Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not a trashfire, but kinda interesting:

Should I (35F) take unexpected inheritance from my biodad?

quote:

Apologizes in advance for any mistakes, English is my second language.

I'm a child of an affair. My mom was single in her late 30s, my bio dad was a married man, they both lived in small town in Eastern Europe. They split before I was born, bio dad didn't visit me but sent money regularly and sometimes, when his wife was out of the town took me home to play with youngest half brother- my other half siblings were over 20 years older than us and sometimes babysat me. I adored the oldest half sister- let's call her Anne.

It was all unofficial- on paper my father was unknown, there was no court involved. When I was around five my mom meet men who become my dad- they married and moved to his side of the country, he adopted me and gave his surname. I forgot about Anne and others and when I recalled them I thought they had to be some twice-removed cousins or something.

And now, after all those years I was called by Anne's lawyer. My bio dad died suddenly and shortly after my mother left, leaving no will. As it is customary in our country his children left house and assets to their mother and divided the estate after her death, over 20 years later. They should everything and divided one half among themselves (after their mom). Anne insisted that I should be included in dividing "Bio dads half" and others- recultantly-agreed.

So I unexpectedly got a nice sum of money. It's not a magnitude of winning lottery but a hefty cushion, a downpayment for home or a middle range car.

I called Anne (she has a business so it was pretty easy) and we had a long talk. Apparently my bio dad wanted to be on my birth certificate but mom's lawyer advised against it- I can't blame them, it was a common thing back then. Anne gave me some photos of us and was patient with my questions. Apparently my parents asked bio dad to stop sending money after they got married, since- you know- I had a father, and they wanted to start anew. Bio dad didn't want to contact me since he wasn't particularly attached- he saw it as his duty and wanted to spite his wife (TBH he was barely better to his bio kids). Anne was young adult busy with her life and at that time thought that everything worked for the best.

Bio dad left no will, but Anne felt that excluding me wasn't right. She advised me to not tell my parents about our talk and frankly didn't want any closer relationship- she had children a bit younger than me and doesn't want to go back.

My husband says that I should take the money and forget about the rest. But I feel that I suddenly grained and lost older sister and I want to throw that money back at her. My husband is also only child so our family is so small that hurts. My children might have cousins, we could make a big holiday celebrations like others.

TL;DR- Older Biositster wants to give me money she feels I should take after my bio dad. She doesn't want any relationship and I'm flooded with feelings of loss.

Long time gaps all throughout. BioSister 20 years older gets a guilt pang 20 years after the fact to hand off unasked for inheritance, but doesn't want a relationship. Not sure what to think here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Always take the fuckin money

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Always take the fuckin money

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
yeah I'm sure anne is going to be totally owned by you giving her $20k, she is definitely not going to be ecstatic that she did what she thought was the right thing and got to keep the money anyhow.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Runcible Cat posted:

More like the mentality of that guy who got his wife's beehives hauled away by some random when she was out of town and when she called the police tried telling them that because they were married everything they owned belonged to both of them.

There's currently a murder trial going on in Australia that started over cops pulling that "not our problem" poo poo.

Some guy got 1000s of dollars of DJ equipment stolen out of his van. He found the culprit and called the cops. The cops naturally said it wasn't their problem, it was a civil matter.

So the DJ and his family go to the thief's place to get their poo poo back and the thief shoots the DJ's father to death.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The relationship is over either way take the money.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean, yes she's technically asking about taking the money, but I think the real issue is the "gaining and losing family" thing. It's not on the level of abuse or the comically fake posts we get, but it's still a rush of stuff to deal with.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking my roommate to spend less time with her husband and more time home?

quote:

So I(21f) moved in with my roommate(27f) at the beginning of the year after I answered her ad on fb. My roommate is married, and originally her husband also lived with her and they were both working on finishing up their masters but covid caused a set back for my roommate so he finished before she did and she had over a year left. He received a good job opportunity so they both decided she would stay and finish while he went a head and started on his career 3 hours away in their hometown.

At first I was very nervous not only to room with someone who was much older, but also married. I was used to rooming with 3 of my closest friends and living in a dorm so having a roommate I got along with is important to me. But we actually hit it off so well and had so many things in common. After about 2 months of living together I considered her my best friend. She is so awesome and smart and I have never gotten along so well with someone so well so quickly.

