Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Wondering about the official Xbox Wireless Headset v the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2. Which is better?

Haven't used the Xbox headset, but I gave up on two separate Stealth 700 headsets. RMA'd them both, replacement sets had similar issues. Bluetooth connection was extremely finicky, had audio dropping issues as well as volume/mic issues.

Moved to a wired HyperX Cloud Stinger S and haven't looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
If I get an external hard drive can I use it to just quick swap data around or does it just try to run everything off of the external? I don't mind having to wait for the transfer or whatever I just hate having to install/uninstall 100GB every time I want to play a AAA title.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

If I get an external hard drive can I use it to just quick swap data around or does it just try to run everything off of the external? I don't mind having to wait for the transfer or whatever I just hate having to install/uninstall 100GB every time I want to play a AAA title.

You can swap data around.

You can set it so the Xbox will automatically download everything to either the internal or external by default. Content runs from wherever it is stored, as long as the game supports it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zurtilik posted:

Man, going to the Switch is a real bummer sometimes. If the Series S can be $300 surely we can get a $350-$400 Switch with a little more oomph.

Switch is a portable though; not really comparable to the Series S imo. The OLED display (and overall more robust build quality) on the latest model is pretty dang sweet and well worth the premium. If you wanna harp on anything about the Switch's MSRP spec, balk at its 64GB emmc internal storage.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Midniter posted:

Haven't used the Xbox headset, but I gave up on two separate Stealth 700 headsets. RMA'd them both, replacement sets had similar issues. Bluetooth connection was extremely finicky, had audio dropping issues as well as volume/mic issues.

Moved to a wired HyperX Cloud Stinger S and haven't looked back.

The reviews for both that I've read are all over the place relating to comfort, sound quality, connection reliability etc. Why is nothing simple in life, my omicron buddies?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

Man, going to the Switch is a real bummer sometimes. If the Series S can be $300 surely we can get a $350-$400 Switch with a little more oomph.
Nintendo don't do state-of-the-art tech-wise, they're more about repurposing existing tech for weird new purposes, for better or worse. To paraphrase the designer of the Wii, they make family sedans instead of sports cars. :iiaca:

I mean, poo poo, the Game Boy had a hacked clone of a CPU from the 70s...

Zurtilik posted:

To add to what other people have said: You can store Series S/X games on an external, but you can't play them off of it. You can only play them off of internal storage or one of those horrifyingly expensive expansion cards.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The reviews for both that I've read are all over the place relating to comfort, sound quality, connection reliability etc. Why is nothing simple in life, my omicron buddies?

I have both the Stealth 700 gen 2 and the Xbox headsets. I think they are pretty comparable, so the Xbox one being cheaper makes it hard not to recommend.

I like both.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

teagone posted:

Switch is a portable though; not really comparable to the Series S imo. The OLED display (and overall more robust build quality) on the latest model is pretty dang sweet and well worth the premium. If you wanna harp on anything about the Switch's MSRP spec, balk at its 64GB emmc internal storage.

I understand that but in a world where tech wasn't a nightmare I am CERTAIN that Nintendo could easily get me something closer to the Series S than the current Switch, especially for an extra $100 to work with. But between tech costs and the fact they still like hot cakes, I'm not expecting nor am I surprised there isn't some sort of hardware update yet. At this rate I'd rather just wait for a full gen replacement anyway.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Kins posted:

To add to what other people have said: You can store Series S/X games on an external, but you can't play them off of it. You can only play them off of internal storage or one of those horrifyingly expensive expansion cards.

Unless the drop a $100 External Expansion card I'd probably just sell my Series S and buy a Series X before I buy the $200 expansion card.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I bought the MS headphones, and I love them. Comfortable, and the adjustable volume being giant is helpful when I'm just reaching up to adjust it while playing. The button to turn them on can be a bit weird at times as you have to really give it a bit of a push to make sure they actually turn on. The connection is pretty good too, I've walked out of my room and to the kitchen and back with minor audio popping happening due to being so far from the system.

I also have a pair of Steelseries headphones (Arctis 1), and while the cups on those don't press as much on my head as the MS ones (which only gets noticeable if I've been wearing them all day) I switched to the MS headphones because the other pair required a USB dongle to connect to the console and that's a precious USB port I need (considering the one in back has a 5tb drive attached for game storage) for plugging my controller in when I'm too lazy to just grab the other controller that's (probably) charged.

TL:DR MS headphones good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zurtilik posted:

I understand that but in a world where tech wasn't a nightmare I am CERTAIN that Nintendo could easily get me something closer to the Series S than the current Switch, especially for an extra $100 to work with. But between tech costs and the fact they still like hot cakes, I'm not expecting nor am I surprised there isn't some sort of hardware update yet. At this rate I'd rather just wait for a full gen replacement anyway.

The fabled Super Switch sounded great. I would've loved if we got Nintendo's equivalent of the Steam Deck or something similar, but still, I'm very happy with my OLED purchase.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nintendo is hosed because they're completely reliant on Nvidia to develop a new chip for them or they risk completely blowing up backwards compatibility.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A thing Nintendo definitely care about lmao

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They care about more than Sony does at least with PS1 games lmao

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

American McGay posted:

Nintendo is hosed because they're completely reliant on Nvidia to develop a new chip for them or they risk completely blowing up backwards compatibility.

Can't wait to buy all my favorite Switch titles for the Nintendo Fold for 69.99!

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Zurtilik posted:

Can't wait to buy all my favorite Switch titles for the Nintendo Fold for 69.99!

