Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

And I assume he went on to have the same kind of normal, safe and trouble free childhood that every child star has which always leads to them growing into a healthy well balanced adult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kurt Russell posted:

You have criminals doing horrible things and you have cops trying to stop them. The cops have been hired by society to do that, but society hired the cops within guidelines and what many cops find out is that they can't always stop criminals within these guidelines. So, if you hold hard and fast to the rules, the crime rate goes through the roof; once you relax the guidelines, and if you're the individual cop that's going to do that, you bring crime down but you have society on your back for breaking the rules. It's a ball that goes back and forth.

Yes, totally normal.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kurt Russell, Society Understander

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
child acting is hosed up on every level, and could explain the conservative political instincts of most actors... though id be more willing to be it's their income that makes them think conservative things. Fantastic how child labor is super illegal except for if they are trying to make a tv show!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Call him snake

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

Call him snake

More like oldlegless.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
General IIMM (more of a TV thing actually): When people say "screw you!" because networks won't allow them to say "gently caress you!" I am convinced that nobody over the age of 8 has ever actually said "screw you" to somebody. No actor is able to pull it off. The only time it has ever worked is in Total Recall because it was a ridiculous Arnold pun.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Non-cgi The Matrix complaint: At least in 4k, during the opening set piece it is much too obvious that the city in the background is a flat painting.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Matrix has a bunch of practical effects that are only there for a split second and not really visible in SD.

Like the hidden camera in the reflection of the door knob.

Just throw a blanket over it and paint it to match Morpheus' tie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I love Boogie Nights and Alfred Molina's scene in particular but, as a former coke fiend, couple things bug me:

1. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is going to buy cocaine from anyone without doing a bump or two, a key blast or at least tasting or smelling it. My man just gives it over to his bodyguard to weigh and even he doesn't test it, smell it or instantly recognize the difference between baking soda and coke, which is easy to spot. That con/burn wouldn't have taken a minute, let alone 5. It's not like Molina knew and trusted Todd either since he barely remembered his name or even where he knew him from.

You also don't bring two unknown people with you to drug deal, especially one involving half a kilo. Hell, my friends had to wait in the car if I went in to cop even a gram and dealers were particularly squirrely about strangers.

2. When Molina is freebasing, his pipe has water in it which is a big no no. Cocaine is water soluble and, back in my less respectful days, we never EVER smoked freebase through a water bong like that.

I guess one can chalk it up to the character being based out of his mind and having been up for 3 days or whatever but it still didn't ring true.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Saw the new Spider-Man movie today, and it was pretty great. Only thing that kinda bugged me was (and this is a big spoiler so don't read it if you wanna be surprised in the movie) somehow the villains got yanked from the respective universes, and then the other spidermen did, but the villains were from a different era in time than the spidermen. No idea why it yanked them outta the past but got the spidermen from present day.

Just thought that was weird. Still, loved the movie.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Saw the new Spider-Man movie today, and it was pretty great. Only thing that kinda bugged me was (and this is a big spoiler so don't read it if you wanna be surprised in the movie) somehow the villains got yanked from the respective universes, and then the other spidermen did, but the villains were from a different era in time than the spidermen. No idea why it yanked them outta the past but got the spidermen from present day.

I thought it was because they had all died in their universe, and had been picked out just before that happened. Since the other spidermans hadn't died, they were taken from the present day. Or, you know, magic.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A wizard did it.

e; woops sorry spoiled the whole movie

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Dec 21, 2021

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Torquemada posted:

And he was basically canonised by Walt Disney himself at like 8 years old.
disney wrote "kurt russel" on a notepad minutes before he died

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Unrelay that but still a NWH spoiler:

It was odd how fast the whole "Law enforcement thinks he murdered Quinton Beck and had drones attack London" plotline that was the GIANT HOOK from the previous movie is resolved. I get that it was just needed as part of the impetus to get Peter to want Dr.Strange to help, but still weird it lasted all of five minutes.
But we got Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock again, though not officially Daredevil... technically... but still cool.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The villains were also from different eras than each other, fwiw.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Unrelay that but still a NWH spoiler:

It was odd how fast the whole "Law enforcement thinks he murdered Quinton Beck and had drones attack London" plotline that was the GIANT HOOK from the previous movie is resolved. I get that it was just needed as part of the impetus to get Peter to want Dr.Strange to help, but still weird it lasted all of five minutes.
But we got Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock again, though not officially Daredevil... technically... but still cool.