Even though we were all online last year, she didn't see her husband very often and I could tell she was having a hard time with it, but she also told me that rooming with me reminded her of her early early college days so I think that made it easier on her. We didn't see each other all summer, and this semester we were mostly in person, but ended up going online again early on. I expected it would be like last semester but she actually ended up going home to her husband a lot. She would be gone 2 weeks at a time at most and only come back and stay for maybe a week and I was stuck all alone in our apartment with online classes.

It was really lonely and to be honest felt like it was unfair because I signed on to have a roommate, if I wanted to live by myself I would have gotten an apartment by myself. 2 weeks ago she came home and I mentioned how often she was gone, and she said "well you knew I was married before you even signed on." and yes that's true so I tried to compromise with her and suggested she could at least spend 2 weeks here and 2 weeks with her husband but she got very uncomfortable and refused to continue the conversation. A couple days ago I asked if she had thought about what I said and she said no, and I suggested she could ask her husband for a second opinion and she looked mad and said that she wasn't going to mention what I said to her husband at all because "it would worry him and give him the wrong impression of our relationship(meaning me and roommate)".

I don't understand why she's being so strange about everything, and I'm worried I have really messed things up for us.

Edit: someone messaged me with this question, and I just want to clarify: Yes I am bisexual, I do like women, but I do not see my roommate like that. I just feel very close with her.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my roommate to spend less time with her husband and more time home?

Oh yeah I’m sure she totally doesn’t have feelings for the roommate.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

she spent more years of her life abandoning the living children than parenting the dead one

:tviv:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Some guy got 1000s of dollars of DJ equipment stolen out of his van. He found the culprit and called the cops. The cops naturally said it wasn't their problem, it was a civil matter.

Literally every time I’ve needed the cops they’ve pulled this poo poo.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Bargearse posted:

Honestly 90% of the things I need cops for would be easier if we just made it a notary thing. "Ok, you need an official report of the crime/incident for insurance?" Send a notary, they're cheaper and they are unlikely to shoot the dog.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Honestly 90% of the things I need cops for would be easier if we just made it a notary thing. "Ok, you need an official report of the crime/incident for insurance?" Send a notary, they're cheaper and they are unlikely to shoot the dog.

They also wouldn't act like I'm a criminal myself for calling them. I've spoken to cops twice, once for a stolen car once for a home break-in. Both times they were so terse, interrogative, and abusive in their speech it felt like they were going to arrest me for reporting, which honestly feels within the realm of possibility in retrospect

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
A notary is perfectly capable of laughing at me when I ask if there's a chance they're going to be able to find and somehow return my poo poo, which is as far as I can tell the primary goal of the training of handling this situation.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Like, imagine the Bride's dad died 3 weeks before the wedding. Someone who was absolutely supposed to be there but passed instead. Memorial table is a compromise between "Dad died and you didn't even care" and cancelling the big day which is obviously really bad and likely to make the pain even worse. Have a toast to Bill, who wanted his daughter to be happy.

Yeah I kinda realise nothing will be enough to satisfy psycho mum, but offering a compromise of giving a toast to absent friends & family, where you can mention Brooke along with any other dead family members or friends that would've otherwise been there, might be worth considering. I've been to several weddings where people have given a toast for a dead relative, but I've never seen a big-rear end memorial shrine to someone.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

$10 says husband is an engineer
I dunno, because unless he sounded dead serious or has belittled her in the past it sounds like a pretty extreme reaction on her part. It was a tactless thing to say, and he should have followed up with something how much he values her intelligence and perspective but I really don't think her anger is proportional.

Eta: actually on a reread he doubled down on the comments after she said she was upset that was incredibly stupid of him.

Solenna fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 22, 2021

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

the holy poopacy posted:

well yeah, :agreed:

not saying that the mom isn't psycho, just that under normal circumstances this would be a pretty common and harmless ask. by shoehorning her dead daughter into every life event for her living children she basically managed to cost herself the one time that it's socially acceptable and commonplace to set aside space during a celebration to commemorate lost family members
I have a friend who lost a kid age 4 or so and also had a stillbirth. (He has three other kids). Every holiday they visit the cemetery, every celebration their are places for the dead kids, etc. it does not seem healthy to me but I have not lost any of my kids.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

A notary is perfectly capable of laughing at me when I ask if there's a chance they're going to be able to find and somehow return my poo poo, which is as far as I can tell the primary goal of the training of handling this situation.

yeah, sure. I'll just check with the boys down at the crime lab, they've got four more detectives working on the case. They got us working in shifts!

gvibes fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 22, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

webmeister posted:

Yeah I kinda realise nothing will be enough to satisfy psycho mum, but offering a compromise of giving a toast to absent friends & family, where you can mention Brooke along with any other dead family members or friends that would've otherwise been there, might be worth considering. I've been to several weddings where people have given a toast for a dead relative, but I've never seen a big-rear end memorial shrine to someone.

Why should the daughter have to compromise on this? The mother can go to hell, and say hello to Brooke from me.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

My high school best friend lost her eldest son to suicide when he was freshly 18. She has a photo of him and a couple of things of his on a side table next to the Christmas tree every year, and marks his birthday (not so much his death date tho, that’s still a bit raw after five years). I think it’s nice to have a place for him.. but she doesn’t gently caress with her younger son’s birthdays and special events, so that might be a whole different scenario.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Brawnfire posted:

They also wouldn't act like I'm a criminal myself for calling them. I've spoken to cops twice, once for a stolen car once for a home break-in. Both times they were so terse, interrogative, and abusive in their speech it felt like they were going to arrest me for reporting, which honestly feels within the realm of possibility in retrospect

One thing I’ve learned from my interactions with the police is that a crazy meth-head trying to steal and smash my phone is a “civil matter” and that it’s unreasonable for me to expect them to actually do their jobs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brawnfire posted:

Cops absolutely loving hate having to actually do their jobs, or literally anything other than beating, robbing and shooting people and getting away with it.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cops absolutely loving hate having to actually do their jobs, or literally anything other than beating, robbing and shooting people and getting away with it.

That's unfair.
They also really like giving traffic tickets and assaulting the capitol.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hey ever read a headline and you know exactly how it's going to be, then you start reading and are like, "Yep" and then finish reading and think WHAT THE gently caress DID I JUST READ? Yaah....

AITA for calling my oldest daughter by her real name?

quote:

I’m typing from my phone, so sorry for any grammar mistakes.

Basically, this whole mess started three weeks ago. Some background info: I have two kids, one is a cis female (16 years old) and the other just came out as trans, mtf. (13 years old) I love both my daughters immensely, and have been trying to help the younger one through transitioning as much as possible.

The older one’s name is, let’s say, Eleanor. She’s always hated her name, and has been called Ellie since she was very little, like one or two.

Anyway, when my other daughter came out as trans, we had a convo where we talked about what it meant for her, what she wanted, etc. At the end, I ask if she wants to go by a different name. She says yes, and wants to go by Ellie.

The older one immediately goes “but that’s my name,” and both my husband and I are dumbfounded. Ellie( the younger one, i’m going to call her E to avoid confusion from now on) says it’s her favorite name ever and she loves it very much, and suggests her sister start going by Eleanor.

Eleanor literally despises the name Eleanor, and to my knowledge, no one actually calls her Eleanor, everyone calls her Ellie.

My husband asks E if she’d prefer being called a different name, but E refuses.

Eleanor also doesn’t want to go by Eleanor, so we currently have both our daughters wanting to go by Ellie.

We’ve been calling Eleanor her real name, and E Ellie, and Eleanor thinks that I’m being an rear end in a top hat by letting her sister go by Ellie, and Ellie thinks Eleanor is being an rear end in a top hat.

I know this sounds like a shitpost, and I honestly still can’t believe it’s real.

I don’t know what to do, am I being an rear end in a top hat by letting E go by Ellie?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've mostly been calling both of them Ellie, and trying to get E by something else, but she won't. I've explained to E that it's not fair to her sister, but she doesn't really care. When I told her she needed to pick a different name, she basically gave me the silent treatment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Hey ever read a headline and you know exactly how it's going to be, then you start reading and are like, "Yep" and then finish reading and think WHAT THE gently caress DID I JUST READ? Yaah....

