Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ojetor posted:

Why the hell is this some arcane chat command instead of an actual setting in the settings screen?

Dev resources are limited and UI work takes longer to implement than a chat command. Part of the latter is finding the best place to put it, which comes after making the determination that a) it's worth the real estate, b) it'll be easy to discover, and c) the benefit is worth the maintenance cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Thundarr posted:

I guess I didn't notice that. Savage probably won't offer that tell though!

It probably won't have a marker at all, and rely on you reading the name of the spell to determine the direction.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I only did P1 today since I get anxious in duties and wanted to pace myself, but that was about the smoothest possible experience, to the point of being anticlimactic. I think we only had one death through the whole thing? And it wasn't me! I probably should have just gone ahead and done P2 at that point, but there's obviously still plenty of week left. Anyway, despite playing since ARR I've never done 8 man raid content during the patch it came out before, let alone on launch day, so I'm pretty happy about getting in there for the start.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Be careful: all the more enthusiastic players tend to do it earlier in the week, so the longer you wait the more trouble you'll have.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

With the caveat that if you wait long enough everyone will have already done it and you'll get people rouletting into it

And then if you wait even longer the people in the roulette will have done it so long ago they won't remember how anymore

In short, normal raids are a land of contrasts

RME
Feb 20, 2012

first day is, maybe unintuitively, the best day to do content like this. no one knows poo poo and theres a lot less expectation in general. Hell, ACT often requires going out of your way to update so a lot of people might never even know how youre doing really

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
P1 is a complete joke of a fight, but the latter will be more interesting. People will be more experienced though, so it's a tradeoff.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Man, I'm not even done the MSQ. I only get a short amount of time when I can actually log in. Any time after work is done, it's a 3-hour queue and gently caress that.

It's my own fault for stubbornly committing to doing all of the sidequests as they pop up after every MSQ beat. And for trying to get glams to drop at a rate of 1 new item per dungeon run because every chest is full of the things I'm not.

Oh well. I'll get there when I get there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sadly I am out of town away from my PC so I will have to wait to do the new raids and can't join the first day rush :negative: but they do sound really fun

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
So what's the best way to do The Battle of Castrum Lacus Litore these days? It's not exactly current content, so I imagine trying to just do it with randos is out.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm four ilvls below the requirement for the raid :negative:

I guess I should've kept up with daily expert roulettes instead of focusing on leveling reaper... but on the plus side, I hit 90 today, and now I look like a Kingdom Hearts character:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hm, maybe I'll try to do P2 if I can get back in tonight since the point you all made about doing them while people still have loot incentive to get through them makes sense to me. But if that doesn't work out, hopefully I'll catch the trial roulette people later in the week. Or I can always wait for videos and try again next week if I eat poo poo too badly.

Begemot posted:

It's boring, especially with the congestion between instances, but if you catch a hunt train you can knock out some right side pieces pretty quickly.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the change to SAM so enpi (your ranged move) no longer breaks combos is so satisfying. i'm sure backstep-enpi-dash is some kind of potency loss compared to other options but it's such a fun little sequence for dodging pbaoe.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Meanwhile Eyes of the Creator is still complete and absolute hell every single time, 5 years after release.

(Why yes I did just get that one today. Mercifully only one wipe.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

So what's the best way to do The Battle of Castrum Lacus Litore these days?

There might be Discord servers you can poke your head into, but CLL and DL are dead in the water right now. Bozja/Zadnor FATE EXP is simply too good compared to the time and potential failure you put into either of the major assaults, so everyone flat out ignores them unless they're one of the rare few trying to progress the quest line. I suspect boosting rewards will be a part of 6.05 if clear rates haven't returned to normal by January.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Begemot posted:

I guess I should've kept up with daily expert roulettes instead of focusing on leveling reaper... but on the plus side, I hit 90 today, and now I look like a Kingdom Hearts character:

That was my situation this morning, but since the level 90 dungeons give 80 tomestones just for doing them, it's not THAT bad to grind up. Did a couple of those and relevant roulettes and was able to get to 565 and do the raids.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vermain posted:

There might be Discord servers you can poke your head into, but CLL and DL are dead in the water right now. Bozja/Zadnor FATE EXP is simply too good compared to the time and potential failure you put into either of the major assaults, so everyone flat out ignores them unless they're one of the rare few trying to progress the quest line. I suspect boosting rewards will be a part of 6.05 if clear rates haven't returned to normal by January.

