Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Andy Pandy posted:

I'm also quite skeptical about the existence of dyson spheres and other such technological megastructures out there. My bet is that truly advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature - and we might not even recognise it if we were staring right at it.

Yeah, there would be debate about what's causing it and a bunch of theories would be put forward and there would be a lot of doubt and confusion about what we're even looking at.

Oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Let's try it this way:

Our one and only assumption will be that the tabby's situation is, in fact, the result of ET activity.

If that's our starting point, it means we have two data points for intelligent life in the universe. One of those entities is currently constructing Dyson swarms across a large volume of space. The other is currently going extinct because of an inability to solve or prevent simple problems through cooperation. The latter also really fucken loves empires built on slavery and domination. I posit that slavery and domination are a dead end and that any entity capable of doing what we're seeing around tabby's will already know this and wouldn't concern itself with monkey brain paranoia about interstellar super predators or whatever.

OTOH there's nothing physically stopping humanity as is (or even back during the space race) from expanding out into the solar system right now without any change to our current political/economic systems.

All it would have taken is some Sea Dragon heavy lift rockets to cheaply launch a first-wave industrial base into orbit and suddenly capitalism has access to a whole new frontier of cheap resources (and lol as if that would have been shared with the developing world).

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Andy Pandy posted:

I'm partial to the idea that any sufficiently advanced civilisation will never even leave their home planet. If they are in equilibrium with their environment, and if they are at peace with their place in the universe, it may not even occur to them.

I'm also quite skeptical about the existence of dyson spheres and other such technological megastructures out there. My bet is that truly advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature - and we might not even recognise it if we were staring right at it.
:hmmyes: always knew the trees were up to something

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

what if the universe is alive

our solar system is the equivalent of an atom

UFOs are how we perceive it when the universe (some dude named "trumo") scratches its balls

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Andy Pandy posted:

My bet is that truly advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature - and we might not even recognise it if we were staring right at it.

:hmmyes:

Bok globules are alien space whale cum. Seeding the universe with new creation

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

yesss

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

God bless the crab thread

valp
Aug 31, 2018

I can see normal people taking the dark forest theory seriously, but anyone who has spent any amount of time reading about UFOs should understand by now that they're already here. And once you believe that they're already here, then the question becomes when did they first get here?

I'm a fan of the idea that various Sanskrit epics like the Mahabharata are descriptions of things that actually happened. Basically long ago aliens came to Earth and played the God Game, flying around in their UFOs (called vimana's), loving the locals, and starting wars fought with missiles and nukes (look up astras and the Brahmastra astra). The things we do when we play video games like the civilization series, the aliens did in the real world. Eventually some more benevolent aliens got tired of this poo poo, kicked everyone off-planet, and quarantined Earth so that things could develop somewhat naturally.

Supposedly they've found ancient cities in India that look like they were nuked, as well as deserts full of glass that is normally only produced by nuclear explosions. Haven't really read up much on this so I can't say how conclusive the evidence is.

Imagine the outcry if we found proof that Earth is a game-board, all humanity are pawns, and bored, decadent, immortal aliens are pissed because they were told they can't play with their toys anymore?

"Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun."

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Yee-claw!

Conspiracy theory: The anti-nuke movements of the 70's and 80's were ops by aitees to keep humanity on earth, and only capable of nuking ourselves.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Rah! posted:

our solar system is the equivalent of an atom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

toggle has issued a correction as of 23:33 on Dec 21, 2021

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Slavvy posted:

Let's try it this way:

Our one and only assumption will be that the tabby's situation is, in fact, the result of ET activity.

If that's our starting point, it means we have two data points for intelligent life in the universe. One of those entities is currently constructing Dyson swarms across a large volume of space. The other is currently going extinct because of an inability to solve or prevent simple problems through cooperation. The latter also really fucken loves empires built on slavery and domination. I posit that slavery and domination are a dead end and that any entity capable of doing what we're seeing around tabby's will already know this and wouldn't concern itself with monkey brain paranoia about interstellar super predators or whatever.

Wouldn't the case be that 1200-1400 years (or however many LY away that is) ago they were doing that stuff? So if they advanced from that to FTL at any time since they could conceivably already be here.

Also not all Trek aliens are humanoids and just people in makeup. There's weird bugs and sentient minerals and all sortsa poo poo, we just generally don't interact with them much because we don't live in compatible environments and we are as uninterested in their radioactive rocks as they are uninterested in anything we make.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Watermelon posted:

Dark Forest theory probably true but only because an alien race will detect us and put us down like we do with rabid animals in the forest

it's 100% this

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
things are getting spicy

https://twitter.com/patrick41016682/status/1473297200067264522

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Oh man, radar's gonna be so disappointed by that Patrick guy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Reading this in Patrick's voice really adds to it

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Hyped for first contact :woop:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Reading this in Patrick's voice really adds to it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hearing that there will be some very interesting first contact news in about 2 weeks, the next two weeks

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

first contact of Jrooti on this dilz

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

jrooti lied, hybrids died

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

Oh man, radar's gonna be so disappointed by that Patrick guy.

