Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah im giving up on Lone Wolf or either gonna turn off Ironman for this.
Either I randomly run into some monsters I cant see, some brigand raiders or even the lovely brigands either get off a lucky dagger stab or mace stun and its over instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jamwad Hilder posted:

if you're looking for a good lone wolf seed here's the one I'm doing now: WaQOpjTYNt

Map is just ok but the hedge knight starts with 3 stars in MAtk, 2 in MDef, and 3 in fatigue. There are also like three or four settlements with hunters cabins.

Been while since I played but doesn’t the lone wolf have those stars in every seed?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah stars are always the same.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Aye, stars are fixed, your stats still roll normally within Hedge Knight variables. Also, the 'avatar' status of the lone wolf gives +10 Resolve, as well as excluding him from a number of negative events - such as losing items when drunk (which basically means a Drunk, Huge Lone Wolf, if his base rolls are high enough to offset the MAttk/MDef/RDef penalties, is a fearsome killing machine) or Hedge Knights duelling.

Molybdenum posted:

I'm almost certain there's an event that can get dastard removed.

There is, but I think it needs the Dastard to be a certain level, and it needs 2 brothers to be Brave or Fearless - which is by no means impossible, but you could be waiting a while if you don't already have those two in your roster.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I've solo'ed lone wolf runs up to level 12 on him before, get him an arming sword and shield and stick them in his belt. A shield, riposte and your high MD means you'll mulch everything up to and including bandit raiders, though by the time you have battledforged you will probably cheerfully solo those groups with the 2 handed sword. I do look for good seeds though and a lone wolf with determined and an offensive or defensive trait is a good LW.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

When should those mercenary background-triggered events start? I haven't played in a while, was there a minimum level? I've been seeing nothing and I'm up to doing noble quests now. Is there something I can do to rattle them loose? I got a nice collection of backgrounds that I haven't had before and would be kinda bummed to have to start over.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

When should those mercenary background-triggered events start? I haven't played in a while, was there a minimum level? I've been seeing nothing and I'm up to doing noble quests now. Is there something I can do to rattle them loose? I got a nice collection of backgrounds that I haven't had before and would be kinda bummed to have to start over.

They'll just happen at random as you go along. Every so often you get an event, and the game pulls from a random list that includes background events, location events, regular old random events, and so on. Also sometimes the backgrounds just give you new options in regular random events. If you haven't seen any background-specific ones but you have been getting random events like finding broken wagons or whatever, just keep playing and they'll turn up eventually.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

vyelkin posted:

They'll just happen at random as you go along. Every so often you get an event, and the game pulls from a random list that includes background events, location events, regular old random events, and so on. Also sometimes the backgrounds just give you new options in regular random events. If you haven't seen any background-specific ones but you have been getting random events like finding broken wagons or whatever, just keep playing and they'll turn up eventually.

Yeah idk, it really feels like nothing has happened for quite a while now, so I wondered if there's maybe been some kind of scripting hiccup or something. I'll wait and see, thanks.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Southpaugh posted:

I've solo'ed lone wolf runs up to level 12 on him before, get him an arming sword and shield and stick them in his belt. A shield, riposte and your high MD means you'll mulch everything up to and including bandit raiders, though by the time you have battledforged you will probably cheerfully solo those groups with the 2 handed sword. I do look for good seeds though and a lone wolf with determined and an offensive or defensive trait is a good LW.

Know any good seeds that have this? Wanting to start a new run and LW sounds fun.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I like the event where an assassin comes to kill a guy with the bastard background and you can pay him off to join your company

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I just had a contract to take out some Nomads (day 25-ish? My guys are in mail shirts, levels 4-7 with a mix of good-early and proper good potential bros) - event text pops up and they've got an Assassin with them. Had to retake the fight a few times since as well as chucking those goddamn bombs he typically cuts a bloke's head off in 2-4 blows.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Genghis Cohen posted:

I just had a contract to take out some Nomads (day 25-ish? My guys are in mail shirts, levels 4-7 with a mix of good-early and proper good potential bros) - event text pops up and they've got an Assassin with them. Had to retake the fight a few times since as well as chucking those goddamn bombs he typically cuts a bloke's head off in 2-4 blows.
I dunno when they start getting the good gear but the proper assassin robes and masks are straight up the best non-famed nimble armor in the game

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
this game is too loving hard imvho

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

You can make it fairly casual by playing on beginner combat and using save+load liberally but idk what you're looking for in your experience. Chances are that there are ways in the game to overcome what is beating you and clear knowledge of the game and its mechanics is a real edge too

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

don't be afraid to walk away from a fight you can't win or a contract that is going to cost you more than it is worth

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112?lang=en

you are playing a scummy mercenary captain, not the sworn defenders of the realm

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

camoseven posted:

this game is too loving hard imvho

It is tough but if you are playing on ironman I would actually recommend not doing it - the game goes from brutal to just plain unfun in Ironman IMO. I do promise you can get better at the game over time, you can click the "see my posts" under my name and watch my journey from guy who can't even get to first crisis on beginner to guy who nitpicks about balance on Day 300+ expert campaigns. I'm sure lots of us old heads have similar journeys

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tin Tim posted:

You can make it fairly casual by playing on beginner combat and using save+load liberally but idk what you're looking for in your experience. Chances are that there are ways in the game to overcome what is beating you and clear knowledge of the game and its mechanics is a real edge too

don't save+load after each merc death tho, the wheel of life and death must keep on turning :ssh:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I dunno when they start getting the good gear but the proper assassin robes and masks are straight up the best non-famed nimble armor in the game

Yes, I did initially try killing everyone else and then daggering him, but he was too dangerous and the rest of the group (~12 Nomads) was enough for my 7 amateurs to handle. Once or twice I got through with 1-2 of my better bros dead or maimed and his mask, but it didn't seem worth it. When I finally got through with no losses, I wasn't fussed about trying again.

rideANDxORdie posted:

It is tough but if you are playing on ironman I would actually recommend not doing it - the game goes from brutal to just plain unfun in Ironman IMO. I do promise you can get better at the game over time, you can click the "see my posts" under my name and watch my journey from guy who can't even get to first crisis on beginner to guy who nitpicks about balance on Day 300+ expert campaigns. I'm sure lots of us old heads have similar journeys

I have played this game for hundreds of hours as an inveterate save-scummer. I have done shitloads of crises and assembled a good few late-game companies laden with famed equipment. I have still never done the Black Monolith or most other end-game locations, or played on Ironman. I can't imagine how infuriating it must be to spend hours on a run and see it all go down the tubes to a mis-play or a simple string of bad rolls.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yes, I did initially try killing everyone else and then daggering him, but he was too dangerous and the rest of the group (~12 Nomads) was enough for my 7 amateurs to handle. Once or twice I got through with 1-2 of my better bros dead or maimed and his mask, but it didn't seem worth it. When I finally got through with no losses, I wasn't fussed about trying again.

I have played this game for hundreds of hours as an inveterate save-scummer. I have done shitloads of crises and assembled a good few late-game companies laden with famed equipment. I have still never done the Black Monolith or most other end-game locations, or played on Ironman. I can't imagine how infuriating it must be to spend hours on a run and see it all go down the tubes to a mis-play or a simple string of bad rolls.

Most of the legendary locations aren't worth the headaches TBH, I like the Ijirok fights b/c you can do them relatively early. Witches' Hut (the one w/ a hodgepodge of beasts + Hexens) is alright too. I've only ever done Black Monolith and Sea of Tents once. Tried the Kraken once and gently caress that. Still haven't done the Blazing Deserts one but to my knowledge it has a gimmick that makes it more interesting than the just "shitload of high-tier enemies" ones like Monolith and Sea of Tents

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Any tips on where to go to find wild spawns of beasts? It feels like they've been all but eliminated from the world map and tied to village contracts over the course of the games development. Against my better judgement I took one of those "go to area and kill certain types of beasts" contracts. I found two small groups in the designated area but have now spent several days waltzing through forests and around mountains across the map and haven't found a single beast spawn. Found plenty of bandits or undead patrols and lots of camps but not a single drat wolf, spider oder nacho :argh:

I mean I know I can turn the contract in at any time but I'm at 15/30 heads and you know I can't just let it stand like that. It's a loss of around 700 gold buddy

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

It’s a loss of a lot more than that to keep paying and feeding your guys.