Yeah, that's basically what I was afraid of. What a shame.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

HackensackBackpack posted:

Man, I'm not even done the MSQ. I only get a short amount of time when I can actually log in. Any time after work is done, it's a 3-hour queue and gently caress that.

It's my own fault for stubbornly committing to doing all of the sidequests as they pop up after every MSQ beat. And for trying to get glams to drop at a rate of 1 new item per dungeon run because every chest is full of the things I'm not.

Oh well. I'll get there when I get there.

My progression through the story has slammed to a halt as I level other jobs up to do the role quests.

I've kind of settled on this:

Tank: Warrior.
Melee: Ninja.
Ranged Physical: Probably Machinist. Unsure how much they changed Bard.
Ranged Magical: ??? Summoner looks really cool, but so does Black Mage.
Healer: Sage.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Also to add onto my earlier point theyve outright stated that they make the first tier slightly easier since and including deltascape in stormblood. This is primarily talking about savages but it bleeds into the normals too

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

OhFunny posted:

My progression through the story has slammed to a halt as I level other jobs up to do the role quests.

I've kind of settled on this:

Tank: Warrior.
Melee: Ninja.
Ranged Physical: Probably Machinist. Unsure how much they changed Bard.
Ranged Magical: ??? Summoner looks really cool, but so does Black Mage.
Healer: Sage.

I haven't checked out Sage yet but every time I get one as my healer in a dungeon it looks pretty cool. Right now, I'm probably going to do GNB, RPR, MCH, and RDM for the other roles eventually. Those are the jobs I liked the best in ShB (minus Reaper but I never really liked any melee before that much) but I barely did any healing. I leveled WHM to 80 with pixies and trusts just to have something to do the healer line with.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It is annoyingly difficult to get qualified for the new raid if you have level 90 pieces for every single slot except the second ring, because once you fill the first slot, your only options are to clear the first extreme trial and get that ring, or hope that the RNG decides to grace you with the EXDR ring for your spec, which it will never, ever, do.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rand Brittain posted:

It is annoyingly difficult to get qualified for the new raid if you have level 90 pieces for every single slot except the second ring, because once you fill the first slot, your only options are to clear the first extreme trial and get that ring, or hope that the RNG decides to grace you with the EXDR ring for your spec, which it will never, ever, do.

You can also buy Aphorism left side.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
On the note of bozja exp I dunno if anyone's looked into the new dungeon numbers yet but I did the third EW dungeon (lvl85) just now at level 86. Gave ~4.7mill (I need 9,231,000 to level) and took about a half hour including queue as dps. Probably comparable now and definitely more engaging.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

this is a personal attack

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got the minion and it can't perch on your shoulder. What the gently caress I'm so mad.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Meanwhile Eyes of the Creator is still complete and absolute hell every single time, 5 years after release.

Is that the one with melting metal stuff? Got that one yesterday, and I know it wasn't your group since it was a lot more than one wipe.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Is that the one with melting metal stuff? Got that one yesterday, and I know it wasn't your group since it was a lot more than one wipe.

That's the one. I feel you.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OddObserver posted:

God, yes. It's always two or three wipes for that one, I don't know what it is about it. The mechanics are just unintuitive enough, I guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know there's some stuff in that fight that ideally gets a tankswap and in reality relies on your healers noticing the damage goes up because the other tank won't do nothing. It's not an instant wipe, but things get harder as the fight goes on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It also requires the random rear end in a top hat who happens to manage to get the mobs tethered to them when they activate to have any clue what they need to do with them.