radar is running an op

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

patrick is radar

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

radar is patrick

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rah! posted:

jrooti lied, hybrids died

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’m jrooti contact has begun; but since you doubt sim pushing it back by one year

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
much like valve and their tf2 property, the pnutty ofc efforts have devolved to collecting hats

THANKS RADAR

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/SandiaWisdom/status/1473448360749187074?s=20

Pics or OFC didn't happen

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

All those goddamned postcards I sent and this is how I find out we're not friends :mad:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

that's a picture of jrooti reading my posts :3:

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

goochtit posted:

All those goddamned postcards I sent and this is how I find out we're not friends :mad:

No kidding
All that time projecting gratitude was apparently bullshit to these jokers

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

where the gently caress are the peanuts

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ross showed up on another podcast for those who care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KscY0219sDw&t=16020s

quote:

One of the things that I’ve been copping recently is a lot of anger from people on social media saying “Why aren’t you working harder to expose this? Why aren’t you breaking more stories?” I feel an intense sense of frustration with that kind of expectation, because we’re only ever as good as our sources.

Most of my sources have become scared witless since I published my book, because one name I do mention in my book is Nat Kobitz, who is now dead. He was the former R&D guy for the US Navy, basically like their chief geek. He very kindly put me onto a lot of people who he knew in science, especially who he was aware of were involved in what was euphemistically referred to as “The Program.”

There has been, in recent months, especially since my book was published, a really intensive effort to shut people up. Shut people down. People who were engaging with me a year ago are now absolutely terrified every time I try and call them. It’s a real problem, and that’s why I have great hope that what’s going to come now as a result of the Gillibrand amendment is some kind of sanctioned release of information.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

well when OFC doesn't happen and the peanutties decide to keep themselves revealed I just want you all to know that I'll still be posting here with you

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Imagine, cities so vast you cannot see one end from the other, full of great towers tall enough to scrape the heavens and which gleam brighter in the light of day than any river or lake, in which multitudes of people dwell together, more than have lived in any nation that has ever existed! And at night, these cities blaze with light, their people's clever inventions shining against the dark as bright as the sun itself! Truly, such peoples must be wise beyond our reckoning, no longer given over to the baser instincts of man, to war, to fight, to exploit their fellows.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wheeee posted:

Imagine, cities so vast you cannot see one end from the other, full of great towers tall enough to scrape the heavens and which gleam brighter in the light of day than any river or lake, in which multitudes of people dwell together, more than have lived in any nation that has ever existed! And at night, these cities blaze with light, their people's clever inventions shining against the dark as bright as the sun itself! Truly, such peoples must be wise beyond our reckoning, no longer given over to the baser instincts of man, to war, to fight, to exploit their fellows.

Sounded like Manhattan until you said that "baser instincts" think

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Bilirubin posted:

Sounded like Manhattan until you said that "baser instincts" think

yea

i'm not exactly a believer in the 'dark forest' thing since it's predicated on a few assumptions about the nature of reality that we can't currently answer, but the objections to it posted here are mostly unfounded ideological projections posted with a ludicrous air of certainty

the best argument against the dark forest posted here is that it appears we may already have visitors who are more interested in observing and loving with us than annihilating us

and on the topic of diversity of ideological views, how you finding TBP?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wheeee posted:

yea

i'm not exactly a believer in the 'dark forest' thing since it's predicated on a few assumptions about the nature of reality that we can't currently answer, but the objections to it posted here are mostly unfounded ideological projections posted with a ludicrous air of certainty

the best argument against the dark forest posted here is that it appears we may already have visitors who are more interested in observing and loving with us than annihilating us

and on the topic of diversity of ideological views, how you finding TBP?

Inhaled it, and loved it. The Trisolarans concern about the speed of technological advance on Earth was a really nice touch. I'm definitely going to read the rest of the trilogy

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Wheeee posted:

or are they harvesting all this anger and desperation they are indirectly inciting our species to create 24/7?

i like the dark forest as useful kind of framework to think in, its one humanity knows extremely well, indeed its in our DNA and hardwired danger instincts and very deep involuntary thought modes happen to us when exploring those sorts of places.

and it also holds in my mind the duality of a proper mysterious fairy tale forest

on the one hand there are many dangers, some mundane like oxygen supply, ship maintenance, crew not going stir crazy etc and certainly some unknown ones too

on the other hand it holds answers to questions we havent yet formulated, vast incredible riches and literally an infinities worth of adventure to be had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004
I lurk the hell out of this thread, but I have my own thoughts about the dark forest stuff. I think it's overly simplistic and ignores the possibility that a civilization capable of interstellar travel could have ethical reasons to avoid sterilizing any world that harbors intelligent life. Maybe the UAPs we see now are the work of the first guys to become interstellar? Maybe they're autonomous, unmanned observers that monitor worlds with complex life.

An old enough civilization could have probes in every solar system in the galaxy, witnessing every possible stage in the evolution of life. They could also be watching for specific technological developments that would lead to another species becoming a threat. Since we don't have the faintest idea how the UAPs do the things they do, I don't think we're anywhere near a technological level that would flag us as dangerous. If we were, I don't think they'd have any trouble keeping us from getting off Earth's surface in any meaningful way, so they get to protect themselves without commiting genocide.