I mean, a guy just saying it with zero proof wouldn't really stand up in court.

Saw Nightmare Alley, the new GDT film and while it was definitely cool Bradley Cooper is a little too old for how everyone treats him in the opening.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this! posted:

I mean, a guy just saying it with zero proof wouldn't really stand up in court.

Jameson has video evidence that everyone accepts is proof Peter is Spider-Man. They just stop accepting that it's proof Peter is a murderer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

disney wrote "kurt russel" on a notepad minutes before he died

He was trying to tell who his killer was

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

KozmoNaut posted:

The Matrix has a bunch of practical effects that are only there for a split second and not really visible in SD.

did you mean this for the subtle thread cause its definitely not irritating

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Carthag Tuek posted:

did you mean this for the subtle thread cause its definitely not irritating
Read the post before it for context

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Even though films like T2 and Jurassic Park revolutionized how cgi is used In movies they still used a lot of practical effects. Even the LOTR movies has a lot of miniatures and stuff like the flooding of Isengard was done with practical effects.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FFT posted:

Read the post before it for context

i guess. still a neat trick

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Alhazred posted:

Even though films like T2 and Jurassic Park revolutionized how cgi is used In movies they still used a lot of practical effects. Even the LOTR movies has a lot of miniatures and stuff like the flooding of Isengard was done with practical effects.
I was surprised to learn how many practical effects there in the Matrix sequels. The latest corridor crew has a good reel with them (and Adam Savage, who was part of the work crew for most of the practical stuff).

The ship ramming through Zion's gate is such an impressive practical shot. (Around 16.30min for the money shot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en7deA6dE7Y

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Dec 22, 2021

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's frustrating to realize how many special effects in Star Wars episode 1 were practical. Everything looking fake and shiny wasn't a side effect of crappy CGI, it was how Lucas wanted stuff to look. Even the painstakingly crafted models looked weirdly...not real.

The Rami Spider-Man movies feel like a high water mark for practical mixed with CGI. Spider-Man swinging around is all digital, but close up he still needed to wear a $60k custom made suit and do enough of his own stunts to gently caress up his back.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Rami Spider-Man movies feel like a high water mark for practical mixed with CGI. Spider-Man swinging around is all digital, but close up he still needed to wear a $60k custom made suit and do enough of his own stunts to gently caress up his back.

Then theres the 'mj clutching onto a spiderman model while her hair blows backwards' shot

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Then theres the 'mj clutching onto a spiderman model while her hair blows backwards' shot

I love that scene because you're not likely to notice it on your first viewing, but now it provides endless entertainment.

Also they could have easily had her hanging onto Toby. There's nothing stopping that, but they decided to spend more effort to make it look worse. They do 156 takes of the cafeteria scene, but this 3 second moment, let's fake that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh right came into this thread to post about Titans, season 3. Absolutely wild how incompetent every protagonist is so far. I'm only on episode three, so maybe things change going forward, but so far the heroes have failed in everything they have attempted to do, either by just loving up spectacularly or by playing directly into the villain's hands.

It's really annoying because this is exactly how season 2 worked: an omniscient villain that could foretell every single thing the heroes would do. And the heroes fall for it every single time. Frustrating to watch, because you know exactly what's going to happen: they're going to gently caress it up every single time until the final episode, when they don't.

Doesn't help that it's so goddamn obvious that scarecrow is runnjng the show. I mean, from his appearance as a recurring character, to drugs, to constant references of facing fears. Can't wait for that 'big reveal'.

Also in the third episode there's a device that's linked to someone's heartbeat. Multiple devices are synced to this thing so that everyone can see the heartbeat count. Does this thing have an internet connection or something, how do you 'sync' to something that has variable speed.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Oh right came into this thread to post about Titans, season 3. Absolutely wild how incompetent every protagonist is so far. I'm only on episode three, so maybe things change going forward, but so far the heroes have failed in everything they have attempted to do, either by just loving up spectacularly or by playing directly into the villain's hands.

It's really annoying because this is exactly how season 2 worked: an omniscient villain that could foretell every single thing the heroes would do. And the heroes fall for it every single time. Frustrating to watch, because you know exactly what's going to happen: they're going to gently caress it up every single time until the final episode, when they don't.

