Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Begemot posted:

I dunno, I haven't had a Dun Scaith that actually wipes to Deathgaze in forever. You usually have enough people who know the fight that you can limp through that one, and then the rest of the fights are easy.

It's always fun watching half the raid go flying off the edge when he does the ice pillar attack though :allears:

If I haven't played in a while I get caught by that one the first time, every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Regalingualius posted:

The real pro strat is to not bother studying up ahead of time (or remembering) and just stay with whatever the largest mass of players is under the assumption that they know what’s up

if my group wipes in dps content i always look at who was last to die and make them my focus target, then i just follow the white arrow

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I also follow the crowd until I know a fight. That said, it is also hilarious when they bring in mechanics that require doing your own thing like hot and cold, cause doing what someone else is doing will get you killed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I frequently focus target someone who seems to know what they're doing and try to follow them around

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dun scaith is probably the raid where a critical mass of bad players can just wreck you. Not only is there deathgaze but then the one where the party has to flip the puddles to the right element and anyone can mess that up, then a final boss with multiple soak/tower mechanics and marking players with chasing multiple aoes lol

Edit: like mhach causes more wipes for sure but dun scaith is one where other people being bad feels like it directly harms you

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 22, 2021

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Dun scaith is probably the raid where a critical mass of bad players can just wreck you. Not only is there deathgaze but then the one where the party has to flip the puddles to the right element and anyone can mess that up, then a final boss with multiple soak/tower mechanics and marking players with chasing multiple aoes lol

Edit: like mhach causes more wipes for sure but dun scaith is one where other people being bad feels like it directly harms you

Earlier today as DPS I roulette'd into Dun Scaith because some giant babies had apparently just left.

It was very silly, they were already up to the second-last boss. And that's the hard one, the final boss of Dun Scaith is pretty easy as long as your brain can put together "stack + look away". The prior boss almost had a wipe, the final one was just funny goodtimes.

People who only want the Crystal Tower raids are pathetic babies who deserve no sympathy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

bewilderment posted:

Earlier today as DPS I roulette'd into Dun Scaith because some giant babies had apparently just left.

It was very silly, they were already up to the second-last boss. And that's the hard one, the final boss of Dun Scaith is pretty easy as long as your brain can put together "stack + look away". The prior boss almost had a wipe, the final one was just funny goodtimes.

People who only want the Crystal Tower raids are pathetic babies who deserve no sympathy.

I want only the NeiR raids

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My favorite raids are still the Ivalice raids. The Nier raids were already beefy enough to be kind of a slog even before the stat crunch, the Crystal Tower raids are just kind of a free space, and the Sky Pirate raids are an odd toss up. Sometimes you get a boring faceroll like Vark, sometimes you get the moderately interesting Mhach, and sometimes you get thrown into Dun Scaith.

The Ivalice raids hit a sweet spot of challenging without bosses overstaying their welcome with too-large hp pools. Except Yiazmat I guess. Orbonne's still top of the list for me, even in nerfed form.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally hit a lowbie dungeon in LDR as Sage, and man does that class feel wrong without Eukrasia.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

bewilderment posted:

I would be incredibly happy to never see Labyrinth of the Ancients ever again, personally speaking.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would be incredibly happy to never see Labyrinth of the Ancients ever again, personally speaking.

Someone isn't a fan of the Bone Zone.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Personally, I think the marvels of Syrcus were but playthings.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Terper posted:

:hai:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
puppet bunker and tower at paradigm's reach are both pretty good, but the copied factory is insanely boring. every boss has 30% too much health and not nearly enough attack patterns to justify it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I got Orbonne last night for the first time in a while and it was fun, even with several newbies there were no wipes (it came really close on TG Cid because somebody dropped two red orbs on each other, luckily We Had A Warrior).

I agree that by comparison Copied Factory is bad. Visually dull and the bosses have 25-30% too much HP.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mr. Nice! posted:

Someone isn't a fan of the Bone Zone.

Not twelve times in a row at least.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Venuz Patrol posted:

puppet bunker and tower at paradigm's reach are both pretty good, but the copied factory is insanely boring. every boss has 30% too much health and not nearly enough attack patterns to justify it

The real issue is people don't know to push buttons. I see so many reapers that don't keep their debuff up all of the time. I mentioned to a pubbie in a dungeon that it's a dps boost for him to keep it up all the time. They deliberately did not use it again the rest of the run.

A lot of people don't have a clue how to actually maximize their personal dps.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Xarbala posted:

The Ivalice raids hit a sweet spot of challenging without bosses overstaying their welcome with too-large hp pools. Except Yiazmat I guess.

Okay, so that isn't just me? I did Ridorana and Orbonne for the first time this weekend, and while I found them generally challenging and ate a lot of stupid deaths, Yiazmat in particular just seemed like he had twice as much HP as he needed. What a draining fight.

(I should probably watch some guide videos for the Ivalice raids; there were a lot of boss mechanics that I couldn't visually parse even when warned about them. I know practice will help, and hopefully I won't be incompetent at this game forever.)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

Yiazmat in particular just seemed like he had twice as much HP as he needed. What a draining fight.

This is just a faithful representation of the FF12 fight

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I feel like I could suck less at non-Crystal tower alliance raids if they showed up in the roulettes more than once a month.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yiazmat does take a long time to kill but, well, it's also explicitly a homage to the FF12 super boss right down to having 50 million hp. At least the fight encourages you to move around a lot without being unfair about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

the empire is a cancer, and i am the barber's blade

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Venuz Patrol posted:

This is wild to me. Copied Factory is my favorite of the three and my favorite alliance raid in general. I don't even like the game it's based on!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want to play aahhhh :cry:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

the empire is a cancer, and i am the barber's blade

From mortal husk I arise anew!! suffused with night I shall prevail!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thisssss shall be a muuuuurceee.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the nier raids were boring and yoko taro is a hack

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I want to play aahhhh :cry:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Badger of Basra posted:

Yep. The best part was referencing Mega-Smith from the old Matrix game at the end of the second one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

yoko taro is talented but hes also not actually the writer for the nier games

itd be like if a game had an ff14 collab with a story written by yoshi-p

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I really like the mechanics of Nier raids but the setting and story don't do anything for me.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Copied Factory owned but the other two are kind of bland, Ivalice series still the most consistently good.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Finished the story, is gearing limited to just accessories and weapons for the time being?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Pollyanna posted:

Thisssss shall be a muuuuurceee.

Open your eyes to the Darkness and drown in its loveless embrace; the gods will not be watching.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Finished the story, is gearing limited to just accessories and weapons for the time being?

You can also get left side gear from tomes and the raid that came out yesterday

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vanderdeath posted:

Open your eyes to the Darkness and drown in its loveless embrace; the gods will not be watching.

Bow to my infallible judgement!

Even after all this time, nobody chews scenery as enthusiastically as Zurvan.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Oh they released the first raid tier? Thought that wasn't coming until .1

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The normal raids just came out yesterday with a new set of 580 gear, plus there’s 570 tomestone gear you can buy.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Tangents posted:

Copied Factory owned but the other two are kind of bland, Ivalice series still the most consistently good.

The Ivalice story was awful and boring and honestly makes me hate the raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kazy posted:

The Ivalice story was awful and boring and honestly makes me hate the raids.

:hmmyes: