Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Trazz posted:

That's just Marjorie Taylor Greene btw

I choose to believe 100% in this theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I can't imagine watching Jayapal get nationally humiliated by Joe Manchin with nothing to show for it and thinking "this is someone who really knows what she's doing"

She's a total joke

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

re: Student loans possibly being paused again.

I'm not petulant enough to stop voting D over anything but this ride has been especially embarrassing and personally impactful. A few days ago I finally internalized the consistently messaged reality that they're turning back on the payments (the priority of which is eternally baffling to me), so I dropped about 9K of savings into my 2 highest-interest 6%+ loan groups to knock down some of my liability.

Now of course Biden's going to randomly vacillate from a politically lethal decision and I took a nearly 5-figure hit in my savings for the crime of believing a message he's been sticking to since August.

Again, I'm not Trump 2024 about it but god drat this was handled so loving awfully and it's going to leave so many people pissed.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It is my honest opinion that the double hit of ending the monthly distribution of the CTC combined with resuming student loans is going to cause a recession.

I'll be losing two kids worth and resuming that same amount in loans. It's pretty lovely and I am honestly not sure how I'm going to swing it. I'm sure there's many more worse off than me than better off. The double punch is going to be a KO for many.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Scags, that's an interesting (and sad) point I hadn't thought of. I mean, I broadly understand that clear and early communication is important, but that's a real bummer of an application.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Scags, that's an interesting (and sad) point I hadn't thought of. I mean, I broadly understand that clear and early communication is important, but that's a real bummer of an application.

Thanks, I'll personally be fine though. The real worry for me is that a lot of people are going to remember this really unnecessary dumpster fire and be less forgiving than me. The spectrum of reactions to Biden / Dems is going to scale from intense apathy to outright electoral retaliation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Scags McDouglas posted:

I'm not petulant enough to stop voting D over anything but this ride has been especially embarrassing and personally impactful. A few days ago I finally internalized the consistently messaged reality that they're turning back on the payments (the priority of which is eternally baffling to me), so I dropped about 9K of savings into my 2 highest-interest 6%+ loan groups to knock down some of my liability.

Now of course Biden's going to randomly vacillate from a politically lethal decision and I took a nearly 5-figure hit in my savings for the crime of believing a message he's been sticking to since August.

Again, I'm not Trump 2024 about it but god drat this was handled so loving awfully and it's going to leave so many people pissed.

If you had 9k sitting in cash savings, then knocking down 9k of 6+% interest loans is definitely the optimal financial move anyway. No savings account is going to give you a guaranteed 7% compounding interest return.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Scags McDouglas posted:

Dude same loving thing for me. It was so bad and stressful that my partner told me I just need to rebuild my bank account and make min payments until we get through this. Like we can't get married because of what my debt load will do to her.

I was planning on taking a Locums position, privatizing them all for a better rate, then just murdering myself for a year to pay them off in some poo poo hole.

Now what do I do?

it's still taking the locums position

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you had 9k sitting in cash savings, then knocking down 9k of 6+% interest loans is definitely the optimal financial move anyway. No savings account is going to give you a guaranteed 7% compounding interest return.

That would be accurate if the payments were paused but not the interest. The interest has been 0% for everyone since Covid. So obviously I would've rather had an interest-bearing nest egg and not... nothing.

FizFashizzle posted:

Dude same loving thing for me.

... Like we can't get married because of what my debt load will do to her.

:respek:

My financial plans are a pick-two triangle of [1] Ring for fiancee [2] Wedding above 200 bucks [3] Hit my student loans

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Praxis Prion posted:

Outing yourself as very much not a healthcare worker. I've been an ICU nurse for 10 years and have witnessed unimaginable amounts of death over the past 2 years from covid. This story is absolutely credible. I regularly field phone calls/requests from people demanding high dose IV vitamin C, HCQ, Ivermectin, etc. These people are stupid, angry, and aggressive in person -- and numerous. Stories similar to this occur on a regular basis, and that's just from my own personal experience. It's not unheard of for healthcare workers to be assaulted by family members in this environment.

yeah but why post about it on reddit lmao; you have a society where people see themselves as individuals rather than citizens what else do you expect lol. reap what you sow

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 22, 2021

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Scags McDouglas posted:

My financial plans are a pick-two triangle of [1] Ring for fiancee [2] Wedding above 200 bucks [3] Hit my student loans

Not to play Aesop's Fox here, but it's worth it to have a serious conversation with your partner about marriage and what they expect vis a vis rings and weddings. If paying for a ring or a big ceremony is what's holding you back, remember you can always go and fill those in later.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

the_steve posted:

GJB is Biden, pass it on.