That’s one hell of a power move by the younger one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AITA for not going to school to play the new among us release?

quote:

I, 14M, used to hate among us until they released a big update chock full of new content. Only problem is, school is in the way (not for long as vacation is coming in soon) so I missed a few days to play. I have now “attendance failed” which means all my grades are set down to 50s because I failed the term. This is loving insane as I only didn’t show up for 6 days in an entire term (there are 4 terms btw). Now it seems silly that I traded education for a stupid game but lets be for real here, school is the twenty first century edition of slavery, if not even worse. Am I really in the wrong here?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ah, to be 14 again

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean yeah he's 14 but also I like how he's leaving out how not showing up for the last week in the term means he missed a lot of major exams and project deadlines. As if any week in the school year is interchangeable with another.

You'd think a kid who spent that time playing Among Us would be a better liar.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

From the comments:

quote:

Welp I hope it doesn’t effect college because I’m hoping to graduate from Yale with a degree in biomechanics or something that pays extremely well. I heard colleges only really care about your ACT scores and extra circulars and let me tell you buddy, running a reddit account ain’t no easy work

tanking my ivy league aspirations to play a video game for a few days lol

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ah, to be 14 again

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Bargearse posted:

a “civil matter”

The idea of this absolutely blows my mind. Years ago, my house got broken into, nothing taken but still the police were lovely, they came for a follow up and gave me some free security things, dusted for prints, etc etc. I'm guessing this civil matter thing is American?!?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

sugar mouse posted:

The idea of this absolutely blows my mind. Years ago, my house got broken into, nothing taken but still the police were lovely, they came for a follow up and gave me some free security things, dusted for prints, etc etc. I'm guessing this civil matter thing is American?!?

British thing too

Hughlander posted:

Lol, don't be surprised if older sister calls you "rear end in a top hat" instead

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Just call her Ellie Jr. or Ellie 2 until she gets the hint (because everyone just calls her Junior or 2 instead)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

gvibes posted:

I

yeah, sure. I'll just check with the boys down at the crime lab, they've got four more detectives working on the case. They got us working in shifts!

I was just about to look for this clip to post. :argh:

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
A few pages ago but:

Hellblazer187 posted:

My mom (43F) is angry at me(17F) for not picking a university she likes

"...she thinks I'm lazy for wanting University A rather than a more prestigious school."

Tell me you didn't go to university without telling me you didn't go to university.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There's currently a murder trial going on in Australia that started over cops pulling that "not our problem" poo poo.

So the DJ and his family go to the thief's place to get their poo poo back and the thief shoots the DJ's father to death.

One of many reasons we do not need police.

Bargearse posted:

Literally every time anyone has needed the cops, they do this if they don't just kill you.

ilmucche posted:

British thing too

Lol, don't be surprised if older sister calls you "rear end in a top hat" instead

Everywhere thing. There's a reason the saying isn't "some cops are bastards."

This post was a real curveball. From the title, obviously, I assumed OP was just going to be transphobic. Shocking to see basically the exact opposite is at play in this fake post.

tax

AITA for not apologizing over a joke I pulled on my gf’s brother in the hotel room?

quote:

My gf,her brother,and I went on a road trip and booked a night in a little hotel. Small but cozy, two beds and one restroom. Late at night I finished showering and came out just wearing my sweat pants. I’m in pretty good shape and I guess the leftover bit of water was making me look extra good because my gf whistled at me, too which her brother said eww and told me to put a shirt on. Then he said”Why are you even hyping him up? Your ex’s muscles were like twice his size.” Gf is like”Omg would you stop, they were not.” and looks at me and says they were not. Well I decided to play a little joke on my gf’s brother and whispered to her to just play along.

I picked my gf up and threw her on the bed. Then told her brother”Get out and close the door. You’re not gonna wanna see what I’m about to do to your sister.” and then went down to kiss her. Her brother went”Yoyoyo nah nah hold the gently caress up.” I got up and started to laugh, telling him I was just joking and wasn’t actually gonna do what he thought I was gonna do.

