outbreaks closed and aren't going to restart next year.

Well that seems like the opposite of good.

v Covid free? No, free Covid! v

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 22, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Good to hear that they managed to permanently beat covid and haven't had a any cases in months. Why else would they decide to do that, after all.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

dont lie to healthcare professionals

A healthcare professional is who told me to do that. I didn't, but anyway.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

What's your issue with this? I think there's been data out for quite a while showing waning at 65 days in that population (and probably everyone).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Still not sure why the spit-in-a-tube PCR test hasn't gotten more widespread use compared to the deep nasal swabs.

It's how my kids test at school, and how we tested my older one last week.

Maybe it's just Illinois pride in the U of I Shield Test? Not sure.

Seriously, I love the spit test. I can be in and out in three minutes and two of that is parking the drat car.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

What's your issue with this? I think there's been data out for quite a while showing waning at 65 days in that population (and probably everyone).

Honestly I would say anyone who has an issue with covid vaccines every 6 months is either:

1) anti-science / anti-vax
2) brainwashed into neoliberal ideology

This has been known since delta and to be surprised at this point is to admit to not paying attention (which I wouldn’t say is a bad thing given hold dire the covid news is).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Honestly I would say anyone who has an issue with covid vaccines every 6 months is either:

This has been known since delta and to be surprised at this point is to admit to not paying attention (which I wouldn’t say is a bad thing given hold dire the covid news is).

What the heck does “neoliberal ideology” even mean in this context?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Incidence of myocarditis increased with the 3rd dose though it was only really of concern in younger men (under 25).

It's not anti-science to say additional vaccine doses should go through some testing for safety and efficacy. That's literally the definition of good science, it's precautionary principle. You don't just give people a booster every 6mo because it was the correct thing to do for the third shot, you test it first.

Presumably Israel has already tested fourth doses before they started rolling them out.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Sure, but those people exist. It's unfortunate that boosters appear to need to be that often because like it or not, it's going to limit uptake. People saying that's unfortunate doesn't mean they are anti-science / antivax, just that they know other people are and the more frequent vaccines are required, the less uptake we're going to see.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's a neoliberal and what ideology of theirs means they won't take booster shots

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
If anything, "neoliberal ideology" would be 100% behind "just pay this pharmaceutical company every 6 months and the problem is solved, we don't need any of those icky NPIs that harm our precious economy"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Neoliberalism would be enthusiasm for 2x yearly boosters if they were sold by drug manufacturers and distributed by private pharmacies and health providers, with end-user costs covered by a means-tested tax credit that must be requested by mail with .pdf forms that can only be printed on home printers. Also the manufacturers own the vaccine patents and the genome sequences of all people involved in clinical trials, in perpetuity.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I have definitely seen weirdos online saying "oh so pretty soon they're gonna want you to take a FOURTH shot!" to imply it's all some Big Pharma conspiracy or whatever.

I personally do not give a gently caress, I get a flu shot every year, if I have to get a COVID shot three times a year that will still be by far the least onerous thing that has been imposed on me during the last two years.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

kiimo posted:

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I had J&J March 17th and just got my Moderna booster like 30 minutes ago.

Should I have lied and said I wasn't vaccinated and act like I'm starting from the beginning and gotten a Moderna - 1st shot?

Now that I have a moderna booster should I boost again in 3 weeks to be safer?

Don't lie to health care workers

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It could simply be "it sucks we have to keep getting boosted"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

brugroffil posted:

It could simply be "it sucks we have to keep getting boosted"

It can suck all it wants but you'd have to be dumb as gently caress to thing getting Covid wouldn't be worse. Unfortunately *gestures at nationwide US vaccination rates*

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Right. Sometimes reality sucks. It's okay to acknowledge that even as you accept it as fact.

It sucks that we'll so likely need fourth boosters. Maybe annual or semi annual covid shots.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

dwarf74 posted:

You read that wrong. It's not until Feb 1st, it's changing the plan that's currently to restart Feb 1st.

Mellow Seas posted:

Really, if you are reading "the White House is very seriously considering moving the resumption of payments by one day, and this is a news story" maybe apply some critical thinking and realize you're probably not reading things right.

I won't shame you specifically for not clicking the link because "Politico Pro" lolol

Yeah I guess I'm just completely loving defeated politically enough to think this was a thing. Thanks for pointing out that I misread this.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

kiimo posted:

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I had J&J March 17th and just got my Moderna booster like 30 minutes ago.

Should I have lied and said I wasn't vaccinated and act like I'm starting from the beginning and gotten a Moderna - 1st shot?

I’d talk to more doctors, but getting your Moderna shot post-J&J is more like getting a second shot than a first. You definitely shouldn’t need another shot in three weeks, though you might consider another booster within six months (hopefully they’ll be more data by then).

