Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

StormDrain posted:

Yes blow it out and next year do it in October. I think its been cold enough that I wouldn't be surprised to find out your backflow preventor or anything else exposed is damaged now. You should do the internal shutoff now and drain it down if you haven't already.

:cool:

Yeah everything was shut off/drained, I think they just didn't have someone do the actual blowout.

Either way, scheduled for tomorrow. :ohdear: Wish I could be there but unfortunately they don't work past 2pm or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah I’m a pro. A pro homeowner. :colbert:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

There’s a goon who has spent 7 years unsuccessfully renovating his house who bought a panel van to help him buy supplies they will sit unused in his non functioning kitchen

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Upgrade posted:

There’s a goon who has spent 7 years unsuccessfully renovating his house who bought a panel van to help him buy supplies they will sit unused in his non functioning kitchen

drat, I didn't know that my dad posted here. He doesn't even have the internet!

Edit: nvm, he doesn't own a van

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm in the process of turning our new house's 2 car garage + workshop in to a 3 car garage. Got 3 quotes (from the 10+ or so places that I called/didn't want the job). The place I liked the most just came down in price and I signed a contract. They're telling me things should be done within 30 days. :toot:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Residency Evil posted:

They're telling me things should be done within 30 days. :toot:

I'll take the over if anyone wants the under

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I'm in the process of turning our new house's 2 car garage + workshop in to a 3 car garage. Got 3 quotes (from the 10+ or so places that I called/didn't want the job). The place I liked the most just came down in price and I signed a contract. They're telling me things should be done within 30 days. :toot:

How much?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Nybble posted:

Absolutely not. I guess it would take 90 days at the EARLIEST

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Just quoting this so I can find it when my calendar notification pops up January 20

Did you already finish the permitting process

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nybble posted:

DoubleT2172 posted:

Absolutely not. I guess it would take 90 days at the EARLIEST

:negative:

16k.

Hadlock posted:

Just quoting this so I can find it when my calendar notification pops up January 20

Did you already finish the permitting process

No permits required for this thankfully. We're not changing anything structural, just adding a door/cutting some concrete/adding a little concrete driveway. And to be clear, the guy said that "we'll start within the next 30 days and it shouldn't take more than 3-4 days or so."

:v:

So yeah, I guess if it hasn't started by the 20th...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well, by 30 days we meant next month, which is January, and by January we're talking next year, and we're closed for Christmas and new year's so the bid is effective January 1st 2022 with completion early next year

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well by January 1 really we mean January 4 because we take the day before and after the new years weekend off, and we observe MLK day, that's a Monday, so more like February 5th

I'm skeptical about your no permit plan but ok

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

I'm skeptical about your no permit plan but ok

This is one of the most/highest reviewed companies in the area, and they specifically said this doesn't need a permit. :ohdear:

Although the other guy who was awful at answering any texts/calls/sending an invoice just texted asking if it's ok if they start tomorrow!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Elem7 posted:

If this is an option it may be your best bet, have you called around and asked how long it'll take to get a new Subzero?

Our Viking built-in fridge died recently and unlike Subzero the parts for it haven't been made for years, repairman tried to source a new mainboard but what they got was a revision that didn't seem to work with the rest of the original electronics and it wasn't worth replacing the rest. We were told even if we got our current issue fixed the sealed systems were on borrowed time at its age and not fixable so we decided to just replace it.

Like you we thought prices for built-in fridges were ridiculous but not wanting to deal with modifying the space we decided to bite the bullet and... oh welps 6 months optimistically to get any built-in fridge where I live, 10+ months for a Subzero, nevermind. We ended up ordering a regular counter-depth fridge which had the same capacity as our old built-in despite being a foot shorter and I'm just going to panel the area surrounding it in 1/4 veneered plywood that matches our cabinets.

Ugh, gently caress. Guess I should call around for repairs more seriously and then actually get a lead-time. Pretty sure it’ll be some BI-36 variant.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Locked in my refi at 2.875% :toot:

Just asking the rep at Better for a deal if I signed today dropped the rate from 3 and subtracted$500 in points. Always ask for a deal!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

CloFan posted:

Locked in my refi at 2.875% :toot:

Just asking the rep at Better for a deal if I signed today dropped the rate from 3 and subtracted$500 in points. Always ask for a deal!

Mine is 2.874% :smug:. I probably spent a little bit too much on points, but whatever, it's insurance against losing a job to some extent.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I refi'd at 2.5%. I am happy with the refi.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm replacing the hollow door on our bedroom to help with sound. Cheap upgrade.

Although I should do the guest room too since the opening measures 30-1/4" and it doesn't really work right.

Oh the bathroom is the same and my wife's music when she takes a bath is annoying so that's another easy upgrade.

Oh I suppose the other bedroom up there with a visible gap should be replaced.

I should really scrape this ceiling and repaint the hall too. And paint the handrail. And change the light I hate. And put the other light in a three way switch so I can operate on each end of the hall. And the louver for the attic fan is disgusting, doesn't operate right either, I should replace that. And it's not a normal size opening, so I'll probably frame it down or enlarge it.

Then she asks me to paint the bathroom? The audacity.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Home ownership sure owns.

Had some guys come out and inspect our roof since we WAIVED OUR INSPECTION - looks great, but now we'll need to hire a mason to help remortar our chimneys (seven).

And going to have to pay a bunch to fix some janky rear end job the PO did on gutter work off our balcony (covered up original inbuilt gutters, using some janky emergency tape).

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Seven chimneys? I think that's the highest number I've come across so far. Must be quite a house. I've got one for the furnace technically in my condo and that's it! A lack of fireplace, preferably wood burning, was definitely one of my saddest compromises.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

:cool:

Yeah everything was shut off/drained, I think they just didn't have someone do the actual blowout.

Either way, scheduled for tomorrow. :ohdear: Wish I could be there but unfortunately they don't work past 2pm or something.

Just got blown out. The guy said it wasn't too bad and someone had probably done it somewhat recently. :negative:

Anything I need to know about sprinklers before turning them on in the spring? Do I just get water to them again and hope for the best?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

It’s large and old. None of the fireplaces will ever be used.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Inner Light posted:

Seven chimneys? I think that's the highest number I've come across so far. Must be quite a house.
For God's sake, whatever you do, don't throw a house party and get snowed in.

And if you do, don't invite that rich uncle everybody hates.

And if you do, be very cautious around that sweet little old lady who knits all the time. Or the obnoxious Belgian guy.

I came here to whine about appliances, because 'tis the season. In August, I ordered one of two brands of dishwasher that would fit under our low cast-marble countertop. We are absolutely talking about hundreds of dollars to change the 1950s (guessing) cabinetry and raise it to American standard heights. So we special-ordered the Bosch ADA-compliant model, which happens to fit the space. The latest update is that Bosch is halving their production right now, and they are making no promises about anything arriving at any time ever. I am uncomfortably aware that if you're able to produce only part of your product line, you are going to make the stuff you sell at highest volume and for the highest prices. Setting up a line, fabbing parts, and using up precious chips for the weirdo tiny ADA dishwasher you sell a hundred of a year is going to be a low priority.

Wah.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Just got blown out. The guy said it wasn't too bad and someone had probably done it somewhat recently. :negative:

Anything I need to know about sprinklers before turning them on in the spring? Do I just get water to them again and hope for the best?