“I don’t give a gently caress. You don’t make jokes about loving my sister in front of me, rear end in a top hat.” I wasn’t expecting him to get this mad so I tell him to just chill the gently caress and my gf tells us to calm the hell down before we get kicked out. We dropped it there. But the next day I’m alone with him in the car when we drove to a deli for breakfast and my gf went in by herself to pick them up. I’m just chilling with my eyes closed when her brother kicks the back of my seat and tells me to wake the gently caress up. I ask him if he’s sick in the head and what his problem is and he told me we had unfinished business to solve over yesterday. I tell him to get the gently caress over it, I made a sex joke about his sister/my gf who I’ve been with for years. Ohh the horror! He’s like”Nah you gonna have to apologize for making a joke like that in front of me. You think I’m some little bitch who’s gonna take that?” I tell him he is gonna take it or else I’m kicking him out my car and he can stay in Pennsylvania. He cries and yells in the back about how this some bullshit

Gf comes back and ask us what the issue is. I ask her brother if there is an issue and he says yeah, your rear end in a top hat bf ain’t apologizing to me. She groans and ask if we’re still on about this. I say I’m trying to move past it but her brother says he can’t unless I apologize. I tell my gf that if her brother says one more word about this then I’m kicking him out my car. Gf tells him to listen to her and drop it before this becomes an even bigger issue. He mutters some curse words in the back but drops it. We eat our food then head home, her brother didn’t say a word to me the whole way back home.

All that for a little joke. It was just a loving joke. Dude can’t take a little joke about sex but I’m supposed to take a joke about her ex? Is he the rear end in a top hat? Am I missing something and it’s actually me who’s the rear end in a top hat?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Shithouse Dave posted:

My high school best friend lost her eldest son to suicide when he was freshly 18. She has a photo of him and a couple of things of his on a side table next to the Christmas tree every year, and marks his birthday (not so much his death date tho, that’s still a bit raw after five years). I think it’s nice to have a place for him.. but she doesn’t gently caress with her younger son’s birthdays and special events, so that might be a whole different scenario.
5 years for her adult son is fine.

25 years for a 5 year old is time to fucken move on

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Invisible Clergy posted:

One of many reasons we do not need police.

Literally every time anyone has needed the cops, they do this if they don't just kill you.

Everywhere thing. There's a reason the saying isn't "some cops are bastards."

This post was a real curveball. From the title, obviously, I assumed OP was just going to be transphobic. Shocking to see basically the exact opposite is at play in this fake post.

tax

AITA for not apologizing over a joke I pulled on my gf’s brother in the hotel room?

I was going to say I wish they gave ages but none of this behaviour is ok at any age. OP is less the rear end in a top hat but they both suck!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

PancakeTransmission posted:

5 years for her adult son is fine.

25 years for a 5 year old is time to fucken move on

You’re right. It’s almost like she’s mentally unwell.

Also , what’s the official cut off time that you’re allowed to grieve for? How OP is processing her grief is unhealthy and cruel to her other kids at this point but I’m very curious as to what your cutoff point for grief itself is.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 22, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I find myself wondering about the timeline there. The twins were 3 when Brooke died, and she mentions that Brooke was sick, so I'm guessing the twins were only babies or toddlers when she suddenly had a very ill child on her hands (possibly already without the dad in the picture?). My guess is that, between taking care of Brooke and then losing her, she never had a chance to really bond with the other kids before she was incapable of caring for them. I can see how, under those circumstances and her obvious burden of mental illness, she could see Brooke as her only "real" kid and the twins as sort of unpleasant coincidences. It's incredibly sad and strange, and it's a tragedy that she didn't get whatever counseling she needed to salvage something from the year she had full custody when they were preteens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DreamingofRoses posted:

You’re right. It’s almost like she’s mentally unwell.

Also , what’s the official cut off time that you’re allowed to grieve for? How OP is processing her grief is unhealthy and cruel to her other kids at this point but I’m very curious as to what your cutoff point for grief itself is.

You can mourn as long as you want, but after a year it's rude to constantly vomit it all over other people. Preformative grief is just another way of making everything about ME ME ME.