Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

All of these pictures are very cool, but I spent a long time staring at this one in particular, trying to figure out if the design is symmetric or not, and it isn't, and that bothers me :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The two ribbon shapes are identical, it’s just not the swastika you're expecting.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
The bottom 3x3 grid is different than the others, though. There's a transposition of blue and brown at, like, the 10-o'-clock position on that 3x3 so that it isn't surrounded by white like the other three are.

Maybe it got broken and repaired by someone who botched it up, I can see other places where parts got knocked off (I'm not counting them in the asymmetry).

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

TipTow posted:

From the "Mausoleum of Galla Placidia." Mid fifth century. Was originally probably an oratory connected to San Croce; the Narthex and other oratory are gone, but the church still stands, albeit in a pretty dilapidated state. I bit of it can be seen behind the Mausoleum, including a medieval belltower, on the right:

I have some more to post but the kids are being lovely and I better help with that!

These bricked-over archways were originally open, right? They were just freestanding columns like in Greek temples?

Kylaer posted:

Maybe it got broken and repaired by someone who botched it up, I can see other places where parts got knocked off (I'm not counting them in the asymmetry).

Yeah, I think this is it. There's several places all over that have been repaired wrong, apparently by someone who was vaguely aware of the concept of patterns but didn't know or care which ones belonged where.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It's possible some of the myth of beer over water for safety comes from the antibacterial action of hops towards gram positive bacteria, although of course this is irrelevant to the ancient world.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

These bricked-over archways were originally open, right? They were just freestanding columns like in Greek temples?

No, I don't believe so--not for the Mausoleum, anyway. I'm not 100% certain on that, but 1) nothing in the interior architecture suggests those areas were open to the outside at any point, and 2) early church architecture differed from pagan temple architecture deliberately in this manner. The pagan gods were to be worshiped out in the open, in their sight. Christians, on the other hand, had been acculturated to worshiping in secret, and as the religion grew and became accepted Christians deliberately differentiated themselves from pagans by (among other things) choosing the more cloistered basilica model for their holy spaces.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 19, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bascilicas are literally Walmarts

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

Bascilicas are literally Walmarts

I wish Wal Marts had arcaded isles with apses, that would make them a lot more tolerable to be in

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you are calling bascilicas secret cloistered places

They were the Walmarts of their their time

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

It's possible some of the myth of beer over water for safety comes from the antibacterial action of hops towards gram positive bacteria, although of course this is irrelevant to the ancient world.

I think it is just presentism. If I'm a neo-classicist in the long 19th century living in London I do not want to drink the water. If I'm living in the most civilized place in all of history then what were other people living like? They weren't drinking the water, that is for sure!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

you are calling bascilicas secret cloistered places

They were the Walmarts of their their time

Architecturally. And I suppose I should've clarified, basilicas of late antiquity were not the same of those that came before. Compare the Basilico Novo to the Basilica Julia, et al.

edit: maybe poor terminology on my part. It seems like you're interpreting "cloistered" to mean "secret," I was just thinking more "indoors, separated from the world." Which, again, earlier basilicas would've been more exposed to the outside world, later ones (when Christianity was ascendant) definitely had a separation between the outside and in.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 19, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I think it is just presentism. If I'm a neo-classicist in the long 19th century living in London I do not want to drink the water. If I'm living in the most civilized place in all of history then what were other people living like? They weren't drinking the water, that is for sure!

Actually by 1829 there was treated water available from the Chelsea waterworks and by 1855 all water in the metropolitan area was legally required to be effectively filtered. This was done using slow sand filters which are still used in London today.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Weka posted:

Actually by 1829 there was treated water available from the Chelsea waterworks and by 1855 all water in the metropolitan area was legally required to be effectively filtered. This was done using slow sand filters which are still used in London today.
Well if they only just got that going in London in the last few decades (and it will surely collapse due to the sand shortage) then obviously the water was never drinkable BEFORE then, anywhere.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

TipTow posted:

No, I don't believe so--not for the Mausoleum, anyway. I'm not 100% certain on that, but 1) nothing in the interior architecture suggests those areas were open to the outside at any point, and 2) early church architecture differed from pagan temple architecture deliberately in this manner. The pagan gods were to be worshiped out in the open, in their sight. Christians, on the other hand, had been acculturated to worshiping in secret, and as the religion grew and became accepted Christians deliberately differentiated themselves from pagans by (among other things) choosing the more cloistered basilica model for their holy spaces.