Depends on the municipality I'd think. In my area you have to have them backflow tested and water sample sent to the city or they'll come ream your rear end for not doing it so it's easiest to just pay a company to come do the startup and check all the heads to be sure nothing broke or is leaking from the winter

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So it sounds like I should be ordering appliances now for my planned 2022 fall/winter kitchen remodel then huh.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Absolutely. Appliances are being hit hard by (A) everybody who can afford it remodeling (B) the chip shortage. The chest freezer I also ordered in August, from an American brand, may be here in mid-January.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, my dad's in the appliance business and the state of things right now is such that if you need something six months from now, the time to order was yesterday.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Residency Evil posted:

Now that's service! :wink:

Residency Evil posted:

Some places require permits/licenses/inspections every year before you turn them back on. To make sure the backflow preventer is functioning and now allowing ground water to feed back in to the supply. Whoever just blew your pipe could tell you if you need to call them back in the spring or not.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DaveSauce posted:

Now that's service! :wink:

If only. :negative:

quote:

Some places require permits/licenses/inspections every year before you turn them back on. To make sure the backflow preventer is functioning and now allowing ground water to feed back in to the supply. Whoever just blew your pipe could tell you if you need to call them back in the spring or not.

Gotcha, thanks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Residency Evil posted:

If only. :negative:

Gotcha, thanks.

Denver ain't one of those places.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

StormDrain posted:

Denver ain't one of those places.

:negative:

Thanks!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Also probably why once in a while my tap water tastes like rear end? Nah, that can't be it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Arsenic Lupin posted:

For God's sake, whatever you do, don't throw a house party and get snowed in.

And if you do, don't invite that rich uncle everybody hates.

And if you do, be very cautious around that sweet little old lady who knits all the time. Or the obnoxious Belgian guy.

I came here to whine about appliances, because 'tis the season. In August, I ordered one of two brands of dishwasher that would fit under our low cast-marble countertop. We are absolutely talking about hundreds of dollars to change the 1950s (guessing) cabinetry and raise it to American standard heights. So we special-ordered the Bosch ADA-compliant model, which happens to fit the space. The latest update is that Bosch is halving their production right now, and they are making no promises about anything arriving at any time ever. I am uncomfortably aware that if you're able to produce only part of your product line, you are going to make the stuff you sell at highest volume and for the highest prices. Setting up a line, fabbing parts, and using up precious chips for the weirdo tiny ADA dishwasher you sell a hundred of a year is going to be a low priority.

Wah.

Pretend I posted the fragmaster? Dishwasher review.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Today I learned that if you have a Homelink garage door opener in your car, LED lightbulbs in your garage door opener will interfere with it working.

:psyduck:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I use the Wi-Fi myQ one since getting homelink to work was a pain and I have a bunch of older cars that don’t have any electronics beyond lights and ignition. Just open and close the door from my phone.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Residency Evil posted:

Today I learned that if you have a Homelink garage door opener in your car, LED lightbulbs in your garage door opener will interfere with it working.

Yikes I’m really really sorry. Thoughts and prayers that you can make it through.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Upgrade posted:

Yikes I’m really really sorry. Thoughts and prayers that you can make it through.

This got an lol out of me given the context.

MyQ is the way, parents recently got it and it’s great to not mess with homelink ever again. And you can open it juuust a little farther to save you any seconds of waiting in case it was out of range before.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

Those are lovely bulbs then. HomeLink openers are usually in lovely spots on your car + have low transmit power, but is the antenna actually hanging down properly from your opener?

Or god’s true light source, incandescent and their mere 60 Hz flicker.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

movax posted:

Those are lovely bulbs then. HomeLink openers are usually in lovely spots on your car + have low transmit power, but is the antenna actually hanging down properly from your opener?

It is pretty common. So common that they actually make garage-door-opener-rated LED light bulbs. They are, of course, more expensive.

The FCC must have been beat up by the EPA or Dept. of Energy or some other 3-letter agency, because they're really asleep at the wheel letting such crap spew interference everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

B-Nasty posted:

It is pretty common. So common that they actually make garage-door-opener-rated LED light bulbs. They are, of course, more expensive.

The FCC must have been beat up by the EPA or Dept. of Energy or some other 3-letter agency, because they're really asleep at the wheel letting such crap spew interference everywhere.

Yeah I was surprised too. I started googling when my homelink wasn't working and found that it's incredibly common. Lightbulbs are not even on my radar of things to worry about.

Upgrade posted:

Thank you, I'm in a better place now.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 22, 2021