Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFXII on Switch is one of the most fun FF experiences I’ve ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Help I started FFXII The Zodiac Age and it’s a huge improvement over the original and also owns, how do I stop myself from playing it every minute I’m not working?

Also, I have Basch as a monk, if I equip him with a shield does he not count as barehanded? I gave him the accessory that makes him punch harder and have the license ability plus a bunch of Battle Lore licenses so he is punching the poo poo out of every enemy and it rules.

Edit: I grinded a bunch of money and exp chaining skeletons in the Lhusu Mines and felt cocky so when I was in Dalmasca Westersand I tried to steal from Gnoma Entite and run away but it murdered my whole team :laugh: truly the quintessential FFXII experience.

Automate it with a gambit

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

up to Reactor 5 in VIIR. Only cloud has materia thats levelled (Chakra on tifa aside; and is that worth using? Not sure) Ive got Thundara and Cura at least

I need to get better at char switching, so far I mainly do it to pop off an Ability or heal. There any guides for combat and char builds you all would recommend?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Are the PC and Switch versions the same? I played it on PC a bit and never finished it, but playing handheld would be an absolute treat and it's on sale for $25 right now.

Yep, they're both the Zodiac Age version. The PC version obviously has the ability to be modded unlike the Switch version and can run at a higher resolution/framerate but other than that they're the same.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also, I have Basch as a monk, if I equip him with a shield does he not count as barehanded? I gave him the accessory that makes him punch harder and have the license ability plus a bunch of Battle Lore licenses so he is punching the poo poo out of every enemy and it rules.

Equipping a shield does negate the brawler bonus iirc

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HD DAD posted:

FFXII on Switch is one of the most fun FF experiences I’ve ever had.

Harrow posted:

Yep, they're both the Zodiac Age version. The PC version obviously has the ability to be modded unlike the Switch version and can run at a higher resolution/framerate but other than that they're the same.

Sold - glad to hear there are no exclusive features, as I liked what I played on PC.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Isn't it actually the other way around, and switch has some minor exclusive features?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It used to but now every version of the game has parity.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think it was the job respec and gambit sets which I think were ported back to the other versions

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why did Sin destroy Dream Zanarkand?

What happened to everyone living there after Sin destroyed it?

Why did Tidus fade away at the end? Could he have gotten someone pregnant?

Why did Yu Yevon turn into a beetle?

What was Yunalesca’s deal?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

jokes posted:

To bring Tidus to Spira.

quote:

Good question.

quote:

Because only the Fayth staying on Spira kept him existing. When they properly died and went on to the Farplane, he no longer had the magic to sustain him.

Given the Dream people can gently caress and have kids, maybe

quote:

No idea

quote:

She wanted to ensure her father's legacy lived on by having everyone follow his teachings. Maechen explains it all if you talk to him on Gagazet at the end:

"Rumors flew in Bevelle about Sin's sudden appearance. They said that the people of Zanarkand became the fayth, that they had called Sin. And that the man responsible... was none other than the summoner Yevon, ruler of Zanarkand! Yes, the lord father of Lady Yunalesca." On the eve of Zanarkand's destruction, Lady Yunalesca... had fled to safety with her husband, Zaon. Later, the two used the Final Summoning to defeat Sin. Yet the people of Bevelle still feared Yu Yevon." It was to quell his wrath that they revered him, and first spread his teachings. And so were born the temples of Yevon. I suppose it's possible Yunalesca had planned it that way from the start! A fair trade, she defeats Sin in exchange for her lord father's honor."

A thousand years of unlife also seemed to convince her human existence was basically misery with only a facade of hope making it bearable. Reading philosophy made FFX even better for me.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

jokes posted:

Jecht as Sin planned that he would take Auron and Tidus to Spira (we know this because Auron speaks to Jecht right before they're sucked up into Sin). According to the Ultimania Sin's "wreck everything" instinct kicked in when it found itself near a city, which is a little weird as it's supposed to protect Zanarkand. Maybe it got confused by Jecht exerting his control?

Yu Yevon / the Fayth just remade it all?

The Fayth are sent to the Farplane by Yuna so the dreams they summon also disappear. Who knows, maybe there's a fanfic that explores the issue

I assume the beetle form represents how he's surrendered all his humanity over a thousand years and is literally just a parasite now

Yu Yevon's daughter and first summoner to beat Sin, never got sent so she just hangs out and tells successive summoners that they need to do exactly what she did and gets upset if you say that way is dumb

efb by better answers

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Reading philosophy made FFX even better for me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Have you read this? Do you know if it's any good? I love academia engaging with my pop and showing the layers to it but of course it's sometimes just a lot of hot air.

I'm by no means an academic of any kind but this was my Nietzschean reading of FFX that I'm proud of. At the very least, the books/articles I quote are worth reading.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Have you read this? Do you know if it's any good? I love academia engaging with my pop and showing the layers to it but of course it's sometimes just a lot of hot air.

I'm by no means an academic of any kind but this was my Nietzschean reading of FFX that I'm proud of. At the very least, the books/articles I quote are worth reading.

I have not, I'm posting it entirely for the cover

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

NikkolasKing posted:

The store I work at sells it, it’s part of a series of “the philosophy of (insert pop fiction here)” books. They don’t seem very good tbh

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

Because only the Fayth staying on Spira kept him existing. When they properly died and went on to the Farplane, he no longer had the magic to sustain him.