And yeah those missions suck, don’t do them. Unless maybe if you want the parts for crafting, taking the mission might spawn a stack or two of beasts but idk

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 22, 2021

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Usually you'd be right about the losses but I'm playing peasants and my costs for wages&supplies don't even come close to the money I made on the way by killing patrols and busting camps. I even threw out 5k for the wagon upgrade at some point because I was getting so stacked :v:

It's just a bummer that beast spawns have become so dang rare tbh. I mean I remember having trouble during the last time I seriously searched for pelts, hides, and white fur but I didn't realize that it has gotten this bad on pretty much every type of beast.

Wafflecopper posted:

And yeah those missions suck, don’t do them. Unless maybe if you want the parts for crafting, taking the mission might spawn a stack or two of beasts but idk
Yeah they suck but the mission lined up with my interests at the time so I took it. And I'm pretty sure that it indeed does spawn a small amount of enemies for you since I found two small groups of nachos in the designated area which is infested by orcs and their camps.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Tin Tim posted:

Any tips on where to go to find wild spawns of beasts? It feels like they've been all but eliminated from the world map and tied to village contracts over the course of the games development. Against my better judgement I took one of those "go to area and kill certain types of beasts" contracts. I found two small groups in the designated area but have now spent several days waltzing through forests and around mountains across the map and haven't found a single beast spawn. Found plenty of bandits or undead patrols and lots of camps but not a single drat wolf, spider oder nacho :argh:

I mean I know I can turn the contract in at any time but I'm at 15/30 heads and you know I can't just let it stand like that. It's a loss of around 700 gold buddy

I just had the same experience. It was the first noble house contract offered to me, and I took it. Went to the area where I was supposed to find the beasts and nothing. 0/18 after three days and I am starting to run out of money.

This game is also the first where I've seen the "miller's hut" thing that promises a bad rear end sword of some sort if I manage to kill "the great beast." I thought maybe the two were connected, but there's not a beast in sight, great or otherwise.

I had just taken the cart ambition before accepting that contract and was well on my way to getting it. At this point if I can find a single beast encounter I'll head back and turn in whatever I manage to get. I just hope something pops up in the next day or so.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cruising through unexplored regions and shaking down locations for their stuff is p decent value for money. 200+ each for a lot of the weapons, plus a goblet, silver cutlery, salt or whatever, and usually you get food and other supplies too so you can keep going. Hop onto the edge of a mountain hex now and then to take a look around.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah you should very much pounce on any patrols and most camps while you're out in the wilds to get supplies and cash

rojay posted:

This game is also the first where I've seen the "miller's hut" thing that promises a bad rear end sword of some sort if I manage to kill "the great beast." I thought maybe the two were connected, but there's not a beast in sight, great or otherwise.
It's a legendary location that will spawn in every game (there are a few others too btw). It's not insanely hard but imo you should not gently caress with it until you're solid in the midgame and can afford to lose a good brother or two

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I won't see beasts for hours and then all of a sudden I'll run into a group of 6 scrats

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah you should very much pounce on any patrols and most camps while you're out in the wilds to get supplies and cash

It's a legendary location that will spawn in every game (there are a few others too btw). It's not insanely hard but imo you should not gently caress with it until you're solid in the midgame and can afford to lose a good brother or two

Is that something that came in with a DLC or a patch? Because I took a good six months off before coming back to BB, but it's also possible that I simply never hovered my cursor over the building before.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

rojay posted:

Is that something that came in with a DLC or a patch? Because I took a good six months off before coming back to BB, but it's also possible that I simply never hovered my cursor over the building before.
Legendary locations first came with the Beasts & Exploration DLC iirc but Blazing Sands added a few more. There are actually quite a lot of them tbh and I think they all spawn each time you make a map. A couple of them have minor events, minor rewards, or fights that are mostly designed for the serious min-max part of the playerbase. The Wiki has a page where you can see all the locations without having their content spoilered.

I actively look for a certain few of them in each game but don't sweat it past that

E: Also I made an oopsie and the location you found actually isn't mid-game level but very much endgame :ssh:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 23, 2021

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Tin Tim posted:

Legendary locations first came with the Beasts & Exploration DLC iirc but Blazing Sands added a few more. There are actually quite a lot of them tbh and I think they all spawn each time you make a map. A couple of them have minor events, minor rewards, or fights that are mostly designed for the serious min-max part of the playerbase. The Wiki has a page where you can see all the locations without having their content spoilered.