And it needs everyone to be on point when faust comes down, both for positioning and getting the damage in.

Basically there's so many moving pieces and everyone in the raid can potentially affect them so if everyone, or at least a critical mass of everyone, isn't on point it can just go to hell without the usual methods of recovery via revives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Regy Rusty posted:

It also requires the random rear end in a top hat who happens to manage to get the mobs tethered to them when they activate to have any clue what they need to do with them.

And it needs everyone to be on point when faust comes down, both for positioning and getting the damage in.

Basically there's so many moving pieces and everyone in the raid can potentially affect them so if everyone, or at least a critical mass of everyone, isn't on point it can just go to hell without the usual methods of recovery via revives.

Oh for "melting metal stuff" I thought Pepsiman. Yeah, that one requires saying "there are party wipe mechanics here, does anyone need an explanation" and hope they're willing to speak up.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

so! finally got AST to 90 today and have finished all of the role quests. time to rank them!! wow!!! spoilers!!!!!!

5. Caster - I had high hopes for the Ishgard quests so I did this one first alongside Tank. However this one was just... weird. The person who first turned was.... a clone? Partially summoned out of the blade of Ascalon? This poo poo barely made any sense. I'm glad the church is getting some work done finally on updating their doctrine and maybe actually doing some good, but this one just game off as generally "meh".

4. Tank - Gridania I expected to be the most boring, and it almost was! I was pleasantly surprised to get a little bit of Kan-E-Senna background, which was nice, and the overall feeling of dread caused by this horrible death disease was pretty impactful. Nothing to really write home about otherwise.

3. Melee - Limsa is my favorite city and my home city and I love Merlwyb. And I was happy to see the Company of Heroes again! Brayflox is there! Those guys are great. Props for getting another beast tribe on our side, Merlwyb. You're doing great.

2. Healer - This one was surprisingly good, featuring plenty of Arenvald and Fordola (and not a hint of Lyse!) and helping Ala Mhigo come to terms with its history. Some really good stuff. I think this one had the most fun solo duty at the end, too. Raubahn had his own custom graphic for whatever the paladin wings spell is called! Totally sick.

1. Ranged - God drat. This one was amazing. Not only do you get Yugiri getting to see her parents again, Hien coming to terms with his mistake of showing Yotsuyu mercy, and dealing with all of the awful consequences of that, but MOTHER. loving. GOSETSU. I was so goddamn happy to see him again. And he's a HEALER now?! Holy crap. Him swooping in to save the day with his fancy magic still makes me grin ear to ear just thinking about it. What a great character. 10 out of 10. I hope we see him again soon.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Healer Personally I thought that it could use more Lyse, but the Fordola, Raubahn and Arenvald squad is also cool and good.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Man I really want to click these spoilers but I've only just started my first role chain (healer) tonight. I've been slacking on them, leveling crafters and such instead.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

regretting msqing DRK to 90. Have been grinding pld and war and have them both past 80 now and prefer their rotations and kits so much more, at least in 4 and 8 mans. Missing out on the raids, arghh

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Never mind, misread the post.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Regy Rusty posted:

I got Dun Scaith twice in a row for roulette this week :shepface:

Deathgaze still scores like 20+ kills per fight

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ojetor posted:

I got Dun Scaith twice in a row for roulette this week :shepface:

Deathgaze still scores like 20+ kills per fight

I dunno, I haven't had a Dun Scaith that actually wipes to Deathgaze in forever. You usually have enough people who know the fight that you can limp through that one, and then the rest of the fights are easy.

It's always fun watching half the raid go flying off the edge when he does the ice pillar attack though :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The real pro strat is to not bother studying up ahead of time (or remembering) and just stay with whatever the largest mass of players is under the assumption that they know what’s up