I liked it better when he was Michael Cohen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

nine-gear crow posted:

I liked it better when he was Michael Cohen.

hush you, we're trying to throw them off the scent

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Morrow posted:

Not to play Aesop's Fox here, but it's worth it to have a serious conversation with your partner about marriage and what they expect vis a vis rings and weddings. If paying for a ring or a big ceremony is what's holding you back, remember you can always go and fill those in later.

Real talk. If it makes you feel better I am 15 years married and we have never had a honeymoon, married justice of the peace, and I think our wedding was like 1200. It really is just a big party. After it is all done nothing really feels different if you are already living together.

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009
What is the endgame for Joe Manchin? gently caress you, buy West Virginian? Genuine confusion here. Please help.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

syntaxrigger posted:

Real talk. If it makes you feel better I am 15 years married and we have never had a honeymoon, married justice of the peace, and I think our wedding was like 1200. It really is just a big party. After it is all done nothing really feels different if you are already living together.

This is how we did it as well, and I am just so thankful for it. Don't do big weddings people. They suck. Honeymoons are good if you can afford them. We were hoping to do something for 10 years, but our savings is exactly the same now as it was then.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Perry the Platypus posted:

What is the endgame for Joe Manchin? gently caress you, buy West Virginian? Genuine confusion here. Please help.

Wasn't the rumor earlier this year that he was gunning for Governor?

Between the obvious corruption and bribery he's receiving for being an utter piece of poo poo, he's probably racking up points with the demographic most likely to get him the governorship.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

hush you, we're trying to throw them off the scent

Your avatar protests otherwise.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Perry the Platypus posted:

Maintain power. Keep his family and friends wealthy. He doesn’t want other people climbing up the socioeconomic ladder.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Your avatar protests otherwise.

??? Idgi he's clearly complaining about Ea-nasir's substandard copper

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

:chloe:

This is kind of a bloodless, albeit expected, response from someone who has declared he's privileged enough himself to have continued paying student loans during the moratorium.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

:chloe:

This is kind of a bloodless, albeit expected, response from someone who has declared he's privileged enough himself to have continued paying student loans during the moratorium.

Having 5 figures in cash savings to drop on a whim is better off than 80% of Americans (including myself) and 0% is a lot less than 6%. If you think either of those aren't true, then let me know. More than 60% of people were still paying their loans during the moratorium. You gotta find something else to get pretend mad about online.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Donald Trump has done more to rein in the power of the MIC and US intelligence agencies than any other President in history

https://twitter.com/hdagres/status/1473337216093020169

quote:

On the morning of Aug. 30, 2019, then-President Donald Trump was receiving his daily intelligence briefing with a a select group of senior national security officials, including CIA Director Gina Haspel, national security adviser John Bolton and other top aides.

U.S. officials at the meeting were delighted. The previous day, Iran had attempted to launch a satellite into space, but the launch had failed spectacularly, with the rocket exploding on the pad.

Included in that morning’s briefing materials was a classified image, taken by satellite, of the botched rocket launch, showing extensive damage to the site.

The president was taken by the image. “Trump thought this was very neat, and asked if he could keep it,” said a former Trump administration official. “And after some hesitation, the intelligence briefer said, 'Yes.'"

Officials had been nervous about leaving the image with the president, according to the former official, who attended the meeting. “Gina [and other intelligence officials] may have said something like, ‘Well, don’t do anything with it, don’t show it to anybody.’ But I think he just blew them off. He said, ‘I just want to look at the picture.’”

About an hour later, Trump tweeted the picture.

the man tweet a "top secret codeword" picture, doing "billions" in damage to the agency responsible for spy satellites

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1473462641507119108

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1473463213215920128

if this is actually legit and not just breathless regurgitation of a press release:

holy gently caress

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

More than 60% of people were still paying their loans during the moratorium.

You said this before, and I asked for sources, and I'm not sure we ever got them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
It's technically true that I have a very small private loan so I've been paying 50 bucks a month on that while I'm not paying any of the $300 or so dollars a month of my income based repayment. Probably something like that.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Good news:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1473402060066496516

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Having 5 figures in cash savings to drop on a whim is better off than 80% of Americans (including myself) and 0% is a lot less than 6%. If you think either of those aren't true, then let me know. More than 60% of people were still paying their loans during the moratorium. You gotta find something else to get pretend mad about online.

I don't think lecturing people that paying student loans is cool and popular because 0 is less than 6 is going to be a winning message in 2022. But then, I'm no politics expert.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Sharkie posted:

I don't think lecturing people that paying student loans is cool and popular because 0 is less than 6 is going to be a winning message in 2022. But then, I'm no politics expert.

He didn't say that. He was just responding to Willa's choice to get mad when what he posted is completely accurate.

If you were fortunate to pay them during the moratorium, it was the smart choice as interest was also paused.