I actively look for a certain few of them in each game but don't sweat it past that

E: Also I made an oopsie and the location you found actually isn't mid-game level but very much endgame :ssh:

Thank you. I have B&E, but not Blazing Sands. I come back to this game every few months, and I'll pick up the rest of the expansions before long. I can see this game being one I come back to years from now.

I am certainly not ready for endgame content on this run. I think I ran across that mill around day 30-35.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The mill has a prerequisite legendary location you have to do before you can go back for the sword. Both are fun! But as mentioned you need to be ready to have some brothers die, potentially good ones even.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Tin Tim posted:

Legendary locations first came with the Beasts & Exploration DLC iirc

I thought Black Monolith and the Goblin City were both in since launch?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wafflecopper posted:

I thought Black Monolith and the Goblin City were both in since launch?

Yeah but there wasn't really the concept of a legendary location until B&E and I think the patch notes for B&E list them as being converted in to legendary locations :v: the distinction doesn't matter on the player side of things but it's also true the mill and swamp circle being discussed were added in B&E.

rojay posted:

I am certainly not ready for endgame content on this run. I think I ran across that mill around day 30-35.

The mill event and the legendary location that unlocks it account for 2 of the 3 hardest fights in the game :v: IIRC the common wisdom players extol for when you're ready to take on the first of the two is 'when you can field 10 melee fighters with 90+ MATK each'

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

The mill event and the legendary location that unlocks it account for 2 of the 3 hardest fights in the game :v: IIRC the common wisdom players extol for when you're ready to take on the first of the two is 'when you can field 10 melee fighters with 90+ MATK each'
Not sure if it still works but you used to be able to completely cheese the first part with one single brother that was built and equipped in a certain way :ssh:

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Not sure if it still works but you used to be able to completely cheese the first part with one single brother that was built and equipped in a certain way :ssh:

I think this has been patched and it was something so weird there's no way anyone would suss out doing it that way versus the traditional slog on their first try w/o relying on spoilers/guides

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I mean yeah most people would not end up with an idea like the one I'm talking about but tbh when you break it down it makes sense and is a pretty mundane application of the game's tools and rules

The strat I'm refering to is based on a brother with as much Mdef as possible and a bunch of defensive perks along with cleaver spec and lone wolf. Also with boosts from stamina+wound pots, powder if possible, wearing ijirok armor, a polehammer and a whip+shield, along with the goblin necklace. The effect of the necklace means the tentacles can't do anything to you in the first phase so you move to the best tile that is 2 spaces away from the kraken's head and hammer away the armor. Then you move to the best tile that's 3 spaces away from the head and start to whip it. You only need to bring out the shield once you've hurt the head enough for the tentacles to switch into rage mode and then it's a race between your whip DPS and the hit % of the tentacles. Iirc only up to 4 tentacles will respawn once the kraken is down to like a third of its health so it's helpful to put all of them on low health during the first phase so that you can quickly kill a few of them in the last stretch of the fight.

This strat needs a lot of prep-work, is very tedious, and the fight easily takes over 60 turns so I wouldn't consider it to be some grand exploit that needed to be fixed. I mean only a very specific set of the playerbase is even willing to do this :v:

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Count Uvula posted:

Yeah but there wasn't really the concept of a legendary location until B&E and I think the patch notes for B&E list them as being converted in to legendary locations :v: the distinction doesn't matter on the player side of things but it's also true the mill and swamp circle being discussed were added in B&E.

:bighow:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Merry Christmas, Battle Goons

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I finally managed to recruit the man who never gets tired

He used to gently caress with the man splitter and it still comes out for fun sometimes but he's too rad to lose to some orc with a man splitter

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Does anyone have any good build ideas for making use of the Spear of Longinus? I had it as a backup weapon for an archer until I discovered you could throw the drat thing and now it's on my Hybrid Thrower/Whipper with high M/R ATK. Is that the best place for it or should I consider putting it on a frontline bro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Donkringel posted:

Does anyone have any good build ideas for making use of the Spear of Longinus? I had it as a backup weapon for an archer until I discovered you could throw the drat thing and now it's on my Hybrid Thrower/Whipper with high M/R ATK. Is that the best place for it or should I consider putting it on a frontline bro?

Dear god, what (in the context of this game) is the Spear of Longinus? I've never even heard of this part of the game.