That's part of what bothered me about X-2. The Fayth in X were like "we've been dreaming for a thousand years please let us die", and defeating Yu Yevon did just that- they were supposed to pass on. But then in X-2 they're still hanging around and are all "sure, we can bring Tidus back why not."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

That's part of what bothered me about X-2. The Fayth in X were like "we've been dreaming for a thousand years please let us die", and defeating Yu Yevon did just that- they were supposed to pass on. But then in X-2 they're still hanging around and are all "sure, we can bring Tidus back why not."

I mean they're literally pulled out of the afterlife in X-2. Since in Spira you can literally walk over to the place.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean they're literally pulled out of the afterlife in X-2. Since in Spira you can literally walk over to the place.

I didn't play X-2 but I thought it was strongly implied in X that the farplane isn't actually the afterlife, it's pyreflies taking the form of visitors' memories of their loved ones and people just choose to believe it's the afterlife because that's more comforting to them?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Everything is pyreflies. Including everything in FF7.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Procrastine posted:

I didn't play X-2 but I thought it was strongly implied in X that the farplane isn't actually the afterlife, it's pyreflies taking the form of visitors' memories of their loved ones and people just choose to believe it's the afterlife because that's more comforting to them?

No pyreflies can actually take the form of the dead. When you visit there the first time Seymours dad actually drags himself out of the afterlife

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It’s the same as how the Lifestream is a physical thing that can be seen in FF7, I think. The Farplane is a similar concept, there’s just that one door to it that people visit sometimes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lol @ Yuna being like “yeah that sounds awesome” when Shinra brings up burning souls for electricity.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Procrastine posted:

Rikku explains the Farplane like that but it isn't said to be the correct answer and I think X-2 confirms that being wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Rikku explains the Farplane like that but it isn't said to be the correct answer and I think X-2 confirms that being wrong.

I think it's both. The Pyreflies reflect the thoughts of people who visit by summoning up an image of the shade but they are summoning up some version of the shade because living people aren't there. (Neither are unsent for presumably the same reason, their soul is still inhabiting their mortal body.)

Like you can't go the Farplane and say hi to your dead brother and have him actually respond but the pyreflies are drawing on something that makes that person what they are (and like we see with Seymour's dad you can totally drag your rear end out if you're pissed off enough.)

HD DAD posted:

Lol @ Yuna being like “yeah that sounds awesome” when Shinra brings up burning souls for electricity.

It's a bit more complex than that because Pyreflies aren't quite souls but more like a magical building matter everything is made out of. A lot of the technology/magitechnology they use is pyrefly based in some fashion so "what if we could harness this to make energy" makes sense if you assume you're just basically using natural resources that are everywhere and not literally people's souls.

Still a terrible idea but easier to understand something people are okay with.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
About to start FF12 on the Switch. Have not played this game since the original PS2 release. Anything I should be going for early on?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I've ever hated anything as much as this image.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

About to start FF12 on the Switch. Have not played this game since the original PS2 release. Anything I should be going for early on?

Honestly? Don't stress. FF12 is an incredibly easy game but it has a lot of incredibly annoying little optimizations or hidden secrets that focusing on basically drains huge chunks of fun from the game. Just play it how you want and don't worry about grinding for superpowerfulomnigear you absolutely don't need.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I defeated Hell House :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Everyone will eventually get two jobs and also you can respec for free so don't stress too much about... well, anything, really. Nothing is truly missable, either. The worst that can happen is you miss a spell in a chest in a dungeon you completed and have to go back and get it, but you'll never miss anything permanently.

If you want a challenge, doing hunts and fighting optional Espers as soon as they're available can be really challenging, and pretty fun IMO. But again nothing is truly missable so if you would rather wait and come back with better gear, that's cool, too. In general, gear and licenses will have a bigger effect on your power than level for most of the game.

Oh, one thing to note is that there's equipment that boosts the damage of a specific element by 50% and the game doesn't really tell you that in the tooltips. You'll make your Black Mage a lot stronger if they hold a Flame Staff when they cast fire spells, or a Cherry Staff when they cast aero spells, etc.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

HD DAD posted:

gently caress them souls.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Look, either the souls just fly around and come back as fiends or they can power the blitzball stadium.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah, if I was getting attacked by a dozen souls every time I walked down to the beach for Blitzball practice, I'd be all in favor of stuffing them into a furnace too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

HD DAD posted:

Extremely on brand for someone named Shinra, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Leal posted:

Look, either the souls just fly around and come back as fiends or they can power the blitzball stadium.

I think this is the much bigger problem with X-2. It just never once answers "what happens to people who die?" X firmly establishes they need to be Sent but there are no more Summoners in X-2 and we are never even given a single offhand line of dialogue about how there are now "professional Senders" to deal with this.

I guess the dead are just left as is and become dingos and blobs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shinra sucks up all the pyreflies into his patent pending M.A.K.O. Reactor

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

NikkolasKing posted:

I think this is the much bigger problem with X-2. It just never once answers "what happens to people who die?" X firmly establishes they need to be Sent but there are no more Summoners in X-2 and we are never even given a single offhand line of dialogue about how there are now "professional Senders" to deal with this.

There's apparently some audio drama set after the two FFX games and one of the main characters in it is a professional sender https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X_-Will-

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

NikkolasKing posted:

On the plus side, the International content reveals that you are 100% capable of maintaining your sense of self as a fiend.

Your starter monster was a Yevon priest in life, and is so loving happy to be working with a High Summoner.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol, that owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Lmao