Making a lump sum payment is probably a privileged act, but it doesn't make it the wrong thing to do from a financial standing.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1473489649800728581

It looks like Schumer is going to get some votes on record.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 22, 2021

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I can't imagine watching Jayapal get nationally humiliated by Joe Manchin with nothing to show for it and thinking "this is someone who really knows what she's doing"

She's a total joke

You're right, the important thing isn't actually trying to achieve something, it's how much cred you maintain.

Because Twitter is real life for successful people.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

He didn't say that. He was just responding to Willa's choice to get mad when what he posted is completely accurate.

If you were fortunate to pay them during the moratorium, it was the smart choice as interest was also paused.

Making a lump sum payment is probably a privileged act, but it doesn't make it the wrong thing to do from a financial standing.

I didn't say that. I was just responding to Leon's choice to say that 60% of people paid their student loans during the moratorium.

And his choice to literally explain to someone that 0 is less than 6.

Xombie posted:

You're right, the important thing isn't actually trying to achieve something

To be fair, the important thing is not in fact trying to do something. It's doing something. Yoda explained this.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 22, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SourKraut posted:

You said this before, and I asked for sources, and I'm not sure we ever got them.

You did. I can do the work for you again, if you want.

It was ~55% overall and 64% of men who never missed a payment during the forbearance.

quote:

Gender played a consistent role in determining one’s ability to pay off student loans over the past year and a half (i.e., during the period of student loan forbearance). More than half of females (55%) stopped making loan payments during this time, versus 36% of males who stopped.

That wasn't dramatically different from pre-moratorium, either:

quote:

Males and females reported different ability to paying off their student loan debt. When asked how respondents approached paying their student loans prior to the forbearance in March 2020, 70% of males made at least their required minimum monthly loan payments, while only half (54%) of females said the same.

The DOE shows similar rates, but they didn't specifically breakdown 2020 into pre-moratorium vs. post-moratorium.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ger-Forbearance

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Totally agree on all points, except that I was mad. I'm just gonna point out the politically strategic bloodlessness when I see it.

(Cranky is different from mad; "mad" intimates a sudden or intermittent instance, whereas my crankiness is continuous & everlasting.)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Neurolimal posted:

Makes sense that she'd push for this against all odds; besides Biden, Jayapal looks like the biggest rube in all this for going along with the decoupled plan. The CPC already has a reputation for being easily bullied, and Manchin's not helping with that.

I only hope she doesnt do something embarassing like introduce a further stripped-down BBB, cajole the caucus into voting for it, and still watch Manchin kill it.

the_steve posted:

"Dear Lucy, please tell me what it would take for you to not pull the football away this time. I am a loving idiot and will believe you."

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

She's a total joke

It's really amazing to me how much you folks are always ready and willing to poo poo all over anyone who is trying to do the hard work of actually passing the legislation you claim you want passed. She's doing way more than you folks ever will, but somehow it's still not enough.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Totally agree on all points, except that I was mad. I'm just gonna point out the politically strategic bloodlessness when I see it.

(Cranky is different from mad; "mad" intimates a sudden or intermittent instance, whereas my crankiness is continuous & everlasting.)

I'll use cranky then because you're right it's a better fit. I get crankier every year :corsair:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760?t=TJelhIDgP1jbPeDIXcJRCA&s=19

Was interest continuing to accrue too? I thought that was also suspended. If so, setting aside the money would be smarter. Then you could pay a lump sum if the morotorium ended, or keep the money if the debt was actually forgiven per the campaign promises.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

What are you mad about if you totally agree on all points?

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Was interest continuing to accrue too? I thought that was also suspended. If so, setting aside the money would be smarter. Then you could pay a lump sum if the morotorium ended, or keep the money if the debt was actually forgiven per the campaign promises.

It is. But, if you are keeping large cash savings, then the best interest rate you are getting on a savings account is 0.5%. The stock market averages about 7% long-term.

If you have compounding interest loans greater than 6%, then it will be financially optimal to pay them down. You are right that it is technically slightly more efficient to wait until the very last second to do so, though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

It's really amazing to me how much you folks are always ready and willing to poo poo all over anyone who is trying to do the hard work of actually passing the legislation you claim you want passed. She's doing way more than you folks ever will, but somehow it's still not enough.

someone with a reputation for being on the losing side of negotiations is ill-suited to being the leader of a faction. Why should the members of her faction believe she won't roll over next time, and why should the people she's negotiating with believe they will face consequences for ignoring her demands?

i like jayapals ideals, and i trust her intent when it comes to proposing legislation, but she's proven herself a liability as a leader.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Scags McDouglas posted:

Agreed, emphatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, tell us more about how Joe "I literally admitted to stringing the Dems along all goddamn year forcing them to kiss my rear end and neuter a bill that I was never ever going to vote for" Manchin is a good faith actor who will totes come around this time for real.

Go on, tell us they can fix him.