There’s increasing evidence that post-second-dose effectiveness is a bit better and longer lasting with a larger interval between doses. The three-week interval used initially was mostly to get people fully protected as quickly as possible since you’re more vulnerable between doses 1 and 2. That’s less of a problem between dose 2 and a booster, though again keep an eye out for booster waning data for J&J initial shots.

Those are good questions and I don’t think we even have preliminary answers to things like “how quickly does boosted J&J protection wane”.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Looking at the current available data, I’m thinking that Omicron is going to be worse than Delta. Much worse. Granted, the vaccinated will be fine.

And I don’t think there’s much we’re able to given that everyone is exhausted with all the restrictions and there no political will.

Please tell me I’m wrong, I would love for things to finally get better.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
This sound legit?

https://twitter.com/OKnox/status/1473476555804487693?s=20

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

nah bro never heard of it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Several different entities have indeed been developing a pancoronavirus vaccine and let's all hope to God it works.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

Yes, you should have lied.

No, 3 weeks is too soon if you got a J&J boost.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

Boosters hit me hard and my third shot of Moderna gave me full blown 100.4F fever and chills for a day.

Just not looking forward to endless boosters when every one costs me a day of feeling lovely is all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It has to work, though. How long until we know that?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It has to work, though. How long until we know that?

regardless of its efficacy it will have to go through clinical trials

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Looking at the current available data, I’m thinking that Omicron is going to be worse than Delta. Much worse. Granted, the vaccinated will be fine.

And I don’t think there’s much we’re able to given that everyone is exhausted with all the restrictions and there no political will.

Please tell me I’m wrong, I would love for things to finally get better.

"Granted, the vaccinated (+ boosted) will be better protected" is more accurate, unfortunately.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Drew Weissman, the dude who worked with Katalin Kariko to put together the mRNA vaccine platform, has been working on a pan coronavirus vaccine for a while now. It doesn't surprise me that now that the rest of the world is working on mRNA vaccines for basically everything, someone's making strides on it this quickly.

Gonna be a long while before it actually gets into anybody's arms, though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What the heck does “neoliberal ideology” even mean in this context?

"People I don't like and think are stupid", clearly in this case.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Stickman posted:

"Granted, the vaccinated (+ boosted) will be better protected" is more accurate, unfortunately.

In the sense that vaccination prevents death or really freaking close.

Looking at what omicron has done to a Country like Denmark that has a 98% vaccination rate, I can only imagine what it’s going to do given it’s even more transmissible with breakthrough infections. That’s only more death and more disruption. The only positive thing I see from earlier forecasts is a recovery by April-May.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lol, I just got a letter to the householder from the federal government with a little chart where you can write down when your family's boosters are due, "six months" after your last shot, which comes a few days after the health authorities revised the gap to five months and the same day they're saying the state booster clinics in Victoria will let you get it after four. February, here I come!

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I guess my objection to shot #4 is primarily that the whole point of this tech is that we can develop them quickly, so my 4th shot should be one specifically tailored to the currently dominant strain(s), not just another dose of the thing we whipped together two years ago. The lack of urgency around getting Omicron-specific boosters (or delta, or heck even beta) going is really obnoxious to me. Even if the wave has passed by the time you get them out you've still got immunity to something that is closer to whatever wave N+1 is than the original strain.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

DancingMachine posted:

I guess my objection to shot #4 is primarily that the whole point of this tech is that we can develop them quickly, so my 4th shot should be one specifically tailored to the currently dominant strain(s), not just another dose of the thing we whipped together two years ago. The lack of urgency around getting Omicron-specific boosters (or delta, or heck even beta) going is really obnoxious to me. Even if the wave has passed by the time you get them out you've still got immunity to something that is closer to whatever wave N+1 is than the original strain.

they're still producing vaccine that is primarily for people to get first shots and they're tooled up to produce that in massive quantities, so they really might as well keep that going until everyone is vaccinated before prioritizing bespoke boosters for the already vaccinated

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tooled up?

I was told that mRNA technology enabled them to pivot on a dime.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they're still producing vaccine that is primarily for people to get first shots and they're tooled up to produce that in massive quantities, so they really might as well keep that going until everyone is vaccinated before prioritizing bespoke boosters for the already vaccinated

There's nothing bespoke though, there's no value for anybody in making a vaccines for wild type at this point. Yes, you have to flush the supply of the existing and switch manufacturing over and there would be a transition where you are still giving people sub-optimal (but still useful) wild-type vaccines, but that should be as short a period as possible. If a bunch of currently unvaccinated people end up getting their first does being one that is tailored to dominant variants, that is totally fine and in fact preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Platystemon posted:

Tooled up?

I was told that mRNA technology enabled them to pivot on a dime.

I'm using it figuratively obviously, however any significant change in the vaccine will have to go through trials again. or they could just keep producing massive amounts of the current covid juice that's still vastly, hugely better than nothing, particularly when freshly administered.

DancingMachine posted:

there's no value for anybody in making a vaccines for wild type at this point.

that appears to be extremely not the case though?