Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If u think about it the people talking about differing opinions in a purposefully controversial thread are the real weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Elentor posted:

This thread, the "unpopular" videogame opinions is the one safe space for rancid negativity about games. The place where we can truly be safe to talk about how garbage all of those lovely games are, maybe argue with each other even. A safe haven amidst the chaos of people going "yay I preordered another garbo AAA game" where all we have is our angst. Complain not about your fellow posters, but about the lovely games they play.

You are either with us and posting about how much you hate mobas or against us and posting how much you love guardians of the galaxy

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I even learned to like posters I didn't like before like Duck and Cover because of our shared unpopular videogame opinions. DnC you're ok in my book now. Truly making GBS threads on videogames is the great uniter.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

people always complain that Games posters are weird whiners, but actually its this thread which is the most full of rancid negativity about games the resident weirdos may or may not have played

I only like things that are perfect and anyone who challenges those beliefs must be eliminated.

Elentor posted:

I even learned to like posters I didn't like before like Duck and Cover because of our shared unpopular videogame opinions. DnC you're ok in my book now. Truly making GBS threads on videogames is the great uniter.

Likewise except replace Duck and Cover with Elentor.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 22, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Personally I'm still reading it for bad Disco Elysium analogies. "It's like a book but with legs that runs around the room and you have to chase it down to read it. If I wanted to chase books around I'd read a jogger's t-shirt."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Imagine being so dense and incompetent that you think this thread is anything other than chill people making each other laugh. lol. just roflmao

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Maybe we're all weirdos, in our own way, except for me

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 22, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Disco Elysium is like if a boring and a suck had a baby, but I appreciate what they tried to do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I am the Dark Souls of forums posters

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

Imagine being so dense and incompetent that you think this thread is anything other than chill people making each other laugh. lol. just roflmao

Ironically this thread of rancid negativity is one of the threads where people take things least personally, because if 10% of the negativity in this thread made to the wow lore thread or any blizzard-related thread people's brains would implode and instead we're just laughing about this poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I thought that someone was sad because I hateloathe Dark Souls I'd be sad in return.

e: But if someone says they hate a Fallout I will FIGHT them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyways this thread simultaneously has some of the best games conversation and the worst games conversation so whatevs

I think that when games are recommended to people it'd be better if people had a general acceptance of separating artistic merit in terms of design, story, mechanics or whatever from the technical execution of the end product. We all understand that poo poo already, we just say cookie-cutter triple aye or whatever, and it'd be silly to actively try to get people to adopt this and describe games in terms of these axes, but I think that would be a much more convenient shorthand.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I hate Fallout 3, especially knowing that Van Buren was headed by Josh Sawyer until Interplay shuffled off.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 22, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout 3 was fine until new Vegas came out and now it's obsolete.

its like street fighter 1

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

people always complain that Games posters are weird whiners, but actually its this thread which is the most full of rancid negativity about games the resident weirdos may or may not have played

This thread is the best video game thread on the forum.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
This is the only thread where i can read the sentence "assassins creed games are good actually" and just ignore it rather than be a call to arms

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

This thread is the best video game thread on the forum.

gently caress yeah

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vic posted:

Personally I'm still reading it for bad Disco Elysium analogies. "It's like a book but with legs that runs around the room and you have to chase it down to read it. If I wanted to chase books around I'd read a jogger's t-shirt."

it's like a book but with choices that affect the story and its outcomes

so strictly worse than a normal book with a single curated story that was the sole focus of the author's attention

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't like any choices in games, including who to shoot and what guns to use. Remove it all. Play it all for me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Beartaco posted:

Disco Elysium is a game where you get a game over because you missed a 90% dice roll causing a small child to swear at you and now your character is having a mental breakdown. Alternatively sometimes you just game over for no reason, such as after examining a gear box in a car, or making a phone call to the wrong person. No dice roll required. The game also only autosaves every half hour or so so I hope you like quick saving after everything you do.

I never had a single game over.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't like any choices in games, including who to shoot and what guns to use. Remove it all. Play it all for me.

choosing which button to press is cool and good
maybe even choosing between unlocking the double jump or the grappling hook
but choosing which text box to read is very very bad

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's like a book but with choices that affect the story and its outcomes

so strictly worse than a normal book with a single curated story that was the sole focus of the author's attention

I've been writing CYOAs in these forums for 3 years now and I'm constantly flabbergasted by how much I have to make art out of adversity where adversity is just the winning vote.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If I thought that someone was sad because I hateloathe Dark Souls I'd be sad in return.

I don't hate Fallout but I do pity the people who keep playing those trash-fire games that Bethesda keeps making GBS threads out. And not just Fallout either, Bethesda Studios keeps making their fans drink piss through a straw and they just keep begging for more

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I don't hate Fallout but I do pity the people who keep playing those trash-fire games that Bethesda keeps making GBS threads out. And not just Fallout either, Bethesda Studios keeps making their fans drink piss through a straw and they just keep begging for more

How do you drink piss :confused:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
"Disco Elysium is like watching a group of people having a great time a few tables over while I'm sitting alone reading a book in a pub drinking the same beer for two hour so they won't kick me out."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i haven't played a bethesda studio game in years so i don't remember what they made us do back then

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Gamebryo

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

QuarkJets posted:

People like wandering about looking at things. I'm currently replaying FO4 for the first time since release (I hated it) and I'm having a great time just not giving a gently caress and walking into every dirty hospital or leaking sewer pipe I see so I can read stories about skeletons who hated each other and then take the skeletons whisky and duct tape.

Skyrim also has a plot that sucks and characters that suck and a levelling system that sucks and combat that sucks, but its a low pressure way to have a bitesized, low stakes bit of exploration before bed or whatever.

I'm not necessarily celebrating that, because it's setting the bar incredibly low, but I get their popularity and Bethesda is kind of good at that god-king walking simulator thing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

signalnoise posted:

I hate Fallout 3

:hai:

Fallout 3 is terrible, and Bethesda is terrible.

I hope Microsoft gives the IP to a studio who gives a drat.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Elentor posted:

Gamebryo

It really does seem like games just stopped advancing technologically with the PS2/Xbox/GCN. The graphics have gotten a little better but to such a small degree that new games exist on multiple generations of console. Bethesda can literally still run their games on the same engine they were using four consoles ago.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like Bethesda games because I can just explore a bit and have fun. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

People like wandering about looking at things. I'm currently replaying FO4 for the first time since release (I hated it) and I'm having a great time just not giving a gently caress and walking into every dirty hospital or leaking sewer pipe I see so I can read stories about skeletons who hated each other and then take the skeletons whisky and duct tape.

you just described what i did last saturday irl, I guess it's an honor that you need a virtual world running on what would have been considered supercomputing hardware 20 years ago just to catch a few fleeting moments of what it's like to be me but there is really nothing stopping you from accosting old people and stealing their whiskey

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This thread is generally pretty cool but tbqh I'm not a fan of the petty tribalism crap.

syntaxfunction posted:

I like Bethesda games because I can just explore a bit and have fun. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

The comparison I always make is to the dumb, simplified D&D games kids play. You go in a dungeon, you stab some monsters, you get cool loot. Repeat. Why? I dunno, there's an evil wizard or something. It's basic power fantasy stuff.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

you just described what i did last saturday irl, I guess it's an honor that you need a virtual world running on what would have been considered supercomputing hardware 20 years ago just to catch a few fleeting moments of what it's like to be me but there is really nothing stopping you from accosting old people and stealing their whiskey

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

The comparison I always make is to the dumb, simplified D&D games kids play. You go in a dungeon, you stab some monsters, you get cool loot. Repeat. Why? I dunno, there's an evil wizard or something. It's basic power fantasy stuff.

The problem is that fighting in Bethesda games, especially elder scrolls games, sucks really badly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Even though Lacuna left me with some choices I wasn't allowed to make, it was a better mystery game than Disco Elysium and the sheet system should be cribbed for future games.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Disco Elysium is one of the funniest games I've ever played with some of the best voice acting

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's a sort of poo poo implosion that Bethesda releases games so slowly, relying on a rose-tinted memory of exactly 2 IPs, and are so scaffolded by mods, that the perceived value of their games is pretty much always based on work other than the game itself. In the case of Fallout, they're relying on IP clout from before they even acquired the IP

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

I never had a single game over.

Every time I've tried to play it I've had multiple game overs after running out of morale within like the first hour. There's probably an efficient way to restore morale but I sure as poo poo can't find a way to stock up. Those items cost money, but you don't start with any. The only way to get money seems to be to to steal it from the sleeping dude at the bar. I hope I beat the 50% dice roll though, otherwise I'll lose 1 morale, my character will break down about how life is so unfair and it'll kick me back to the last time I saved: several very long conversations about politics ago.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

signalnoise posted:

It's a sort of poo poo implosion that Bethesda releases games so slowly, relying on a rose-tinted memory of exactly 2 IPs, and are so scaffolded by mods, that the perceived value of their games is pretty much always based on work other than the game itself. In the case of Fallout, they're relying on IP clout from before they even acquired the IP

And they had to chase that clout, and dick the people who earned it over, to publish their only Fallout game that resembles a Fallout game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Caesar Saladin posted:

The problem is that fighting in Bethesda games, especially elder scrolls games, sucks really badly.

So does fighting in D&D. :razz:

signalnoise posted:

People always say things like this but the whole reason why Bethesda went they way they did was because Oblivion did gangbusters on the 360 with no mods. And I seem to recall a statistic going around that most people, if they do install mods, go for minor QoL tweaks rather than huge overhauls or w/e.