Doesn't help that it's so goddamn obvious that scarecrow is runnjng the show. I mean, from his appearance as a recurring character, to drugs, to constant references of facing fears. Can't wait for that 'big reveal'.

Also in the third episode there's a device that's linked to someone's heartbeat. Multiple devices are synced to this thing so that everyone can see the heartbeat count. Does this thing have an internet connection or something, how do you 'sync' to something that has variable speed.

It's a show for children, often those have heavily broadcast tropes because children are less familiar with the way tropes work, etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's frustrating to realize how many special effects in Star Wars episode 1 were practical. Everything looking fake and shiny wasn't a side effect of crappy CGI, it was how Lucas wanted stuff to look. Even the painstakingly crafted models looked weirdly...not real.

I think there's actually a reference to that in No Way Home when Tobey Spidey talks about having back problems and Andrew Spidey helps pop his back.

Captain Monkey posted:

It's a show for children, often those have heavily broadcast tropes because children are less familiar with the way tropes work, etc.

Pretty sure the actual Teen Titans cartoon show for children managed to talk down to them less.

It's amazing how DC has completely squandered that show's runaway popularity with demographics they'd struggled to appeal to for two decades at this point.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

It's a show for children

What with the nudity, bloodshed, profanity and all.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

rydiafan posted:

What with the nudity, bloodshed, profanity and all.
Yeah, the first ever trailer had robin saying "gently caress batman". It's a show for manchildren :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

KozmoNaut posted:

Reminds me of when I watched the original X-Men movie a couple years back in 1080 HD - some of the CGI effects were really obvious, one that stood out was the scene when Wolverine has a nightmare & stabs Rogue by mistake. The claws poking out of her back/shoulder definitely didn't blend right in HD, it looked like a hastily cobbled-together low res GIF overlay.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, the first ever trailer had robin saying "gently caress batman". It's a show for manchildren :v:

I feel like my point stands.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure the actual Teen Titans cartoon show for children managed to talk down to them less.

It's amazing how DC has completely squandered that show's runaway popularity with demographics they'd struggled to appeal to for two decades at this point.

Yeah there is a way to make hero shows for young adults that still have good plots and character development. My sister watched all of Young Justice with her daughter, for example, and had good things to say about it.

Titans is just poorly written, audience be damned. Still going to watch all of this garbage and yell at it though.

At least in shows like Flash and Green Arrow, the protagonists still have victories, often slowing down the villain's plots or at least getting distracted by other issues while the villain moves in the shadows. In this show it's pretty much

Villain: I'm going to do evil thing
Titans: No we're going to stop you from doing evil thing
Villain: Ha that was my plan all along and now evil thing actually occurred
Titans: gently caress, poo poo

Or

Titans: No wait stopping evil thing is what he wants us to do
Villain: Ha I knew youd think that so now my evil thing goes ahead anyway
Titans: rear end, poo poo, gently caress

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, Season 1 of Arrow did it brilliantly -the heroes stopped the villain's earthquake machine, but then that moment where they realise that the villain had a second earthquake machine prepped at the same time that no one knew about happens and it hits them super hard because they were so sure of themselves.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Reminds me of when I watched the original X-Men movie a couple years back in 1080 HD - some of the CGI effects were really obvious, one that stood out was the scene when Wolverine has a nightmare & stabs Rogue by mistake. The claws poking out of her back/shoulder definitely didn't blend right in HD, it looked like a hastily cobbled-together low res GIF overlay.

That's just bad CG though. They okayed that final shot. Probably had no tracking/reference for aiding in vfx. They would have been watching it in at least 2k resolution back then before printing it to film. It doesn't help that we've been rewatching it in SD for however many years.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

That Italian Guy posted:

I was surprised to learn how many practical effects there in the Matrix sequels. The latest corridor crew has a good reel with them (and Adam Savage, who was part of the work crew for most of the practical stuff).

The ship ramming through Zion's gate is such an impressive practical shot. (Around 16.30min for the money shot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en7deA6dE7Y
Reminded again of the famous trivia fact that they built two miles of freeway out in the desert somewhere for that one scene in Reloaded (totally worth it, it's the best scene in the sequels period). Also, wow Adam Savage got old real fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I was surprised to discover that a good portion of the Zion's cave is also a practical set built inside a large warehouse.