They will offer a 2% discount if you bought the game on switch AND Wii U

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

A thing Nintendo definitely care about lmao

Yeah I was gonna say, lol. I can totally play all my old Wii games on my Switch. Oh wait, no I can't.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Hopefully someone's Nintenduncle has an Xbox and sees how nice backwards compatibility can be

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My switch will make a nice coaster for my steamdeck in a few months

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Series X arrived today, liking it so far. Played a few hours of Halo Infinite and had no issues.

Loaded up Jedi : Fallen Order and there's like a weird blackout for a second or so every 5-10 mins of gameplay, which is really distracting. Is it likely there's a problem with the console or is this a problem other people have seen? Google didn't return much.

Thanks

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

BigHandsVince posted:

Series X arrived today, liking it so far. Played a few hours of Halo Infinite and had no issues.

Loaded up Jedi : Fallen Order and there's like a weird blackout for a second or so every 5-10 mins of gameplay, which is really distracting. Is it likely there's a problem with the console or is this a problem other people have seen? Google didn't return much.

Thanks

Using the HDMI cable that came with the system? If not, start there. Otherwise, make sure the cable is fully seated on both ends.

Edit: saw you mention it was working in Halo, so that's weird.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had that problem with my PlayStation before. Some weird syncing issue that I either fixed by changing cables or input ports on my tv.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

BigHandsVince posted:

Thanks

That't almost always an HDMI handshake issue, no mater what console. First try a new cable or a different port on your tv. Make sure there aren't any differences between HDMI ports on your tv. Some tv's from just a few years ago only did HDR on one specific port. Fully power down everything, make sure the firmware is updated, etc...

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Evil Badman posted:

Using the HDMI cable that came with the system? If not, start there. Otherwise, make sure the cable is fully seated on both ends.

Edit: saw you mention it was working in Halo, so that's weird.

Yeah, well actually using the identical cable that came with the Series S, they had the same sticker, pretty sure they are identical cables.

Yeah I'm back on Halo now and it's solid. Seems like the Jedi game is buggy, but I can't see anyone reporting that particular bug.

Downloading some other games tonight to see if it happens anywhere else, would have thought Halo would be more demanding since it's new so hopefully not the console.

Edit : loaded Fallen Order up again, the cutouts happen even in the middle of cutscenes etc. Shame, it seemed like it might be an alright game.

Edit (2) :

The console was in one of the sections of an IKEA Kallax unit, with around 3-5 cm space above the top of the console, all sides unobstructed. Initially I didn't think this would be a problem as airflow around the console isn't restricted. I'm not sure about that now so I moved it on top of the unit but I'll need to figure something else out. Moving the console didn't stop the dropouts though.

I disconnected the HDMI cable and had a look at it, seems to be fine, and is definitely the HDMI-High Speed one from the Series S I have. After re-connecting it and routing it differently, I haven't seen a dropout again in 2+ hours of Fallen Order, hopefully that's it resolved.

BigHandsVince fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 22, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol SOD2 is one of the most frustrating game I have ever played. I am super hooked on it now but had my entire run ruined by some bullshit I'm so mad. Probably 8 hours and it feels like my run is unsalvageable now, mostly cause the follower AI is stupid and the game doesn't explain mechanics well.

This is honestly the maddest I have been at a game in like, years lol.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Chorus owns

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Are there any games on Gamepass that are chill repetitive puzzle solving games? Games similar to picross or the witness?

I just beat the free hidden object game that came out the other day lol

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
What's the hidden object game?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MikeRabsitch posted:

trying to find a PS5/Series X

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MikeRabsitch posted:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/queens-quest-5-symphony-of-death-xbox-version/9n2zk1z9fd6z

its free to play but all they sell is hint tokens no one should need. enjoy your 1000 new achievement points

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That game looks cool, although I did have the final boss spoiled to me by some rear end in a top hat on Twitter which is annoying.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

elf help book posted:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/queens-quest-5-symphony-of-death-xbox-version/9n2zk1z9fd6z

its free to play but all they sell is hint tokens no one should need. enjoy your 1000 new achievement points

I have a bunch of alerts for all of those games by the same developer on dekudeals on Switch and one or two routinely go on sale for two or three bucks every week or so. They are surprisingly fun and chill. I'm definitely interested in anything similar on Xbox too.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

elf help book posted:

Are there any games on Gamepass that are chill repetitive puzzle solving games? Games similar to picross or the witness?

Firewatch and Myst maybe?

There used to be a bunch of them on there that I completed. Such as Call of the Sea, Observation, RiME, The Turing Test, Eastshade...

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 22, 2021

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

It’s not at all a puzzle game but minecraft is a good if you wanna just shut your brain off and do something mindless for a few hours

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I think it looks great, but I'm a bit wary of the controls. Star Wars Squadron looks great but for the life of me I can't get a handle on the controls. How does Chorus compare?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

elf help book posted:

Unpacking, Donut County.

Possibly Forager, if you don't mind something that's half an idle game.

Edit: Maybe Rain On My Parade, which is mostly chill.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 22, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rain on Your Parade has some new DLC as well. Its not substantive but its cheap enough it cross my threshold for sure, Ill pay 8 bucks for doc to a gamepass game I liked

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

lmao if you didn't get the one you want on launch day

I can vouch for the Wireless xbox headset. You have to tweak the original EQ settings because it sounds bad out the box, but once you've done that they're great. I never tried any other headsets so can't compare but I'm very happy with these. Battery life is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Before We Leave is a very chill game but it controls much better on PC