Interesting. The upstairs columnated spaces on that first image look like they were once balconies that later got closed off. If not, they're just... meaningless cruft. I guess that's kinda the definition of architecture though :effort:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Vitruvian Manic posted:

They don't live in a city, much less an enormously dense industrial city surrounded by miles of lesser urban residences and industry.

Even in Tudor London it was recognized that Thames water was no good. At that time you could walk across the entire town in 15 minutes, and there was rural farmland separating Westminster from the City of London. There were just people hired to collect water daily from the Thames tributaries and bring it to the city centre.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lets not disregard tua mater

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nessus posted:

Well if they only just got that going in London in the last few decades (and it will surely collapse due to the sand shortage) then obviously the water was never drinkable BEFORE then, anywhere.

Yeah this. The process of getting London's water treated was protracted, often controversial, and would have been large in the mind of any historian operating at the time.

Hell, germ theory still faced major opposition until the end of the century, and chlorination of London's water didn't start until the early 1900s.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My image of the first Portuguese encounter with the Japanese has the Japanese being absolutely amazed how at how loving filthy, smelly, and hairy they are. I'm actually kind of curious as to how China and Japan stacked up versus Europe in terms of cleanliness, both of the personal variety and the city variety.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
They were also sailors, some weeks or months underway. Probably had more to do with it than personal habits.

On Japanese waste management, I found a fun little paper.

https://www.japanesestudies.org.uk/ejcjs/vol16/iss3/szczygiel.html

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've read that Japan was very clean but I am also super dubious about those accounts. Glorious Unspoiled Nihon always makes me suspicious.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah sailors in northern waters really had zero opportunities to bathe. The ship's water was far too precious for frivolities like bathing.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

I've read that Japan was very clean but I am also super dubious about those accounts. Glorious Unspoiled Nihon always makes me suspicious.

Europe, especially Northern Eurioe, was also going through a decline in bathing culture at that time, due to many reasons, including deforestation, the onset of the Little Ice Age, and a residual fear of public bathhouses that was brought on by the Black Death.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I've never read about it in Japan's case but cleanliness was a pretty big thing in premodern Korea so it wouldn't at all surprise me. There's a kind of funny account from a Song Dynasty envoy to Goryeo; most of what he has to say about the country is pretty condescending, but:

Xu Jing posted:

In the old histories it is said that in Goryeo people are usually very clean. It remains so to this day. They always laugh about how dirty the Chinese are. When they get up in the morning they have to wash before going out the door. In the summer months they bathe again during the day. They gather in brooks and streams, without separating men and women, and all leave their clothes and hats on the bank. They do not find it strange to undress in the middle of the stream. Washing clothes and starching hemp fabric are all done by women. Whether day or night, they are diligent at this and do not dare call it labor.

Among the not-destitute home cleanliness was similarly pretty highly emphasized, at least from what we know in Joseon. In Korea's case everything is done directly on the floor which surely contributed to that kind of culture, and that's basically true of Japan too isn't it?

It's worth noting what different cultures consider clean is obviously kinda varied though -- in spite of being fastidious about personal hygiene, laundry, and keeping a tidy home, it seems like people in Joseon were a-ok with taking a poo poo directly in front of house guests, much to the horror of Western visitors. In Europe in contrast you get the rise of privacy as a thing even as there's a decline in bathing culture during the Early Modern (okay privacy is a huge deal in Korea too, but clearly applied in different ways). It's not like bathing daily is even objectively necessary, our present values maybe just happen to line up a bit better with premodern Korea and Japan than they would with Portuguese sailors.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Koramei posted:

It's worth noting what different cultures consider clean is obviously kinda varied though -- in spite of being fastidious about personal hygiene, laundry, and keeping a tidy home, it seems like people in Joseon were a-ok with taking a poo poo directly in front of house guests, much to the horror of Western visitors.

Gotta make Lyndon Johnson an honorary Korean

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

TipTow posted:

I thought about posting this in the travel subforum, but it unsurprisingly is not getting much traffic these days, and I've lurked this thread for several years and know if anyone would have suggestions they'd be in here:

My wife and I are planning on visiting Istanbul sometime in the summer of 2022 (both are full vaxx'ed plus boosters). We're going for a lot of reasons, but for me personally I want to see and experience the Roman and Byzantine medieval Roman heritage of the city. I know much of it is gone between 1204 and the Ottomans' rebuilding of the city post-1453, but am wanting to know: what should I see that's not an obvious staple, like the Hagia Sophia or the Theodosian walls?

In particular I've got the various triumphal columns nailed down, including the Column of Marcian, which has somehow survived all these centuries only to be at the center of what appears to be an unremarkable and unceremonious traffic circle in a quiet neighbohood (love this kind of stuff, by the way). There's a little bit of the Blachernae Palace to see, have that marked as well.

tl;dr--any niche Roman/Byzantine things to see in Istanbul, that only nerds that lurk and post in this tread would be into?

And yeah, I know probably the best place to see Roman Istanbul is Venice, but no plans on going there anytime soon.

I lived in Istanbul for years.

Definitely hit up the Basilica Cistern.

Rumeli Castle is cool too.

Eat at: https://culinarybackstreets.com/cities-category/istanbul/2013/siirt-seref-buryan/
It has awesome lamb cooked in a pit and is right under some ancient Roman aqueducts.

The Great Palace Mosaic Museum has tons of cool old gnarly hunting scenes.

If I may, some must-eats beyond the obvious stuff:

- Balik Ekmek (Fish Sandwich) served by cart guys near the Eminonu Bridge. Tourists go to the boats packed with folks on the Old Quarter side, locals tend to hit up the guys who look like the Super Mario Bros on the other side.

Kokorec: This is intestines cooked on a spit mixed with veggies and spices stuffed in bread. The closest thing it tastes like is a Philly Cheesteak, oddly enough. My favorite was Osmanli Kokorec on Tarlibasi Blvd. It's a late night place and popular with the trans prostitutes, but who knows nowadays since that whole area is getting gentrified.

Melekler Kebab in Beyoglu ( Katip Mustafa Çelebi, İpek Sk) is my go-to budget grilled meat place. Get the cop sis porsiyon, awesome grilled morsels of beef and fat with all sorts of sides.

Tantuni: A Beyoglu special, it's kind of like a Turkish taco filled with spiced meat and loads of cumin and arugula.

Midye Dolma: Little stuffed mussel street food that's sold on the waterfronts and drinking areas. Addictive! You have to kind of schmooze with the guy (send the lady-charm offensive first) to get the best price, but it's part of the game.

Cig Kofte: Little raw bulgur 'meatballs' wrapped in various things doused in awesome pomegranate stuff.

Durumzade: It is covered in annoying photos after Bourdain went there and hyped it up, but he was correct in that it is one of the best grilled-meat-wrap places in the entire city. Go with the duble adana with ayran.

The best doner in the city is honestly found in the Syrian joints - there is a whole street off Istiklal that is just packed with little Syrian doner joints and many of them are amazingly cheap and great. Turks generally don't gently caress with sauce on their doner except for ketchup + mayo (WHYYYY) but the Syrians roll with good garlic yogurt and spicy sauce.

I recommend sleeping in Beyoglu, it has the interesting nightlife and lots of restaurants and such. From there it is easy to walk to Old Quarter on the scenic route, or stroll down to the docks and grab a boat to the Asian side or the Prince's Islands. My favorite of the islands is Heybeliada, from the dock you can walk to German beach (alman koyu). Tiny secluded spot that's a few km out of town on a scenic route packed with friendly stray dogs that will pace you, with awesome views from the cliffs. Thousands of mussels nest on the sea-bed, you can just swim out and grab them by the handful and bring them back to the beach where the chilled out drunk guy who has the tables will help you grill them up.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 22, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I can't find any English language news source, but apparently Danish archeologists found a foot-chain from the Germanic iron age (400 AD), in Fæsted near the ancient power centre of Ribe. Analysis reveal that the iron came from a British scene, and so may constitute a smoking gun regarding slave taking in Scandinavia. Probably from Denmark to Rome, but anything is possible, really.

This is very much my jam, and I thought you guys might find it interesting too.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

A Festivus Miracle posted:

My image of the first Portuguese encounter with the Japanese has the Japanese being absolutely amazed how at how loving filthy, smelly, and hairy they are. I'm actually kind of curious as to how China and Japan stacked up versus Europe in terms of cleanliness, both of the personal variety and the city variety.

The Japanese art depictions when they first saw an Elephant after a Portuguese ship crash landed on the shore is pretty rad

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I lived in Istanbul for years.

Definitely hit up the Basilica Cistern.

Rumeli Castle is cool too.

Eat at: https://culinarybackstreets.com/cities-category/istanbul/2013/siirt-seref-buryan/
It has awesome lamb cooked in a pit and is right under some ancient Roman aqueducts.

The Great Palace Mosaic Museum has tons of cool old gnarly hunting scenes.

If I may, some must-eats beyond the obvious stuff:

- Balik Ekmek (Fish Sandwich) served by cart guys near the Eminonu Bridge. Tourists go to the boats packed with folks on the Old Quarter side, locals tend to hit up the guys who look like the Super Mario Bros on the other side.

Kokorec: This is intestines cooked on a spit mixed with veggies and spices stuffed in bread. The closest thing it tastes like is a Philly Cheesteak, oddly enough. My favorite was Osmanli Kokorec on Tarlibasi Blvd. It's a late night place and popular with the trans prostitutes, but who knows nowadays since that whole area is getting gentrified.

Melekler Kebab in Beyoglu ( Katip Mustafa Çelebi, İpek Sk) is my go-to budget grilled meat place. Get the cop sis porsiyon, awesome grilled morsels of beef and fat with all sorts of sides.

Tantuni: A Beyoglu special, it's kind of like a Turkish taco filled with spiced meat and loads of cumin and arugula.

Midye Dolma: Little stuffed mussel street food that's sold on the waterfronts and drinking areas. Addictive! You have to kind of schmooze with the guy (send the lady-charm offensive first) to get the best price, but it's part of the game.

Cig Kofte: Little raw bulgur 'meatballs' wrapped in various things doused in awesome pomegranate stuff.

Durumzade: It is covered in annoying photos after Bourdain went there and hyped it up, but he was correct in that it is one of the best grilled-meat-wrap places in the entire city. Go with the duble adana with ayran.

The best doner in the city is honestly found in the Syrian joints - there is a whole street off Istiklal that is just packed with little Syrian doner joints and many of them are amazingly cheap and great. Turks generally don't gently caress with sauce on their doner except for ketchup + mayo (WHYYYY) but the Syrians roll with good garlic yogurt and spicy sauce.

I recommend sleeping in Beyoglu, it has the interesting nightlife and lots of restaurants and such. From there it is easy to walk to Old Quarter on the scenic route, or stroll down to the docks and grab a boat to the Asian side or the Prince's Islands. My favorite of the islands is Heybeliada, from the dock you can walk to German beach (alman koyu). Tiny secluded spot that's a few km out of town on a scenic route packed with friendly stray dogs that will pace you, with awesome views from the cliffs. Thousands of mussels nest on the sea-bed, you can just swim out and grab them by the handful and bring them back to the beach where the chilled out drunk guy who has the tables will help you grill them up.

Saving this for when I go soon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah post as many Istanbul tips as you got, I'm sure this thread is full of people who want to go sometime. I'm one of them.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Two years ago I had plans to go… :cry:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I know it's touristy but I loved going to a whirling dervish performance while in Istanbul. "Watchtower of Turkey" had just been released when we started planning an Istanbul trip while teaching in Spain, and we basically just tried to do everything in that video. Unfortunately the security situation deteriorated while we were there, and there was a series of bombings, so we stayed in the proximity of Istanbul rather than traveling throughout the country. But I'd love to go back.

https://vimeo.com/108018156

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Make sure you get to see some tilework painted by Sinan. Dude was the Michelangelo of patterned tile motifs, and has painted several buildings around town. I saw his work on a small rooftop mosque near the old spice market, but a list of locations can probably be googled

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah post as many Istanbul tips as you got, I'm sure this thread is full of people who want to go sometime. I'm one of them.

Istanbul was Constantinople, now it's Istanbul not Constantinople.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I remember a hostel in Greece where a map on the wall had the name of Istanbul edited back and forth in pen like four times

I corrected it to Koine Greek when no one was looking :agesilaus:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Please it’s İstanbul.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Also it’s literally the same name, Constantinopolis -> Stamboul -> İstanbul

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Zopotantor posted:

Also it’s literally the same name, Constantinopolis -> Stamboul -> İstanbul

not quite

Turkish name of Constantinople; it developed in Turkish 16c. as a corruption of Greek phrase eis tan (ten) polin "in (or to) the city," which is how the local Greek population referred to it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Huh so it is essentially 'The City'? That seems very appropriate for the new Rome

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I believe the closest translation is "Not Constantinople"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's nobody's business but the Turks, anyway.